***The Official Philadelphia Phillies 2012 Thread***

Comments

• FenwayFaithfulFenwayFaithful Posts: 8,626
    F the Phillies and their awesome pitching staff.
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837

the phillies suck and won't make the playoffs - fixer late august 2010. :mrgreen:

how's the new job going dude?

touche. I'm usually realistic with my teams, but that astros series caused me to lose my shit.

New job is great, thanks for asking. The wife and my dog were down here this past weekend and we were out looking at houses. I'd much rather be up in the philly area, but this was too good of an opportunity to pass up. My choices were good job, but have to live in maryland or shit job, but get to live in philly. Pretty much a no brainer. Wife just got a nice raise at work...she has been looking for a new job down here, so we'll see what happens. Gonna be an interesting 2011.

How much longer til you kill off single jeagler?
    phils game is currently on MLB Network

Dom Brown's swing is ugly looking. He's a mess
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,613
    The Fixer wrote:

the phillies suck and won't make the playoffs - fixer late august 2010. :mrgreen:

touche. I'm usually realistic with my teams, but that astros series caused me to lose my shit.

New job is great, thanks for asking. The wife and my dog were down here this past weekend and we were out looking at houses. I'd much rather be up in the philly area, but this was too good of an opportunity to pass up. My choices were good job, but have to live in maryland or shit job, but get to live in philly. Pretty much a no brainer. Wife just got a nice raise at work...she has been looking for a new job down here, so we'll see what happens. Gonna be an interesting 2011.

yeah that does sound like a no brainer. good move. is she able to transfer down there?

3/19 is the day.....turning the calender today made me realize how close it actually is. :shock:
    www.myspace.com
    The Fixer wrote:

yeah that does sound like a no brainer. good move. is she able to transfer down there?

3/19 is the day.....turning the calender today made me realize how close it actually is. :shock:

we're not sure if she will be able to do that. she has been there 8 years now and she is really well liked. Pfizer doesn't have any offices between richmond and Collegeville. There is a possibility of her working remotely...ideally she will land another offer before she proposes anything. I'm sure it will all work out.

3/19 is right around the corner. Enjoy the time leading up to the big day. It can be kinda stressful, but it goes by in a flash. before you know it, it will all be over.

didn't you say you're hitting mexico for your honeymoon? Just in time for spring break. You slick son of a bitch...that is tremendous planning.
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,989
    Yeah, Murph is real good - can strip away the bullshit and get down to it. Gelb's been pretty good for being a relative newcomer.

And you're crazy to think the Tower blows. I've seen countless awesome acts there - and they were only enhanced by the acoustics.
    Yeah, Murph is real good - can strip away the bullshit and get down to it. Gelb's been pretty good for being a relative newcomer.

And you're crazy to think the Tower blows. I've seen countless awesome acts there - and they were only enhanced by the acoustics.

Eh, the tower is a pain in the ass to get to and there is nothng around. It's tough not to sound good in a place of that size. The other venues I saw EV in were wayyyy better
    The Fixer wrote:

Eh, the tower is a pain in the ass to get to and there is nothng around. It's tough not to sound good in a place of that size. The other venues I saw EV in were wayyyy better

Waterford - excellent dive bar. 69th Street Terminal - no reason to drive. I like the ghetto.
    The Fixer wrote:

Waterford - excellent dive bar. 69th Street Terminal - no reason to drive. I like the ghetto.

yeah, that's where I was for 2 nights during those shows. with all the red sox fans. brutal

EDIT: thats the night some turd told me josh bard could throw 110 MPH
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,448
    The Fixer wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:
    you guys see the game on sunday? nice to see howard in mid-season form in the field.

'but his defense has gotten so much better over the last few years'

that is the biggest bullshit line in sports history. he's a butcher

whoever had me marked down for game 3 of ST in the 'when will the fixer start bitching about ryan howard pool'. you are the winner

"spring training games are about as meaningless as the nfl preseason." -fixer.

