***The Official Philadelphia Phillies 2012 Thread***

Comments

• Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,953
    Hey, if Fat Joe gives up a couple runs in the first couple innings, and that's it, then I'll take it.

What a FUCKING BOMB by Domo.
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    Blanton is fine. people need to chill and stop bitching about him.

Lee isn't the player he used to be, but he's still an upgrade for the braves. just saw those bastards walk off again. they're not going away.

I'm traveling for work this week so I watched the game on ESPN. Aaron Boone's voice is annoying. Not as bad as Buck 'the muppet' Martinez, but not fun to listen to.
    The Fixer wrote:

Lee isn't the player he used to be, but he's still an upgrade for the braves. just saw those bastards walk off again. they're not going away.

I'm traveling for work this week so I watched the game on ESPN. Aaron Boone's voice is annoying. Not as bad as Buck 'the muppet' Martinez, but not fun to listen to.

F that. Since the game was on PHL17, it was also carried on ESPN. I GLADLY chose the ESPN broadcast over our's.
    The Fixer wrote:

F that. Since the game was on PHL17, it was also carried on ESPN. I GLADLY chose the ESPN broadcast over our's.

of course...I would as well. Karl Ravech is one of the few at ESPN that isn't bad

Phils are rolling right now. Completing a sweep tomorrow would be huge
    The Fixer wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

of course...I would as well. Karl Ravech is one of the few at ESPN that isn't bad

Phils are rolling right now. Completing a sweep tomorrow would be huge

This really sucks that all ATL fans are bandwagons and/or not here because there's no one to talk shit to.

Apparently Atlanta sent Glaus on the DL to do a rehab assignment in the minors playing third.
    This would suck balls if Wolever goes to the Mets. He and Mike Arbuckle have been instrumental in restructuring the phils minor league system, which has produced a lot of major leaguers over the last decade. Of course Arbuckle left for KC, so losing Wolever too would be a big loss for the organization. Hopefully they can keep him, especially leading up to what is supposed to be a loaded 2011 draft.

http://www.csnphilly.com/08/18/10/A-Clo ... feedID=704
    The Fixer wrote:
    This would suck balls if Wolever goes to the Mets. He and Mike Arbuckle have been instrumental in restructuring the phils minor league system, which has produced a lot of major leaguers over the last decade. Of course Arbuckle left for KC, so losing Wolever too would be a big loss for the organization. Hopefully they can keep him, especially leading up to what is supposed to be a loaded 2011 draft.

Suck big balls. Philly should be paying their assistant gm's and scouting dept. top dollar.
    The Fixer wrote:

Suck big balls. Philly should be paying their assistant gm's and scouting dept. top dollar.

yes it would. KC's minor league system is now rated among the top 5 in baseball. Not sure how much Arbuckle has to do with that (not positive what his current role is), but I'm sure it's not a coincidence. Need to keep Marti happy. To quote Teddy KGB, 'pay this man his money'
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,710
    Phillies looked good tonight. 3 triples in a game is always impressive. 2 qualms though.

1. More than half the stadium jumps up for every fly ball thinking it's gone.

2. A curtain call for a rookie in a blow out is pretty weak.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Phillies looked good tonight. 3 triples in a game is always impressive. 2 qualms though.

1. Because these people with horrible views think anything in the air is going out for 1.75 seconds.

2. No, it's not. Feel the love, Dom. He's being embraced.

3. We're fucking sweet.
    I hear you. Just saying, lots of people celebrating popups. Honestly when that happens to me at a game I am embarrassed as hell. It was happening everywhere. I don't see the need for a curtain call there. If he is the real deal, there will be plenty of time for them, no need when he hits a solo shot in a blow out.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

agree on both points. cbp is full of tools
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    I hear you. Just saying, lots of people celebrating popups. Honestly when that happens to me at a game I am embarrassed as hell. It was happening everywhere. I don't see the need for a curtain call there. If he is the real deal, there will be plenty of time for them, no need when he hits a solo shot in a blow out.

I see the overreaction to pop ups all the time from my seats up in 423. It's annoying.

I just think, not being a Phils fan, you have absolutely no emotional investment in what you were a part of - if I was there I would've joined right in. Because they just saw their right fielder for the next 10 years hit an absolute bomb into the Delaware. And especially in a rout, is an especially good time for the party to be in full effect. And the players in the dugout were pushing him up the steps, so they didn't have any problem with it either.

EDIT: Dudes, you guys gotta stop worrying so much about stupid shit. This coming from a dude that judges everything. Let the people have a good time.
    I'm curious, did blanton get a standing O when he came out? I'm guessing no

the cbp crowds have become annoying. my biggest beef is when turds try to start the wave. I thought the wave was cool when I used to bring my glove to a game. these days there always seems to be some d-bag that doesn't care about the game and only cares about starting the wave. I want to throw my $8 beer at these people
    The Fixer wrote:

the cbp crowds have become annoying. my biggest beef is when turds try to start the wave. I thought the wave was cool when I used to bring my glove to a game. these days there always seems to be some d-bag that doesn't care about the game and only cares about starting the wave. I want to throw my $8 beer at these people

You're talking about a crowd that went nuts when Myers got a walk, and same thing for Moyer. I'm a Philly fan first and foremost, and I will defend them more than I slay them anyday. Fucking proud to be from here, and prouder to be a fan with these mutants.

I know what's been missing from this crowd - late August, September, October. I can't wait.
    The Fixer wrote:

You're talking about a crowd that went nuts when Myers got a walk, and same thing for Moyer. I'm a Philly fan first and foremost, and I will defend them more than I slay them anyday. Fucking proud to be from here, and prouder to be a fan with these mutants.

I know what's been missing from this crowd - late August, September, October. I can't wait.

the myers walk was in the playoffs. and he fouled off about 8 pitches that AB. that deserved applause.

last year people were telling me to sit down during playoff games. I felt like I was at the Linc

did blanton get an ovation tonight? probably not since philly hates him. I didn't see the whole game tonight
    It was a shot and that's a good point. I am sure I would be pumped if I saw montero hit a bomb like that. I just don't know about a curtain call. If it were a close game or it was a grand slam, sure, but a solo shot at that point, I don't think that's for me.
    The Fixer wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

the myers walk was in the playoffs. and he fouled off about 8 pitches that AB. that deserved applause.

last year people were telling me to sit down during playoff games. I felt like I was at the Linc

did blanton get an ovation tonight? probably not since philly hates him. I didn't see the whole game tonight

And Moyer was this year.

Yes, people stood and applauded as Blanton came out of the game.

My point is I am one of these people. So as long as they're not beating the shit out of each other or anyone else, or puking on people, etc. etc., all is well with me.
    Yes, blanton got a standing O. I made a comment to the guy next to me, congrats, you didn't fucking suck.

They were trying to do the wave last night at Yankee stadium. So fucking annoying.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    It was a shot and that's a good point. I am sure I would be pumped if I saw montero hit a bomb like that. I just don't know about a curtain call. If it were a close game or it was a grand slam, sure, but a solo shot at that point, I don't think that's for me.

I agree. but you're talking about a town that loved guys like chris coste and sal fasano.

sorry fellas...I'm in a complaining mood. being stuck in west virginia for a week will do that to you. I've never been excited to be in pittsburgh, but I'm really looking forward to meeting up with some friends for drinks tomorrow night.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

C'moooon. Don't lie. If you were in Yankee Stadium and 44,999 people gave him a standing O, you'd be doing the exact thing. You're telling me you wouldn't because the state of the game. And don't gimme "Yankee fans wouldn't do that" nonsense. Bull shit. You'd be all over it. There's more to the atmosphere of the game than just the score. 45,000 people at The Bank are realizing their boys are waking up, getting healthy, and about to go all Bruce Lee on the NL.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Yes, blanton got a standing O. I made a comment to the guy next to me, congrats, you didn't fucking suck.

They were trying to do the wave last night at Yankee stadium. So fucking annoying.

that's cool they acknowledged blanton. he hasn't had a good year, but he's been much better in his last 7-8 starts.

my wife loves when the wave starts at games. she knows how annoyed I get. the best is when people start it during close games.
    The Fixer wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

that's cool they acknowledged blanton. he hasn't had a good year, but he's been much better in his last 7-8 starts.

my wife loves when the wave starts at games. she knows how annoyed I get. the best is when people start it during close games.

Yeah, the wave is one we can agree on. It doesn't belong anywhere, but it happens everywhere. And I'm the asshole that stands on my chair and yells at everyone, "ARE YOU FUCKING SERIOUS?!?! THE GAME IS TIED IN THE 8TH AND YOU'RE DOING THE WAVE!" I am loud when I'm drunk. Especially at sporting events I care about. Oh, yeah, and also when some band plays.
    Alrigt fellas, more on this tomorrow. Dead tired after a yanks game last night, this game tonight and a long fucking day of work in between. Just can't so it like used to.
    And yes, the wave is horrible
  • Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Posts: 11,313
    Re: Phils fans cheering popups - yea we've got a lot of fair weather fans who can't judge whether a ball is a popup or a homer. However, this is also the same fanbase that freaked out Sabathia & Billingsley (and Burt Hooten back in '77) in the playoffs, and rattled "EVA" Longoria to the point where he got one hit in the Series.

Honestly, Yankee Stadium sounded like a freakin library in the Series last year.

Re: curtain call - I thought it was cool - monster shot makes a blowout game a little more of a blowout. Take a bow Dom.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,419
    Re: Phils fans cheering popups - yea we've got a lot of fair weather fans who can't judge whether a ball is a popup or a homer. However, this is also the same fanbase that freaked out Sabathia & Billingsley (and Burt Hooten back in '77) in the playoffs, and rattled "EVA" Longoria to the point where he got one hit in the Series.

Honestly, Yankee Stadium sounded like a freakin library in the Series last year.

Re: curtain call - I thought it was cool - monster shot makes a blowout game a little more of a blowout. Take a bow Dom.

I think the crowds in the playoffs are much different. Not sure what game the Fixer had problems last year but for me the playoffs crowds are a lot more about the game. And playoffs games attract a lot less women, children and teenagers/college age, or as I like to call them those people that don't attention to the game. I think you have to expect that to some extent in the summer months as the weather and great team attracts those types.
    My biggest complaint is people getting up out of their seats at the wrong time - i've had people wait until the inning starts then get up and walk by me - wtf dude you just had 2 minutes between innings and now you get up as a pitch is coming? For the most part though I think overall the Phils fans are fine. When you are winning like they are it happens. And they are still way better than Eagles or Flyers fans.
    You guys down a man in this thread?
  • Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Posts: 11,313
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

You mean the lack of activity? I think it's Fixer being away somewhere and not stirring up R6 arguments.

Here's an excerpt from an espn fangraphs article on returning injured players (don't shoot the messenger):

Saving the biggest for last, Utley's teammate Ryan Howard will return this weekend. To say Philly has missed the big man is an understatement. Mike Sweeney might be the nicest man in baseball, but he hit .261/.320/.261 while his platoon partner Ross Gload carried the pair with an OPS over 1.000 and two home runs. The pair split playing time nearly 50/50 meaning the result was an average hitting first baseman. Much like Pena, Howard should represent about a win upgrade over what those two were producing heading forward. Maybe more if he goes on one of his patented second half hot streaks.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

You mean the lack of activity? I think it's Fixer being away somewhere and not stirring up R6 arguments.

Here's an excerpt from an espn fangraphs article on returning injured players (don't shoot the messenger):

Saving the biggest for last, Utley's teammate Ryan Howard will return this weekend. To say Philly has missed the big man is an understatement. Mike Sweeney might be the nicest man in baseball, but he hit .261/.320/.261 while his platoon partner Ross Gload carried the pair with an OPS over 1.000 and two home runs. The pair split playing time nearly 50/50 meaning the result was an average hitting first baseman. Much like Pena, Howard should represent about a win upgrade over what those two were producing heading forward. Maybe more if he goes on one of his patented second half hot streaks.

I am not. From the sounds of it, it seems Jeags may not be around for a little while.

I won't argue that, I don't watch the Phillies enough to know how much he was/will be missed and all. My argument is just always that he is overrated and over paid.
This discussion has been closed.