why do men have to be so feckin obvious?

Comments

• gue_bariumgue_barium Posts: 5,515
    Ahnimus wrote:
    The term masculist implies what?

It implies that the subject defends the rights of men "as a group".

A group? What characterizes this group?

Sports, beer, monster trucks, objectification of women?

Amongst the men that I know, including myself, none of us watch sports, drink heavely, care about monster trucks, objectify women or any other things that characterize men as a group. Does this mean that I am not a man?

Does the term feminism imply something different? Less gender-centric? Less bias? Less selfish?

What really seperates men from women into these distinct groups? Men have a Y chromosome and women do not? Testicles? Denser prefrontal cortices? Smaller amygdalas? More testosterone? Less estrogen? A history of societal reinforcement of aggressive and assertive behavior?

Where is the defining line that separates these groups? Is it purely anatomical? Is this reason to take a side? Rise against? Defend one over the other? To title a movement?

When will it end? When will we say "Two XX chromosomes and a slightly larger corpus collasum do not make a better parent." or "A Y chromosome and a gender history make people assholes, power-mongers."?

According to wikipedia, men can be feminists, could a man not represent a woman in politics? Or does it have to be equal representation? How do we equally represent everyone in a gender, ethnic group? Do we use prior annual censuses to determine how many seats each gender and ethnicity get?

Back in this 60s the term Feminism served it's purpose, but now that movement needs to die and be reborn under a more equal fight for all rights of all people.

Back in the 60's some men did become card-carrying feminists, but by then the message of feminism had become a dilute of mainstream media culture. Personally, I don't think men can honestly represent feminism in any way, shape or form. The idea of a "strong woman" in some, historically speaking, has been parlayed into all the social stigmas of negative stereotyping, etc., that we still hear today, and still is prevalent to some degree. Half the shit you hear deriding Hilary Clinton is along these lines. And it's the reason you get the political feminist sub-groups defending the gender in the fashion they do.
    On the higher road of all this, I think, of masculists and feminists, it exists to remind us of who we are, and not a whole lot more.
    Not that we don't need reminding from time to time.

all posts by ©gue_barium are protected under US copyright law and are not to be reproduced, exchanged or sold
    except by express written permission of ©gue_barium, the author.
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    Ahnimus wrote:
    See, the thing is, feminism implies "Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus" or that there should be or is a "battle of the sexes". I see it all the time on this board "men this" "men that". They are feminist stereotypes, some might pack a bit of truth, but it's hypocritical in so many ways. True equality does not come from blacks rising against whites, or women rising against men, it comes from all of us standing together.

the parts you highlighted from wikipedia didn't say anything like this.

oh yeah, bitches ain't shit!
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    the parts you highlighted from wikipedia didn't say anything like this.

thank goodness youve decided to grace us with your presence and sagacity conor. ;):D
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    thank goodness youve decided to grace us with your presence and sagacity conor. ;):D

i wish i could take credit for that golden nugget, but that particular piece of wisdom came courtesy of snoop dogg.

you might wanna warn the women of oz... i may study there next fall.
  • JeanieJeanie Posts: 9,446
    i wish i could take credit for that golden nugget, but that particular piece of wisdom came courtesy of snoop dogg.

OH CHRIST!!! :D I'm moving to New Zealand! ;)
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
  • fanch75fanch75 Posts: 3,734

It's "Bytchez ain't shyt!"
    Do you remember Rock & Roll Radio?
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003

women of oz dont need any warnings conor. we are very adept at thinking on our feet. but youre more than welcome to bring it on. :D
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    I went to one of the other offices there a few minutes ago and there were a group of guys standing outside and they all turned and looked at me walking the whole way, all looking me up and down and I felt really paranoid. I glared at them til they all looked away. I mean, I'm not even wearing a really low cut top today... but just felt so dirty.

So if you're a man... don't stare, it's fuckin RUDE! :mad:

lol, ok.
    Ahnimus wrote:
    Back in this 60s the term Feminism served it's purpose, but now that movement needs to die and be reborn under a more equal fight for all rights of all people.

That's right. Women need to stfu and get in the kitchen and start fryin up some meat for us men. And scrub those toilets, too! I expect everything shiney & clean when I get back, whatever time that is!

And I want a cold glass of fresh-filtered water and a sandwich awaiting my return!
  • iluvcatsiluvcats Posts: 5,153
    fanch75 wrote:
    That's right. Women need to stfu and get in the kitchen and start fryin up sme meat for us men. And scrub those toilets, too! I expect everything shiney & clean when I get back, whatever time that is!

