PJ Girlies let's talk beauty tips!

Comments

• lgtlgt Posts: 720
    Jeanie wrote:

I use Estee Lauder Night Repair from time to time, but I'm finding that it doesn't suit my skin as well as it used to.

I used that too and I also find myself not using it as much. Also I discover that it has sun protection (that's their anti-ageing factor) so it doesn't make any sense to use it at night.

Argh.. not sure how to do multiple quotes from different posts, so here it goes...

- D2D:

HELLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO right back at ya! :)

good to hear that sensitive skin is just sensitive skin then! :D

- genevieve:

Never heard of nipple cream before, but if it works on cracked heels it's worth trying out. I like to keep my feet soft!
  • brainofjb wrote:
    THANKS!!!

So far so good with the cocoa butter. I still have a long way to go

To prevent stretch marks during both my pregnancies, I used Neutrogena Sesame Oil on my belly, applied with a damp washcloth, right out of the shower. I don't have a single stretch mark! :) And it smells good, too.
    "Ladies and gentlemen, the President of the United States, Barack Obama."

"Obama's main opponent in this election on November 4th (was) not John McCain, it (was) ignorance."~Michael Moore

"i'm feeling kinda righteous right now. with my badass motherfuckin' ukulele!"
    ~ed, 8/7
  • BlancheBlanche Posts: 247
    JaneNY wrote:
    No I don't think you're antisocial, but I love Lush! I'm going to NYC tomorrow and Saturday I'm going to the Lush store, hopefully find a MAC store, and Sephora, though I believe Macy's carries MAC so I could go there.

I don't bother with toning - I was with a Lush cleanser and use a moisturizer from the same company and that's basically it.
    The last time I went to NYC, the Lush shop was at Herald Square (and the door was CLOSED :p ), where that old store Korvette's used to be, Sephora across from Macy's and MAC at Macy's.
    You just walk out of Penn Station and shop.
    :)
  • JeanieJeanie Posts: 9,446
    genevieve wrote:
    Heres my beauty tip.

Buy some nipple creme.
    Its in the baby section of most grocery stores or pharmacies.
    There are a few brands.
    I have tried Lanisoh (purple tube) and Medela (yellow tube).
    And use it before bed on your dry or cracked heals for like a week.
    Its quite sticky so you dont want to use it during the day.

Its awsome.
    Best thing for heals yet.
    And if you have nursed a baby and dont know what to do with your leftover nipple creme, well here you go. :D

You realize that I'm now going to have to go out and get myself some just to try it right? ;):D

I've had some success with pure Lanoline and I don't mind using it so much because it's a natural oil. BUT this sounds like a great tip genevieve so I'm keen to give it a go. Thanks. :)
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
    well once I've burned initially : rolleyes: I tend to get a brilliant tan... we just haven't had any sun this year and in Chicago it was WAY too hot to be miserly with the sun tan lotion : eek: so I'm white.

toning's always seemed pointless... I've tried it a few times and just don't get it.

blanche... no you're certainly not alone.

Well I burn quite easily but the areas on my body that are exposed to light more often, like my arms, tend to get brown, but the skin is much hardier.
    I guess I don't bother with tanning so much because we have the highest incidence of skin cancer in the world here AND Muriel used to work for the Cancer Council, so I've had more than my fair share of warnings about the evils of sun damages over the years! :rolleyes: ;):D

Besides, I've seen those women that used to lather themselves up in baby oil and lie out in the sun and they look like that old woman out of There's Something About Mary! :eek:

And yes, toning is an exercise in futility imo too Hels! :D
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
    lgt wrote:
    I used that too and I also find myself not using it as much. Also I discover that it has sun protection (that's their anti-ageing factor) so it doesn't make any sense to use it at night.

hehe! :D So very true! Never considered it myself. I just find it ironic that I had a sampler of it and it took me ages to use it all up and then I finally spent the big bucks on getting myself some and now it appears that I'm allergic to it or something because it's not doing what it was in the sampler! :rolleyes: You gotta wonder if they change the formula on this stuff just to sucker us in to spending the $$$$!

lgt wrote:
    Argh.. not sure how to do multiple quotes from different posts, so here it goes....

I usually just press quote, copy the quote I'm after and then paste it into the reply. But the principle is the following, without the spaces between the brackets:

[ quote=decides2dream ]- D2D:

HELLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO right back at ya! : )

good to hear that sensitive skin is just sensitive skin then! : D [ /quote ]

so without spaces it looks like this:
    - D2D:

HELLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO right back at ya! : )

good to hear that sensitive skin is just sensitive skin then! : D

[ quote=genevieve ]- genevieve:

Never heard of nipple cream before, but if it works on cracked heels it's worth trying out. I like to keep my feet soft! [ /quote ]
    genevieve wrote:
    - genevieve:

Never heard of nipple cream before, but if it works on cracked heels it's worth trying out. I like to keep my feet soft!

So you need [ quote=insert name here ] followed by the text you want to quote and then close the quote with [ /quote ]

see?
    followed by the text you want to quote and then close the quote with

Hope that helps. :) Actually I just hope it makes sense! ;) :eek:
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
    well once I've burned initially I tend to get a brilliant tan... we just haven't had any sun this year and in Chicago it was WAY too hot to be miserly with the sun tan lotion so I'm white.

re: tanning, I only attempted when I was younger but as I have very pale skin I never tanned that much, just a little golden colour. Anyway, now I religiously use sun protection - initially because of skin cancer potential (indeed I had what turned out to be a non-malignant melanoma taken out) but now I just love my paleness and the glow-in-the-light effect! :D

By the way, in terms of sun protection factor, is there really much difference between SP 30 and 50 or higher? I read contrasting views, whereby 30 should really be enough and that higher factors do not guarantee higher protection, just .. higher price. Any ideas? :)
    Jeanie wrote:
    hehe! So very true! Never considered it myself. I just find it ironic that I had a sampler of it and it took me ages to use it all up and then I finally spent the big bucks on getting myself some and now it appears that I'm allergic to it or something because it's not doing what it was in the sampler! You gotta wonder if they change the formula on this stuff just to sucker us in to spending the $$$$!

Yea, I agree! :) The problem is that I LOVE trying out different products and stuff. I'm definitely a cosmetic and make-up junkie!

P.S. Thanks Jeanie - testing now if I've worked out the multiple quotes! Yup, preview post works! :D except for smilie limit.. grr!!! cut cut...
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    chadwick wrote:
    I can not say it enough.
    You ladies are it.
    Totally all of it, every bit of it.

And good night I am out.

Agreed.
    But I'm not goin to bed yet.
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • TrixieCatTrixieCat Posts: 5,756
    For those of you that tan...just wear sunscreen on your face and/or a hat.
    That is the best anti-aging money can buy.
    Use a self tanner or bronzer on your face.
    Cause I'm broken when I'm lonesome
    And I don't feel right when you're gone away
  • Sprunkn7Sprunkn7 Posts: 5,286
    A few years ago I popped out with some nasty adult acne and tried everything my dermatologist gave me. After a year of no improvement I went for Pro-Active. It worked for me in about a week and I was thrilled. I used it religiously for a few years, then backed off. I still keep some around in case I need it.
    I have gotten out of that area, and now am looking at wrinkles and all that. I once again went for an infomercial and ordered Meaningful Beauty. I know, sounds hokey, but again I am pleased with the results. Not sure how long I will commit to the program, but I really like it so far, and it gives you a whole regime for three months when you re-order. My skin looks and feels better. Again, I use it exactly as directed, and knowing I am spending a little more than I would on a regular basis makes me stick to it. How many times in the past have I gone to bed and not washed my face? No more!! Time is no longer on my side and I have to do the best I can with what I can afford! It ends up to be about $30 a month if you order the neck and chest cream that comes as a free gift in the first shipment.
    Anyone who has seen the commercial and thought about it..try it, you may like it!
    Thank you fellow 10 clubber for saving my ass....again!!!
  • lgt wrote:
    re: tanning, I only attempted when I was younger but as I have very pale skin I never tanned that much, just a little golden colour. Anyway, now I religiously use sun protection - initially because of skin cancer potential (indeed I had what turned out to be a non-malignant melanoma taken out) but now I just love my paleness and the glow-in-the-light effect! :D

