***The Official Philadelphia Phillies 2012 Thread***

Comments

• The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    I'm not ready to blow this out of proportion. And if he does have some kind of surgery, I don't think they would do something that would make him miss the entire season. So if they're going to do something that takes him out for a couple months, do it now.

did you see the brandon inge quotes? he went through the same thing. not good

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/phil ... _pain.html
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,989
    The Fixer wrote:
    I'm not ready to blow this out of proportion. And if he does have some kind of surgery, I don't think they would do something that would make him miss the entire season. So if they're going to do something that takes him out for a couple months, do it now.

did you see the brandon inge quotes? he went through the same thing. not good

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/phil ... _pain.html

Yeah, but apparently he had it in both knees. And there's different levels of it depending on how severe it is. I'm just not willing to give in to freak-out mode just yet. Optimistic view is surgery and 6-8 weeks, worst case is all year, so we'll see. Hopefully he just doesn't need surgery at all and they're just making sure not to rush anything.
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    The Fixer wrote:

ha, my bad. I'm not in the best mood after hearing this utley news.
    it's all good. i would be too if i was u.
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,741
    Here is what boggles my mind and it is the same thing that happened to Arod, why do these players wait till spring training to bring this up? Arod did the same thing with his hip and opted for a minor surgery that would allow him to play at less than 100% rather than the hip surgery that would have had him out at least until the all star break. I actually think it was the same hip surgery Utley had. I know these guys want to play but you are going to get on the field quicker if you let people know about your issues earlier.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Here is what boggles my mind and it is the same thing that happened to Arod, why do these players wait till spring training to bring this up? Arod did the same thing with his hip and opted for a minor surgery that would allow him to play at less than 100% rather than the hip surgery that would have had him out at least until the all star break. I actually think it was the same hip surgery Utley had. I know these guys want to play but you are going to get on the field quicker if you let people know about your issues earlier.

utley's actually played through this for the past couple of years. apparently it has gotten worse in spring training.

I'm wth JP...not ready to freak out yet. certainly not the best news though
    The Fixer wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

utley's actually played through this for the past couple of years. apparently it has gotten worse in spring training.

I guess but he played like 3 days in spring training so I would imagine it has been an issue through his offseason workouts.

Not saying you guys should freak out, if he misses a couple months, it's no big deal. Just getting worse and worse every day.
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,613
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

I guess but he played like 3 days in spring training so I would imagine it has been an issue through his offseason workouts.

Not saying you guys should freak out, if he misses a couple months, it's no big deal. Just getting worse and worse every day.

cliff funny you mention that because i had the same conversation with people at work today. if he played through it last year and it still lingered after the season...why not tell someone asap?

jp--where did you hear surgery would have a 6-8 week recovery time? everything i've seen is it is essentially season ending if they went that route. i'm thinking that's why they have not done it yet. if it's just a 2 month thing, they should have gotten it over with a couple weeks ago. i think they know its season ending so it makes sense to wait and continue the rest route for as long as they possibly can.

i'm not freaking out either. but as much as we'd all like to think this is just a minor story getting blown out of proportion, looking at it objectively....this fucking SUCKS.
    www.myspace.com
    On DNL they had a doctor on from Virtua and explained everything in detail and said that's best case scenario.

cliff funny you mention that because i had the same conversation with people at work today. if he played through it last year and it still lingered after the season...why not tell someone asap?

jp--where did you hear surgery would have a 6-8 week recovery time? everything i've seen is it is essentially season ending if they went that route. i'm thinking that's why they have not done it yet. if it's just a 2 month thing, they should have gotten it over with a couple weeks ago. i think they know its season ending so it makes sense to wait and continue the rest route for as long as they possibly can.

i'm not freaking out either. but as much as we'd all like to think this is just a minor story getting blown out of proportion, looking at it objectively....this fucking SUCKS.

Yeah, it makes no sense to me. It happens all the time, these injuries that are obiously lingering and they had to have felt during the offseason only come up in the spring. It's bizarre, get it fixed and rehab it.

So Jeags, does the 162-0 prediction still stand? Maybe the Phillies will lose a few games now?
    But, with Utley out this is how I would make the lineup...

1.Victorino-CF
    2.Polanco-3B
    3.Rollins-SS
    4.Howard-1B
    5/6-Ibanez/Francisco depending on righty/lefty
    7.Ruiz-C
    8.Young-2B

If they do end up going through the first couple months without him, I could see them making a move for a dude like Keppinger. I like that move.
  • Phantom PainPhantom Pain Posts: 9,876
    On DNL they had a doctor on from Virtua and explained everything in detail and said that's best case scenario.

Jim-Phuckin-Dandy
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers

1.Victorino-CF
    2.Polanco-3B
    3.Rollins-SS
    4.Howard-1B
    7.Ruiz-C
    8.Young-2B

If they do end up going through the first couple months without him, I could see them making a move for a dude like Keppinger. I like that move.

Who is Young? What do you think about that lineup? Utley makes a huge difference,
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

1.Victorino-CF
    2.Polanco-3B
    3.Rollins-SS
    4.Howard-1B
    7.Ruiz-C
    8.Young-2B

Who is Young? What do you think about that lineup? Utley makes a huge difference,

Yeah, I know. Utley is hands down the most important person in that lineup. I don't care about Howard - the 3 hole hitter is your best hitter in your lineup.

Delwyn Young. There's a good shot he makes the roster.

And if that's the case, I gotta think they look somewhere. That's the possibility of losing a lot of production.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

1.Victorino-CF
    2.Polanco-3B
    3.Rollins-SS
    4.Howard-1B
    7.Ruiz-C
    8.Young-2B

Yeah, I know. Utley is hands down the most important person in that lineup. I don't care about Howard - the 3 hole hitter is your best hitter in your lineup.

And if that's the case, I gotta think they look somewhere. That's the possibility of losing a lot of production.

I like delwyn young too. Sucks that we are sitting here trying to talk ourselves into thinking that young will be capable if he has to start.

All I gotta say is mayberry better not make this team. Actually there could be a trade...mayberry and maybe a low level pitching prospect for keppinger.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

1.Victorino-CF
    2.Polanco-3B
    3.Rollins-SS
    4.Howard-1B
    7.Ruiz-C
    8.Young-2B

Not to start the argument again, but Utley is clearly much more important to the Phillies lineup than Howard. That would be rough. Was interesting to hear what Utley had to say about it, basically that he is trying to learn everything he can and make the best decision. I keep saying it, but it sounds a lot like Arod with his hip. Two completely different injuries though.

Hypothetical question, if Utley is out for the year (worst case scenario), would you trade Oswalt for a bat? I think you would have to consider it, the pitching is great, but I can't see that lineup winning the world series. Then again, the Giants just did with their lineup but that does not happen often.

Gotcha, I don't know anything about him, will have to take a look.
    The Fixer wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

I like delwyn young too. Sucks that we are sitting here trying to talk ourselves into thinking that young will be capable if he has to start.

All I gotta say is mayberry better not make this team. Actually there could be a trade...mayberry and maybe a low level pitching prospect for keppinger.

The biggest problem is that's not a power hitting lineup. They gotta start playing more small ball. As much as I like Francisco, it'd difficult to lose Werth AND Utley, if that's the case.
    Cliff, as for trading Oswalt, I'd think about it - just because it frees up a lot of money for other moves. And I'm sure Blanton could become even more expendable as the year goes on. Either/or would make sense. I just don't wanna get too irrational about this yet. The season is soooooo long, and I really don't think Utley will miss the entire thing.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Hypothetical question, if Utley is out for the year (worst case scenario), would you trade Oswalt for a bat? I think you would have to consider it, the pitching is great, but I can't see that lineup winning the world series. Then again, the Giants just did with their lineup but that does not happen often.

Man, sucks to even think about this. Would depend on who the bat is. Also not sure if oswalt still has a no trade since he got traded (he did with houston and it's same contract). I would think he still has veto power.

Could be a lot of 2 hour phils games this year. their pitchers all work quick and utley is one of the few guys in that lineup that works the count
    Yeah, Oswalt can still veto I believe. I'm assuming Blanton is the only logical choice.
    Cliff, as for trading Oswalt, I'd think about it - just because it frees up a lot of money for other moves. And I'm sure Blanton could become even more expendable as the year goes on. Either/or would make sense. I just don't wanna get too irrational about this yet. The season is soooooo long, and I really don't think Utley will miss the entire thing.

I hear you and you know me, I just like thinking about trades and what I would do in that situation. Yeah, Blanton is obviously more expendable, but that's not going to get you a decent bat. I hear you though, getting ahead of myself, I just like thinking about this shit. It is a long season.
    Someone else have a take on the lineup? To me, that's the only way that makes sense.
    The Fixer wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Man, sucks to even think about this. Would depend on who the bat is. Also not sure if oswalt still has a no trade since he got traded (he did with houston and it's same contract). I would think he still has veto power.

Could be a lot of 2 hour phils games this year. their pitchers all work quick and utley is one of the few guys in that lineup that works the count

I don't think it sucks that much. You guys aren't in love with Oswalt (well at least as much as the other 3) and would still have a legit rotation, plus a much needed bat. I think you're right about the no trade though.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Yeah, it makes no sense to me. It happens all the time, these injuries that are obiously lingering and they had to have felt during the offseason only come up in the spring. It's bizarre, get it fixed and rehab it.

So Jeags, does the 162-0 prediction still stand? Maybe the Phillies will lose a few games now?

they may lose about 20 games now.
    www.myspace.com
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

I don't think it sucks that much. You guys aren't in love with Oswalt (well at least as much as the other 3) and would still have a legit rotation, plus a much needed bat. I think you're right about the no trade though.

only meant that the scenario you laid out would suck.

this thread is making me want to drink
    The Fixer wrote:
    only meant that the scenario you laid out would suck.

this thread is making me want to drink

Yeah, that would surely suck for you guys. It's too bad because he's the only Phillie that I like, which my friends bust my balls to no end about.

I'm on it, a bunch of jack and cokes in.
  • Phantom PainPhantom Pain Posts: 9,876
    Is this the path Utley's career is going to continue to take every year ?

The sliding injury was flukey but the hip and now the knee

Just seems like every year it's something...bad luck ? or is he breaking down ?
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers

hate to say it, but probably some of each
    The Fixer wrote:

Yeah, doesn't look like the guy is going to play into his 40's. Too bad because dude can hit.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

Yeah, doesn't look like the guy is going to play into his 40's. Too bad because dude can hit.

The only way Chut would play until 40 is if he learned to scale it back some...which, I don't ever see happening.
    good for chuck... :clap::clap:

POSTED: March 10, 2011 It's official: Manuel and Phillies agree to two-year deal
    By DAVID MURPHY

CLEARWATER, Fla. -- After months of negotiations, the Phillies and Charlie Manuel have finally agreed to extend his tenure beyond 2011. The two sides have agreed on a two-year contract that will keep Manuel in Philadelphia through the 2013 season.

The deal is believed to be worth between $7 million and $8 million.

“We are pleased to have come to terms with Charlie,” general manager Ruben Amaro Jr. said in a statement. “He has been an integral part of the success we’ve had over the past several years. There was little doubt that he was going to continue to be our skipper past his current contract and we look forward to the next three years with the hopes of continued success.”

Manuel acknowledged yesterday that the two sides were close to a deal. In 6 years with the Phillies, Manuel has compiled a 544-428 record. He should pass Danny Ozark's 594 victories for third place on the franchise's all-time win list this season.

Gene Mauch is in first place with 646 wins, followed by Harry Wright with 636.

Manuel's teams have never finished lower than second place in the NL East. The Phillies have won at least 90 games in three straight seasons, including a major league-high 97 in 2010.

"I set the length of the deal because I'm going to be 69 years old or something when the deal runs out and I'll sit down and I'll kind of evaluate where I'm at and I'll talk to them and see where they are at," Manuel said. "As long as I stay healthy, I think I'm probably going to want to stay in the game. I'm going to manage as long as I can. I'm not ready for somebody to say, I'm going to retire Charlie. If I'm going to retire, I'm going to retire myself."

The seventh-year skipper entered the 2007 season in the final year of a 3-year contract. He did not sign an extension until after the Phillies rallied to win the National League East, overtaking the Mets on the final day of the regular season.

"In some ways, I'm kind of glad to have it over with, because I want to stay focused on what we're doing," Manuel said. "I never thought about doing anything else."

During Manuel’s tenure as manager (2005-10), the Phillies have had the best record among all National League teams at 544-428. He has led the club to four consecutive division titles (2007-10), two NL pennants (2008-09) and one World Series Championship (2008). Last year, despite six of his eight starting position players having stints on the disabled list, he guided the team to best record in the major leagues (97-65).

Manuel is one of only two managers in NL history, along with Bobby Cox, to win four straight division titles since divisional play began in 1969 (Cox won 14 straight with Atlanta, 1991-93; 1995-2005). Overall, Manuel has a career managerial record of 764-618. During the postseason, he is 27-19, which is tied for the third-most wins among active managers (with Jim Leyland), trailing only Tony La Russa (59) and Terry Francona (28).
    www.myspace.com
This discussion has been closed.