And I want a cold glass of fresh-filtered water and a sandwich awaiting me!

and the wife needs to have your favorite music playing when you get home...

you are my kind of man, too bad I'm already married. :)
    9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
    8/08 - Ed solo in DC, 6/09 Ed in B'more,
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
    iluvcats wrote:
    and the wife needs to have your favorite music playing when you get home...

you are my kind of man, too bad I'm already married. :)

It's difficult, I know! :)

Hi L.
    fanch75 wrote:
    It's difficult, I know! :)

Hi L.

Hi.

Be glad I was nice to you b/c others will blast you tomorrow when they read your remarks. I know you were kidding. :)
    9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • prismprism Posts: 2,440
    fanch75 wrote:
    That's right. Women need to stfu and get in the kitchen and start fryin up some meat for us men. And scrub those toilets, too! I expect everything shiney & clean when I get back, whatever time that is!

And I want a cold glass of fresh-filtered water and a sandwich awaiting my return!

don't be surprise if that sammich is laced with cyanide
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    angels share laughter
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    women of oz dont need any warnings conor. we are very adept at thinking on our feet.

i've no use for that. i prefer my women moaning on their back or gagging on their knees. i'll be sure to teach the ladies of oz all about it.
    iluvcats wrote:
    Hi.

Be glad I was nice to you b/c others will blast you tomorrow when they read your remarks. I know you were kidding. :)

I hear you. I will be moving close to your hood soon. N. WVA
    fanch75 wrote:

p.s. I started using the crock pot now instead of frying.
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
    fanch75 wrote:

northern West VA? That's not close to me, don't know where you mean but Cumberland, MD is exactly 2 hours.
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
    Morgantown, WV. The home of burning couches! Very close to Cumberland. Pitt and Philly shows, here I come!
  • bayleafbayleaf Posts: 128
    gue_barium wrote:
    Personally, I don't think men can honestly represent feminism in any way, shape or form.

Really ? Remember, one of the first texts to argue for womens equality was writen by a guy, John Stuart Mill.......
    ~*~*~*~*~*OFFICIAL KIWI JAMMER No 6*~*~*~*~*~
    fanch75 wrote:
    Morgantown, WV. The home of burning couches! Very close to Cumberland. Pitt and Philly shows, here I come!

my brother in law and his wife live there. my husband graduated from wvu.
    my inlaws are still in wv.
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
    bayleaf wrote:
    Really ? Remember, one of the first texts to argue for womens equality was writen by a guy, John Stuart Mill.......

I don't think that's representative of feminism so much as it is a case for human rights.

all posts by ©gue_barium are protected under US copyright law and are not to be reproduced, exchanged or sold
    iluvcats wrote:
    my brother in law and his wife live there. my husband graduated from wvu.
    my inlaws are still in wv.

what do they think of Mtown? It's a fun place
  • JeanieJeanie Posts: 9,446
    i've no use for that. i prefer my women moaning on their back or gagging on their knees. i'll be sure to teach the ladies of oz all about it.

:D I do that when I read your posts now! :D hahahaha!
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
    fanch75 wrote:
    what do they think of Mtown? It's a fun place

yep. I don't really talk to my brother in law and his new wife, don't see them very often.

wvu is always in the top list of party schools, but you are rapidly approaching 40 so I think you are passed that. ;)

and btw, philly and pitt are the only cities I traveled to besides reading to see PJ. (oh and when we saw pj in pittsburgh in 2006, ed said they were tearing down mellon arena, such a shame, that was one of my favorite pj concerts!)
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
    Jeanie wrote:
    Hahaha!

• TrixieCatTrixieCat Posts: 5,756
    Jeanie wrote:
    There was some very funny stuff here last night.
    That was very very funny.

When I read about Snoop inventing bitches ain't shit, I was thinking...no, that was fanch from the chinese restaurant story. (I still crack up when I think about that.)
    Cause I'm broken when I'm lonesome
    And I don't feel right when you're gone away
  • jamie ukjamie uk Posts: 3,812
    bayleaf wrote:

Wow, it was actually done on a mobile phone! I didn't realise.
    I came, I saw, I concurred.....
  • TrixieCatTrixieCat Posts: 5,756
    jamie uk wrote:
    :p
    When I first read it I was thinking, You folks are so hot about this that you are texting one another about it?? lol
    Ahnimus, there will never be equal representation during my lifetime..I can almost promise that. We are fighting tooth and nail to get the democratic nomination. And even if we get it, I can guarantee you some people, many of them women, will either not vote or vote republican or for minnie mouse.
    Because believe it or not, some women are only not feminists, that actually loathe the idea.
    Cause I'm broken when I'm lonesome
    And I don't feel right when you're gone away
    jamie uk wrote:

Sure, in 1869, everyone had a cell phone.
    http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/mill/#StaWom
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
    fanch75 wrote:

ok fancharoo, I did the city to city driving directions and you will be about 180 miles from me, so I don't think I'll invite you over for Sunday's roast beef and mashed potatoes with gravy.
    10/10 - Brad in B'more