By the way, in terms of sun protection factor, is there really much difference between SP 30 and 50 or higher? I read contrasting views, whereby 30 should really be enough and that higher factors do not guarantee higher protection, just .. higher price. Any ideas? :)
    I don't think there IS any need for higher than 25... that's what I had in Chicago and I didn't get anything at all... and I was in the sun every day. I've pale skin too btw.
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Verona??? it's all surmountable
    Dublin 23.08.06 "The beauty of Ireland, right there!"
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Copenhagen?? your light made us stars
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Had I not found this love with you
  • JennytreeJennytree Posts: 5,340
    am I a minge bag cos I don't use cleanser or moisturiser or anything like that on my face?? I swish water on it when I'm in the shower, but thats about it!

I don't get spots really, but I always found that cleansers gave me spots, as well as foundation - I figured, if it ain't broke, don't fix it :)

I do use body butter from the body shop though - that stuff is just lovely, and they smell great.
    This is me:
    http://www.facebook.com/jennytree

SMELL YER MA!
  • Jennytree wrote:
    I do use body butter from the body shop though - that stuff is just lovely, and they smell great.

love the coconut one :)

can anyone recommend a nice cream for my hands? haven't found one i'm happy with and wearing gloves more often now is taking it's toll :o
    wah

can anyone recommend a nice cream for my hands? haven't found one i'm happy with and wearing gloves more often now is taking it's toll :o

the body butter is actually pretty good for hands too... either that or nutrogena/atrixo hand creams. I found that any other ones are too greasy and don't do anything... my hands fall to bits in the winter time :(
    This is me:

SMELL YER MA!
  • Jennytree wrote:
    am I a minge bag cos I don't use cleanser or moisturiser or anything like that on my face?? I swish water on it when I'm in the shower, but thats about it!

I don't get spots really, but I always found that cleansers gave me spots, as well as foundation - I figured, if it ain't broke, don't fix it :)

yeh, I used to be a 'water on the face' person too... and it works. Actually there's nothing better than waking up, splashing warm/hot water on your face... and THEN splashing cold water on your face... it's exhilerating :D
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    I don't think there IS any need for higher than 25... that's what I had in Chicago and I didn't get anything at all... and I was in the sun every day. I've pale skin too btw.

I stick to 30 in summer and might try it over the winter as well. I am getting quite paranoid, truth be told, after that cancer scare, but better be safe than sorry!
    Jennytree wrote:

I use those once in a while. I like their olive oil one. Must try the shea butter one.

Palmer's cocoa butter is also very effective but doesn't smell very nice at all though.
  • Jennytree wrote:
    the body butter is actually pretty good for hands too... either that or nutrogena/atrixo hand creams. I found that any other ones are too greasy and don't do anything... my hands fall to bits in the winter time :(

awwww :(

yet to try a neutrogena one, may give it a trial!
    wah
  • LizardjamLizardjam Posts: 1,121

Loccitane's hand cream is absolutely the best. Though, bath and body has something somewhat comparable called "look ma, new hands". Both excellent!
    bugs in the way...I feel about you

"New music, new friends. Pearl Jam."

I like our socks. I hear we make a fine sock. I always say, You might not love our records, but I think you'll like our socks. - Stone

"This record is us speaking out in class." -EV on PJ
    Lizardjam wrote:
    Loccitane's hand cream is absolutely the best. Though, bath and body has something somewhat comparable called "look ma, new hands". Both excellent!

Agree on L'Occitane hand cream, which is based on shea butter, I believe.

Also in terms of hand treatments, I sometimes scrub my hands thoroughly then moisturise and put on some cotton gloves overnight (it does take some getting used to sleeping with gloves, I admit! lol) and come the morning, super soft hands!
  • LizardjamLizardjam Posts: 1,121
    lgt wrote:
    Agree on L'Occitane hand cream, which is based on shea butter, I believe.

Also in terms of hand treatments, I sometimes scrub my hands thoroughly then moisturise and put on some cotton gloves overnight (it does take some getting used to sleeping with gloves, I admit! lol) and come the morning, super soft hands!

Oooh yeah and with that bath and body also has a hand wash that's a slight scrub and it's based on shea butter as well. Could use that and then pop on the lotion with gloves!!!! Hmm if I were home now i might have a go at it!
    bugs in the way...I feel about you

"New music, new friends. Pearl Jam."

I like our socks. I hear we make a fine sock. I always say, You might not love our records, but I think you'll like our socks. - Stone

"This record is us speaking out in class." -EV on PJ
    Lizardjam wrote:
    Oooh yeah and with that bath and body also has a hand wash that's a slight scrub and it's based on shea butter as well. Could use that and then pop on the lotion with gloves!!!! Hmm if I were home now i might have a go at it!

I've recently got the Sephora hand scrub (with sweet almond oil, vitamin E, et al) to try out for my hand pampering session and it is good. I recommend it! :)
  • Don't do any work! That's how my hands are so supersoft... definitely don't do dishes, that stuff KILLS your hands... get someone else to do them for ya. don't clean either.
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Don't do any work! That's how my hands are so supersoft... definitely don't do dishes, that stuff KILLS your hands... get someone else to do them for ya. don't clean either.

hahaha!!! So true!

I've now started to use washing-up gloves. Has to be done - no minions around! :D;)
  • lgt wrote:
    hahaha!!! So true!

I've now started to use washing-up gloves. Has to be done - no minions around! :D;)
    :o I try and use them too... cos I hate the feeling when your finger rubs off the sink :eek: it's horrible.
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    Westernsky wrote:
    I *love* LUSH! I don't have one near me, but one of the benefits to traveling to see Pearl Jam is that I periodically get to visit Lush stores too (right K!).
    Le sigh.

There was a Lush booth at Lollapalooza that was really neat, but I figured my stuff might melt, so I went to the Macy's on State street and got my Lush fix there. :D

How the HECK did I miss the Lush booth at Lolla??!! I never saw it. Which section was it in?

I like the show traveling aspect too - and did make it to Lush in Herald Square on Saturday - got moisturizer for face and for hair, and a mask.

At Macy's I got a MAC lipstick and eyeliner.

Oh - EDIT - I was a vegetarian for over a year, and have now been vegan for close to 2 months (meaning no dairy, no eggs), and my skin is the clearest its ever been in my entire adult life. I guess that my count as a beauty/health tip.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
    JaneNY wrote:

At Macy's I got a MAC lipstick and eyeliner.

Ooo my friend works at the MAC counter in Macys in NY - talk about the best job ever!! Mac products are so expensive here, and Sephora doesn't even exist, but I got a load of stuff in the Sephora shop in Poland though.

Another tip - Aussie Shampoo's and Conditioners... fabtastic!
    This is me:

SMELL YER MA!
    lgt wrote:
    Yea, I agree! : ) The problem is that I LOVE trying out different products and stuff. I'm definitely a cosmetic and make-up junkie!

ooh me too! :D I love to try out new things! I just wish you could buy the sample sizes to try instead of investing in something only to discover that it's not for you after only a few weeks. My bathroom cabinet is full of stuff like that! Very expensive stuff like that! :(

lgt wrote:
    P.S. Thanks Jeanie - testing now if I've worked out the multiple quotes! Yup, preview post works! : D except for smilie limit.. grr!!! cut cut...

Ah glad it worked! Even I was struggling to work out what I was trying to say! ;):D

Don't get me started on the smilie limit! :mad:
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
    Don't do any work! That's how my hands are so supersoft... definitely don't do dishes, that stuff KILLS your hands... get someone else to do them for ya. don't clean either.

What an EXCELLENT tip Hels! ;):D
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
  • cheers for the L'Occitane cream heads up ladies!

tomorrow i shall buy and trial :D fingers crossed!
    wah
    cheers for the L'Occitane cream heads up ladies!

tomorrow i shall buy and trial :D fingers crossed!

It's DEVINE girl! I'm sure you'll love it! :)
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift