***The Official Philadelphia Phillies 2012 Thread***

Comments

• jamminpearlsjamminpearls Posts: 7,078
    My problem with sabermatics and other new age stats are there flawed which kinda makes them have little to no validty. U just said that tex was rated as a bad fielder yet we know hes not. What kills me was the reasons the fixer and cliify gave as to why Howard is over rated and paid. Thats where this stems back to for me, to say other far less skilled players are better then Howard because of new age stats is nuts. The bottom line is if a player averages 49hrs a year 143rbi and bats 281 thats all the info i need. To say hes overrated cause his war or obs says so is plain old nuts. All players get payed top dollars because of the 3 most important stats and thats a fact. If a 1st basemen bats 281 and avgs 15 and 80 for his career but has a great war or obs is he gonna get payed 18-25 million? No its all about the big numbers theres a reason why they say mcgwire and sosa hr chase brought the game back. People weren't all excited about sabermatics they were excited about the long ball. At the end of the day the 3 top stats are why players get the big dollars.
    Go Birds!!!!
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,710
    But Jammin, what you are not getting is that these stats take so many things into consideration. Unless the .281, 15 home run, 80 Rbi guy, has an OBP of .400, is stealing 40 bases and scoring 100+ runs, he is not going to have a solid WAR.
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    metsfan wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    But the fact is, every GM uses advanced stats. You cite the fact it didnt work out for the Mariners, A's and Mets but the fact is every front office is using them. The Red Sox have even developed their own set of stats.

And I am not arguing with you about defensive stats, they are very flawed. I have said that many times. UZR had Tex as a below average first baseman last year which is absurd.
    i just rattled off those 3 gm's cause they are the big 3 that use them. thats why i named those 3 teams.

IfI had to pick a 'big 3' sabermetric GM users it would be tampa, texas, and boston. and maybe oakland (so I'd have a big 4). I'm not sure what billy beane having played in the minors has to do with this discussion.

the dude in seattle hasn't even been on the job for a year. I don't think you can rip him for his team not having a great year. he's just putting his mark on that team.

the defensive metrics are a work in progress. they are admittedly flawed. the pitching and hitting metrics are great tools.

you obviously follow the mets more closely than I do, but I've never read anything or heard minaya say anything related to sabermetrics. He surely wouldn't have signed K-rod to that monster contract if he was a proponent of sabermetrics.

Like cliffy said, every GM uses sabermetrics to some degree. Except ruben amaro. But we know he's clueless so he doesn't count
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    The Fixer wrote:

IfI had to pick a 'big 3' sabermetric GM users it would be tampa, texas, and boston. and maybe oakland (so I'd have a big 4). I'm not sure what billy beane having played in the minors has to do with this discussion.

the dude in seattle hasn't even been on the job for a year. I don't think you can rip him for his team not having a great year. he's just putting his mark on that team.

the defensive metrics are a work in progress. they are admittedly flawed. the pitching and hitting metrics are great tools.

you obviously follow the mets more closely than I do, but I've never read anything or heard minaya say anything related to sabermetrics. He surely wouldn't have signed K-rod to that monster contract if he was a proponent of sabermetrics.

Like cliffy said, every GM uses sabermetrics to some degree. Except ruben amaro. But we know he's clueless so he doesn't count
    i was just doing my daily bashing of the mets when i mentioned the fact beane was a bust for us. it bothers me the team never went after beane to be gm. but enough of that useless bs

i never knew omar was a sabermetrics guy till i came across a article on metsblog.com and omar was talking in the comment section to fans bout the recent signings he's made and why signed them and mentioned some sabermetric stats.

i can fault omar for giving k-rod that monster contract. look at k-rod numbers. now the bay signing was a disaster.omar is gm of the mets and has the yanks to compete with so of course he's gonna hand out huge deals now and then again to players.
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

metsfan wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

i was just doing my daily bashing of the mets when i mentioned the fact beane was a bust for us. it bothers me the team never went after beane to be gm. but enough of that useless bs

i never knew omar was a sabermetrics guy till i came across a article on metsblog.com and omar was talking in the comment section to fans bout the recent signings he's made and why signed them and mentioned some sabermetric stats.

i can fault omar for giving k-rod that monster contract. look at k-rod numbers. now the bay signing was a disaster.omar is gm of the mets and has the yanks to compete with so of course he's gonna hand out huge deals now and then again to players.

gotcha. I thought it was funny in moneyball when beane talked about playing in the minors with dykstra. that's what is great about baseball...some guys just can't take the failure that comes along with playing baseball. you fail 7 out of 10 times at the plate and you're an all star
    The Fixer wrote:

gotcha. I thought it was funny in moneyball when beane talked about playing in the minors with dykstra. that's what is great about baseball...some guys just can't take the failure that comes along with playing baseball. you fail 7 out of 10 times at the plate and you're an all star
    i've never actually read moneyball :oops:

http://www.metsblog.com/2010/06/30/buzz ... /#comments

astromets is omar

if you got time to wad through all this he brings up a few sabermetrics stats and has a go at some met fans

metsfan wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

astromets is omar

if you got time to wad through all this he brings up a few sabermetrics stats and has a go at some met fans

you should check out moneyball. it's pretty much outdated at this point, but it's an easy read. I think they're making moneyball the movie too

beane was a highly touted prospect and dykstra was a fringe prospect. Scouts said beane had 20 times the talent as dykstra. beane used to beat himself up after every out while dykstra would just plug away without a care in the world. kinda makes sense since dykstra comes across to be dumber than a brick. Beane eventually came to terms with that fact that he could not accept failure so he pursued a job in management.

I love the mental aspect of baseball
    The Fixer wrote:

you should check out moneyball. it's pretty much outdated at this point, but it's an easy read. I think they're making moneyball the movie too

beane was a highly touted prospect and dykstra was a fringe prospect. Scouts said beane had 20 times the talent as dykstra. beane used to beat himself up after every out while dykstra would just plug away without a care in the world. kinda makes sense since dykstra comes across to be dumber than a brick. Beane eventually came to terms with that fact that he could not accept failure so he pursued a job in management.

I love the mental aspect of baseball

mets also valued beane more then strawberry. beane was put in single A his rookie year and strawberry was put in rookie ball. dont think i need to write the rest of both careers haha.

anyother sabermetrics books by beane or others. figured i'd really get deep into this more.

• The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,492
    metsfan wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

astromets is omar

huh? you can't seriously believe that astromets guy is really omar minaya. do you really think the general manager of the new york mets spends his whole day arguing with idiot fans on a blog? :lol::lol: i think he's got more important things to tend to.

you gotta be kidding....right??
    www.myspace.com
    metsfan wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

astromets is omar

huh? you can't seriously believe that astromets guy is really omar minaya. do you really think the general manager of the new york mets spends his whole day arguing with idiot fans on a blog? :lol::lol: i think he's got more important things to tend to.

instead of making lame jokes why not read through it jeags and you will see it's omar. i know you didn't read it cause god forbid you read something mets related.

metsfan wrote:
    metsfan wrote:

instead of making lame jokes why not read through it jeags and you will see it's omar. i know you didn't read it cause god forbid you read something mets related.

i did read through it. and then i did googled it. the guy is all over the place. he or she is not the general manager of your favorite baseball team.
    www.myspace.com
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,710
    I have not read that link but I do know for a fact cashman shows up at nomass.org from time to time

astromets June 30, 2010 at 5:43 pm

im not talking about bay, but since you bring him up – i never wanted him (i wanted holliday or bust) and he has been better than frenchy at least. compare – bay has better average, better obp, better slugging, better wOBA, better WAR, 6 fewer RBI’s but 10 more runs, (RBI’s are not a great indicator), more doubles and only 2 fewer HR’s, more stolen bases…do i like bay, heck no, but when it comes to stats he is at least in the top 15 among LF’s for almost all useful ones. jeff is last or near last in almost all

astromets knows alota bout sabermetrics and the mets farm system. i highly doubt the average fan is knee deep in either of those 2.

astromets June 30, 2010 at 1:58 pm

mejia wont be allowed back up here so its moot. and he is injured for who knows how long, so again moot

jamie_ June 30, 2010 at 2:20 pm

Are you Omar? Because if you’re not, pretty sure to say definitvely that he won’t be back up here is presumptuous. Teams do what they have to do, and plans change. Murphy was going to be our 1B, remember?

It’s a minor cuff-strain, it’s unlikely to keep him out for the year, so again: not moot. (actually, the first definition of ‘moot’ is debatable or undecided. so your post is correct: both issues are moot.)

astromets June 30, 2010 at 2:32 pm

maybe i am omar and i just love fighting with bloggers so much. i just dont see him delaying his progress as a starter anymore. it was pretty clear he didn’t have enough to even be here and he would sooner bring up acosta then mejia again, in my opinion obviously

jamie_ June 30, 2010 at 2:39 pm

if you are Omar, apologies, I’m generally a fan of your work, and may I please watch a game from the dugout sometime?

Ok then, acosta. Difference of opinion on Mejia’s potential usage/availability aside, the point being: Parnell is an easily replaceable middle reliever.

astromets June 30, 2010 at 5:32 pm

if he is so easily replaceable, how come we havent had anyone like him up here yet? you know, who can get outs consistently without too many walks

metsfan wrote:

astromets June 30, 2010 at 5:43 pm

im not talking about bay, but since you bring him up – i never wanted him (i wanted holliday or bust) and he has been better than frenchy at least. compare – bay has better average, better obp, better slugging, better wOBA, better WAR, 6 fewer RBI’s but 10 more runs, (RBI’s are not a great indicator), more doubles and only 2 fewer HR’s, more stolen bases…do i like bay, heck no, but when it comes to stats he is at least in the top 15 among LF’s for almost all useful ones. jeff is last or near last in almost all

astromets knows alota bout sabermetrics and the mets farm system. i highly doubt the average fan is knee deep in either of those 2.

astromets June 30, 2010 at 1:58 pm

mejia wont be allowed back up here so its moot. and he is injured for who knows how long, so again moot

jamie_ June 30, 2010 at 2:20 pm

Are you Omar? Because if you’re not, pretty sure to say definitvely that he won’t be back up here is presumptuous. Teams do what they have to do, and plans change. Murphy was going to be our 1B, remember?

It’s a minor cuff-strain, it’s unlikely to keep him out for the year, so again: not moot. (actually, the first definition of ‘moot’ is debatable or undecided. so your post is correct: both issues are moot.)

astromets June 30, 2010 at 2:32 pm

maybe i am omar and i just love fighting with bloggers so much. i just dont see him delaying his progress as a starter anymore. it was pretty clear he didn’t have enough to even be here and he would sooner bring up acosta then mejia again, in my opinion obviously

jamie_ June 30, 2010 at 2:39 pm

if you are Omar, apologies, I’m generally a fan of your work, and may I please watch a game from the dugout sometime?

Ok then, acosta. Difference of opinion on Mejia’s potential usage/availability aside, the point being: Parnell is an easily replaceable middle reliever.

astromets June 30, 2010 at 5:32 pm

if he is so easily replaceable, how come we havent had anyone like him up here yet? you know, who can get outs consistently without too many walks

yeah i read that stuff dude. why would the gm rip on his own players?....why would he also admit further down in the blog that he attended college near atlanta around 2005? just because the guy appears to know a lot about the mets, and because one dude said "are you omar?"---doesn't mean its him. google him. he's all over the place. all the time. he's a 25 year old kid with time on his hands.
    www.myspace.com
    :lol:
    c'mon dude...

http://www.sbnation.com/users/astromets/activity/26
    astromets
    joined Aug 11, 2009 last login Jul 16, 2010 posts 22 comments 5906

Just graduated (spring 2010) from Emory U in Atlanta studying Astronomy and Physics, with a minor in Math. Going to Clemson for graduate school starting in the fall 2010 to get a doctorate in Astronomy and Physics.

I love baseball and everything Mets. I have been a Met fan since I was little, Yankees rubbed me the wrong way even before I knew what an RBI was. I have been a diehard who hates missing a single game since I tuned in to watch John Olerud hit a cycle when I was 10. :lol::lol: He was my favorite Met at first, but Piazza my favorite player at the time and then the next season he became my favorite Met and player, so he will always be my favorite player and I do not believe he ever did steroids.

I also like to root for the Giants, Rangers and Knicks (and technically Lakers cause of my dad and grandpa); or generally, correctly played and refereed games. I especially enjoy soccer with a beer at a bar.
    www.myspace.com
    so to sum up: the metsfan confused a 22 year old, recent college graduate, for........... the general manager of the new york mets. :?

constant entertainment. that's what you get around here people. :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::clap::clap::clap::clap:
    www.myspace.com
    so to sum up: the metsfan confused a 22 year old, recent college graduate, for........... the general manager of the new york mets. :?

constant entertainment. that's what you get around here people. :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::clap::clap::clap::clap:

Detective Jeagler is on the case
    The Fixer wrote:

Detective Jeagler is on the case

the magic of a search bar.
    www.myspace.com

well the dude apparently has way to much on his hands then and knows way to much bout the mets and sabermetrics. i think need to hand in my metsfan name on here.

metsfan wrote:

well the dude apparently has way to much on his hands then and knows way to much bout the mets and sabermetrics. i think need to hand in my metsfan name on here.

change it to astromets. if you can't beat him......BECOME HIM.
    www.myspace.com
    metsfan wrote:

change it to astromets. if you can't beat him......BECOME HIM.

i'd rather pass on copying someones name whose balls deep into the mets and sabermetrics and probably plays D&D

• neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    BASEBALL TALK WENT SOUTH IN THIS THREAD :lol:
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
    good to have polly back today...
    www.myspace.com

Big win today but everyone in the lineup except howard is a disaster right now. I think victorino,werth, and ibanez have a bet to see who can suck the most
    The Fixer wrote:

Big win today but everyone in the lineup except howard is a disaster right now. I think victorino,werth, and ibanez have a bet to see who can suck the most
    :shock: :o :P :clap: Did i read what i think i did.
    Go Birds!!!!
    The Fixer wrote:

:shock: :o :P :clap: Did i read what i think i did.

Knew that was coming. The phils are a mess. Howard is the only one hitting at all right now. Don't hate him, just his contract
    The best thing about today was another strong outing by Hamels. Howard might really go on a streak with the fixer now backing him,as the Jeagler says ALL ABOARD :)
    Go Birds!!!!
    The Fixer wrote:

they said werth hasn't had a hit with 2 outs and runners in scoring position since mid may. MID MAY.
    www.myspace.com
    hopefully the braves lose tonight...we'll be right where we were at the break.

must win tomorrow night.

here's an early happy halladays to everyone! :wave:

now i'm gonna go grill the shit out of these strips. beer, in tow...
    www.myspace.com
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,773
    nice win, cole has pitched very well the last 3 games. Hoping they win tomorrow for the split at least.
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC