PJ Girlies let's talk beauty tips!

Comments

• chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    Jeanie wrote:
    Eeew!! You can't eat my hair chaddles! But I'll give you the conditioner bottle for your toast if you want! :D

Besides, toast is for Vegemite! ;)

Honey flavored vegemite conditioner for my toast.(that is all rock)
    I am sooooo flyin to the land down under.
    What about callin vegemite, vaga-mite.
    haha.
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • JeanieJeanie Posts: 9,446
    Lizardjam wrote:
    From the Body Shop...anything Satsuma!! I love that smell.

Has anyone mentioned Loccitane products? They're the best creams I've ever used.

For those of us with oily skin the best product in the world is Dermadoctor's Tease Zone....I do not get shiny all day!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just my two cents.

Oh yeah and Infusium 23. That's the only conditioner I'll ever use. I haven't had a single knot in years!!!

Anyone recommend a good eye cream? I've tried tons and I hate my crows feet...what can i say? I like to smile and laugh...but the lines......: (

I'm using a Satsuma fruit soap from the body shop at the moment LJ. :)
    It's yummy. But my favorite of theirs was the Lime fruit soap but they don't make it anymore. :(

Yes the lovely Allie mentioned the L'Occitane and I have used their hand cream. It's to die for! :)

Ok, so this is gonna sound dodgy, but I'm sure I saw on Oprah years ago this woman that used a feminine hygene product on her face and Preparation H or another sort of hemoroid cream on her eyes to stop puffiness and lines. I actually went and bought some this week to give it a go. :eek: I'll let you know how it goes. Otherwise I use Clinique eye cream. :)
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
    chadwick wrote:
    Honey flavored vegemite conditioner for my toast.(that is all rock)
    I am sooooo flyin to the land down under.
    What about callin vegemite, vaga-mite.
    haha.

:D Oh we all called it vaginamite as kids and penis butter. :o

Anyway, I can always send you some love. :)
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
  • LizardjamLizardjam Posts: 1,121
    Jeanie wrote:
    I'm using a Satsuma fruit soap from the body shop at the moment LJ. :)
    It's yummy. But my favorite of theirs was the Lime fruit soap but they don't make it anymore. :(

Yes the lovely Allie mentioned the L'Occitane and I have used their hand cream. It's to die for! :)

Ok, so this is gonna sound dodgy, but I'm sure I saw on Oprah years ago this woman that used a feminine hygene product on her face and Preparation H or another sort of hemoroid cream on her eyes to stop puffiness and lines. I actually went and bought some this week to give it a go. :eek: I'll let you know how it goes. Otherwise I use Clinique eye cream. :)

Thanks...I'm not sure i could try H cream on my eyes. Please do report back! I'm using Clinique eye cream at the moment...not seeing too much of a difference. I've got a Loreal and an avon one to try next. I'm up for mostly anything!
    bugs in the way...I feel about you

"New music, new friends. Pearl Jam."

I like our socks. I hear we make a fine sock. I always say, You might not love our records, but I think you'll like our socks. - Stone

"This record is us speaking out in class." -EV on PJ
  • hippiemomhippiemom Posts: 3,326
    two words: lip plumper.
    i love it. makes my lips ever so soft...lipstick goes on beautifully, and sure...i guess it at least temporarily plumps your lips ever so lusciously. ;) i've gotten more than a few compliments on my lips...so it must do 'something' anyway........:p
    Can you recommend a specific brand? I got one in a goodie bag of gifts a while back and I can't say that I noticed it did a damn thing, other than add another layer of goop to my lips. It was probably a cheapie though, so I'd like to know what you use.
    "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." ~ MLK, 1963
  • hippiemomhippiemom Posts: 3,326
    I love Kiehl's cleansing and moisturizing products. Most of their stuff is unscented though, and it seems that a lot of you like the scented stuff.

