Options

'Sopranos' final season to begin April 8

Comments

• Options
    bostonloubostonlou Posts: 2,849
    AllIAm wrote:
    im bummed. that was my favorite little ice cream shop. just a whole in the wall place right down the street from where my parents live that i loved to go to when i was home... and now... it will be packed forever. i can't even imagine how many people will go tonight. they do make goooood ice cream though

what was the name of it? my coworker is trying to say it wasn't real

what town?
    Don't Believe Everything You Think
  • Options
    Atomic PunkAtomic Punk Posts: 2,941
    It's real

Holsten's on Broad Street in Bloomfield NJ
  • Options
    patrickredeyespatrickredeyes Posts: 8,834
    It's real

Holsten's on Broad Street in Bloomfield NJ

Very cool info to know. Not like I'll be there anytime soon, but thanks for the info. :D
  • Options
    AllIAmAllIAm Posts: 1,309
    yup that would be it... bloomfield NJ... right on the corner of broad and watchung. my brother lives a few doors down and said that even this mornin there ws a line out the door to get in.

i guess they shot the whole thing in my town. i will have to go watch it now ;)
  • Options
    We have some friends that live on mountain ave, tommorrow I will be there, I want to take some pictures, we have some of the house ande the old folks home.

The cat as aid, that is a good one.

Hopefully they will have a movie.
    Some people have religion I have Pearl Jam.

no more shows
  • Options

that just made me smile and think about every graduation or celebration we had when i was a kid and my parents would take me there.

i used to live next door to one of the directors... obviously they like to film close to home.
  • Options
    Atomic PunkAtomic Punk Posts: 2,941
    AllIAm wrote:
    that just made me smile and think about every graduation or celebration we had when i was a kid and my parents would take me there.

i used to live next door to one of the directors... obviously they like to film close to home.

They even have their menu on line at http://www.holstens.com
  • Options
    bostonloubostonlou Posts: 2,849
    thanks for the info... would of googled it if i remembered the name

one question though

weren't they pretending like they needed reservations??

for a diner?

as always... my coworker is an idiot :)
    Don't Believe Everything You Think
  • Options
    bostonlou wrote:
    thanks for the info... would of googled it if i remembered the name

one question though

weren't they pretending like they needed reservations??

for a diner?

as always... my coworker is an idiot :)

its a shithole too. ill take you there sometime Lou!
  • Options
    sweetpotatosweetpotato Posts: 1,278
    NY PJ1 wrote:
    maybe the cat was big pussy??

that's exactly what i was thinking! like he was sitting in judgement of them, ya know?
    "Ladies and gentlemen, the President of the United States, Barack Obama."

"Obama's main opponent in this election on November 4th (was) not John McCain, it (was) ignorance."~Michael Moore

"i'm feeling kinda righteous right now. with my badass motherfuckin' ukulele!"
    ~ed, 8/7
  • Options
    mammasanmammasan Posts: 5,656
    AllIAm wrote:
    its a shithole too. ill take you there sometime Lou!

That place does suck. They are supposed to be famous for their ice cream and even that isn't that great.
    "When one gets in bed with government, one must expect the diseases it spreads." - Ron Paul
  • Options
    NY PJ1NY PJ1 Posts: 9,533
    that's exactly what i was thinking! like he was sitting in judgement of them, ya know?

yea good point
  • Options
    NY PJ1NY PJ1 Posts: 9,533
    David Chase Whacked Every Viewer At The End
  • Options
    rriversrrivers Posts: 3,688
    My first reaction was that I hated the ending. Then I called my dad because he saw it earlier and asked me to call him. When we talked about it, I liked it more and the more I think about it, the more I like it.

The whole show Tony was finally getting things in order. He got Phil. He made a kind of peace with Janice at her house. He was able to forgive Junior. AJ didn't go to the Army and seems to be getting out of his depression. Carm and him are accepting Meadow's choice to not go to med school.

When he met with his lawyer, they basically told you that he was going to be indicted by the FBI. At the beginning of the season, the FBI guy went into the Jersey cop's office who arrested Tony and said, "We've been building a case against this guy for 5 years." This is just a reminder of all the dirt they have on him from all the informants (Pussy, Adriana, Members Only Jacket guy, the guy who had the heart attack while in the car with the FBI, and Carlo).

Tony had the boss of a NY family killed. There is no way the NY family will just allow that to happen without retribution, no matter what Butchie (sp?) says at the meeting.

