PJ Girlies let's talk beauty tips!

Comments

• JeanieJeanie Posts: 9,446
    Ola Ladies..

Loving this thread... so good to hear some Aussie Shops getting a reference :p

Cant think of any interesting tips to tell you...

Always Moisturise... never forget your neck!
    Always take your make up off before bed... although i didnt for a while, but I know how much better my skin is the next day if its clean when I wake up.
    Conditioner for shaving legs is always a nice easy one... and it doesnt have to be expensive conditioner.

anyone got a rememdy for bubbly butt syndrome?? ;) mine just keeps getting worse the older I get!! :D

yeah sorry tig, got nothing that'd help with the bubbly butt. Figure it's behind me though so I don't worry about it so much coz I can't see it! ;):D
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
    SENROCK! wrote:
    wheres the guys hygeine thread thing??? that was a good freakin HILARIOUS thread!!! bringit back somebody!!!! and um....M.A.C rules. Thats all.....

Thar ya go! ;):D

http://forums.pearljam.com/showthread.php?p=4761410#post4761410
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
  • Some of these ideas are great

Any suggestions for the best skin cleaner, something that will clear my skin really fast? Besides that expensive stuff like proactive.
    Vancouver 09/02/05, so far so good
    Some of these ideas are great

Any suggestions for the best skin cleaner, something that will clear my skin really fast? Besides that expensive stuff like proactive.

I'm a big fan of clinique's beauty soap. It's part of their three step skin care range. And I also like Neutrogena facial soap for a cheaper option. Wash with them morning and night. Don't know how they'd go at clearing skin fast though leavin' coz I use them all the time. :)
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
  • TrixieCatTrixieCat Posts: 5,756

Try to find something that isn't that aggresive like Cetaphil.
    And use an oil free moisturizer if you can.
    Some of my younger clients love a line from Neutrogena...can't remember the name...sorry. But they swear by it for problem skin.
    Cause I'm broken when I'm lonesome
    And I don't feel right when you're gone away
  • Jeanie wrote:
    And the last time I used that Nair shit, I chemically burned my underarms so bad I was in agony for weeks! So I think I could cope with waxing the pits! :eek: :)
    I used that hair removal shit on my legs ONCE.. never again! It burned sooooo much... and I could actually smell burning flesh after a couple of minutes :eek: So just took it off.

I'm not one to go through pain in the name of 'beauty'. I tried a sunbed ONCE and after two minutes I switched it off cos I'd so many thoughts going through my head about how I was possibly killing myself in the name of vanity... fuck that. I've never been one for make-up either :o maybe twice a year for Christmas parties and such big occasions, but that's about it.
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Verona??? it's all surmountable
    Dublin 23.08.06 "The beauty of Ireland, right there!"
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Copenhagen?? your light made us stars
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Had I not found this love with you
    I used that hair removal shit on my legs ONCE.. never again! It burned sooooo much... and I could actually smell burning flesh after a couple of minutes :eek: So just took it off.

I'm not one to go through pain in the name of 'beauty'. I tried a sunbed ONCE and after two minutes I switched it off cos I'd so many thoughts going through my head about how I was possibly killing myself in the name of vanity... fuck that. I've never been one for make-up either :o maybe twice a year for Christmas parties and such big occasions, but that's about it.

Yeah, I've used it on my legs too Hels, and it wasn't great, but this stuff is Nair Precision Mousse Hair Remover with moisturizing baby oil, vitamin E and Aloe Vera. It's supposed to be for sensitive skin!!!! I reckon they put battery acid in it or something! Because same as you, I could smell the skin burning and even though I rinsed and rinsed and rinsed to get it off it still burned my armpits! :eek: Vile stuff!

I've never been one for sunbeds, I know just how dangerous they can be! Fair skin and freckles is the life for me! Although I don't mind a little fake tanning from time to time. The Ambre Solaire spray on stuff is pretty good, as is the Loreal Sublime Bronze if you just want a little bit of color and I've got friends that swear by Johnson's Holiday Skin Body Lotion that moisturizes and gradually builds a light tan.

I'm not so much with the make up anymore either, although I did do my "face" twice this week, once for the birthday and once for a funeral. It'll probably be a while before I get all "made up" again though! :) Can't be bothered! :D
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
  • Jeanie wrote:
    Yeah, I've used it on my legs too Hels, and it wasn't great, but this stuff is Nair Precision Mousse Hair Remover with moisturizing baby oil, vitamin E and Aloe Vera. It's supposed to be for sensitive skin!!!! I reckon they put battery acid in it or something! Because same as you, I could smell the skin burning and even though I rinsed and rinsed and rinsed to get it off it still burned my armpits! :eek: Vile stuff!

I've never been one for sunbeds, I know just how dangerous they can be! Fair skin and freckles is the life for me! Although I don't mind a little fake tanning from time to time. The Ambre Solaire spray on stuff is pretty good, as is the Loreal Sublime Bronze if you just want a little bit of color and I've got friends that swear by Johnson's Holiday Skin Body Lotion that moisturizes and gradually builds a light tan.

I'm not so much with the make up anymore either, although I did do my "face" twice this week, once for the birthday and once for a funeral. It'll probably be a while before I get all "made up" again though! :) Can't be bothered! :D

well I've never been one for any kinda fake tan... it's like cheating :D but I did use sally hensens leg one for the christmas party and that was EXCELLENT... no streaks at all and you can see what you're doing and it was very natural. I don't like the Johnsons one... I found it came out streaky and quite obvious looking.

I've been burned before which was why I just felt stupid in the sunbed and thought 'what the fuck am I doing to myself?'
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • lgtlgt Posts: 720

In terms of cleanser, I will always been advised to use cheap ones (never soap though!) and focus on moisturising and exfoliating, and spend instead more on these products. This served me well as I have delicate fair skin.

Oh and also, facials! These are essential, especially in order to get a deep cleansing of the skin, eliminating all the impurities (living in a heavily polluted city wrecks havoc!).

In terms of products, UK-based, I just use the Simple skincare range (cleansing milk for just over £2), although some of my friends swear by the Eve Lom cleanser with muslin cloth (pricey for over £40, but apparently lasts a long time).

Moisturising and exfoliators, it depends - a like to try out different things... i'm a make-up and cosmetics junkie!

From Lancome, Clinique, Kiehl's, Korres (it is a brand from Greece based on natural ingridients - yummy, effective, and cheap), to Body Shop and Lush.

And yay for Mac make-up from me too!

Oh I also love the Benefit bad girl eyeliner... a chunky pencil that's very effective.

For mascara, I alternate between Lancome and Maybelline.

Ok, enough for now! :D

Great thread, btw! :D:)
  • lgt wrote:
    In terms of products, UK-based, I just use the Simple skincare range (cleansing milk for just over £2), although some of my friends swear by the Eve Lom cleanser with muslin cloth (pricey for over £40, but apparently lasts a long time).

Moisturising and exfoliators, it depends - a like to try out different things... i'm a make-up and cosmetics junkie!
    I love the simple facial cleansing wipes. That's all I'll use. And nivea oil free moisturiser... I really like that one.
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    I love the simple facial cleansing wipes. That's all I'll use. And nivea oil free moisturiser... I really like that one.

Oh, I missed this! I also use the Nivea Q10 moisturisers - apparently, it's an effective anti-oxidant, but in any case it is a good cream, though best in winter as it is quite heavy.

Also, I've recently tried out the Boots own skincare regime, after watching a beauty products programme on the BBC a few months ago.

I have tried their beauty serum (to apply before moisturising day and night) and I quite like it [getting into all the anti-aging/anti-wrinkly stuff... the earlier you tackle it, the better, I figure!!! :D ]

ETA: Other moisturisers I used are from RoC, a French brand, with contains very small amount of Retinol - quite good, so it's part of my stockpile! :)
  • lgt wrote:
    Oh, I missed this! I also use the Nivea Q10 moisturisers - apparently, it's an effective anti-oxidant, but in any case it is a good cream, though best in winter as it is quite heavy.

Also, I've recently tried out the Boots own skincare regime, after watching a beauty products programme on the BBC a few months ago.

I have tried their beauty serum (to apply before moisturising day and night) and I quite like it [getting into all the anti-aging/anti-wrinkly stuff... the earlier you tackle it, the better, I figure!!! :D ]

ETA: Other moisturisers I used are from RoC, a French brand, with contains very small amount of Retinol - quite good, so it's part of my stockpile! :)
    :eek: wow, lol... I'm so basic, serum BEFORE you moisturise? So that's what... cleanse, tone, serum, moisturise, apres moisturise? I just wipe and moisturise whenever my skin starts to feel dry only. I figured my skin never used to get dry before I started using that shit so I keep it to a minimum. Oh and blistex intensive moisturiser :) I love it sooooooo much... but then my lips never used to get dry before I started giving them some loving either :(
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    :eek: wow, lol... I'm so basic, serum BEFORE you moisturise? So that's what... cleanse, tone, serum, moisturise, apres moisturise? I just wipe and moisturise whenever my skin starts to feel dry only. I figured my skin never used to get dry before I started using that shit so I keep it to a minimum. Oh and blistex intensive moisturiser :) I love it sooooooo much... but then my lips never used to get dry before I started giving them some loving either :(

Ah, Helen - don't get me started on grooming!

There's no need for toning (just exfoliating one a week, or washing your face off with a sponge/muslin cloth is enough to thoroughly clean) - so you can skip that step!

The serum is - I believe - a new step in the grooming process, like using a primer (or base) before applying foundation. It only goes before the moisturiser, both first thing in the morning and last thing at night (therefore before the night cream).

It's meant to give extra protection to your skin layers due to its anti-oxidant content and reduce pores... I like trying anything new, and it leaves my skin very nice and soft. So, so far so good - though, whether my skin is really more protected and with less pores it is totally up to my willingness to be taken in by the hype!

Moisturise you should always, though. Morning and night. Oh, and eye cream too, but then i'm getting old, so i'm taking precautions! :D

ARGH!!!! smiley limit!!! GRRRR
  • lgt wrote:
    There's no need for toning (just exfoliating one a week, or cleaning your face off with a sponge/muslin cloth is enough to thoroughly clean) - so you can skip that step!

:eek: Shit, I forgot exfoliate! :D
    lgt wrote:
    The serum is - I believe - a new step in the grooming process, like using a primer (or base) before applying foundation. It only goes before the moisturiser, both first thing in the morning and last thing at night (therefore before the night cream).
    A new step? :confused: how did womens faces survive for so long until these wonderful helpful beauty companies with, of course, our best interest at heart, come up with this stuff? :o
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life

A new step? :confused: how did womens faces survive for so long until these wonderful helpful beauty companies with, of course, our best interest at heart, come up with this stuff? :o

hehehe, the power of marketing! :D
  • lgt wrote:
    hehehe, the power of marketing! :D
    :D but they're all designed that once you start using them, you can't cope without them.
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    This is mainly a southern European/mediterranean custom, I find, and it works great particularly if you have stubborn curly hair, which is drier and coarser than straight hair.

Pour just a drop of sweet almond oil in your hands then rub them together and apply to hair, especially the ends.

Alternatively, for an intensive conditioning treatment, use a lot of oil (olive oil works too, although it is kinda smelly), massage your scalp and cover your hair, then wrap an old towel and leave to rest for a couple of hours, then wash it all off. Your hair will be extra soft and shiny!
  • No kidding! I'd be lost without Body Shop Tea Tree Cleanser & Face Mask. Both have totally revolutionized my skin. No Joke. I'm so sensitive that even Cetaphil made me break out. Not with Tea Tree Cleanser! And the face mask 1 x a week keeps me fresh & breakout free. Even in the summer. If you can get past the smell, some people can't stand it.

And Philosophy Hope In A Jar Face Cream is also amazing. Rated #1 by Sephora! I can understand why!
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. "
    Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

I saw Hard To Imagine LIVE at MSG!
    :D but they're all designed that once you start using them, you can't cope without them.

I'm too fickle to succumb! I'm already onto the next cosmetic "miracle" gimmick! :D
    I've noticed that especially for Americans the phrase sensitive skin is meant to indicate skin with a tendency to break out in spots and/or congested.

Is that the case or am I misinterpreting?

I've always thought it meant sensitive to the environment/delicate/prone to redness, etc.
  • BlancheBlanche Posts: 247
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks the Lush shops stink to high heaven.
    People look at me as if I were antisocial when I say that. :rolleyes:

Toothpaste!
    It's good against zits. Just put a gob of toothpaste on the zit and leave overnight.
    It's also good for burns if you don't have anything else on hand.
    (I think it's the mint and not the toothpaste itself.)

An overnight hair mask of monoi oil doesn't hurt and it smells nice, too.

Vichy body moisturiser and sunscreen and Nuxe facial moisturiser don't cause irritation or pimples.

As for cellulite creams, sorry ladies.
    The cream doesn't break up the cellulite; it's the massage recommended by the manufacturer.
    well I've never been one for any kinda fake tan... it's like cheating :D but I did use sally hensens leg one for the christmas party and that was EXCELLENT... no streaks at all and you can see what you're doing and it was very natural. I don't like the Johnsons one... I found it came out streaky and quite obvious looking.

I've been burned before which was why I just felt stupid in the sunbed and thought 'what the fuck am I doing to myself?'

Well, I think all tans are stupid really, but there's no way I'd be attempting to actually brown my skin permanently because it just doesn't work for me! Burn, peel and freckle that's me! :o And it's not like I show a lot of skin anyway, so I really only use the fake tan stuff in the summer if I'm going somewhere nice and I'm planning on frocking up, and usually then it's only on my legs, so I don't have to wear stockings. Coz who really needs to wear pantyhose? ;)
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
    lgt wrote:
    ...There's no need for toning (just exfoliating one a week, or washing your face off with a sponge/muslin cloth is enough to thoroughly clean) - so you can skip that step!)..

It's good to hear that I'm not the only one that thinks toning is a waste of time. I never bother with it anymore, after experimenting with hoards of the stuff when I was younger. Just seems to make a bigger mess of my skin, so after I've washed with the Clinique Facial Soap in the shower, I just splash a little cold water on my face, pat it dry and then apply moisturizer. And the same goes at night time when I can be bothered. I might also use Neutrogena Facial soap if I'm out of Clinique. And if I've got a face full of make up, I cleanse with Neutrogena Cleanser, then rinse, then wash with Clinique before popping on some night cream.

http://www.clinique.com.au/templates/products/3step_prod.tmpl?CATEGORY_ID=CAT6521

http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=16679&catid=21189&aid=335933&aparam=neutrogena_transparent_fa
    lgt wrote:
    ...The serum is - I believe - a new step in the grooming process, like using a primer (or base) before applying foundation. It only goes before the moisturiser, both first thing in the morning and last thing at night (therefore before the night cream).

I use Estee Lauder Night Repair from time to time, but I'm finding that it doesn't suit my skin as well as it used to.
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
  • I use aloe vera...at night on my face and in the morning after I shower and wash my face...I have never had problems with breakouts or anything...it is better than all the stuff that they sell that is usually too greasy...

I also use ivory soap (it floats) I havent changed this since I was 10 years old...

sometimes I have to use some oatmeal and honey mix (the stuff in your cupboard) when my face gets winter skin...but other than that...no "products" except makeup (of course) and I dont like face makeup...just the eye and lip stuff...

I have a sister that is addicted to oil of olay age stuff...she claims it works...she is 43 but doesnt look it....so, maybe it does work.
    IF YOU WANT A PLATE OF MY BEEF SWELLINGTON, YOU'RE GOING TO HAVE TO PAY THE COVERCHARGE.
  • lgt wrote:
    I've noticed that especially for Americans the phrase sensitive skin is meant to indicate skin with a tendency to break out in spots and/or congested.

Is that the case or am I misinterpreting?

I've always thought it meant sensitive to the environment/delicate/prone to redness, etc.

lgt!!!
    helloooooooooooooooooo!
    :D

secondly, yes..i think you are misinterpreting. any 'sensitive skin' product i have ever bought in the US is just that, dfor sensitive skin....not for acne-prone. usually, there is a whole other line of products for that. :)

btw - i returned to sephora purposely yesterday....to pick up a new perfume...and also, by suggestion from someone in this thread....p/u clinique's pore minimizer lotion. so i did, and i hope it has positive results, thanks for the tip! :)
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    Blanche wrote:
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks the Lush shops stink to high heaven.
    People look at me as if I were antisocial when I say that. :rolleyes:

No I don't think you're antisocial, but I love Lush! I'm going to NYC tomorrow and Saturday I'm going to the Lush store, hopefully find a MAC store, and Sephora, though I believe Macy's carries MAC so I could go there.

I don't bother with toning - I was with a Lush cleanser and use a moisturizer from the same company and that's basically it.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • JaneNY wrote:
    No I don't think you're antisocial, but I love Lush! I'm going to NYC tomorrow and Saturday I'm going to the Lush store, hopefully find a MAC store, and Sephora, though I believe Macy's carries MAC so I could go there.

I *love* LUSH! I don't have one near me, but one of the benefits to traveling to see Pearl Jam is that I periodically get to visit Lush stores too (right K!).
    Le sigh.

There was a Lush booth at Lollapalooza that was really neat, but I figured my stuff might melt, so I went to the Macy's on State street and got my Lush fix there. :D

Tips... for those of you need waterproof mascara - Lancome really works. Also if you need an eye liner that stays put invest in the Stila smudge pots; they won't move until you remove them.
  • genevievegenevieve Posts: 1,203
    Heres my beauty tip.

Buy some nipple creme.
    Its in the baby section of most grocery stores or pharmacies.
    There are a few brands.
    I have tried Lanisoh (purple tube) and Medela (yellow tube).
    And use it before bed on your dry or cracked heals for like a week.
    Its quite sticky so you dont want to use it during the day.

Its awsome.
    Best thing for heals yet.
    And if you have nursed a baby and dont know what to do with your leftover nipple creme, well here you go. :D
    the person below me smells like cat pee and raisins...
  • genevieve wrote:
    Heres my beauty tip.

Buy some nipple creme.
    Its in the baby section of most grocery stores or pharmacies.
    There are a few brands.
    I have tried Lanisoh (purple tube) and Medela (yellow tube).
    And use it before bed on your dry or cracked heals for like a week.
    Its quite sticky so you dont want to use it during the day.

Its awsome.
    Best thing for heals yet.
    And if you have nursed a baby and dont know what to do with your leftover nipple creme, well here you go. :D

gen, that is actually brilliant!! i never thought of that, but that stuff is so thick, it would be perfect... too bad I didn't save any of mine.
  • Jeanie wrote:
    Well, I think all tans are stupid really, but there's no way I'd be attempting to actually brown my skin permanently because it just doesn't work for me! Burn, peel and freckle that's me! :o And it's not like I show a lot of skin anyway, so I really only use the fake tan stuff in the summer if I'm going somewhere nice and I'm planning on frocking up, and usually then it's only on my legs, so I don't have to wear stockings. Coz who really needs to wear pantyhose? ;)
    well once I've burned initially :rolleyes: I tend to get a brilliant tan... we just haven't had any sun this year and in Chicago it was WAY too hot to be miserly with the sun tan lotion :eek: so I'm white.

toning's always seemed pointless... I've tried it a few times and just don't get it.

blanche... no you're certainly not alone.
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life