:lol:

they absolutely are

'the phils should bring pedro feliz back' -the jeagler, pre-2009 season

don't forget:

"ruben amaro is a horrible gm" The Fixer spring 2010
    "the phils are better off with Ross Gload at 1st base" The Fixer summer 2010
    "Chase Utley is a spectacular defensive player" jearlpam0925 Feb. 2011
    pjhawks wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

"spring training games are about as meaningless as the nfl preseason." -fixer.

they absolutely are

'the phils should bring pedro feliz back' -the jeagler, pre-2009 season

don't forget:

Look, dude, I know you only come on here to stir shit up - which you're not very good at. Remember - you're not good at being an asshole, an idiot is another thing....

And Ross Gload is better defensively, and Chase is one of the better defensive 2nd basemen in the league. While you would like to incessantly bring up 3 or 4 errors from the playoffs, that can be countered all day by COUNTLESS productive plays - both offensively and defensively. There's nothing about an argument, baseball or otherwise, that I can take you seriously about.

Go back to sucking Reid's organ and using your oh so eloquant football knowledge towards that of baseball, which I've never seen you state anything other than the obvious.
    Look, dude, I know you only come on here to stir shit up - which you're not very good at. Remember - you're not good at being an asshole, an idiot is another thing....

And Ross Gload is better defensively, and Chase is one of the better defensive 2nd basemen in the league. While you would like to incessantly bring up 3 or 4 errors from the playoffs, that can be countered all day by COUNTLESS productive plays - both offensively and defensively. There's nothing about an argument, baseball or otherwise, that I can take you seriously about.

Go back to sucking Reid's organ and using your oh so eloquant football knowledge towards that of baseball, which I've never seen you state anything other than the obvious.

he didn't say ross gload was better defensively he said the phils are BETTER with ross gload inthe lineup over ryan howard. it was a moronic statement and you are trying to defend it? come on, i may be an ahole sometimes but i ain't wrong here.

and if you think like 7 misplays (not 3 or 4 in 3 years) is ok for 25-30 games and
    and if you think chase utley is a spectacular defensive player then your standards are awfully low for Chase. chase is sllightly above average defensively.

even the Fixer who would have Chase's children if he could wouldn't say he is a spectacular defensive player
    pjhawks wrote:

he didn't say ross gload was better defensively he said the phils are BETTER with ross gload inthe lineup over ryan howard. it was a moronic statement and you are trying to defend it? come on, i may be an ahole sometimes but i ain't wrong here.

and if you think like 7 misplays (not 3 or 4 in 3 years) is ok for 25-30 games and
    and if you think chase utley is a spectacular defensive player then your standards are awfully low for Chase. chase is sllightly above average defensively.

Once again, you're not an asshole. You just work too hard at trying to be an asshole.

The dude of course likes to ride Howard, as you do in anything just to get a reaction. The fact that you keep bringing it up is more than ridiculous.

Name those 7 plays - please. And tell me how 7 "misplays", as you call them(whatever the fuck those are), are enough to call out the entire career of Utley's defense? I can name one "play", in particular, that absolves all of the rest(his heady play to fake to first and throw home in game 5 to win the championship. without that play that whole game changes). Plus, go look at any graph, or talk to anyone who actually knows the game(unlike yourself), and Utley is far more than just competent in the field. There's a reason second baseman play second base and not short, so get over the arm thing. Two, he has just about as good as range as anyone there - every time he plays a ball to his left on the angles he does, you can thank me. That is the biggest part of a second baseman's range - going to their left and up the middle. He does both more than adequately.

"On defense, Utley is almost as good as he is with the bat. Over the last four seasons, the Phillies’ second baseman has put together the following Ultimate Zone Ratings: 17.8, 9.2, 15.7, and 20.2. Last season, his +/- score was so high that Cameron says “it almost certainly contains a good bit of noise that isn’t actually measuring Utley’s real defensive value.” In other words, it was too good to be true. Still, Cameron conservatively estimates that Utley was 20 runs better than an average second baseman in 2008, and John Dewan, author of The Fielding Bible, says Utley is reinventing how second base is played by positioning himself close to first base against left-handed pull hitters:"
    http://umpbump.com/press/2009/06/15/cha ... e-chances/

And here is FanGraphs - these guys eat, drink and shit this stuff, so you don't have to take my word. Take their's -

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.ph ... utley-age/

http://www.ballssticksstuff.com/2009/03 ... fense.html
    And it keeps coming...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/w ... index.html

I'll never understand your point. Ever. Ya know why? Hence it being pointLESS.
  • Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Posts: 11,418
    I see we're in midseason form here. :lol:

I think I called Chase a spectacular defensive player as well. Only one person on this thread disagrees. That Game 5 play was probalby the most important defensive play in Phillies history (maybe behind Rose's catch after Boone's drop).

Amaro's original trade of Cliff Lee was horrible, although he seems to have redeemed himself for the most part since then.

With Howard playing on an iffy ankle late last year, they might've been better off with Gload at 1B, actually. Not that you'd take Gload over a whole season.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
    And it keeps coming...

From that article:
    Biggest Surprise: Ryan Howard has steadily improved his fielding since his rookie year, compensating for his bad hands with surprising range and is among the major league leaders in UZR this year.

He had some setbacks with the ankle injury last year, but he was getting the job done. I mean, he's never gonna be Keith Hernandez over there. Just knock in the runs and play adequate D and it's all good.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
    I see we're in midseason form here. :lol:

I think I called Chase a spectacular defensive player as well. Only one person on this thread disagrees. That Game 5 play was probalby the most important defensive play in Phillies history (maybe behind Rose's catch after Boone's drop).

Amaro's original trade of Cliff Lee was horrible, although he seems to have redeemed himself for the most part since then.

With Howard playing on an iffy ankle late last year, they might've been better off with Gload at 1B, actually. Not that you'd take Gload over a whole season.

you and jearlpam can't be serious. if chase utley is a 'spectacular' defenisve player then what the hell is jimmy rollins and shane victorino? those 2 are light years ahead of utley defensively. hell i wouldn't even call those 2 spectacular. Ozzie Smith was spectacular, mike schmidt was spectacular. please answer this question - if chase utley is considered spectacular defensively how would you describe ozzie smith? please enlighten me.
    Chase is one of the best defensive 2B's in the game today.

Ozzie is one of the best defensive SS's in history. What adjective do you want me to use? Legendary? Something better than Chase Utley.

pjhawks wrote:

don't forget:

I ripped amaro to shreds after the lee trade. I think that was well deserved. If you followed prospects you'd recognize that the trade looks even worse now than it did when it was made (which is next to impossible to believe). then of course the howard contract extension.

The gload thing was said in jest.

utley is one of the best defensive 2nd basemen in baseball. Sure, he botches a throw here or there, but he has arguably the best range of any 2nd baseman in baseball.

also...'howard is way better than votto' -pjhawks pre-2010
    pjhawks wrote:

even the Fixer who would have Chase's children if he could wouldn't say he is a spectacular defensive player

I wish the phils had ross gload at first in the playoffs. they definitely would have been better off

ryan howard just isn't that good. period
    And it keeps coming...

From that article:
    Biggest Surprise: Ryan Howard has steadily improved his fielding since his rookie year, compensating for his bad hands with surprising range and is among the major league leaders in UZR this year.

He had some setbacks with the ankle injury last year, but he was getting the job done. I mean, he's never gonna be Keith Hernandez over there. Just knock in the runs and play adequate D and it's all good.

I don't think UZR takes his grenade toss throws to 2nd and home into account. I don't know how someone can be in MLB and be so inept at throwing a baseball.

Ozzie is one of the best defensive SS's in history. What adjective do you want me to use? Legendary? Something better than Chase Utley.

utley is one of the best 2nd basemen of all time. He has had 4 seasons with a WAR over 7. The only 2nd baseman in history that has more is joe morgan, who has 5.

I'd put him in the top 3 of the best phillies ever...along with schmidt and carlton
    The Fixer wrote:
    pjhawks wrote:

don't forget:

I ripped amaro to shreds after the lee trade. I think that was well deserved. If you followed prospects you'd recognize that the trade looks even worse now than it did when it was made (which is next to impossible to believe). then of course the howard contract extension.

utley is one of the best defensive 2nd basemen in baseball. Sure, he botches a throw here or there, but he has arguably the best range of any 2nd baseman in baseball.

never said way better. mostly what i said was who the f is joey votto and howard's career to this point has been much greater than votto's which was not incorrect. and howard has been great for this team. votto was awesome last year no doubt. let's see if he can stay at that level for 3-5 years before we canonize him.

utley is not a great 2nd basemen and i don't care how good or bad the others are. manny trillo was 10x better defensively than chase.
    The Fixer wrote:

utley is one of the best 2nd basemen of all time. He has had 4 seasons with a WAR over 7. The only 2nd baseman in history that has more is joe morgan, who has 5.