Putting those things together with the fact that they kept showing all of the other people in the ice cream shop, there is no way that Tony is going to go on leading the life he has lead the whole time we knew him. I personally think someone in the shop killed him and someone else, if not all, of his family. Maybe the shots were fired right when Meadow finally hit the door. There is a reason that they continued to show the guy with the baseball cap sitting in the booth, the 2 black guys, and the guy at the bar who walked to the bathroom. Maybe it ended up being a cross fire where they all shot them from different angles.

If you think he made it out of the ice cream shop alive, then the FBI still got him.

So I am happy with the ending. I understand the frustration some are feeling, since I felt it too when I first saw it. I feel, at least, that the answers are there, they just need a little putting together for yourself.
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
  • Options
    very true stuff, and what worked for that ending is the people that liked tony can walk away thinking when it comes down to it its all about the wife and kids and the good times just like aj pointed out.
    As far as fbi, its almost like they set tony up, now they could pursue the phil hit even more, the fbi knew what was happening, and than he cheers.
    Some people have religion I have Pearl Jam.

no more shows
  • Options
    Dustin51Dustin51 Posts: 222
    rrivers wrote:
    My first reaction was that I hated the ending. Then I called my dad because he saw it earlier and asked me to call him. When we talked about it, I liked it more and the more I think about it, the more I like it.

The whole show Tony was finally getting things in order. He got Phil. He made a kind of peace with Janice at her house. He was able to forgive Junior. AJ didn't go to the Army and seems to be getting out of his depression. Carm and him are accepting Meadow's choice to not go to med school.

When he met with his lawyer, they basically told you that he was going to be indicted by the FBI. At the beginning of the season, the FBI guy went into the Jersey cop's office who arrested Tony and said, "We've been building a case against this guy for 5 years." This is just a reminder of all the dirt they have on him from all the informants (Pussy, Adriana, Members Only Jacket guy, the guy who had the heart attack while in the car with the FBI, and Carlo).

Tony had the boss of a NY family killed. There is no way the NY family will just allow that to happen without retribution, no matter what Butchie (sp?) says at the meeting.

Putting those things together with the fact that they kept showing all of the other people in the ice cream shop, there is no way that Tony is going to go on leading the life he has lead the whole time we knew him. I personally think someone in the shop killed him and someone else, if not all, of his family. Maybe the shots were fired right when Meadow finally hit the door. There is a reason that they continued to show the guy with the baseball cap sitting in the booth, the 2 black guys, and the guy at the bar who walked to the bathroom. Maybe it ended up being a cross fire where they all shot them from different angles.

If you think he made it out of the ice cream shop alive, then the FBI still got him.

So I am happy with the ending. I understand the frustration some are feeling, since I felt it too when I first saw it. I feel, at least, that the answers are there, they just need a little putting together for yourself.

I pretty much agree with you. Although I think because Bobby and Sil got it that Phil getting wacked may just even it out. But it's impossible to not think that Tony got it if that scene continues but then again it felt like someone was going to die in every scene last night so it's possible that they had a nice diner, went home, and Tony fell asleep on the couch watching an old movie.

When you look at how brilliant that series was I think it was impossible for them to come up with a fitting end to it. It never tied up loose ends like most show's and movies do. That was part of the beauty of it so leaving it like that and basically wacking all of us was as perfect as it could've been really.

I admit I was disappointed at first though.
    Be excellent to each other
  • Options
    mammasanmammasan Posts: 5,656
    I like the aspect of the viewer getting killed off. Tony's life continues, or not, but we will never know because our relationship with the show has ended.
    "When one gets in bed with government, one must expect the diseases it spreads." - Ron Paul
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    that was classic

i loved the ending. couldnt have gone out any betetr than that.

so, i assume phils funeral will be closes casket :cool:
  • Options
    MasterFramerMasterFramer Posts: 2,268
    The whole problem with this ending is Chase has said in the past when asked "will there ever be a reunion show of some sort?" He said NO and that this season would tie up everything and not leave any questions about the ending. What happened to that Mr. Chase? He took the easy way out... "I'll let the audience decide" WEAK.

Again, why so much focus on that waste of space, AJ? They should have blown him up in that stupid car of his.
    10.31.93 / 10.1.94 / 6.24.95 / 11.4.95 / 10.19-20.96 / 7.16.98 / 7.21.98 / 10.31.00 /8.4.01 Nader Rally/ 10.21.01 / 12.8-9.02 / 6.01.03 / 9.1.05 / 7.15-16,18.06 / 7.20.06 / 7.22-23.06 / Lolla 07
  • Options
    The whole problem with this ending is Chase has said in the past when asked "will there ever be a reunion show of some sort?" He said NO and that this season would tie up everything and not leave any questions about the ending. What happened to that Mr. Chase? He took the easy way out... "I'll let the audience decide" WEAK.

Again, why so much focus on that waste of space, AJ? They should have blown him up in that stupid car of his.

You could argue that Chase thinks the viewers will see the ending as showing that Tony gets killed.
  • Options
    patrickredeyespatrickredeyes Posts: 8,834

I agree the AJ story was too much this season. But I don't think the ending was a easy way out for Chase. As someone said he sucked us in at the end. Then BAM we are left to think on our own what happened. I think it was perfect IMO.
  • Options
    dg1979usdg1979us Posts: 568

I always read that Chase never intended to tie it all up.
  • Options
    FnCircusFnCircus Posts: 439
    aaaahhhhhh, come on! shishkabob, that's all he needs to know..........
  • Options
    AllNiteThingAllNiteThing Posts: 1,114
    I agree the AJ story was too much this season. But I don't think the ending was a easy way out for Chase. As someone said he sucked us in at the end. Then BAM we are left to think on our own what happened. I think it was perfect IMO.

EXACTLY. I LOOOOOVED it. I can't believe anyone disliking it, but then again so many people think this is just simply a 'mob show' and watch it for the shootings and deaths. This show is impeccably written and executed. I have to admit that I set myself up to be let down by the ending, knowing how nearly impossible it would be to please all of our expectations. That said, I was on the edge of my seat for the last 10 minutes, constantly glancing at the clock wondering how this would play out, feeling dread at every instance, then BAM. Amazing. Maybe its the thinker in me, but I appreciated this ending so much more than had Tony been shot at the last second, or had the FBI barged in. There are so many underlying things going on with that last scene, it will stay with me for a long time. I still can't get that Journey song out of my head. :D
    24 years old, mid-life crisis
    nowadays hits you when you're young
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    EXACTLY. I LOOOOOVED it. I can't believe anyone disliking it, but then again so many people think this is just simply a 'mob show' and watch it for the shootings and deaths. This show is impeccably written and executed. I have to admit that I set myself up to be let down by the ending, knowing how nearly impossible it would be to please all of our expectations. That said, I was on the edge of my seat for the last 10 minutes, constantly glancing at the clock wondering how this would play out, feeling dread at every instance, then BAM. Amazing. Maybe its the thinker in me, but I appreciated this ending so much more than had Tony been shot at the last second, or had the FBI barged in. There are so many underlying things going on with that last scene, it will stay with me for a long time. I still can't get that Journey song out of my head. :D

couldn't have said it better myself......:)......but now i gotta ask, did any of the spoilers you read come true.....:)
  • Options
    cutback wrote:
    couldn't have said it better myself......:)......but now i gotta ask, did any of the spoilers you read come true.....:)

I went back and tried to look at some of the spoilers that Allnitething had posted from imdb.com. Some of them were wrong but it seemed like they were on the right track.
  • Options
    libragirllibragirl Posts: 4,632
    I thought it was good. I didn't think anything was going to happen to tony or his family. Although for a while there I thought AJ might bite the dust.
    These cuts are leaving creases. Trace the scars to fit the pieces, to tell the story, you don't need to say a word.
  • Options
    AllNiteThingAllNiteThing Posts: 1,114
    cutback wrote:

Carlo being a rat was kind of put out there a while ago, but it didn't seem like it would pan out. Not a big deal either way. The big things I knew were Sil outside the Bing, Bobby at a train store (though I read it was outside, w/his son there), Chris dying in a car accident and Phil at the gas station (actually heard it was the Ukrainian at the gas station, so I knew about that mix up too).

I guess I regret the Bobby/Chris/Sil stuff, but I don't really feel like I missed out. The show is just executed so amazingly that nothing can bring this show down for me. The repeat viewing satisfaction of the Sopranos is extraordinarily high with me.
    24 years old, mid-life crisis
    nowadays hits you when you're young
  • Options
    sweetpotatosweetpotato Posts: 1,278

i think there was more depth to the aj story than most here seem to have come away with. i think they focused on him to contrast his illness to tony's over the years. tony never stopped functioning. his depression was more of a function of his life choices, so each thing fueled the other.

that said, tho, i was getting tired of aj's whining and was glad tony kicked his ass last week. :D
    "Ladies and gentlemen, the President of the United States, Barack Obama."

"Obama's main opponent in this election on November 4th (was) not John McCain, it (was) ignorance."~Michael Moore

"i'm feeling kinda righteous right now. with my badass motherfuckin' ukulele!"
    ~ed, 8/7