why do men have to be so feckin obvious?

Comments

• TrixieCatTrixieCat Posts: 5,756
    yes, so many things need to be saved for the proper time and place.
    Like?
    :)

Ahnimus, feminism is a disjointed, dysfunctional group, at best. We are like the democrats in that we are struggling to find someone to lead us and yet the party is so spread out on all of the 'important' issues, we can't get it together.
    I always will fight for the underdog...always.
    And as a woman, I often find myself as the underdog. Am I very fortunate to be a white female born in America that took advantage of her educational offerings?? Yes, I am . I think everyone should be offered that.
    Cause I'm broken when I'm lonesome
    And I don't feel right when you're gone away
  • TrixieCat wrote:

Am I very fortunate to be a white female born in America that took advantage of her educational offerings?? Yes, I am . I think everyone should be offered that.

True. But you obviously don't have to suffer English 'Ladettes'. Apparently, post feminism.

Some girls take the feminism thing for granted and act like jerks.
    True. But you obviously don't have to suffer English 'Ladettes'. Apparently, post feminism.

Some girls take the feminism thing for granted and act like jerks.
    Yes, I realize that. There are jerks everywhere.
    Ready to beat you down. That is their own shortcoming MCKB...not yours.
  • AhnimusAhnimus Posts: 10,560
    TrixieCat wrote:
    Like?

Ahnimus, feminism is a disjointed, dysfunctional group, at best. We are like the democrats in that we are struggling to find someone to lead us and yet the party is so spread out on all of the 'important' issues, we can't get it together.
    I always will fight for the underdog...always.
    And as a woman, I often find myself as the underdog. Am I very fortunate to be a white female born in America that took advantage of her educational offerings?? Yes, I am . I think everyone should be offered that.

Are you sure that isn't an observer bias?

Cause, when I go to the welfare office they tell me "You are a white male, you should have no problems, welfare is only really here for women and minorities." or something to that effect. Likewise, when my friend's wife assaulted him, he was the one sitting in anger management therapy after court. How am I to fare in a child custody battle? I could afford car insurance if I had two X chromosomes, since I have a Y chromosome, insurance is 25% more.

So, perhaps this feeling of being the underdog is the feeling you get no matter what your sex, or race or place in society is.
    I necessarily have the passion for writing this, and you have the passion for condemning me; both of us are equally fools, equally the toys of destiny. Your nature is to do harm, mine is to love truth, and to make it public in spite of you. - Voltaire
  • Ahnimus wrote:

Cause, when I go to the welfare office they tell me "You are a white male, you should have no problems, welfare is only really here for women and minorities." or something to that effect. Likewise, when my friend's wife assaulted him, he was the one sitting in anger management therapy after court. How am I to fare in a child custody battle? I could afford car insurance if I had two X chromosomes, since I have a Y chromosome, insurance is 25% more.

So, perhaps this feeling of being the underdog is the feeling you get no matter what your sex, or race or place in society is.

You're very bitter.

I will ask you one question. When a woman says she likes to have a lot of sex, do you think she's a slag? (Maybe not you personally but how many men do you know that would think that)? It's okay for a man to say it.

I still don't think all women are respected equally.

I understand what you mean though.

(Poor Helen,, this was supposed to be a light hearted thread). :o
    You're very bitter.

I will ask you one question. When a woman says she likes to have a lot of sex, do you think she's a slag? (Maybe not you personally but how many men do you know that would think that)? It's okay for a man to say it.

I still don't think all women are respected equally.

I understand what you mean though.

(Poor Helen,, this was supposed to be a light hearted thread). :o

When I was a teenager, I was disgusted by men/boys and their attitudes about sex, but now I see that women are really no different. (A) they are all sluts or (B) it's just human nature. 5% - 10% of all children are the result of extra-marital affairs. If a woman tells me she likes sex, I'd like her even more. I've been with enough women that didn't really enjoy it, it's boring.
    I necessarily have the passion for writing this, and you have the passion for condemning me; both of us are equally fools, equally the toys of destiny. Your nature is to do harm, mine is to love truth, and to make it public in spite of you. - Voltaire
    Ahnimus wrote:

Are you seriously trying to tell me that you are paying more car insurance simply because you are a male??? Really??? Then why is my sister in law being paid less to do the same job her male counterpart is doing????
    See???
    It is unequal everywhere you look. I do NOT bode well in situations where people will not take responsibility for themselves. So please don't cry me a river about your woes. I am sorry, truly, that you are/may be going through some rough times. But lets see the statistics. White men vs women and minorities on welfare and WIC.
  • TrixieCat wrote:
    Are you seriously trying to tell me that you are paying more car insurance simply because you are a male??? Really??? Then why is my sister in law being paid less to do the same job her male counterpart is doing????
    See???
    It is unequal everywhere you look. I do NOT bode well in situations where people will not take responsibility for themselves. So please don't cry me a river about your woes. I am sorry, truly, that you are/may be going through some rough times. But lets see the statistics. White men vs women and minorities on welfare and WIC.