I'd put him in the top 3 of the best phillies ever...along with schmidt and carlton

no doubt he is one of the best phillies of all time. never questioned that. but he isn't in the top 10 phillies defensive players of all time. that is all i am referring to. to say he is spectacular defensively is ridiculous in my opinion. and i love chase as a player although definitely concerned injuries have caught up with him.
    pjhawks wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:
    pjhawks wrote:

don't forget:

never said way better. mostly what i said was who the f is joey votto and howard's career to this point has been much greater than votto's which was not incorrect. and howard has been great for this team. votto was awesome last year no doubt. let's see if he can stay at that level for 3-5 years before we canonize him.

utley is not a great 2nd basemen and i don't care how good or bad the others are. manny trillo was 10x better defensively than chase.

the argument was what first baseman would you take over howard. I said votto and you laughed at me.

I know johnny brought up the sick play utley made in game 5 vs tampa. you also must have forgotten his unassisted DP vs the dodgers that year. I'm not gonna tell you he's the best defensive second baseman that's ever played, but the dude is damn good
    pjhawks wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

no doubt he is one of the best phillies of all time. never questioned that. but he isn't in the top 10 phillies defensive players of all time. that is all i am referring to. to say he is spectacular defensively is ridiculous in my opinion. and i love chase as a player although definitely concerned injuries have caught up with him.

no clue if he's in top 10 defensively of all time.

trillo
    rollins
    schmidt
    rolen
    maddox
    victorino

I would have a hard time coming up with 4-5 more guys that were better defensively than utley. rico brogna could pick it, but he wasn't here long enough. bowa maybe? (I didn't see him play enough).

the phils history is so bad. it really is amazing that they've been around for so long and they historically have so few decent players.
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,613
    this is classic. well played jp:

"Once again, you're not an asshole. You just work too hard at trying to be an asshole."

www.myspace.com
    The Fixer wrote:
    the argument was what first baseman would you take over howard. I said votto and you laughed at me.

I know johnny brought up the sick play utley made in game 5 vs tampa. you also must have forgotten his unassisted DP vs the dodgers that year. I'm not gonna tell you he's the best defensive second baseman that's ever played, but the dude is damn good

yes i did laugh at you about votto at that point. up to then he wasn't nearly as good as howard. he was awesome last year for sure. if he has another monster year maybe he surpasses ryan. to be seen though.

i am a results guy, not a potential guy. you love dom brown and might end up being fabulous but i am not going to kiss his ass until he actually does something. being highly rated prospect doesn't mean squat. so until votto puts together multiple dominate years like howard ill still take ryan for what he done for our franchise.
    pjhawks wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

yes i did laugh at you about votto at that point. up to then he wasn't nearly as good as howard. he was awesome last year for sure. if he has another monster year maybe he surpasses ryan. to be seen though.

i am a results guy, not a potential guy. you love dom brown and might end up being fabulous but i am not going to kiss his ass until he actually does something. being highly rated prospect doesn't mean squat. so until votto puts together multiple dominate years like howard ill still take ryan for what he done for our franchise.

I actually don't love brown. Of course I'm excited by what he might be, but I think I've been pretty conservative with my expectations for him. I have said he looks like he's on roller skates in the OF, his swing has a million holes (he needs to start his hands in one spot and leave them there. last year they were way up over his head and he couldn't touch anything inside...the few spring ABs I've seen him he has his hands lower and way out over the plate. He's a mess right now). I'm also on record as saying I think he will start the season in AAA (as he should since francisco is a better option right now). I'm the guy that said a month ago that he hopes francisco gets 350-400 ABs.

I love reading about prospects, but I don't think I have been slurping brown's nuts.

As for the howard vs votto stuff. Judging guys on past results is part of the problem...howard peaked during his MVP year. Votto is better now with potential to improve even further...while howard's best days are behind him. He will never come close to duplicating the numbers he put up in his MVP season (which is one of many reasons why his contract is the worst in sports). The debate was always which player you would rather have. you said howard, I said votto. After 2010, its 1-0 Fixer
This discussion has been closed.