Options

'Sopranos' final season to begin April 8

Comments

• Options
    patrickredeyespatrickredeyes Posts: 8,834
    I think no matter what come Monday morning. Were all gonna be in a funk cause it's all over. :(
  • Options
    xavier mcdanielxavier mcdaniel Somewhere in NYC Posts: 9,135
    yes i know it's edited on A and E but the pine barrens episode is on now..
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
  • Options
    PissBottleManPissBottleMan Union City, TN Posts: 4,154
    Not sure if this is correct, but it is listed on IMDB in the "IMDB Hit List" link section.

Alternate beginning to The Sopranos.

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

Wishlist Foundation: http://wishlistfoundation.org
  • Options
    Not sure if this is correct, but it is listed on IMDB in the "IMDB Hit List" link section.

PBM

Very interesting thanks PBM
  • Options
    AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    I think no matter what come Monday morning. Were all gonna be in a funk cause it's all over. :(

hell yea

haven't been this upset over a televison show ending since seinfeld, well actually, never..... this is horrible
  • Options
    AllNiteThingAllNiteThing Posts: 1,114
    Final spoiler posting. :D

I found this on imdb from someone who in turn found it posted on wikipedia. Apparently it's the most legit description of the episode, to a T (pun intended). Anyway, for some reason, I am not reading this. It's really tough though. Here it is for those into instant gratification: ;)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0141842/board/thread/76290068
    24 years old, mid-life crisis
    nowadays hits you when you're young
  • Options
    rriversrrivers Posts: 3,693

PBM

I saw Chase interviewed and he said that originally he had wanted it to be a different song every week, but HBO said no, because when people are in the other room and hear the music for the show you want them to think, "The Sopranos" is on and go watch it. Which makes sense.
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
  • Options
    I never said I REALLY want to know. If you read the first thing I ever said about this, I know I shouldn't be reading them and I don't 100% want to, but it's right there and I can't help it, like knowing where the Christmas presents are weeks ahead of time. I know many people who as a kid used to sneak a peak, lift a corner of the wrapping paper or whatever, and I was guilty of that. It CAN lessen the value of the surprise, I certainly agree. BUT, if it is so great or a present, IMO, you can't really diminish its value.

Actually, I would say you get 2 'highs'. You get the fun of reading speculation/spoilers and wondering what is right, either way you get an almost giddy feeling reading it, like you're watching the show new but reading it. Then when the show actually airs, you get the anticipation of wondering what you will actually see, plus the amazing execution that the writers/directors/actors put into the show.

I completely understand why others DON'T want to read spoilers, and I respect that by either linking to them or warning others if I post it, out of respect for those who don't enjoy it the same way I do. I'm surprised you can't see the other side of the fence, or at least comprehend why many people enjoy spoilers. Just look at imdb or any Sopranos site and you'll get an idea of how prevalent and popular they are.

I agree if it is a great gift you can't diminish it's value. But you can diminish the anticipation of it, because you already know what it is.

I comprehend why other people enjoy spoilers. You mention the "2 highs" of seeing it first in print and then seeing it on the screen. An argument could be made that there is also a "low" (to continue the analogy) where you think, now I know what will happen. It also diminishes the suspense of watching. If I knew Sil was going to get shot, I would not have enjoyed it as much or been on the edge of my seat as much. I was thinking, will they get him in the bing? Will they get him just outside his car? Then when the car started, I thought for a second, maybe he'll get away. If I knew he got shot there, I would not have had that suspense.

In a previous post, I may have said I don't understand why people enjoy spoilers which I guess is not completely correct. I understand intellectually (for the rush of knowing), but don't know why you would want to when, in my opinion, not knowing when you watch it makes it so much sweeter.
  • Options
    paulie said the doctors don't think he'll gain consciousness, so he isn't officially dead, right? and if you know something about the last episode with regard to sil, please don't tell me.

I don't know anything with regard to Sil. See my rant against spoilers for further confirmation. I just said he was dead due to Paulie saying he wouldn't regain consciousness.
  • Options

I have actually found the A & E episodes to be surprisingly watchable, even with the editing. I think that is a testament as to how good the show is, especially in those early seasons.
  • Options
    rrivers wrote:
    I have actually found the A & E episodes to be surprisingly watchable, even with the editing. I think that is a testament as to how good the show is, especially in those early seasons.

I agree with your statement.
  • Options
    AllNiteThingAllNiteThing Posts: 1,114
    rrivers wrote:

Yeah definitely...Pine Barrens was awesome yesterday. :cool:
    24 years old, mid-life crisis
    nowadays hits you when you're young
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,146
    rrivers wrote:

i don't mind the editing (although i've noticed somewhat important scenes completely removed) but the commercials bug me....it ruins the flow.....:)
  • Options
    FnCircusFnCircus Posts: 439
    discs through Netflix........on season 4 right now.
  • Options
    Yeah definitely...Pine Barrens was awesome yesterday. :cool:

My wife got me the 3rd season Friday for $30 used. I was tempted to watch Pine Barrens last night on A&E but I thought I would just watch it when I get to it on the DVD.

Can't wait till Sunday!
  • Options
    CorduroyboyCorduroyboy Posts: 1,253
    rrivers wrote:

I started watching the early seasons on A&E and after coming to the board and reading the posts on how crappy it is on A&E and that the uncut version is the best, I never went back. I've rented and bought every season and have never thought a show to be as great as this. I will really miss the Sopranos when it's all over. :(
  • Options

Interesting article about Pine Barrens:

http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20038366,00.html
  • Options
    Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    WHACKED?

Verne Kopytoff, Al Saracevic, Chronicle Staff Writers
    Friday, June 8, 2007

After years of lying, stealing, cheating and killing, HBO's wildly popular mobster series, "The Sopranos," is coming to an end Sunday.

And just as Tony Soprano would have it, people are laying illegal bets on whether the Jersey crime boss will get whacked in the final episode.

So, what are the odds? According to an Internet gambling site that's making book on the show's finale, the betting public is holding out hope for the big guy. The odds are about 1 to 3 that he'll live to see next week's Nielsen ratings. In other words, to win $1, you'd have to put down $3.

In case you're interested, it's about 2 to 1 that he gets it. (You get $2 for every $1 you wager.)

And so it goes as "The Sopranos" winds down. After bursting onto the scene at the turn of the century, the cable series has taken its loyal fans on an unbelievable ride that has run the gamut from psychotic to psychological. And it's all centered on the life of Tony Soprano, the North Jersey mobster who has as much trouble running his real family as he does directing his family of criminal cohorts.

Now, with a rival mob boss making a move on Tony and his entire operation, viewers are eager to see how this modern-day tragedy turns out.

That offshore Internet gambling sites, such as Bodog.com and BetUS.com, are accepting bets on "The Sopranos" is just another sign of the series' popularity. By encouraging wagering on the show, the Web sites are tapping into a big fan base, drawn by critically acclaimed writing, complex characters and award-wining acting.

"This is a monumental moment as far as TV series are concerned, and people love to make their viewing experience a little more exciting by having a stake in the outcome of the show," Calvin Ayre, founder of Bodog.com, wrote in an e-mail to The Chronicle.

Ayre said that his company has accepted hundreds of bets on "The Sopranos," taking action on whether Tony will survive, whether Paulie Walnuts will make it and other burning questions.

One can even bet on whether Tony's long-time capo, Silvio Dante, will wake up from a bullet-induced coma before it's all said and done. The fine print on that bet reads, "Silvio must verifiably wake up before the end of the June 10th episode for yes to have action. Eyes must open or words must be spoken by Sil for yes to be graded the winner."

"Sopranos" wagers on Bodog.com are difficult to find. Bets are limited to $50 to keep the site's potential losses low in case the plot for the final episode leaks out early and, as Ayre put it, to maximize fun. That's a key point for Las Vegas, too, which won't lay odds on any event that already has taken place. In other words, forget about going to Nevada to bet on the show's outcome.

Online gambling in the United States was effectively banned last year by a new law that prohibited gamblers from using credit cards, checks and electronic-fund transfers to place and settle bets. Financial institutions are supposed to enforce the law, which a large number of U.S. gamblers have tried to circumvent by opening accounts overseas, among other strategies.

A bill introduced by Rep. Barney Frank, D-Mass., is working its way through Congress with the intent of making online wagering legal.

"The existing legislation is an inappropriate interference on the personal freedom of Americans, and this interference should be undone," Frank said when he introduced the measure. Coincidentally, as Americans hit the Internet to bet on the fate of "The Sopranos," a House committee will gather today to begin debating the issue of online gambling.

In the meantime, companies like Bodog.com operate overseas -- in places like the Caribbean island of Antigua -- with relative impunity. Billions of dollars are wagered annually on sports, poker and any number of absurd topics.

For instance, one can wager on this question: "Will David Hasselhoff check into rehab before the end of 2007?" Right now, it's even money that he will.

For you tech fans out there, you can also bet on which company Google will gobble up next. (Facebook is the leading candidate.)

But, until the final episode of "The Sopranos" comes to an end, the most compelling question on the Internet gambling sites still has to do with whether Tony will get whacked.

What they're saying
    How will "The Sopranos" end on Sunday night? The theories are endless, especially on Tim Goodman's blog, The Bastard Machine, where he routinely recaps and analyzes each episode. Here's a selection of speculative ideas on how the series will end from the comments section of his June 4 post:

"I don't even want to speculate, but I wouldn't bet against Tony even if he's pretty alone now. I watched the last four episodes back to back last night with some friends who hadn't seen eps 17, 18 & 19 (I'd seen them twice) and I'm still pretty gobsmacked today. What an intense ride this has been. It was really clear how well the foundation was laid for all that was to come."

-- Posted by suzyq2

"Something dawned on me this morning. As Sil and Patsy were cleaning out the back room at the Bing (right before they got hit), Sil asked Patsy to grab a bunch of paperwork (believe he said "receipts"). Unless I missed it, I think this was still in the backseat of the car in a briefcase as Patsy ran off (where did he get to btw?). Could this be the final info that implicates the NJ 'glorified crew'?"

-- Posted by mudcrutch2000

"My theory: Paulie as Judas hands Tony over to Phil for some big showdown moment. "

-- Posted by carmelalite

"In the end, Butchie gets it. Paulie gets it. Phil gets it. And yes, Tony has to get it. Hey...I GET IT!!"

-- Posted by tarastew

"Final result could be that Tony, who wants nothing more than finding a way out of this life, in charge of not only Jersey, but Phil's family also. Talk about irony. I really don't believe a word of this, by the way, but what the hell, it's speculation."
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • Options
    Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • Options
    I'm staying away from this thread until after tomorrow nite. I dont wanna know what happens. :D
  • Options
    azwyldcatsazwyldcats Posts: 703
    Please don't end...

One hour away, East coast feed.
    And I'm not living this life without you, I'm selfish and clear
    And you're not leaving here without me, I don't wanna be without
    My best... friend. Wake up, to see you could have it all
  • Options
    40 mins to go. :D

But deep down I dont want this to end.
  • Options
    culot4culot4 Posts: 775
    I just saw a fuckin hillarious commercial for The Sopranos DVD's for Father's Day or some shit. It was a family who all had hair wings like Paulie and some little kid who looked just like Junior.

Another 20 minutes and I can't wait to see the end but as soon as its over I'll be bummed.
    Once in a while you can get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,146
    hehehehe....perfect.....:D
  • Options
    culot4culot4 Posts: 775
    Huh?....What the fuck was that?
    Once in a while you can get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
  • Options
    orig_long redorig_long red Posts: 2,029
    cutback wrote:

i dont have hbo...what happened?!
    Jam out with your clam out.
  • Options
    I FUCKING LOVED THE ENDING!!!! :D

I don't need to think about it. It was perfect and worth sitting threw the 45 min's of bullshit before it. LOL

Great episode overall, a little slow in the beginning. But I'm pleased and will now enjoy all the seasons on DVD. :)
  • Options
    mammasanmammasan Posts: 5,656
    What a horrible ending to a great show.
    "When one gets in bed with government, one must expect the diseases it spreads." - Ron Paul
  • Options
    I FUCKING LOVED THE ENDING!!!! :D

I don't need to think about it. It was perfect and worth sitting threw the 45 min's of bullshit before it. LOL

Great episode overall, a little slow in the beginning. But I'm pleased and will now enjoy all the seasons on DVD. :)

Agree
    "Underneath this smile lies everything - all my hopes, anger, pride and shame."
  • Options
    cutback wrote:

I agree 100% with you.