:eek:

:D
    growwwl!
    TrixieCat wrote:
    See???

My point exactly. If I say "There is an inequality here" you say "please don't cry me a river about your woes". Feminism at it's worst. On the other hand if I said "There is an inequality here" and it was women that were getting screwed you'd be all over that shit with your unwavering support.

Quite the request by the way, the best I could find for statistics is this:

The baseline probabilities reflect the general differences in SA rates by family type. The lowest rates are
    for couples (7-10 percent), especially those without children (5.3 for women and 7.1 for men), singles
    come next (16.7 and 10.7 percent for men and women, respectively), while lone-parents have the
    highest rates (50.4 percent in the case of lone-mothers, 27.4 percent for lone-fathers). These values are
    less than the related economy-wide averages principally because of the particular baseline
    characteristics they represent, as noted above, but provide a good basis for looking at the differences
    associated with each of the variables included in the models.14

The EI generosity index, whose effects were not predictable a priori, are in fact mixed. They are
    positive for couples, both with and without children, suggesting that lower EI generosity has reduced SA
    participation rates for such individuals. This is consistent with the “gateway” hypothesis, whereby
    individuals are less likely to enter an EI–SA cycle when EI generosity is diminished. For single mothers,
    however, the coefficient estimates are negative, suggesting that EI and SA tend to be substitutes. For
    unattached individuals, the results are negative for men, positive for women; but while the effects are
    statistically significant, they are generally not very strong.

http://www.statcan.ca/english/research/11F0019MIE/11F0019MIE2004231.pdf

It might appear negative for men because they can't actually get SA most of the time. EI is one thing, but welfare is a different story, I've been down to the Ontario Works office and had them tell me to my face "You should have a rich uncle." I do but he won't give me a dime. A co-worker of mine ran into the same problem.
  • Ahnimus wrote:
    My point exactly. If I say "There is an inequality here" you say "please don't cry me a river about your woes". Feminism at it's worst. On the other hand if I said "There is an inequality here" and it was women that were getting screwed you'd be all over that shit with your unwavering support.

The baseline probabilities reflect the general differences in SA rates by family type. The lowest rates are
    for couples (7-10 percent), especially those without children (5.3 for women and 7.1 for men), singles
    come next (16.7 and 10.7 percent for men and women, respectively), while lone-parents have the
    highest rates (50.4 percent in the case of lone-mothers, 27.4 percent for lone-fathers). These values are
    less than the related economy-wide averages principally because of the particular baseline
    characteristics they represent, as noted above, but provide a good basis for looking at the differences

The EI generosity index, whose effects were not predictable a priori, are in fact mixed. They are
    positive for couples, both with and without children, suggesting that lower EI generosity has reduced SA
    participation rates for such individuals. This is consistent with the “gateway” hypothesis, whereby
    individuals are less likely to enter an EI–SA cycle when EI generosity is diminished. For single mothers,
    however, the coefficient estimates are negative, suggesting that EI and SA tend to be substitutes. For
    unattached individuals, the results are negative for men, positive for women; but while the effects are

It might appear negative for men because they can't actually get SA most of the time. EI is one thing, but welfare is a different story, I've been down to the Ontario Works office and had them tell me to my face "You should have a rich uncle." I do but he won't give me a dime. A co-worker of mine ran into the same problem.

87.33% of statistics is bollocks. ;)
  • jamie ukjamie uk Posts: 3,812
    87.33% of statistics is bollocks. ;)
    Amen to that stat bro,...have a beer.....
    I came, I saw, I concurred.....
  • jamie uk wrote:
    Amen to that stat bro,...have a beer.....

I've had twelve. Are you trying to kill me? Oh, wait, there's plenty more.

:D
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    TrixieCat wrote:
    Like?

making reference to someone knowing theyre going to read what you said and thinking youre clever by thinking youre doing it in a subtle way. or perhaps doing it not so subtly and not giving a toss. :)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    making reference to someone knowing theyre going to read what you said and thinking youre clever by thinking youre doing it in a subtle way. or perhaps doing it not so subtly and not giving a toss. :)
    I had to read back a bit further to see what you may have been inferring..
    If you are thinking or inferring that I called you an obstinate cow, then you are wrong. If you are that curious, pm me and i will give you the name of the person I was talking to in Private.
    TrixieCat wrote:
    I had to read back a bit further to see what you may have been inferring..
    If you are thinking or inferring that I called you an obstinate cow, then you are wrong. If you are that curious, pm me and i will give you the name of the person I was talking to in Private.

i know you werent talking about me trix. how could you be? we havent had enough interaction for you to form such an opinion about me. :)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    i know you werent talking about me trix. how could you be? we havent had enough interaction for you to form such an opinion about me. :)
    Then leave it alone already.
    sheesh.
    TrixieCat wrote:
    Then leave it alone already.
    sheesh.

i was simply making an observation on what i saw as a graceless act..
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    i was simply making an observation.
    And being passive aggresive.
    If you have something to say, then please pm me.
    You "observed" something and then passive aggressively alluded to it.
    TrixieCat wrote:
    And being passive aggresive.
    If you have something to say, then please pm me.
    You "observed" something and then passive aggressively alluded to it.

lmfao!!! am i picking on you trix, is that the problem here?
    i dont even know the meaning of passive agressive, but if you want me to say the way you conduct yourself at times pisses me off, then so be it. i dont think its cute and right now i dont give a shit. i made a simple observation and you go jumping on your high horse as if your pure as the driven snow. you seemed to know what i was alluding to so why didnt you pm me for clarification?
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    lmfao!!! am i picking on you trix, is that the problem here?
    i dont even know the meaning of passive agressive, but if you want me to say the way you conduct yourself at times pisses me off, then so be it. i dont think its cute and right now i dont give a shit. i made a simple observation and you go jumping on your high horse as if your pure as the driven snow. you seemed to know what i was alluding to so why didnt you pm me for clarification?
    Wow.
    I will leave it at that.
    :(
  • ajedigecko wrote:
    if i was a "hot chick" and many guys were dominating me with their eyes........i would cough up a huge luggie and spit it over my shoulder and then look at them and run my tongue over my lips.
    There are probably some guys out there who are into that sort of thing, and girls, for that matter.
    genie wrote:
    wow, that's a cool word!!
    It's one of my favourites.
    No time to be void or save up on life. You got to spend it all.
    Ahnimus wrote:

Ahnimus, I will be honest and say that I couldn't understand your statistics. My saying don't cry me a river has nothing to do with feminism, but the fact that I have seen so many people, my sister in law included, pull themselves out of a shithole and so can you. I don't care what color or sex you are, if you are being treated unfairly, that stinks.
    (Because this internet can really suck at relaying emotion, I would like to say that I am sympathetic and not judging you.) (And sometimes adding that stupid yellow smiley face doesn't cut it)
    I hope that you are able to sort out your situation. I also hope that you can speak to someone further up than the caseworker that seemed to write off your situation.
    TrixieCat wrote:
    Ahnimus, I will be honest and say that I couldn't understand your statistics. My saying don't cry me a river has nothing to do with feminism, but the fact that I have seen so many people, my sister in law included, pull themselves out of a shithole and so can you. I don't care what color or sex you are, if you are being treated unfairly, that stinks.
    (Because this internet can really suck at relaying emotion, I would like to say that I am sympathetic and not judging you.) (And sometimes adding that stupid yellow smiley face doesn't cut it)
    I hope that you are able to sort out your situation. I also hope that you can speak to someone further up than the caseworker that seemed to write off your situation.

I'm fine, I make $30,000/year and live decently.

But, two years ago, I was having some issues at a job. I was being harassed by my supervisor (female) because I had sex with her friend instead of her. One night at my place 6 of us were drunk, she tried to get me to facilitate her extra-marital desires and I declined. But I had the hots for her younger, more attractive friend. When I start dating her I ran into problems with the supervisor at work. I went up the ladder, to her manager, who dismissed my claims, then I went to HR, who also dismissed my claims. Finally I was escorted out of the buildling and given a slip that read "Voluntary Resignation". I lived in a town of 24,000 and couldn't find a decent job so I moved to a city of 300,000, but I was broke and needed food, ontario works wouldn't help me because I'm a man.

The whole time I knew that if I was a woman things would be a lot different. The girl I was dating was "Voluntarily Resigned" as well, she moved with me to London, welfare gave her $500 and billed me for $250 of it a few months later. If I was a woman or a minority, my problems at work would have been addressed by human resources and ontario works would have considered my application. I'm in a good position now, but I know there are men that aren't, and it this stupid fucking paradigm that men are some how more capable of succeeding at life that is bullshit. Since women's liberation our entire societies have been restructured to make everything easier for women. We all have hurdles that we need to overcome, but the way some things are now is the opposite of equal, it's unfair. So forgive me for having a beef with feminism.
    Of course entire societies have been restructured! Were women supposed to continue to enter a restaurant through a seperate entrance and not vote??
    C'mon, you are more intelligent than that. Easier? I would love to hear what you think about affirmative action...or maybe not.
    I am glad to hear that you are back on your feet.
    However, I think your initial issues had far more to do with "hell hath no fury than a woman scorned" than feminism. You slept with your supervisor's friend when the supervisor wanted you? What are we going to do with you A? ;)
    Office politics are tricky and your supervisor should have known better. She was clearly taking advantage of you. And that is wrong.
  • hippiemomhippiemom Posts: 3,326
    Ahnimus wrote:
    We all have hurdles that we need to overcome, but the way some things are now is the opposite of equal, it's unfair. So forgive me for having a beef with feminism.
    No true feminist would support such a blatantly unequal policy. You may find some woman who calls herself a feminist supporting it, but that doesn't mean a thing. I can call myself Minnie Mouse, it doesn't make it so.

If that is indeed how Ontario social services work, that sucks. I don't blame you for being pissed, and it ought to be changed. But it is definitely NOT a "feminist" system.
    "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." ~ MLK, 1963
    hippiemom wrote:
    No true feminist would support such a blatantly unequal policy. You may find some woman who calls herself a feminist supporting it, but that doesn't mean a thing. I can call myself Minnie Mouse, it doesn't make it so.

If that is indeed how Ontario social services work, that sucks. I don't blame you for being pissed, and it ought to be changed. But it is definitely NOT a "feminist" system.
    lol...Minnie Mouse...

This is one of the huge issues with calling yourself a feminist. It is such a misunderstood term and so many sub categories have sprung up...how is any outsider supposed to understand what a feminist really believes in?
    Wikipedia defining Feminism

One of the difficulties in defining and circumscribing a complex and heterogeneous concept such as feminism[102][103] is the extent to which women have rejected the term from a variety of semantic and political standpoints. Many women engaged in activities intimately grounded in feminism have not considered themselves feminists. Likewise, it is assumed that only women can be feminists. However, feminism is not grounded in the basis of one's gender, but in rejecting and refuting sexist oppression politically, socially, privately, linguistically, and otherwise. (Though there are people — both men and women — who claim feminism itself can be biased in its approach to gender relations.) Redefining feminism in this way illustrates and reflects today's reality of both men and women openly supporting feminism and also openly adhering to sexist ideals.[104] From a political vantage, the term "feminism" has been rejected both because of fears of labeling, and because of its innate ability to attract broad misogyny.[105] Historically Virginia Woolf was one of the more prominent women to reject the term[106] early in its history in 1938, although it would be easy to overstate Woolf's position,[107] considering that she is regarded as an icon of feminism.[108] However Betty Friedan would revisit this concern in 1981 in The Second Stage. Nevertheless, defining ideas does not necessarily imply tagging the individual. Ann Taylor,[109] for instance, offers the following definition of a feminist, after Karen Offen:[110] Any person who recognizes "the validity of women's own interpretation of their lived experiences and needs," protests against the institutionalized injustice perpetrated by men as a group against women as a group, and advocates the elimination of that injustice by challenging the various structures of authority or power that legitimate male prerogatives in a given society. Another way of expressing this concept is that a primary goal is to correct androcentric bias.[111]

Other attempts at defining feminism have been made by the United Nations.[112] However, one of feminism's unique characteristics, strengths and weaknesses is its persistent defiance of being constrained by definition. Charlotte Witt observes that this reflects the "contested nature of the "us" of contemporary feminism ... and is a part of, on-going debates within feminism over its identity and self-image ... in the final analysis, the result of debate within feminist philosophy over what feminism is, and what its theoretical commitments should be, and what its core values are."[113] This is the subject of one of the more lively debates in feminism, that which Nannerl Keohane has called the "perpetual oscillation between essentialism and nominalism (constructionism) in feminist theory."[114] Briefly, "to essentialise is to reduce a complex idea or object to simplistic characteristics, thereby denying diversity, multiple meanings and alternative interpretations" in the words of Joan Marler, an opponent of essentialism in feminism.[115]

