***The Official Philadelphia Phillies 2012 Thread***

Comments

• Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Posts: 11,313
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    You mean the lack of activity? I think it's Fixer being away somewhere and not stirring up R6 arguments.

Here's an excerpt from an espn fangraphs article on returning injured players (don't shoot the messenger):

Saving the biggest for last, Utley's teammate Ryan Howard will return this weekend. To say Philly has missed the big man is an understatement. Mike Sweeney might be the nicest man in baseball, but he hit .261/.320/.261 while his platoon partner Ross Gload carried the pair with an OPS over 1.000 and two home runs. The pair split playing time nearly 50/50 meaning the result was an average hitting first baseman. Much like Pena, Howard should represent about a win upgrade over what those two were producing heading forward. Maybe more if he goes on one of his patented second half hot streaks.

I am not. From the sounds of it, it seems Jeags may not be around for a little while.

I won't argue that, I don't watch the Phillies enough to know how much he was/will be missed and all. My argument is just always that he is overrated and over paid.

I will say it's been nice to see consistent, competent defense at 1B, although I can't remember anyone making a throw.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • jamminpearlsjamminpearls Posts: 7,078
    I'm still here, just been busy lately. What's up with the jeags? And can't wait for Ryan the monster beast Howard to return. This thread needs him back so it can become intresting again :)
    Go Birds!!!!
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,419
    I'm still here, just been busy lately. What's up with the jeags? And can't wait for Ryan the monster beast Howard to return. This thread needs him back so it can become intresting again :)

bunch of threads locked over the past few days. rumor has it the Jaegs is now on the banned list.

back to baseball, Phils playing really good ball right now. Scary part is can't quite catch the Braves as good as they have been. Braves playing great as well. Hopefully Phils can stay hot and at least pull away from the pack in the wild card.
    Nats up 6-2 in 9th over Braves. 15,000 fans in attendance at Turner Field today - horrible fans.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,953
    pjhawks wrote:
    Re: Phils fans cheering popups - yea we've got a lot of fair weather fans who can't judge whether a ball is a popup or a homer. However, this is also the same fanbase that freaked out Sabathia & Billingsley (and Burt Hooten back in '77) in the playoffs, and rattled "EVA" Longoria to the point where he got one hit in the Series.

Honestly, Yankee Stadium sounded like a freakin library in the Series last year.

Re: curtain call - I thought it was cool - monster shot makes a blowout game a little more of a blowout. Take a bow Dom.

My biggest complaint is people getting up out of their seats at the wrong time - i've had people wait until the inning starts then get up and walk by me - wtf dude you just had 2 minutes between innings and now you get up as a pitch is coming? For the most part though I think overall the Phils fans are fine. When you are winning like they are it happens. And they are still way better than Eagles or Flyers fans.

DUDE, this is my ULTIMATE pet peeve. None of these fuckers know the unwritten rule - actually, written, but these stupid ushers aren't enforcing it at all - of not getting up nor going down to your seat until the at-bat is over. Cannot stand that shit.
    Nats up 6-2 in 9th over Braves. 15,000 fans in attendance at Turner Field today - horrible fans.

They've been averaging 15k this whole series. The Braves are an afterthought in ATL. It goes Georgia football, then everything else. First, the Falcons, then the Braves. No one cares about the Hawks or especially the Predators. Can't believe that city has a hockey team.

PICK UP A GAME TONIGHT, BOYS!

EDIT: Also looks like once Brad Hawpe clears waivers, the Phils may have an interest in bringing him aboard. And I don't care how bad he's been hitting this year, I would gladly welcome a bat like his to the bench.

And looks like St. Louis acquired Pete Happy. Good for him. Puts him in a playoff race, but he's been terrible.
    David Murphy is good. And apparently has a lot of time on his hands.....

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/phil ... g_run.html
  • Phantom PainPhantom Pain Posts: 9,876

Fuuuuck !!

I have tickets for Sept 18th...Kendrick !

:x
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers

Fuuuuck !!

Sucks for you, man. But I gotta be in favor of putting our best foot forward. :thumbup:

Fuuuuck !!

That's ok, I've got "DH spot starter."

• Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,710
    Hahaha, About about a Phillies prospect report today.

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/top-p ... e-bust.php

Paul Hagen of the Philadelphia Daily News reports that Phillies prospect Tyson Gillies was arrested in Florida and charged with cocaine possession.

According to Greg Auman of the St. Petersburg Times he was arrested at 1:10 a.m. and released at 10:52 a.m. after posting a $2,000 bond.

Gillies, who is legally deaf and wears a hearing aid, was one of three prospects acquired from the Mariners in the Cliff Lee trade this offseason.

He hasn't played in two months because of a hamstring injury and prior to the injury the 21-year-old center fielder hit just .238/.286/.333 in 28 games at Double-A after batting .341 at high Single-A last year.

UPDATE: Matt Gelb of the Philadelphia Inquirer reports that Gillies was arrested at a La Quinta Inn in Clearwater, which is near the Phillies' spring training complex.

The Cliff Lee trade just looks worse and worse every day.
  • Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Hahaha, About about a Phillies prospect report today.

The way he apparently got caught is REALLY stupid and hilarious. The original incident happened back on June 11 In Clearwater:
    A patrol officer witnessed Gillies standing on the shoulder of Route 19 near Enterprise Blvd. in Clearwater at 3:24 a.m. Gillies was waving a white shirt at passing motorists. The patrol officer stopped to speak with Gillies and noticed he was intoxicated.

Gillies told the officer he was waving the shirt so his friends could see him. He told the officer he was trying to find a way back to his hotel down the street after spending several hours at Freaki Tiki, a nearby bar.

The officer asked Gillies if he had enough money for a taxi to take him back to the hotel. He did not, so the officer offered a courtesy ride for Gillies.

After the officer dropped Gillies off at the La Quinta, where he was also staying in June, he noticed a bag of white powder on the back-seat floor of the police cruiser. The officer stopped Gillies, took down his information and told him the bag would be sent to a lab for testing and he could be charged in the future.
    ***Desperately looking for a Pearl Jam Phillies themed Oct. 31 Philadelphia shirt in M or L. Got one you don't want/need? Help a brother out!
    I will be attempting to catch the game in some podunk town on the eastern shore of Maryland. Hopefully these hicks know most of the people that come down here are of Philly origin....

I just hope I'm not a whipping boy for some bikers....
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    You guys down a man in this thread?

You mean the lack of activity? I think it's Fixer being away somewhere and not stirring up R6 arguments.

Here's an excerpt from an espn fangraphs article on returning injured players (don't shoot the messenger):

Saving the biggest for last, Utley's teammate Ryan Howard will return this weekend. To say Philly has missed the big man is an understatement. Mike Sweeney might be the nicest man in baseball, but he hit .261/.320/.261 while his platoon partner Ross Gload carried the pair with an OPS over 1.000 and two home runs. The pair split playing time nearly 50/50 meaning the result was an average hitting first baseman. Much like Pena, Howard should represent about a win upgrade over what those two were producing heading forward. Maybe more if he goes on one of his patented second half hot streaks.

My argument is just always that he is overrated and over paid.

Exactly.

Fucking braves just erased a 1 run ninth innning deficit with 3 9th inning runs. Marmol fucking walked the bases loaded. Terrible.

Atlanta is the worst sports city in the US. It's even worse than LA
    pjhawks wrote:
    Re: Phils fans cheering popups - yea we've got a lot of fair weather fans who can't judge whether a ball is a popup or a homer. However, this is also the same fanbase that freaked out Sabathia & Billingsley (and Burt Hooten back in '77) in the playoffs, and rattled "EVA" Longoria to the point where he got one hit in the Series.

Honestly, Yankee Stadium sounded like a freakin library in the Series last year.

Re: curtain call - I thought it was cool - monster shot makes a blowout game a little more of a blowout. Take a bow Dom.

My biggest complaint is people getting up out of their seats at the wrong time - i've had people wait until the inning starts then get up and walk by me - wtf dude you just had 2 minutes between innings and now you get up as a pitch is coming? For the most part though I think overall the Phils fans are fine. When you are winning like they are it happens. And they are still way better than Eagles or Flyers fans.

DUDE, this is my ULTIMATE pet peeve. None of these fuckers know the unwritten rule - actually, written, but these stupid ushers aren't enforcing it at all - of not getting up nor going down to your seat until the at-bat is over. Cannot stand that shit.

this is annoying. great thing about my seats is that I'm right on the railing. Don't have to worry about idiot fans or ushers walking into my view of the game.

Fuuuuck !!

That's ok, I've got "DH spot starter."

I'm heading down to the game on monday. of course blanton is pitching. this will be 4th game in a row on plan A that blanton has pitched
    Fixer, how about Gillies?
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

I just saw that article that you posted. I heard the mets want to trade for him.

god, that Lee trade was horrendous
    The Fixer wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

I just saw that article that you posted. I heard the mets want to trade for him.

Haha, what a dipshit. I don't knock anyone for their habits but getting arrested for it when you are an mlb prospect is as dumb as it gets.

If Amaro hopped on the phone with Cashman I am sure he could have gotten Montero.
    The Fixer wrote:

Fucking braves just erased a 1 run ninth innning deficit with 3 9th inning runs. Marmol fucking walked the bases loaded. Terrible.

Braves remind me of Yanks last year with all their 9th inning comebacks. I obviously dont think they are as good as the 2009 Yanks but the game is not over until the 27th out has been recorded with them.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Haha, what a dipshit. I don't knock anyone for their habits but getting arrested for it when you are an mlb prospect is as dumb as it gets.

If Amaro hopped on the phone with Cashman I am sure he could have gotten Montero.

yeah, gillies really fucked up. I wonder if the guy that got caught with weed when he ran on the field trying to get tazed was involved.

the worst part of the Lee trade was the timing of it. amaro absolutely took the first offer. ah, I can't let it go, it still pisses me off
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

Braves remind me of Yanks last year with all their 9th inning comebacks. I obviously dont think they are as good as the 2009 Yanks but the game is not over until the 27th out has been recorded with them.

the braves pitching keeps them in games. they are making the playoffs. I don't think the phils are
    The Fixer wrote:

yeah, gillies really fucked up. I wonder if the guy that got caught with weed when he ran on the field trying to get tazed was involved.

the worst part of the Lee trade was the timing of it. amaro absolutely took the first offer. ah, I can't let it go, it still pisses me off

Haha, it is just as dumb as that.

Yeah, I hear you. It would piss me off. Bad decision and people are going to bring that up forever.
    The Fixer wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

the braves pitching keeps them in games. they are making the playoffs. I don't think the phils are

I think the Phillies have a good shot if they can play close to how they have recently. I don't think they are a lock to win the NL like they were the last couple years though.
    Utley is unbelievable. I think he tagged that guy on the potential DP.
    Cliffy, the Braves have been copying the Phils' comebacks. Week after the Dodgers 9-2 meltdown in Phila, Braves came back vs. the Broxton replacements. Phils also had a comeback vs. Marmol earlier this year.

The Phils were never a lock to win the NL in 2008. Everyone thought the Cubs would win it. Then they thought the Dodgers would win it. I don't think they were a lock in 2009 either, but they were clearly superior to LA.

Doc was so impressive tonight. Clearly didn't have his best stuff and wasn't helped out by the ump, and he just gutted out 7 shutout innings. Just an awesome competitor.

Lidge was getting hit pretty hard, but that was an awesome K on Dunn to end it. I was really worried about Zimmerman coming up.

Cliffy, the Braves have been copying the Phils' comebacks. Week after the Dodgers 9-2 meltdown in Phila, Braves came back vs. the Broxton replacements. Phils also had a comeback vs. Marmol earlier this year.

The Phils were never a lock to win the NL in 2008. Everyone thought the Cubs would win it. Then they thought the Dodgers would win it. I don't think they were a lock in 2009 either, but they were clearly superior to LA.

Doc was so impressive tonight. Clearly didn't have his best stuff and wasn't helped out by the ump, and he just gutted out 7 shutout innings. Just an awesome competitor.

Lidge was getting hit pretty hard, but that was an awesome K on Dunn to end it. I was really worried about Zimmerman coming up.

I agree with your halladay comments. He battles every time he pitches. guy is an animal.

Nice to see Madson and Lidge pitching well. The two of them are key to the phils chances
    The Fixer wrote:

I agree with your halladay comments. He battles every time he pitches. guy is an animal.

Nice to see Madson and Lidge pitching well. The two of them are key to the phils chances

It's not that his stuff isn't awesome, because it obviously is. But he's so damn ballsy out there. Leadoff hitter on 3rd, no outs. Guess what - you're not scoring!

I thought Hamels and Lidge (and I guess Dog) were the keys to the season, from the start.

Nice win to stay 2 1/2 out.

• jamminpearlsjamminpearls Posts: 7,078
    Big win,doc should win the cy young award this season. Fixer have no worries playoffs are happening.
    Go Birds!!!!
This discussion has been closed.