***The Official Philadelphia Phillies 2012 Thread***

Comments

• The ChampThe Champ Posts: 4,063
    Is it true that the Phillies have been shutout 4 straight times at Citi Field? No way, that can't be true....I wish we played like this against shitty teams..
    'I want to hurry home to you
    put on a slow, dumb show for you
    and crack you up
    so you can put a blue ribbon on my brain
    god I'm very, very frightening
    and I'll overdo it'
    The Champ wrote:
    I was confused about the orange line as well. I think it's pretty clear the ball was over the line. If that doesn't mean it's a homer, why's the line there? And how did it end up being a triple anyway? I didn't think there were all that many ground-rule triples in baseball.

Exactly, in citi field that's supposed to be a cut and dry homer.....umps were lost all around on that play..

they really need a new park up there.

Sure the Phillies wish for that as they can't score there..but that'll probably change with our minor leaguer going tonight..
    and crack you up
    and I'll overdo it'
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,466
    The Champ wrote:
    Is it true that the Phillies have been shutout 4 straight times at Citi Field? No way, that can't be true....I wish we played like this against shitty teams..

the other 3 games were in the midst of our worst slump in decades. last night was a fluke with that douche on the mound.

i will gladly take 2 out of 3. just win every series.
    www.myspace.com
    The Champ wrote:

the other 3 games were in the midst of our worst slump in decades. last night was a fluke with that douche on the mound.

Excuses excuses...and why do you consider Dickey a douche? Is it just because he plays for the Mets, coz I've only heard great things said about him around the league...and the fluke of the night was the pitcher getting in the way of our first ever no hitter...motherfucker..
    and crack you up
    and I'll overdo it'
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    I wonder if with Monday off that they skip Blanton's next turn so they can set up their top three aces in a row. I think they should do that going forward. And then going forward skip Kendrick or Blanton any time there's a day off. Try and get this rotation set up to be Halladay-Hamels-Oswalt at some point.

i second this in motion. especially since blanton's scheduled to pitch on wednesday and i'll be in attendance. please god skip that slob.

by the way--regarding that babysitter....the mom is actually pretty hot too. just caught a glimpse of her.

I don't know. I see the rationale of doing this, but halladay has thrown a lot of innings this year. pretty sure I saw somewhere that he was on pace to throw the most innings in one season that he's ever thrown (and this is before playoffs -- where he's gonna be expected to go on short rest). A lot of this has to do with a certain manager leaving him in games where he's got huge leads...but that's something for another day.

I think I'm the only one in philly with any faith in blanton. personally, I wouldn't skip him.
    The Champ wrote:
    The Champ wrote:

Excuses excuses...and why do you consider Dickey a douche? Is it just because he plays for the Mets, coz I've only heard great things said about him around the league...and the fluke of the night was the pitcher getting in the way of our first ever no hitter...motherfucker..

why is he a douche? its just something i prefer to refer to him as because he 1 hit us last night. i don't know him personally. he sure looks like a douche though. :mrgreen:
    www.myspace.com
    The Fixer wrote:
    I wonder if with Monday off that they skip Blanton's next turn so they can set up their top three aces in a row. I think they should do that going forward. And then going forward skip Kendrick or Blanton any time there's a day off. Try and get this rotation set up to be Halladay-Hamels-Oswalt at some point.

i second this in motion. especially since blanton's scheduled to pitch on wednesday and i'll be in attendance. please god skip that slob.

by the way--regarding that babysitter....the mom is actually pretty hot too. just caught a glimpse of her.

I don't know. I see the rationale of doing this, but halladay has thrown a lot of innings this year. pretty sure I saw somewhere that he was on pace to throw the most innings in one season that he's ever thrown (and this is before playoffs -- where he's gonna be expected to go on short rest). A lot of this has to do with a certain manager leaving him in games where he's got huge leads...but that's something for another day.

I think I'm the only one in philly with any faith in blanton. personally, I wouldn't skip him.

maybe it is too early to start doing that. good point about halladay's innings. if we're still a few games back 2 weeks from now, i think you gotta do it though.
    www.myspace.com
    biggest beast of all time.

Utley to play five innings; back this week?
    NEW YORK -- So much for that eight-week timetable.

Chase Utley will begin his official rehab assignment Saturday night with single-A Clearwater. He will play five innings. That means it's entirely possible Utley could rejoin the Phillies this week.

When Utley had surgery on his right thumb July 1, doctors estimated at least an eight-week recovery period. That would have put him on target for a return sometime around Sept. 1. As Utley has progressed the last few weeks, the Phillies stuck to that timetable.

Obviously, the second baseman has accelerated his recovery of late. Last Wednesday, he was given clearance to swing a bat. Three days later, he's already in a rehab game.

It's not the first time Utley has been a quick healer. After off-season hip surgery in 2008, the Phillies thought Utley would miss the first month of the season. He was ready before opening day.

If Utley follows similar rehab assignments from the past, he could need just three games for single-A Clearwater and rejoin the team in time for the series opener against the Giants at Citizens Bank Park on Tuesday.

"Usually it won't take him a long time because he'll work at it, and he'll be ready," Charlie Manuel said Friday. "Actually I think with the time off, he's strong, and I look for him to come back and be really good."
  • Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Posts: 11,313
    The Fixer wrote:
    biggest beast of all time.

Utley to play five innings; back this week?
    NEW YORK -- So much for that eight-week timetable.

Chase Utley will begin his official rehab assignment Saturday night with single-A Clearwater. He will play five innings. That means it's entirely possible Utley could rejoin the Phillies this week.

When Utley had surgery on his right thumb July 1, doctors estimated at least an eight-week recovery period. That would have put him on target for a return sometime around Sept. 1. As Utley has progressed the last few weeks, the Phillies stuck to that timetable.

Obviously, the second baseman has accelerated his recovery of late. Last Wednesday, he was given clearance to swing a bat. Three days later, he's already in a rehab game.

It's not the first time Utley has been a quick healer. After off-season hip surgery in 2008, the Phillies thought Utley would miss the first month of the season. He was ready before opening day.

If Utley follows similar rehab assignments from the past, he could need just three games for single-A Clearwater and rejoin the team in time for the series opener against the Giants at Citizens Bank Park on Tuesday.

"Usually it won't take him a long time because he'll work at it, and he'll be ready," Charlie Manuel said Friday. "Actually I think with the time off, he's strong, and I look for him to come back and be really good."

He's fucking awesome. Hope he's back Tuesday - we're going to that game!

Dickey looks like a douche with that goatee thing or whatever it is. And yes, I know your comeback will be Jayson Werth must also be a douche. Yep, you're right.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,768
    Watched part of the game last night (was at a bar with some friendss). One hit and it was by Cole ?? WOW! and they're scoreless in 36 innings at Citi Field? Damn. Oh boy. Glad Halladay is pitching tonight, hopefully we score at least 2 runs.
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
    Doc is just a machine. Thanks to the Mets infielders for making tonight much easier!

I guess according to the replay, Paul Bunyan's Friday night almost HR was actually not going to clear the orange line. They said the Mets broadcast never showed a good angle, and they gave him 3rd base because he was already past 2nd when it hit the fence or fan or whatever.

Rangers/Red Sox on MLB network - NESN broadcast. Sean McDonough is cool, but the analyst guy is awful with that stupid Boston accent. I hope Texas comes back to win.

Kuo closes it out in ATL. 2 games out.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
    Doc is ridiculous. Hopefully Kendrick can help them take the series tomorrow

Utley went 1-3 with a triple at clearwater tonight. Utley and howard could be back as early as Tuesday night. Utley is an absolute animal
    I got royally screwed with playoff games in one of my packages.

NLDS home game 3
    NLCS home game 3
    WS home game 1

what bullshit
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,710
    Rangers/Red Sox on MLB network - NESN broadcast. Sean McDonough is cool, but the analyst guy is awful with that stupid Boston accent. I hope Texas comes back to win.

Jerry Remy. I am not a big fan but I am glad he is back and healthy. Huge homer, but whatever. Boston broadcasts would not be the same without him. Have had to put up with him a bunch the last few years having Extra Innings.
    Oh and about the RBI discussion. Arod is having by far the worst season of his career, no questions about it. Worst numbers of his career across the board but is leading MLB in RBI's.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Oh and about the RBI discussion. Arod is having by far the worst season of his career, no questions about it. Worst numbers of his career across the board but is leading MLB in RBI's.

I also read that as of 8/1, ryan howard had the most ABs with runners on base in the NL.

RBI are an awful gauge of personal performance
    The Fixer wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

I also read that as of 8/1, ryan howard had the most ABs with runners on base in the NL.

That is pretty crazy, especially with all the Phillies injuries.
    so that's now 17 of 22... :mrgreen:

gotta take the series tonight.

please skip joe blanton this week.

the r6 and utley due back soon.....let's have at it gentlemen....

GO PHILS.
    www.myspace.com
    The Fixer wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Howard is, I think, 5th in the NL at RBI conversion percentage. I haven't followed ARod that closely, but Howard is clearly having a great season.

Sounds like Chase is coming back Tuesday - can't wait!

• Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    Doc is just a machine. Thanks to the Mets infielders for making tonight much easier!

I guess according to the replay, Paul Bunyan's Friday night almost HR was actually not going to clear the orange line. They said the Mets broadcast never showed a good angle, and they gave him 3rd base because he was already past 2nd when it hit the fence or fan or whatever.

The mets broadcast showed at great view of the home run. Don't know how much more of a great angle you can get when the ball was hit to square in the middle of left field. The ball never ever touched the fan and hit the railing near the fans knee which is above orange home run line. Keith hernadez even did a spot shadow of where the ball hit the and you can clearly see it hitting the railing right near the fans knee.

BTW-Go watch a YES broadcast if you want awful
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

metsfan wrote:

The mets broadcast showed at great view of the home run. Don't know how much more of a great angle you can get when the ball was hit to square in the middle of left field. The ball never ever touched the fan and hit the railing near the fans knee which is above orange home run line. Keith hernadez even did a spot shadow of where the ball hit the and you can clearly see it hitting the railing right near the fans knee.

You're right about YES - talk about homers. They're showing a replay of a Cleveland outfielder making a catch, they're saying - look he trapped it - terrible call. I watched, and the guy clearly caught the ball. They're just making up bad calls.

I thought Sean McDonough did a great job in the 1993 playoffs. I'd rather hear him than Joe Buck.

Um, yeah, the ball definitely was touched by the guy. Whatever, you guys still won the game.

Come on Kyle Kendrick - show up tonight!

metsfan wrote:

You're right about YES - talk about homers. They're showing a replay of a Cleveland outfielder making a catch, they're saying - look he trapped it - terrible call. I watched, and the guy clearly caught the ball. They're just making up bad calls.

I thought Sean McDonough did a great job in the 1993 playoffs. I'd rather hear him than Joe Buck.

Um, yeah, the ball definitely was touched by the guy. Whatever, you guys still won the game.

Come on Kyle Kendrick - show up tonight!

I like Michael Kay more than most Yankees fans but YES overall has a strong team when compared to the rest of the league. Ken Singleton is simply outstanding, Jon Flaherty and Leiter are both strong and it is great to have Paulie in the booth from time to time. Tino Martinez stinks. I also strongly disagree that they are homers, I think Kay can be way to critical of certain Yankees players from time to time. You will never ever hear a Yankees broadcaster refer to the team as we and they can be very hard on the team.

John Sterling on the other hand is the absolute worst.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    I like Michael Kay more than most Yankees fans but YES overall has a strong team when compared to the rest of the league. Ken Singleton is simply outstanding, Jon Flaherty and Leiter are both strong and it is great to have Paulie in the booth from time to time. Tino Martinez stinks. I also strongly disagree that they are homers, I think Kay can be way to critical of certain Yankees players from time to time. You will never ever hear a Yankees broadcaster refer to the team as we and they can be very hard on the team.

All I know is I got sick of those guys real quick when we were forcefed with all the Alex Rodriguez crap.

Not saying the Phillies announcers are anything special, by the way. We're a long way from the days of Harry & Whitey. :( (both of those guys, btw, with definitive Midwestern accents)

• Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,953
    Michael Kay is decent. I like him, but Sterling is absolutely atrocious. Can't stand that guy.

And not to harp on this non-homer anymore, but how can anyone say the dude didn't touch the ball???? Every replay I saw showed that.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

All I know is I got sick of those guys real quick when we were forcefed with all the Alex Rodriguez crap.

Not saying the Phillies announcers are anything special, by the way. We're a long way from the days of Harry & Whitey. :( (both of those guys, btw, with definitive Midwestern accents)

That's fine, it lasted way too long but I don't know what you would expect. It's not like they can skip an AB without bringing it up, it's their job to talk about what's going on. I would be more annoyed with MLB and ESPN for switching over for every AB than the YES crew talking about it. I do miss the days of Bobby Murcer and Jim Kaat.

I think the Yanks broadcast is 100x better than the Phillies. Tom McCarthy is fucking horrible.
    Fucken Padilla. Braves are up 8-0.

Michael Kay is decent. I like him, but Sterling is absolutely atrocious. Can't stand that guy.

And not to harp on this non-homer anymore, but how can anyone say the dude didn't touch the ball???? Every replay I saw showed that.

Sterling is fucking horrible. It is embarrassing that the Yankees have such a god awful radio guy. I read he is a gigantic prick in a number of places as well and that he thinks he some how has something to do with the Yankees success. Give up the fucking catch phrases and call the fucking game.
    I am also not saying Kay is perfect either, I just think he is a whole lot better than he gets credit for.
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,953
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Sterling is fucking horrible. It is embarrassing that the Yankees have such a god awful radio guy. I read he is a gigantic prick in a number of places as well and that he thinks he some how has something to do with the Yankees success. Give up the fucking catch phrases and call the fucking game.

Michael Kay is real good I think. He seems pretty down the middle in the calling of his games. I just wanna punch Sterling in the kidneys with that A-bomb for A-Rod nonsense. I could see maybe saying that(not really) if it's a moon shot, but an example of it being overplayed was when A-Rod hit that cheapy homer in the World Series that clunked off the camera at The Bank in right field. Dude made it sound like it went 500 feet.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Michael Kay is real good I think. He seems pretty down the middle in the calling of his games. I just wanna punch Sterling in the kidneys with that A-bomb for A-Rod nonsense. I could see maybe saying that(not really) if it's a moon shot, but an example of it being overplayed was when A-Rod hit that cheapy homer in the World Series that clunked off the camera at The Bank in right field. Dude made it sound like it went 500 feet.

Um, he has a different catch phrase for every player. "Thats a TEX message", "Robby cano, dont you know", "Swishalicous", etc. The other day when Thames hit a go ahead SINGLE, he fucking said "Let the good thames roll" A FUCKING SINGLE!
This discussion has been closed.