In recent times some women and men have distanced from the term "femin"ism in favor of more inclusive terminology such as "equal rights activist/advocate", "equalist" or similar non-gendered phrasings.[116][117]

Egalitarian individualism

Egalitarian Individualism is an idea espoused most by the stoics. It is the philosophy that each human being is equally worthy of human rights despite one's nation, ethnic group, or gender. This view also forms the basis of much of the eighteenth century philosopher Immanuel Kant's work. Kant states that human beings are equally due the right to be treated morally and ethically. Global regimes and humanitarian aid organizations all function off the idea that individuals, no matter what country or nation they are a part of, deserve to have human rights, and the protection of those human rights. All of these global regimes are heavily affected by the philosophy of Egalitarian Individualism.

Gender Equality

Some equalists believe that certain feminists have abandoned notions of equality, and instead focus only on females' rights to the point of excluding/promoting the subjugation of the rights of other sexes/genders. Equalists seek to promote the rights of females, males, and everything in between.

Gender equity, gender equality, sexual equality, or gender egalitarianism is the belief in the equality of the gender or the sexes. Many followers of this philosophy would like to see this term come to replace feminism or masculism, when used to describe a belief in basic equal rights and opportunities for members of both sexes within legal, social, or corporate establishments. They strive for ultimate fairness, and seek cooperative solutions so as to make things better for both males, females and everything in between. They are opposed both to misogyny and misandry, pointing to a gender transformative perspective and the need for a rejection of all forms of gender oppression and stereotypes. They are also equally opposed to sexism.

While they may share a number of critiques and analyses with self-described feminists and/or masculists, they feel that egalitarianism is the best word to describe a belief in equality without implying a phenomenological focus on any particular gendered experience.
    See, the thing is, feminism implies "Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus" or that there should be or is a "battle of the sexes". I see it all the time on this board "men this" "men that". They are feminist stereotypes, some might pack a bit of truth, but it's hypocritical in so many ways. True equality does not come from blacks rising against whites, or women rising against men, it comes from all of us standing together.
    Ahnimus, I really appreciate what you are saying, but remember that wikipedia is written by the masses...I can write that the sky is green if I wanted.
    And yes equality comes from us all rising together but you are only seeing one side here. Please don't think that only women on here are saying men this and men that. You have missed a number of threads talking about how much women suck. Usually because Cory will chime in and get it closed. lol ;)
    I think you are focusing on way too many things here. Men Are From Mars?? Never read it. I don't like books that capitalize of bucketizing and generalizing. Also never read He Just Not Into You.
    TrixieCat wrote:
    Ahnimus, I really appreciate what you are saying, but remember that wikipedia is written by the masses...I can write that the sky is green if I wanted.
    And yes equality comes from us all rising together but you are only seeing one side here. Please don't think that only women on here are saying men this and men that. You have missed a number of threads talking about how much women suck. Usually because Cory will chime in and get it closed. lol ;)
    I think you are focusing on way too many things here. Men Are From Mars?? Never read it. I don't like books that capitalize of bucketizing and generalizing. Also never read He Just Not Into You.

The term masculist implies what?

It implies that the subject defends the rights of men "as a group".

A group? What characterizes this group?

Sports, beer, monster trucks, objectification of women?

Amongst the men that I know, including myself, none of us watch sports, drink heavely, care about monster trucks, objectify women or any other things that characterize men as a group. Does this mean that I am not a man?

Does the term feminism imply something different? Less gender-centric? Less bias? Less selfish?

What really seperates men from women into these distinct groups? Men have a Y chromosome and women do not? Testicles? Denser prefrontal cortices? Smaller amygdalas? More testosterone? Less estrogen? A history of societal reinforcement of aggressive and assertive behavior?

Where is the defining line that separates these groups? Is it purely anatomical? Is this reason to take a side? Rise against? Defend one over the other? To title a movement?

When will it end? When will we say "Two XX chromosomes and a slightly larger corpus collasum do not make a better parent." or "A Y chromosome and a gender history make people assholes, power-mongers."?

According to wikipedia, men can be feminists, could a man not represent a woman in politics? Or does it have to be equal representation? How do we equally represent everyone in a gender, ethnic group? Do we use prior annual censuses to determine how many seats each gender and ethnicity get?

Back in this 60s the term Feminism served it's purpose, but now that movement needs to die and be reborn under a more equal fight for all rights of all people.