***The Official Philadelphia Phillies 2012 Thread***

Comments

• jamminpearlsjamminpearls Posts: 7,078
    I kind of like The R6 as Howard's nickname actually. It's a slow, lumbering train that's usually late and it's representative of Philly.
    I agree R6 is a cool name imo. Certain people hate everything Ryan Howard because he signed a big contract. Nevermind what he actually does on the diamond,but whats in his bank account is more important :roll: :?
    Go Birds!!!!
  • Phantom PainPhantom Pain Posts: 9,876
    I kind of like The R6 as Howard's nickname actually. It's a slow, lumbering train that's usually late and it's representative of Philly.
    I agree R6 is a cool name imo. Certain people hate everything Ryan Howard because he signed a big contract. Nevermind what he actually does on the diamond,but whats in his bank account is more important :roll: :?

I was there Friday Night !!! ALL ABOARD !!!

I had seats in Sec 108 down the first baseline...J-Dubb the whole night was throwing the ball they warm up with in between innings to the crowd..does he normally do that ? or just started because of the fan debacle ?
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
    Very nice way to end the 1st half,Hamels looked really good today. Go Phils!!!!!!
    Go Birds!!!!
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,773
    The Fixer wrote:

also, victorino is rapidly rising on my shit list. He's gotta catch that ball in right center late in the game (forget what inning...play where he slid into francisco). That was awful

musical ref:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjKgiTzLPMs

Another great pitching match up. Great way to enter the all star break with a sweep. :clap:
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,492
    again with the howard stuff? jesus guys....this thread's like a broken record.

and The R6 is a helluva nickname. its perfect for him. ALLLLL ABOOOOOOOOARD!

bats are still sleeping, but that was a great way to end the first half. bravos lost today so we're 4.5 out of first right now.

polanco is gonna start rehabbing soon....if we can swing a decent starter and reliever (i dont trust lidge as far as i can throw him) in the next couple weeks, we'll be fine.....oh and if its true that they are willing to dump ibanez and bring up the kid, then god bless them for not being afraid to shake things up.

GO. PHILS.
    www.myspace.com
    Dom Brown left the game early with a poss hamstring injury.
    Go Birds!!!!
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,955
    A sweep is a sweep is a sweep is a sweep is a sweep.
    Dom Brown left the game early with a poss hamstring injury.

Yeah ,and it's nothing serious.
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,423

bats are still sleeping, but that was a great way to end the first half. bravos lost today so we're 4.5 out of first right now.

polanco is gonna start rehabbing soon....if we can swing a decent starter and reliever (i dont trust lidge as far as i can throw him) in the next couple weeks, we'll be fine.....oh and if its true that they are willing to dump ibanez and bring up the kid, then god bless them for not being afraid to shake things up.

GO. PHILS.

i wonder what losing 4 straight does for Joey Votto's WAR? Well at least he had a great OPS this weekend and a great fantasy baseball weekend.

But in all seriousness what a strange series. Didn't think the Phils played particularly well but somehow managed to win all 4. Kind of hard to believe as bad as this team has looked at times they are right there with the Mets and the wild card and not too far back from the Braves.
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    pjhawks wrote:

GO. PHILS.

i wonder what losing 4 straight does for Joey Votto's WAR?

nothing. you obviously don't get it

I hate all star week...worst 3 days of the year for sports. gotta try to squeeze some QT in with the wife
    The Fixer wrote:
    pjhawks wrote:

GO. PHILS.

i wonder what losing 4 straight does for Joey Votto's WAR?

nothing. you obviously don't get it

I hate all star week...worst 3 days of the year for sports. gotta try to squeeze some QT in with the wife

the monday and wednesday nights really suck. luckily monday's are late shift night for me at work....you don't enjoy the game itself though? i still like it...just wish bud selig didn't f it all up...

also---csn is showing a sixers/bulls classic game from 1987 tonight for some reason. some epic barkley vs jordan battle back when collins was the bulls coach. the fiance had better remembered to set the dvr for me...
    www.myspace.com

the monday and wednesday nights really suck. luckily monday's are late shift night for me at work....you don't enjoy the game itself though? i still like it...just wish bud selig didn't f it all up...

also---csn is showing a sixers/bulls classic game from 1987 tonight for some reason. some epic barkley vs jordan battle back when collins was the bulls coach. the fiance had better remembered to set the dvr for me...

nah, I hate all star games. They do absolutely nothing for me. The Derby is unwatchable due to the espn broadcast. Chris Berman even annoys me if I mute the TV

We have been watching Dexter on Netflix. Probably be watching that all week. And Always Sunny reruns on comedy central tonight.
    The Fixer wrote:

nah, I hate all star games. They do absolutely nothing for me. The Derby is unwatchable due to the espn broadcast. Chris Berman even annoys me if I mute the TV

We have been watching Dexter on Netflix. Probably be watching that all week. And Always Sunny reruns on comedy central tonight.

this is the only all star game i like. its not the same as it used to be though.

dexter is great. best show on tv. i love catching up on shows through netflix or on demand. watched all 5 seasons of weeds in a couple weeks recently. thats how i saw the first 2 dexter seasons too.
    www.myspace.com

this is the only all star game i like. its not the same as it used to be though.

dexter is great. best show on tv. i love catching up on shows through netflix or on demand. watched all 5 seasons of weeds in a couple weeks recently. thats how i saw the first 2 dexter seasons too.

yeah, we just got it a few months ago. First show I watched was the Wire. That is the best show I've ever seen. Highly recommended if you haven't seen it.

Dexter is pretty good...we're on season 3. Season 1 was great, season 2 was just OK. Buddies have told me 3 and 4 are the two best.

I'm like a crack fiend when I get a DVD in the mail. I just want to keep watching episodes

How is Weeds? Never seen that one. Only premium channel I have is HBO. Not sure why I still have it since all of their shows stink (especially entourage)
    The Fixer wrote:

yeah, we just got it a few months ago. First show I watched was the Wire. That is the best show I've ever seen. Highly recommended if you haven't seen it.

Dexter is pretty good...we're on season 3. Season 1 was great, season 2 was just OK. Buddies have told me 3 and 4 are the two best.

I'm like a crack fiend when I get a DVD in the mail. I just want to keep watching episodes

How is Weeds? Never seen that one. Only premium channel I have is HBO. Not sure why I still have it since all of their shows stink (especially entourage)

i hear that about the wire all the time. havent seen much of it though.

entourage was absolute garbage last year. too early to tell, but i think they've rebounded a bit with this new season so far. we'll see.

weeds is cool...just compeletely unrealistic--especially after the first couple seasons. very entertaining though.

with dexter, season 1 was phenomenal. 2 was okay. i thought 3 was kinda stupid. but 4, with john lithgow, is mind blowingly great television. lithgow is a beast of an actor. something to look forward to for you
    www.myspace.com
    The Fixer wrote:

entourage was absolute garbage last year. too early to tell, but i think they've rebounded a bit with this new season so far. we'll see.

weeds is cool...just compeletely unrealistic--especially after the first couple seasons. very entertaining though.

with dexter, season 1 was phenomenal. 2 was okay. i thought 3 was kinda stupid. but 4, with john lithgow, is mind blowingly great television. lithgow is a beast of an actor. something to look forward to for you

The Wire is unbelievable. throw it in your queue next time you're ready to start a new show.

I don't know what season entourage is on now, but I think it has sucked since season 3 (first 2 seasons were great). Now it's about how many celebrity cameos they can fit into each episode. I think the first 2 episodes have been horrendous. For the last couple of years I have asked myself why I keep watching the show...but I'm stupid and I keep watching. The only funny episode of the past few years was the tom brady episode. Lloyd is the worst character of all time...even worse than dexter's sister.

Lithgow is a beast. he was great in cliffhanger, haha. He is a great bad guy. he's a poor man's john malkovich
    The Fixer wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

The Wire is unbelievable. throw it in your queue next time you're ready to start a new show.

I don't know what season entourage is on now, but I think it has sucked since season 3 (first 2 seasons were great). Now it's about how many celebrity cameos they can fit into each episode. I think the first 2 episodes have been horrendous. For the last couple of years I have asked myself why I keep watching the show...but I'm stupid and I keep watching. The only funny episode of the past few years was the tom brady episode. Lloyd is the worst character of all time...even worse than dexter's sister.

Lithgow is a beast. he was great in cliffhanger, haha. He is a great bad guy. he's a poor man's john malkovich

good call with dex's sister. deb is the worst thing about that show. i don't think she's even that hot. and i am a better actor than her.

its almost impossible for entourage to live up to those first two years. i just accept that as fact. i dont mind the celebrity cameos though, because vince is an a-list actor and ari is the biggest agent in the world. naturally they will bump into big stars. jerry jones last night though...i could have done without that. and lloyd is trash. i miss that chick he had as his assistant in season 1.
    www.myspace.com
    Did you know John Lithgow is Brad Pitt's uncle?
    back to baseball guys - how can Charlie start Howard over Joey Votto at DH - doesn't he realize Votto's WAR is much higher and his OPS is off the charts? Man Charlie is a dumbass.

ps: sarcasm guys, just being a wiseass no need to rip into me.

that is an interesting tidbit.

compelling and rich.
    www.myspace.com

compelling and rich.

Sounds like it could be true doesn't it?

compelling and rich.

a lot of things sound like they could be true.
    www.myspace.com

compelling and rich.

But it's so random no one would question why you would make something up that was so stupid. Try it sometime.

But it's so random no one would question why you would make something up that was so stupid. Try it sometime.

pj hawks is actually keith law.
    www.myspace.com

pj hawks is actually keith law.

Who is also Billy Beane's nephew.
    edited July 2010
    pjhawks wrote:
    back to baseball guys - how can Charlie start Howard over Joey Votto at DH - doesn't he realize Votto's WAR is much higher and his OPS is off the charts? Man Charlie is a dumbass.

Manuel is a dumb ass...I agree there. Actually Howard has no business being an all star. There are 3 1B in the NL that have better numbers. Well, at least he put him at DH, which is the position he should be playing during the regular season. I could care less though...all star games are stupid

why the fuck is manuel starting moyer on thursday? he is such a dumb hick
    Post edited by The Fixer on

huh, didn't know that.

also, in real life the dude that plays dexter and the chick that plays his sister are married. not sure what he is thinking there...that chick is nasty looking

compelling and rich.

this post made me laugh...haha
    another dom brown article. glad amaro has ibanez locked up for next year.

The Phillies were reluctant to part with outfield prospect Domonic Brown in a deal for Roy Halladay at the trade deadline last year, and wound up getting Cliff Lee instead without having to part with Brown. (Of course, they eventually wound up with Halladay too, but that's a different story.)

Given the way Brown's offensive production has exploded this season, it's easy to see why the team was so hesitant to part with him. The 22-year-old outfielder hit .318 with 15 homers, 12 steals and a .993 OPS in 65 games at Double-A before being promoted recently. He hasn't missed a beat at Triple-A, hitting .364 with four homers in his first 15 games there.

Obviously he was one of the key players I wanted to see in person Sunday in the Futures Game; I wanted to see how much he had developed since I saw him extensively during the 2009 Arizona Fall League. At that time, his tools, athleticism and raw ability were obvious, yet so was the fact at times he looked a little awkward and uncoordinated both at the plate and in the field, partially because Brown wasn't a full-time baseball player until he turned pro in 2006. It wasn't difficult to project him eventually turning those tools into better baseball skills and smoothing out the rough edges in his game in order to become an impact player. It was just a question of when. Let me put it this way: This wasn't a Reggie Abercrombie/Charlton Jimerson type, a talent with immense tools who just wouldn't be able to hit.

So what has changed since last season? Well, the first thing is just growing into his body, continuing to fill out his lanky 6-foot-5 frame, as Keith Law alluded to in his Futures Game recap. Brown has told me in the past that he is trying to gain pounds and strength yet not get too big and lose his speed. He even discussed his regimen of waking up early in the morning after a night game just to eat a meal before going back to bed, in order to help him maintain his weight. Well, whatever he has been doing is working.

While observing the game, Keith and I also agreed that he has much better body control, and a lot of the awkwardness is no longer evident. He stays back better while hitting in order to get more consistent leverage in his swing. Before, he used to drift forward a little too much, which made it more difficult for him to hit off-speed pitches. But as I mentioned in an AFL blog, that was a correctable issue, and he has made good strides in that regard. I also think he's a little more upright with his stance, which is helping him get a little more juice in his stroke. There's good bat speed, his bat stays in the zone longer and he turns on mistake pitches. Brown has the pitch recognition and plate discipline to allow him to hit for average, as well. I still think his swing gets a little too big at times, but again, there has been improvement there, too.

As a base stealer, Brown is still developing; he has 14 steals this season with just a 66 percent success rate, after going 23-for-33 last season. He's succeeding just on raw speed at this point, and still needs to learn the nuances of reading pitches and getting good jumps. Even though he's a big guy, Brown can be a consistent 20-steal threat in the big leagues with a little more refinement. Put that with his batting average/power combo and he becomes an enticing package for fantasy owners.

At the beginning of the season, I thought Brown was another year away in his development, but one thing I have learned in the development of "toolsy" players is that great athletes such as Brown, who originally planned on going to the University of Miami on a football scholarship before signing with the Phillies, can progress and mature very quickly. That's what has happened here. He's progressing more quickly than many scouts expected.

Brown departed the Futures Game early due to minor tightness in his right hamstring, but all indications are that it was just a precautionary measure, and he is expected to be right back in the lineup when his Triple-A club resumes play Thursday. A month ago, I wouldn't have pegged Brown for anything more than a September call-up, especially with general manager Ruben Amaro Jr. publicly stating the club was not going to promote Brown unless they were going to play him every day. But the kid's continued performance has made things interesting. Any kind of injury to one of the Phillies outfielders obviously would open up space, but Brown would be an upgrade to Raul Ibanez right now if given the shot, especially with Ibanez continuing to slug under .400 at age 38. There also have been reports the club is willing to at least listen to offers on free agent-to-be Jayson Werth if they can get someone (or multiple players) who could help them this season. That also would open up a spot for Brown. We'll just have to see how things play out over the next few weeks.

But suffice to say the difference in the Domonic Brown of 2010 versus the 2009 version is noticeable and significant, and he's ready to make an impact now if given the opportunity.
    The Fixer wrote:
    pjhawks wrote:

Manuel is a dumb ass...I agree there. Actually Howard has no business being an all star. There are 3 1B in the NL that have better numbers. Well, at least he put him at DH, which is the position he should be playing during the regular season. I could care less though...all star games are stupid

why the fuck is manuel starting moyer on thursday? he is such a dumb hick

stats stats stats same as blah blah blah
This discussion has been closed.