***The Official Philadelphia Phillies 2012 Thread***

Comments

• The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    2 - I wasn't worried about Utley until I heard about the shot. Hopefully they are just experimenting on how to handle this and they can figure out how to deal with it

U don't experiment with a cortisone shot. My dad has had 2 in his knee already and he's far from better. With Utley's profession this could be an injury that could hamper his career. This is serious no matter what they say all Phillies fans should be very nervous.

I won't start worrying about utley until the week before spring training. Even if he has to miss some time in april it's not that big of a deal.

Just make sure he's right before you put him on the field
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,613
    The Fixer wrote:

Yeah, apparently he finally got a hit before leaving. So hopefully it's nothing too terrible.

On an unrelated note - burning your shit now....

EDIT: Damnit. Just got the news. He broke a bone in his hand.

EDIT EDIT: Shit. It's a bone that usually requires surgery. GOD. DAMNIT.

1 - Not too worried about brown. Sucks he got hurt, but could be the best thing for him. He was a mess anyway. And Francisco deserves a shot anyway IMO.

2 - I wasn't worried about Utley until I heard about the shot. Hopefully they are just experimenting on how to handle this and they can figure out how to deal with it.

That article I posted really hits home. Rollins is huge this year. I like Delwyn Young, but can you imagine a Young/Valdez middle infield??? Yikes.

3 - DVDs......YES!!!!!! CAn't f'ing wait

yeah i cannt wait for these digital versatile disc's to arrive. i've got a mini contingent of our halloween tailgate ready to come over and recreate the magic (with the exception of what happened across the street) once these babies arrive. way to be jp.

i just feel bad for brown. horrible first couple weeks...then he gets his first hit which might make him think he's about to break out---then boom--he breaks his fucking hand. that is rough. luckily ben fransisco looks ready to go.

utley---i'm a little more concerned after reading gelb's article today. 4 guys had the same injury last year. 2 had season ending injuries. one had a down year. but josh hamilton played through and won the mvp. :) :? .......well let's hope for the latter gentlemen :mrgreen:
    www.myspace.com
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,741
    You guys read what Neyer had to say about the broken bone? That it usually takes about a year or so to get your power back after this bone has been broken.
    The Fixer wrote:
    I don't agree with everything in this piece, but it's a nice dose of reality.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.ph ... -phillies/

I think this is good and I think the Utley and Brown situation just goes to show that championships are not won in February. It's a long season and lots can happen.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:
    I don't agree with everything in this piece, but it's a nice dose of reality.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.ph ... -phillies/

I think this is good and I think the Utley and Brown situation just goes to show that championships are not won in February. It's a long season and lots can happen.

championships are won in march.
    www.myspace.com
  • Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Posts: 11,418
    The Fixer wrote:
    3 - DVDs......YES!!!!!! CAn't f'ing wait

yeah i cannt wait for these digital versatile disc's to arrive. i've got a mini contingent of our halloween tailgate ready to come over and recreate the magic (with the exception of what happened across the street) once these babies arrive. way to be jp.

Did I get lost? What happened?
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave Posts: 41,834
    pathetic game guys! :roll:

eidt. oooops meant to post this in the Flyers thread not the phillies :lol:
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    You guys read what Neyer had to say about the broken bone? That it usually takes about a year or so to get your power back after this bone has been broken.

I can't stand neyer, so I didn't see his article. I know that the hamate is no joke though. A lot of guys (derrek lee, nomar, etc) never recover from this injury. Doesn't sound like brown's injury is as serious as those examples, so I guess we will see.

It's a lot easier to add bats than arms during the year. And Francisco will be OK in RF.

Now get to April 1st already
  • neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    ny busting up philly again :lol:;)
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......

huh? :?
    www.myspace.com
  • neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057

7 1 yanks bottom 7 kid
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,799
    pathetic game guys! :roll:

eidt. oooops meant to post this in the Flyers thread not the phillies :lol:

:lol::lol:

7 1 yanks bottom 7 kid

ah.....big win for the yanks if they hold on. BIG WIN! :lol:
    www.myspace.com
  • Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Posts: 11,418
    7 1 yanks bottom 7 kid

Man, I don't think I'll sleep tonight after this. :lol:
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
    :think:
    sooo...we're 4 days after the shot and the phils aren't saying anything about 2-6 yet.

you'd know about 3 days after if it helped or not. i don't think this is good sign fellas....
    www.myspace.com
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,989
    sooo...we're 4 days after the shot and the phils aren't saying anything about 2-6 yet.

you'd know about 3 days after if it helped or not. i don't think this is good sign fellas....

Eh...the way I see it is that you're not supposed to give those shots to that area, so they'd rather be cautious about it then just run him out there in spring training. If there's anyone who doesn't need ST, it's Chase.

I refuse to talk about this. All I will say is that most stories in spring training are more visible than they should be because the media is so bored with the sports world right now.

23 days...
    Phillies Team Physician Dr. Michael Ciccotti issued the following statement regarding Chase Utley’s health status.

“Chase has had mild patellar tendinitis and chondromalacia in the past that have previously resolved quickly. His symptoms returned during his off-season workouts, and he developed some anterior knee pain consistent with his prior history. When he reported to spring training this year, his knee was treated as it had been in the past, however his symptoms continued. An MRI was obtained that demonstrated his prior tendinitis, chondromalacia, and bone inflammation. His chondromalacia symptoms persisted in spite of focused non-operative care, including a cortisone injection. A subsequent cartilage-specific MRI was obtained confirming the initial diagnosis. Continued non-operative treatment is being carried out and additional opinions will be obtained.”

AKA - Dude's knee more sore than usual. He'll most likely be fine.
    edited March 2011
    Phillies Team Physician Dr. Michael Ciccotti issued the following statement regarding Chase Utley’s health status.

“Chase has had mild patellar tendinitis and chondromalacia in the past that have previously resolved quickly. His symptoms returned during his off-season workouts, and he developed some anterior knee pain consistent with his prior history. When he reported to spring training this year, his knee was treated as it had been in the past, however his symptoms continued. An MRI was obtained that demonstrated his prior tendinitis, chondromalacia, and bone inflammation. His chondromalacia symptoms persisted in spite of focused non-operative care, including a cortisone injection. A subsequent cartilage-specific MRI was obtained confirming the initial diagnosis. Continued non-operative treatment is being carried out and additional opinions will be obtained.”

well that is the optimistic approach from the team. but for the first time they are talking publicly about the possibility of surgery :
    http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/Phi ... Utley.html

got your package yesterday...thanks again dude. gonna give them a whirl this weekend. :thumbup:
    Post edited by The Juggler on
    www.myspace.com

well that is the optimistic approach. but for the first time they are talking publicly about the possibility of surgery :
    http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/Phi ... Utley.html

got your package yesterday...thanks again dude. gonna give them a whirl this weekend. :thumbup:

Eh, as long as he's there for the majority of the season then I'm fine.

And good to hear. Enjoy that shit.
    I would be mildly concerned if I were you guys. Seems a lot more serious than first believed and sounds like it hurts like hell. The Yanks won the world series the year Arod missed the first 2 months of the season so even if he misses a lot of time early, they should be fine. Still though, have to wonder what this does to him in the long run, does not sound like a lot of fun.
    Possible Plan Bs For Chase Utley
    By Tim Dierkes [March 9 at 9:07am CST]
    Phillies team physician Dr. Michael Ciccotti released a statement this morning regarding second baseman Chase Utley; here's an excerpt:

An MRI was obtained that demonstrated his prior tendinitis, chondromalacia, and bone inflammation. His chondromalacia symptoms persisted in spite of focused non-operative care, including a cortisone injection. A subsequent cartilage-specific MRI was obtained confirming the initial diagnosis. Continued non-operative treatment is being carried out and additional opinions will be obtained.

Additionally, here are comments from GM Ruben Amaro Jr. and head trainer Scott Sheridan, passed along by MLB.com's Todd Zolecki. Amaro at least is not considering the idea that Utley could miss the season.

ESPN's Buster Olney presumes the Phillies are at least considering which second base candidates might become available this season. We'll start with his two speculative ideas, and add a few more.

Chone Figgins, Mariners: Figgins' value is at a low point, he's owed $26MM over the next three years at the least, and switching him to second base again would be questionable.

Jeff Keppinger, Astros: He's making $2.3MM this year and is under team control for 2012 as an arbitration eligible player. He could be a good fit.

David Eckstein, free agent: SI's Jon Heyman made this suggestion on Twitter. On a minor league deal, there's no harm in adding Eckstein or a similar free agent. Others include Willy Aybar, Julio Lugo, Bobby Crosby, and Cristian Guzman, although Guzman will miss at least the first half due to family issues.

Michael Young, Rangers: Between Young's contract and Adrian Beltre's injury, this is difficult to picture. Plus it'd create another uncomfortable situation when Utley is ready to play. Heyman tweets that while the Phillies have not been in contact with the Rangers lately, top scout Charley Kerfeld is following them and Young.

Felipe Lopez, Rays: Lopez is battling with out of options Elliot Johnson for the Rays' utility infielder job. Johnson is dealing with a quad injury currently. It's possible Lopez has an opt-out if he doesn't make the team.

Luis Castillo, Mets: If Castillo is released the Phillies could take a look, but they might prefer their internal options. Castillo would only cost the league minimum.

Ramon Santiago, Tigers: He "could be a possibility" for the Phillies, tweets CBS' Danny Knobler.
    Internally, the Phillies have Wilson Valdez and Brian Bocock on the 40-man roster and Josh Barfield and Pete Orr as non-roster invitees.

Six days ago, GM Ruben Amaro Jr. said regarding Utley's injury, "I'm not going to be doing anything else because of this. I mean, we'll watch some of the other guys play, but we expect (Utley) to be our second baseman." Look for the Phillies to make a minor addition at most unless Utley's condition takes a turn for the worse.

also--looks like cholly is about to be extended....
    www.myspace.com
    I read the mlbtraderumors article earlier too. I had to clean the puke off my keyboard after i read that list of replacements.

I actually do like keppinger as a bench player. he'd be my first choice
    The Fixer wrote:
    I read the mlbtraderumors article earlier too. I had to clean the puke off my keyboard after i read that list of replacements.

I think the Yankees tried trading for Keppinger earlier this offseason for the bench. Didn't work out for some reason. I like him too, would be a good pick up for you guys.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

I think the Yankees tried trading for Keppinger earlier this offseason for the bench. Didn't work out for some reason. I like him too, would be a good pick up for you guys.

Yeah, I like Keppinger than any of those names. Cliff, this is the AAAA Phillies we're talking about. I'm sure Rube and Eddie Wade can get something done.
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    The Fixer wrote:

Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

metsfan wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

not sure why that's funny. the dude can hit and play multiple positions. solid bench guy.

it could be worse for utley...he could have beltran's knees. at least chase is only having issues in one knee, not both
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    The Fixer wrote:
    metsfan wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

not sure why that's funny. the dude can hit and play multiple positions. solid bench guy.

it could be worse for utley...he could have beltran's knees. at least chase is only having issues in one knee, not both
    no i meant the first part was funny. i actually liked keppinger for his brief stay here and never understood why omar traded him for ruben gotay :wtf: :thumbdown:, oh well.
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

I'm not ready to blow this out of proportion. And if he does have some kind of surgery, I don't think they would do something that would make him miss the entire season. So if they're going to do something that takes him out for a couple months, do it now.
    metsfan wrote:

no i meant the first part was funny. i actually liked keppinger for his brief stay here and never understood why omar traded him for ruben gotay :wtf: :thumbdown:, oh well.

ha, my bad. I'm not in the best mood after hearing this utley news.

I miss omar already
This discussion has been closed.