***The Official Philadelphia Phillies 2012 Thread***

Comments

• The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    Way to start the 2nd half of the season Ryan Howard you over paid bum!!!!!!! The hater and his friends will still find some dumb stats or sabermatics to complain about. Oh wait i didnt mean that seriously no hard feelings. i wasnt talkn about anyone in general. I love people who talk shit yet dont have the balls to admit the truth when they call a real fan a name.

alright simmer down now....that was a monster game by the R6. helluva stretch on that rollins throw too...i said the other day that he might be at the beginning of one of his hot homer streaks. now its 4 in the last 6 games. he loves hitting in chi town and st louis coming up too....hopefully this continues.

too bad chuck used 20 pitchers last night. i don't think we'll need any of them to be fresh with fat joe on the mound tonight. :roll:

seriously, what the hell was that about? you get down big early and then bring in a different pitcher each inning? when it was 6-2 and kendrick came in and didn't allow a run, i don't see why he didn't stay in. you're skipping his start anyway. let him try to hold them to 6, let the offense come back, and rest your other bullpen arms. that wasn't game 7 of the world series chuck.....turns out we get 6 anyway but the stupid bullpen gives up another 6 runs.

WTF.

moyer had no business starting last night. manuel is still awful

they really need to make a trade...moyer stinks
    pjhawks wrote:
    Buster Olney said last night that the Brewers are looking to trade Prince Fielder because he is a free agent and is going to want AT LEAST what Ryan Howard received (and Scott Boras is his agent) . As I said when the contract was signed by Howard signing him early SET the market instead of following the market. so if all these 1st basemen who are free agents over the next 2 years sign for more than Howard than the contract might just not be as horrible as people like the Fixer believe and in essence could be a bargain 3 or 4 years down the road. just saying.

and agree with Jaegs - no sense Charlie using so many pitchers last night. Didn't understand using Herndon for one inning then pinch hitting for him and bringing in Kendrick. And what is the fasication with Herndon? I know he is rule 5 and have to keep him all year but i don't really see his value in keeping him. I think Figueroa was better than Herndon. I don't see Herndon being a long term guy here anyway so what is the sense of keepign him around?

fielder is entering his prime (he's only 26). howard gives diminshing returns on his contract because he's already peaked. fielder should make more if you are paying for expected performance. amaro doesn't believe in doing this...he'd rather pay for what a player has done, not what he will do. that's why he has sucked as a GM
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,710
    Matinee baseball and The British Open, productivity is at a minimum.
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    The Fixer wrote:
    metsfan wrote:
    Sabermertics are the most stupidest stats ever created. .

tough to be credible with sentences like that

and no one said ike davis was better than howard
    dude newsflash for ya no one in this thread besides cliffy(no offense dude) and jearlpam takes you seriously when you base a player on stats that are for fantasy geeks with no lifes and gm's. So tell me something how many world series have the A's won or even gone to the world series. Don't bring up payroll cause if the marlins and rays can make the playoffs the A's sure as fuck can.

Where in any of my posts did I ever say ike davis was better then howard. All I said was I wish ike davis could be half the player the howard is. If you wanna twist words that fit your view and wanna believe your right then that's your problem not mine.
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

metsfan wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:
    metsfan wrote:
    Sabermertics are the most stupidest stats ever created. .

tough to be credible with sentences like that

and no one said ike davis was better than howard
    dude newsflash for ya no one in this thread besides cliffy(no offense dude) and jearlpam takes you seriously when you base a player on stats that are for fantasy geeks with no lifes and gm's. So tell me something how many world series have the A's won or even gone to the world series. Don't bring up payroll cause if the marlins and rays can make the playoffs the A's sure as fuck can.

Where in any of my posts did I ever say ike davis was better then howard. All I said was I wish ike davis could be half the player the howard is. If you wanna twist words that fit your view and wanna believe your right then that's your problem not mine.

relax bro. not sure what your point is. you're all over the place in your rant

you don't like sabermetrics...ok, fine. no one said you have to. not sure what your beef is
    phils expected to sign george sherrill in the next 48 hours (he was cut by LAD)
  • jamminpearlsjamminpearls Posts: 7,078
    Pretty sad that a muts fan makes more sense then a phillies fan but it happen.
    Go Birds!!!!
    ted lilly looking good. put him on the plane and throw a phils jersey on him

EDIT: nothing like a little reverse jinx action. nice to see victorino is still alive
    The Fixer wrote:
    Sherrill got payed traded and has sucked since. I don't want any part of him and I don't want lilly either.
    Go Birds!!!!
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    Fixer my beef with you is that your always bashing howard day in and day out. Any team in the majors league would love to have him in their lineup. The phils are nothing without howard. He gives batters infront of him and behind him protection.

My 2nd beef with you is that you think I said ike davis was better then howard. So when I call you out on that you come up with the oddest post I've ever seen since I've been a member.

Aruging with you is like aruging with a brick wall

Since you hate howard so much I'll trade you davis, niese, mejia and pagan and thole for howard and werth. You'd be the only person to be crazy enough to make that trade.
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

The Fixer wrote:
    Sherrill got payed traded and has sucked since. I don't want any part of him and I don't want lilly either.

they need another lefty in the pen. don't have to give up anything for sherrill and he should sign on the cheap. He wouldn't be my first choice, but he's better than zagurski or bastardo.

I'd love to see them trade for Lilly. I can't take many more moyer starts. What SP do you think they should go after?

Mets going after brett myers
    metsfan wrote:
    Fixer my beef with you is that your always bashing howard day in and day out. Any team in the majors league would love to have him in their lineup. The phils are nothing without howard. He gives batters infront of him and behind him protection.

My 2nd beef with you is that you think I said ike davis was better then howard. So when I call you out on that you come up with the oddest post I've ever seen since I've been a member.

Aruging with you is like aruging with a brick wall

Since you hate howard so much I'll trade you davis, niese, mejia and pagan and thole for howard and werth. You'd be the only person to be crazy enough to make that trade.

Man, I'm not trying to argue with you.

You said you'd take howard over Ike davis in a heartbeat. well, no shit...who wouldn't?

my problem has never been with howard, it's his contract that sucks
    I'd try hard to get the royals closer for starters. As for starting pitching maybe a westbrook or levan hernadez. Doubt wash would give him up but both guys are horses.
    Go Birds!!!!
    I'd try hard to get the royals closer for starters. As for starting pitching maybe a westbrook or levan hernadez. Doubt wash would give him up but both guys are horses.

livan hernandez? you'd rather have him than lilly?

KC isn't trading soria. even if they do the phils would most likely have to give up singleton, cosart, or colvin and I don't see that happening for a bullpen guy

Just because you are a Phillies fan and love your team does not mean you can't look at a situation logically. Look at stats, figure out what they mean and decide which ones you like. I do not like all advanced stats, but a lot of them can tell you a whole lot about a players ability. If GM's and scouts are using these stats to evalute players, how are the irrelevant and not important and why should we ignore them?

Within 5 years OPS with be an official MLB statstic. You act like Ryan Howard is the second coming of Babe Ruth for fucks sake. Do we probably trash him a little more than he deserves? Yes, but that is only because he has an absurd contract.

If you can take a look at these stats, research them a bit and honestly tell me that you think RBI's and HR's are the best way to measure a players ability then I don't know what to tell you. But trashing these stats when you don't have a fucking clue what they are just makes you look ignorant.
    The Fixer wrote:

livan hernandez? you'd rather have him than lilly?

KC isn't trading soria. even if they do the phils would most likely have to give up singleton, cosart, or colvin and I don't see that happening for a bullpen guy
    Not a liily fan and we usually hit him well. Livan has been a horse this year and if we could get him he probably wouldn't cost that much to get. Myers would be my 1st choice but I doubt that would happen.
    Go Birds!!!!
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,492
    The Fixer wrote:
    pjhawks wrote:
    Buster Olney said last night that the Brewers are looking to trade Prince Fielder because he is a free agent and is going to want AT LEAST what Ryan Howard received (and Scott Boras is his agent) . As I said when the contract was signed by Howard signing him early SET the market instead of following the market. so if all these 1st basemen who are free agents over the next 2 years sign for more than Howard than the contract might just not be as horrible as people like the Fixer believe and in essence could be a bargain 3 or 4 years down the road. just saying.

and agree with Jaegs - no sense Charlie using so many pitchers last night. Didn't understand using Herndon for one inning then pinch hitting for him and bringing in Kendrick. And what is the fasication with Herndon? I know he is rule 5 and have to keep him all year but i don't really see his value in keeping him. I think Figueroa was better than Herndon. I don't see Herndon being a long term guy here anyway so what is the sense of keepign him around?

fielder is entering his prime (he's only 26). howard gives diminshing returns on his contract because he's already peaked. fielder should make more if you are paying for expected performance. amaro doesn't believe in doing this...he'd rather pay for what a player has done, not what he will do. that's why he has sucked as a GM

howard's like pearl jam. they'll never top Ten...but they've remained pretty damn good for the last 2 decades. so the whole "peak" thing isn't quite fair to him. those first 2 seasons were not just good, they were historic. other than the hr numbers (which the whole league is down in right now--but i fully expect his 2nd half #'s to be better than 1st half) he's having one of his best season's since those first couple.

also--olney called fielder the worst fielding first baseman in the league...not howard. just saying.

thought this conversation was over? :lol:

shane with a solo shot!
    GO PHILS.
    www.myspace.com
    The Fixer wrote:
    pjhawks wrote:

howard's like pearl jam. they'll never top Ten...but they've remained pretty damn good for the last 2 decades. so the whole "peak" thing isn't quite fair to him. those first 2 seasons were not just good, they were historic. other than the hr numbers (which the whole league is down in right now--but i fully expect his 2nd half #'s to be better than 1st half) he's having one of his best season's since those first couple.

also--olney called fielder the worst fielding first baseman in the league...not howard. just saying.

shane with a solo shot!
    GO PHILS.

great analogy with the PJ Ten - first 2 howard years. that is perfect.

howard is still productive. he just shouldn't be the 2nd highest paid player in baseball.

fielder and howard are both awful in the field. howard does have more range than fielder...which is scary since he moves like a dinosaur
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Just because you are a Phillies fan and love your team does not mean you can't look at a situation logically. Look at stats, figure out what they mean and decide which ones you like. I do not like all advanced stats, but a lot of them can tell you a whole lot about a players ability. If GM's and scouts are using these stats to evalute players, how are the irrelevant and not important and why should we ignore them?

Within 5 years OPS with be an official MLB statstic. You act like Ryan Howard is the second coming of Babe Ruth for fucks sake. Do we probably trash him a little more than he deserves? Yes, but that is only because he has an absurd contract.

If you can take a look at these stats, research them a bit and honestly tell me that you think RBI's and HR's are the best way to measure a players ability then I don't know what to tell you. But trashing these stats when you don't have a fucking clue what they are just makes you look ignorant.

First me being a philly fan has nothing to do with me thinking howards a good player. Me watching him on a daily makes me think he's a great clutch power hitter who makes everyone in the lineup better.

I understand what all stats mean,just because I don't value stats in a certain order or over value stats like sabermatics does not make me ignortant. Its funny how u say babe ruths name,howards numbers are actually the closiest to his I'd dare say for his 1st 5 seasons. But thanks anyways for the post it gave me a chuckle.
    Go Birds!!!!
    . Its funny how u say babe ruths name,howards numbers are actually the closiest to his I'd dare say for his 1st 5 seasons. But thanks anyways for the post it gave me a chuckle.

Are you fucking kidding me?
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    you all need to learn to agree to disagree. :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    funny that all this howard talk is heating up just as the R6 is in the middle of a patented homer streak---another bomb today! :mrgreen:

ALLLLLLLLLLLL ABOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOARD!
    www.myspace.com
    funny that all this howard talk is heating up just as the R6 is in the middle of a patented homer streak---another bomb today! :mrgreen:

A regular Babe Ruth. :lol::lol::lol:
    The Fixer wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

shane with a solo shot!
    GO PHILS.

great analogy with the PJ Ten - first 2 howard years. that is perfect.

howard is still productive. he just shouldn't be the 2nd highest paid player in baseball.

fielder and howard are both awful in the field. howard does have more range than fielder...which is scary since he moves like a dinosaur

common ground. it has been acheived!
    www.myspace.com
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

A regular Babe Ruth. :lol::lol::lol:

modern day :mrgreen:
    www.myspace.com
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    now we are getting the runs i expected
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Posts: 11,333
    The Fixer wrote:
    Sabermetrics are little bit overrated these days. Bobby Abreu is a sabermetrics hall-of-famer, but he's a loser. Never goes for the big hit in the big situation; just looks for the walk. Helps his OBP, but it doesn't help his team win.

Howard comes up with 2 outs in the 9th and beats the Rockies in Game 4. He's certainly frustrating to watch a lot of the time, but he can get the job done.

werth got the GW hit in that game vs the rocks

Ok, but Howard tied it and scored the winning run. It was a huge hit and if Howard doesn't tie that game we're down to Game 5 with Cole Hamels. No blue flag in 2009 without Howard. He is a franchise player, certainly with some flaws, but a franchise player nonetheless. We should all have a litlte more appreciation after watching Rico Brogna et al.

By the way, I'm glad we're paying Blanton $2M less that we would've been paying Lee this year.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
    also, for the record, i believe pearl jam peaked with Yield...but that is a topic for an actual pearl jam thread--imagine that :lol:
    www.myspace.com
    The Fixer wrote:
    Sabermetrics are little bit overrated these days. Bobby Abreu is a sabermetrics hall-of-famer, but he's a loser. Never goes for the big hit in the big situation; just looks for the walk. Helps his OBP, but it doesn't help his team win.

Howard comes up with 2 outs in the 9th and beats the Rockies in Game 4. He's certainly frustrating to watch a lot of the time, but he can get the job done.

werth got the GW hit in that game vs the rocks

Ok, but Howard tied it and scored the winning run. It was a huge hit and if Howard doesn't tie that game we're down to Game 5 with Cole Hamels. No blue flag in 2009 without Howard. He is a franchise player, certainly with some flaws, but a franchise player nonetheless. We should all have a litlte more appreciation after watching Rico Brogna et al.

By the way, I'm glad we're paying Blanton $2M less that we would've been paying Lee this year.

but brogna had back to back 100 RBI seasons as a phillie!!!

the howard double off huston street was huge. most times people forget about the hits that tie close games(like victorino's HR in the stairs game vs LA) and they are more important than the game winning hits.

I never complain about umps, but I think blanton is getting squeezed by this dude
    They peaked with no code,pure genius. And R6 with another bomb hell yeah,I can imagine the fixer watching it. Damn howard making me sound wrong damn it stop hitting hrs:)
    Go Birds!!!!
This discussion has been closed.