I spend too much money on my perfume, bacuase that's how I like to smell, so I prefer unscented ... I don't want to smell like a fruit salad when I get out of the shower.
    "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." ~ MLK, 1963
  • you areyou are Posts: 1,651
    Lizardjam wrote:
    Oh yeah and Infusium 23. That's the only conditioner I'll ever use. I haven't had a single knot in years!!!

yes! i love that conditioner! how could i have forgotten?! and the Infusium 23 leave-in treatment is good too. especially after you've colored your hair.

i also like Paul Mitchell's "the conditioner." you can leave it in. there's also a generic version that's just the same that you can buy at Sally Beauty Supply.
    No need to be void, or save up on life...
    You got to spend it all
  • Heineken HelenHeineken Helen Posts: 18,095
    Jeanie wrote:
    We've got lush here too chiq. But I have a bit of a problem with the overwhelming smell of the place.
    Oh I thought that was just me... I have to walk really quickly past the place cos it gives me an immediate headache and smells NEVER effect me like that. Problem is, it's quite a busy street it's on and people seem to walk particularly slowly past it and I'm trying to shove by them... I HATE the smell of lush.

Anyway, my brother was in the army in kosovo and brought my sister and I back some 'ahava' products... you can't get these in Ireland but I think you can order online. I can't remember which moisturiser it was, but it was absolutely AMAZING. I was addicted to it and would put it on a few times a day and the smell would somehow also put me in a good mood. It's one of those moisturisers that you just can't stop touching your face after you've used it :o

http://www.deadseanet.com/ahava/
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Verona??? it's all surmountable
    Dublin 23.08.06 "The beauty of Ireland, right there!"
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Copenhagen?? your light made us stars
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Had I not found this love with you
    oh and also the new johnsons naturals baby moisturisers are GREAT for legs... make them shiny and smooth... and dries in almost immediately :) and it's cheap.

Oh and if your hair's lacking body, wash it and, when wet, go and jump on a trampoline for 10 minutes... I discovered this cheap and fun beauty trick at the weekend :)
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    all make-up products are made from cows eyelids and tortured bisons foreskins... its true, i read it in a book.
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
    kinetic wrote:

Oh yeah, the final cold water blast on hair makes a big diff for me too.
    Not just for the hair... improves circulation too... and wakes ya up, briefly :)
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Jeanie wrote:
    You're welcome. :) I'm sure that a few of the other girlies might be able to come up with some more for you. I think from memory that Jennytree has pink hair, I'll pm her, see what she uses. :)
    jenny changes her hair colour as often as dunk changes his underwear... about once a month!
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    hippiemom wrote:
    Can you recommend a specific brand? I got one in a goodie bag of gifts a while back and I can't say that I noticed it did a damn thing, other than add another layer of goop to my lips. It was probably a cheapie though, so I'd like to know what you use.
    I find blistex intensive moisturiser is GREAT for lips... really plumps them up
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    jenny changes her hair colour as often as dunk changes his underwear... about once a month!

i only wear underwear one day a month though... :p
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
    dunkman wrote:
    i only wear underwear one day a month though... :p
    :D I love the way you've just been caught out reading all the womens beauty tips :p
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • eMMIeMMI Posts: 6,262
    Jeanie wrote:
    :D Yes!! It's bloody freezing here! ;) I'm sensitive you know ems! None of that Arctic temperature for me! :eek:

See trouble for me lovely is that my hair just isn't even remotely as long as yours, so if I wanna do a cold rinse it's gonna get on my head and face and neck and shoulders! :eek: bbbbrrrrrrrrr.......better I do it in summer! : D

lol. fair enough, I know our summer is your winter. and apparently +27 degrees just isn't warm enough. :p

okay, another fair point hunny. haha.
    "Don't be faint-hearted, I have a solution! We shall go and commandeer some small craft, then drift at leisure until we happen upon another ideal place for our waterside supper with riparian entertainments."
    :D I love the way you've just been caught out reading all the womens beauty tips :p

i was hoping for graphic explanations/pics of some of you getting Hollywoods done :)

anyway, my brother-in-law used to be transport manager for a company called Alba Proteins... and he had to organise when and where the lorries delivered the stuff to... the stuff being the carcasses of chickens/sheep/cows/etc.. and these got delivered to big cosmetic type companies to be ground down for use in cosmetics.

yuk
  • brainofjbbrainofjb Posts: 381
    Jeanie wrote:
    So today I discovered Hirudoid Cream, which according to the packet is for bruises and swelling, treatment of scars and various inflammatory conditions of the veins.

I thought I might try it on these little broken capillaries that I've been getting on my face. AND amazingly it seems to be working! Which is great because I was thinking I'd have to have saline injected into my face to get them to go away! :eek:

So that got me thinking about haemorrhoid cream and how women have been known to use it to help with puffy eyes. I got myself a tube of that too! :D

Just wondering if anybody had tried either of these and how they went or if you have any other little beauty tips you'd like to share? Bit like a girlie makeover party! So pop on your jimmy jams, grab a glass of vino and come talk to me! :)

Id love to know how it works on scars
    They say Vitamin E works... I dont think there is alot of truth to that.

I am pregnant right now.. Im using Bath and Body works Cocoa butter so that I dont get Stretch marks. So far, so Good but i am only 5 months

Im afraid of cellulite as i gain the weight.. any good creams to prevent that?
    There's the moon asking to stay
    Long enough for the clouds to fly me away
    you are wrote:
    yes! i love that conditioner! how could i have forgotten?! and the Infusium 23 leave-in treatment is good too. especially after you've colored your hair.

i also like Paul Mitchell's "the conditioner." you can leave it in. there's also a generic version that's just the same that you can buy at Sally Beauty Supply.

I forgot to add the leave-in. I use that daily as well!

I don't like Lush either. I have friends who do so I buy them gifts but, I don't find their products to be anything special. Lather on the other had has LOVELY soaps!!!

I like our socks. I hear we make a fine sock. I always say, You might not love our records, but I think you'll like our socks. - Stone

• JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    dunkman wrote:
    i was hoping for graphic explanations/pics of some of you getting Hollywoods done :)

anyway, my brother-in-law used to be transport manager for a company called Alba Proteins... and he had to organise when and where the lorries delivered the stuff to... the stuff being the carcasses of chickens/sheep/cows/etc.. and these got delivered to big cosmetic type companies to be ground down for use in cosmetics.

yuk

That is ONE of the reasons I use Lush products (not the only reason by any means - I simply love Lush - the smells, the soaps, etc). They are not tested on animals and the company does not transact business with any company that tests on animals. Also, many of their products are vegan and all are vegetarian - they use some dairy, and lanolin is in a couple of products but that is it.

MAC cosmetics and Urban Decay is vegetarian:
    http://www.urbandecay.com/vegan.cfm

But you are right - animal parts are used in some cosmetic companies and I try to avoid those.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • you areyou are Posts: 1,651
    JaneNY wrote:
    That is ONE of the reasons I use Lush products (not the only reason by any means - I simply love Lush - the smells, the soaps, etc). They are not tested on animals and the company does not transact business with any company that tests on animals. Also, many of their products are vegan and all are vegetarian - they use some dairy, and lanolin is in a couple of products but that is it.

MAC cosmetics and Urban Decay is vegetarian:
    http://www.urbandecay.com/vegan.cfm

But you are right - animal parts are used in some cosmetic companies and I try to avoid those.

i remember someone telling me about the animal fat that is used in things....never again! :eek: i'm very cautious with what i use now. i really want to try the Lush products. i just wish there was a store nearby. i'll order it off the internet, i just hate doing that.
    No need to be void, or save up on life...
    You got to spend it all
  • kinetickinetic Posts: 148
    am i the only one who gets a brazilian?
    When you're married, you'll understand the importance of fresh produce.
  • JennytreeJennytree Posts: 5,340
    The rumours are true - I have had pretty much every hair colour under the sun! (have a look at my myspace for the pics :) )

The best dye I've used is Special Effects - I know you can buy it from here: http://www.beeunique.co.uk/ - but in the States I think you can get it more readily. They make a colour called "Atomic Pink" and its by far the best pink eveeeer! grows out before it washes out which is pretty cool. If you find that its too intense or whatever, just mix it with a bit of conditioner before putting it in your hair.

What helps too is having your hair really light - I bleach mine about three times a year - any more than that and it gets a bit melty and wrecked. Also, wash your hair less, or only condition it. Also, put a li'l bit of the hair dye into your shampoo/conditioner.... :D
    This is me:
    http://www.facebook.com/jennytree

SMELL YER MA!
  • drivingrldrivingrl Posts: 1,448
    Lizardjam wrote:
    Has anyone mentioned Loccitane products? They're the best creams I've ever used.

Anyone recommend a good eye cream? I've tried tons and I hate my crows feet...what can i say? I like to smile and laugh...but the lines......:(

Not to mention the vanilla "parfume" they sell is... absolutely amazing. I'm a vanilla snob, and that scent always makes me melt.

For the eye cream, I recommend anything from the Dermalogica line. You might want to get an esthetician to give you a preliminary facial profile before you go rummaging through their product line, though.

A woman's best friend: An esthetician!
    drivingrl: "Will I ever get to meet Gwen Stefani?"
    kevinbeetle: "Yes. When her career washes up and her and Gavin move to Galveston, you will meet her at Hot Topic shopping for a Japanese cheerleader outfit.

Next!"
  • drivingrldrivingrl Posts: 1,448
    chadwick wrote:
    May I take up a seat and just be among you lovely beautiful women?

I wont talk, just smell, watch, and listen to ya'll talk about girlie stuff.

haha.

I think he wants us to start a pillow fight. Haha.
    drivingrl: "Will I ever get to meet Gwen Stefani?"
    kevinbeetle: "Yes. When her career washes up and her and Gavin move to Galveston, you will meet her at Hot Topic shopping for a Japanese cheerleader outfit.

Next!"
    Lizardjam wrote:
    Thanks...I'm not sure i could try H cream on my eyes. Please do report back! I'm using Clinique eye cream at the moment...not seeing too much of a difference. I've got a Loreal and an avon one to try next. I'm up for mostly anything!

Yeah, I'm gonna be brave and try it today LJ, coz my eyes are a bit puffy this morning. So I'll let you know! But I'm a bit hesitant, but yeah, guess I won't know if I don't try. :o
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
    Oh I thought that was just me... I have to walk really quickly past the place cos it gives me an immediate headache and smells NEVER effect me like that. Problem is, it's quite a busy street it's on and people seem to walk particularly slowly past it and I'm trying to shove by them... I HATE the smell of lush.

No! I was the same Hels. Got all kinds of allergic reaction walking past the place and used to do it real quick with my hand over my nose and mouth and hold my breath till I got passed it other wise I'd start sneezing and my eyes would water. I'm not finding it quite so bad now. I still don't go in there much, but I can walk past without holding my breath. Don't know if they've got less smelly or I've just become accustomed to it. :)
    Anyway, my brother was in the army in kosovo and brought my sister and I back some 'ahava' products... you can't get these in Ireland but I think you can order online. I can't remember which moisturiser it was, but it was absolutely AMAZING. I was addicted to it and would put it on a few times a day and the smell would somehow also put me in a good mood. It's one of those moisturisers that you just can't stop touching your face after you've used it :o

http://www.deadseanet.com/ahava/

We have some "dead sea" products here, I'm not sure of the brand name though. I'll have to suss it out. Thanks. :)
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
    ....Oh and if your hair's lacking body, wash it and, when wet, go and jump on a trampoline for 10 minutes... I discovered this cheap and fun beauty trick at the weekend :)

:D:D:D:D
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
    Jeanie wrote:
    Yeah, I'm gonna be brave and try it today LJ, coz my eyes are a bit puffy this morning. So I'll let you know! But I'm a bit hesitant, but yeah, guess I won't know if I don't try. :o

I'll be waiting to hear the results! :)

Eucerin calming cream.....not the original is the best lotion\cream on the planet!!!

brainofjb wrote:
    Id love to know how it works on scars
    They say Vitamin E works... I dont think there is alot of truth to that.

I am pregnant right now.. Im using Bath and Body works Cocoa butter so that I dont get Stretch marks. So far, so Good but i am only 5 months

Im afraid of cellulite as i gain the weight.. any good creams to prevent that?

Well so far so good. Seems to be making the little capillaries less and so the redness is going away jb. Not completely but I can see a difference, which is great! And I can vouch for Vitamin E too. I used that on a really bad burn years ago, it was full thickness and went right down to the flesh and Mum mixed powdered vitamin E with water and then soaked gauze in the solution and applied it to the burn several times a day. I think the scarring is much better than it would have been had we not and it did seem to heal quicker because of it. I still have a small scar but it's barely visible. I still pierce a Vitamin E cap and squeeze it onto injuries now and occassionally onto my face too. I think it works. :)

Can't help so much with the stretch marks although I know people who swear by Palmer's Cocoa Butter products. :)

http://www.etbrowne.com/
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift