***The Official Philadelphia Phillies 2012 Thread***

Comments

• Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,710
    metsfan wrote:
    I don't know anyone with a brain who wouldn't want howard on their team. I'd take howard over ike davis any damn day. Sabermertics are the most stupidest stats ever created. Guys like MANRAM and AROID and king albert are going to the hall of fame cause of their HOME RUNS AND RBI'S not cause of stupid sabermetrics stats.

Billy beane hasn't won shit since he's been gm of the A's and yet he's the "godfather" of sabermetrics stats. Yea those stats work wonder for him year in and year out. How many rings have the A's won. I mean fucking christ one of those stupid stabermetrics stats had daniel murphy as the 5th best defensive 1st basemen.

1. The A's are working on a budget of $50-60 mil and have made the playoffs 5 times since 2000. That is pretty damn successful I would say.

2. Sabermetrics are not the "most stupidest stats ever created" They are not the end all , be all but they can tell you a lot if you know what they are.

3. Defensive stats are flawed.

4. Ryan Howard is not worth his contract, period.
  • Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Posts: 11,333
    metsfan wrote:
    I don't know anyone with a brain who wouldn't want howard on their team. I'd take howard over ike davis any damn day. Sabermertics are the most stupidest stats ever created. Guys like MANRAM and AROID and king albert are going to the hall of fame cause of their HOME RUNS AND RBI'S not cause of stupid sabermetrics stats.

Billy beane hasn't won shit since he's been gm of the A's and yet he's the "godfather" of sabermetrics stats. Yea those stats work wonder for him year in and year out. How many rings have the A's won. I mean fucking christ one of those stupid stabermetrics stats had daniel murphy as the 5th best defensive 1st basemen.

Sabermetrics are little bit overrated these days. Bobby Abreu is a sabermetrics hall-of-famer, but he's a loser. Never goes for the big hit in the big situation; just looks for the walk. Helps his OBP, but it doesn't help his team win.

Howard comes up with 2 outs in the 9th and beats the Rockies in Game 4. He's certainly frustrating to watch a lot of the time, but he can get the job done.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,492
    keep being that huge cog in our lineup that helps us win divisions, league championships, and hopefully another ws title or two...that's all that matters gentlemen.

JUST GET ME TO THE PLATE BOYS

GO. PHILS.
    www.myspace.com
  • jamminpearlsjamminpearls Posts: 7,078
    metsfan wrote:

Its sad that a muts fan gets it and people who watch him put up monster season after monster season don't.
    Go Birds!!!!

Sabermetrics are little bit overrated these days. Bobby Abreu is a sabermetrics hall-of-famer, but he's a loser. Never goes for the big hit in the big situation; just looks for the walk. Helps his OBP, but it doesn't help his team win.

Not really. Bobby Abreus advanced stats are not all that great. Ryan Howards career OPS is higher than Abreus as is his WAR every year since 2006. He may have a high OBP but that is not a sabermetric stat.
    To say Rbi's isn't important or overrated is like saying having sex is as fun without nutting. Sorry for that analogy but I figuired all guys would understand it in that text. A player can get a million singles or doubles but if someone in the lineup dosent knock them in then the player obs or avg is pointless to winning a ball game. Getting on base is pointless if you don't score. Ryan Howards job is to hit hrs and drive in runs and he does that job better then anyone in baseball since he's ben in the majors.
    Go Birds!!!!
    To say Rbi's isn't important or overrated is like saying having sex is as fun without nutting. Sorry for that analogy but I figuired all guys would understand it in that text. A player can get a million singles or doubles but if someone in the lineup dosent knock them in then the player obs or avg is pointless to winning a ball game. Getting on base is pointless if you don't score. Ryan Howards job is to hit hrs and drive in runs and he does that job better then anyone in baseball since he's ben in the majors.

I get what you are saying but what you don't get is that RBI's rely on the players around you a lot and therefore are not a measure of a players overall ability. If Ryan Howard was playing for the Pirates, he would hit 80 RBI's a year. Would he be less of a player? No, but if you just looked at RBI's and HR's he would look like less of one.

Edit: Ryan Howard is overrated because he is only very good at one thing. If he were on the Pirates he would still be good at that one thing but his RBI and HR numbers would just be much much lower.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

I get what you are saying but what you don't get is that RBI's rely on the players around you a lot and therefore are not a measure of a players overall ability. If Ryan Howard was playing for the Pirates, he would hit 80 RBI's a year. Would he be less of a player? No, but if you just looked at RBI's and HR's he would look like less of one.

Edit: Ryan Howard is overrated because he is only very good at one thing. If he were on the Pirates he would still be good at that one thing but his RBI and HR numbers would just be much much lower.

A healthy ryan howard would have over a 100rbis on the pirates,royals,astros. There's always gonna be people on at some point or another. I get were what your trying to say as well. But the man is a machine at driving in runs. I'm not sure of his stats but carlos lee with houston is on a bad team for years now and when he was healthy he was still putting up big numbers with stiffs around. Hell adam dunn is a perfect example he's putting up huge numbners and besides him and zimmerman that lineup is a joke. When your a rbi or hour machine u find ays to get good to great stats no matter what talents around you.
    Go Birds!!!!
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

A healthy ryan howard would have over a 100rbis on the pirates,royals,astros. There's always gonna be people on at some point or another. I get were what your trying to say as well. But the man is a machine at driving in runs. I'm not sure of his stats but carlos lee with houston is on a bad team for years now and when he was healthy he was still putting up big numbers with stiffs around. Hell adam dunn is a perfect example he's putting up huge numbners and besides him and zimmerman that lineup is a joke. When your a rbi or hour machine u find ays to get good to great stats no matter what talents around you.

We can agrue about hom many he would have all day but the fact is we will never know if he would hit 80 or 110. The fact is, he would have less. And his HR total would be less because you can pitch around him. Whether his numbers are lower by 30 or 60, they are still lower but he would not be less of a player. He simply has more chances to drive in runs and hit home runs on the team he is on. I don't hate Ryan Howard (I don't really care about Ryan Howard), I just like arguing baseball. I just think he does only one thing very well, and that is hit HR's.
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,423
    The Fixer wrote:
    pjhawks wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

miguel cabrera, morneau, texiera, pujols, votto, gonzalez, youkilis. all better than howard

you know Mikael renberg once scored 40 goals right? hitting that number doesn't mean a player is good. Just like 40 homers doesn't mean a player is good (adam dunn for example)

you love stats...you just need to learn which ones are worth a damn

you are too funny with that list of 1B better than howard.

what part of every year didnt you understand dumb---? Renberg did it what once? Carter has been a top scorer for what 3, 4 years now and no reason that won't continue. and why bring singleton into the argument - at what point did i ever compare Jeff Carter to anyone? All i said was saying be blows is idiotic - but that is par for the course for your sports opinions apparantly.

carter has scored 30 goals twice in his career. other than that he contributes absolutely zero to the flyers. he had one of the worst playoff series in flyers history last year vs the pens

you look at his stats, see 40 goals one year, and assume he's a good player. not true

averaging 36 goals over his last 3 seasons including missing 8 games this year. but you are right he sucks.

It blows my mind how a career 281 hitter who avgs 49 hrs and 143 rbis is getting bashed on a constant basis,especially when he's producing solid numbers yet again.

Spot on there jamminpearls - just insanity the bashing of Howard in this thread.
    "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

I am officially done with the Ryan Howard conversation.
    edited July 2010
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

I am officially done with the Ryan Howard conversation.

i think you said that two months ago. :lol:

he's a great power hitter and run producer who is probably overpaid. let's leave it at that....and then go win another fucking championship with him anchoring the middle of our lineup. :mrgreen:
    Post edited by The Juggler on
    www.myspace.com
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    Howard with the bomb. Win blowing, should be a high scoring game
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:

Well then it shouldn't count cause he had an unfair advantage.I think sabermatics should add an column for wind hrs.
    Go Birds!!!!
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    81 wrote:

Well then it shouldn't count cause he had an unfair advantage.I think sabermatics should add an column for wind hrs.
    don't give the sabergeeks anymore weird stats to come up it might fry their nerdy brains
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

Haha, there actually is a site that calculates the angle, speed off the bat and wind of all home runs and tells you if they are sure things or just made it out. It also tells you how many parks it would be out of. It was really interesting last year with all the talk about home runs at the new Yankees stadium
    I am serious this time jeags and fair enough.
    edited July 2010
    Post edited by jamminpearls on
    Go Birds!!!!
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Haha, there actually is a site that calculates the angle, speed off the bat and wind of all home runs and tells you if they are sure things or just made it out. It also tells you how many parks it would be out of. It was really interesting last year with all the talk about home runs at the new Yankees stadium

lol...c'mon....is there a stat explaining the best way for them to wipe their asses too? :lol:
    www.myspace.com
    Way to start the 2nd half of the season Ryan Howard you over paid bum!!!!!!! The hater and his friends will still find some dumb stats or sabermatics to complain about. Oh wait i didnt mean that seriously no hard feelings. i wasnt talkn about anyone in general. I love people who talk shit yet dont have the balls to admit the truth when they call a real fan a name.

alright simmer down now....that was a monster game by the R6. helluva stretch on that rollins throw too...i said the other day that he might be at the beginning of one of his hot homer streaks. now its 4 in the last 6 games. he loves hitting in chi town and st louis coming up too....hopefully this continues.

too bad chuck used 20 pitchers last night. i don't think we'll need any of them to be fresh with fat joe on the mound tonight. :roll:

seriously, what the hell was that about? you get down big early and then bring in a different pitcher each inning? when it was 6-2 and kendrick came in and didn't allow a run, i don't see why he didn't stay in. you're skipping his start anyway. let him try to hold them to 6, let the offense come back, and rest your other bullpen arms. that wasn't game 7 of the world series chuck.....turns out we get 6 anyway but the stupid bullpen gives up another 6 runs.

WTF.
    www.myspace.com
    who loves hitting in Chicago, Howard? they said last night he had a .233 avg agaist the flubs...then puts one out onto sheffield. :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    who loves hitting in Chicago, Howard? they said last night he had a .233 avg agaist the flubs...then puts one out onto sheffield. :lol:

well then i was wrong!.....but he hits like .900 in st louis....
    www.myspace.com
    Buster Olney said last night that the Brewers are looking to trade Prince Fielder because he is a free agent and is going to want AT LEAST what Ryan Howard received (and Scott Boras is his agent) . As I said when the contract was signed by Howard signing him early SET the market instead of following the market. so if all these 1st basemen who are free agents over the next 2 years sign for more than Howard than the contract might just not be as horrible as people like the Fixer believe and in essence could be a bargain 3 or 4 years down the road. just saying.

and agree with Jaegs - no sense Charlie using so many pitchers last night. Didn't understand using Herndon for one inning then pinch hitting for him and bringing in Kendrick. And what is the fasication with Herndon? I know he is rule 5 and have to keep him all year but i don't really see his value in keeping him. I think Figueroa was better than Herndon. I don't see Herndon being a long term guy here anyway so what is the sense of keepign him around?
    Want and get are two different things. Fielder will get more total because he is so much younger. I see him getting the same contract as Tex, which is less AAV than Howard. There are a lot of good 1B hitting the market in the next few years and not a lot of suitors. Boston wants Agon, badly.

Remember what Boras wanted for Damon, and remember what he actually got? If the market is not there, teams are not going to pay. Unless your name is Matt Holliday.

This is not me getting back in the Howard conversation. This is contract talk.
    pjhawks wrote:
    Buster Olney said last night that the Brewers are looking to trade Prince Fielder because he is a free agent and is going to want AT LEAST what Ryan Howard received (and Scott Boras is his agent) . As I said when the contract was signed by Howard signing him early SET the market instead of following the market. so if all these 1st basemen who are free agents over the next 2 years sign for more than Howard than the contract might just not be as horrible as people like the Fixer believe and in essence could be a bargain 3 or 4 years down the road. just saying.

and agree with Jaegs - no sense Charlie using so many pitchers last night. Didn't understand using Herndon for one inning then pinch hitting for him and bringing in Kendrick. And what is the fasication with Herndon? I know he is rule 5 and have to keep him all year but i don't really see his value in keeping him. I think Figueroa was better than Herndon. I don't see Herndon being a long term guy here anyway so what is the sense of keepign him around?
    The money these guys make is unreal. Do I think Howard should be getting 25mill a year no. Almost every athlete is way over paid to play a game. But since salaries are what they are Howard Is deserving of his deal. These salaries are insane in large part of owners like george steinbrenner over paying players years ago. And shit rolls down hill meaning avg-below avg players get raises cause others are grossly overpaid. Prince fielder will never get 25 mill ayear he's not worth it. Maybe 20 mill but certinaly not 25.
    Go Birds!!!!
    81 wrote:

well then i was wrong!.....but he hits like .900 in st louis....

actually, it looks like you might be right.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/players/743 ... pe=Batting

with yesterday included, he is now hitting .248 vs. the flubs, but at wrigley it's .280

in 18 games at wrigley

21 for 75 with 5 HR's, 16 rbi's, 30K's, .280 avg

in 17 Busch games
    24 for 63 with 7hrs, 29rbi's, 17k's .381 avg.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    anouther hot day with the wind out of the west (blowing out to right) around 10mph. ball should be jumping off the bat today. i'd bet the over (10)
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    metsfan wrote:
    Sabermertics are the most stupidest stats ever created. .

tough to be credible with sentences like that

and no one said ike davis was better than howard
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    metsfan wrote:

Howard comes up with 2 outs in the 9th and beats the Rockies in Game 4. He's certainly frustrating to watch a lot of the time, but he can get the job done.

werth got the GW hit in that game vs the rocks
This discussion has been closed.