Options

'Sopranos' final season to begin April 8

Comments

• Options
    patrickredeyespatrickredeyes Posts: 8,834
    I'm still waiting on Furio and the Russian to come back.

PBM

I hope they do. :)
  • Options
    culot4culot4 Posts: 775
    Coming down the home stretch....I have a feeling something big is going to happen tonight.
    Once in a while you can get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
  • Options
    libragirllibragirl Posts: 4,632
    I hope something big happens...so far the episodes have been lackluster.
    These cuts are leaving creases. Trace the scars to fit the pieces, to tell the story, you don't need to say a word.
  • Options
    mammasanmammasan Posts: 5,656
    It looks like Paulie and Chris have some serious tensaion developing between the two of them, from what I read on HBO.com. One of them will not live past next weeks episode.
    "When one gets in bed with government, one must expect the diseases it spreads." - Ron Paul
  • Options
    Great episode tonight as always. I have to go back and watch this one again. Had 2 phone calls during the show. That look on Paulie's face while driving to Chrissy's house was priceless. hehe :D
  • Options
    SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 24,932
    ya know.....i may be wrong......

but.....

i think Chris had too much to drink.....

hehehehehehehe...............
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options
    azwyldcatsazwyldcats Posts: 703
    Despite all the drinking, still quite a shot.
    And I'm not living this life without you, I'm selfish and clear
    And you're not leaving here without me, I don't wanna be without
    My best... friend. Wake up, to see you could have it all
  • Options
    azwyldcats wrote:

Yes very good shot.
  • Options
    culot4culot4 Posts: 775
    Great episode tonight as always. I have to go back and watch this one again. Had 2 phone calls during the show. That look on Paulie's face while driving to Chrissy's house was priceless. hehe :D

Yeah that look on Paulie's face said it all. Watching him doing doughnuts on Chris' lawn in broad daylight while the neighbors were standing outside watching was classic. I actually thought Chris was going to wind up killing Paulie for that comment he made about Chris' daughter.
    Once in a while you can get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
  • Options
    culot4 wrote:
    Yeah that look on Paulie's face said it all. Watching him doing doughnuts on Chris' lawn in broad daylight while the neighbors were standing outside watching was classic. I actually thought Chris was going to wind up killing Paulie for that comment he made about Chris' daughter.

Yea I thought Chris was gonna gun Paulie down in front of everybody. Instead he shoots his AA/movie friend at his apartment. heh

I think AJ is going down a interesting road.

Only 4 more left. :(
  • Options
    aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,117
    Holy shit.....YEAH Christopher!!! Damn. He threw little Paulie out the fucking window.....then blew that mother fucker in the head at the end......I said DAMN!!! That was a great episode!! The look on Paulie's face when he was tearing up Chris' lawn was great!

AJ....what a little cry baby.

Things are about to go down!!
  • Options
    aNiMaL wrote:
    Holy shit.....YEAH Christopher!!! Damn. He threw little Paulie out the fucking window.....then blew that mother fucker in the head at the end......I said DAMN!!! That was a great episode!! The look on Paulie's face when he was tearing up Chris' lawn was great!

AJ....what a little cry baby.

Wasn't Tony's talk to AJ about getting over it just great? hehe

Tonight's epsiode showed how it's all falling apart for everybody. Things are going down alright. :D
  • Options
    moeaholicmoeaholic Posts: 535
    I'm still waiting on Furio and the Russian to come back.

PBM

i read an interview with david chase online about a year ago and the russian in the woods came up and chase said (i'm paraphrasing, here) "that storyline is dead. the russian in the woods will not be back." i think paulie actually hit him when he shot at him and the guy ended up dying in the woods. and i really don't think furio will be back, either. he's back in italy, where he belongs.

last nights episode was pretty great. the whole chrissy/paulie storyline was fantastic, some of the best acting i've seen from michael imperioli. aj......i really wish they had gone with the suicide storyline instead of what they did go with. completely out of character, it just doesn't fit. i'm sure he's going to get into some kind of trouble if he keeps it up, though.
    "PC Load Letter?! What the fuck does that mean?"
    ~Michael Bolton
  • Options
    rriversrrivers Posts: 3,693
    Great epsiode. My only beef is that the part with Chrissy shooting the writer came out of nowhere. Otherwise it was great.

Interesting thing I noticed: in the scene before Tony goes to see Dr. Melfi, there is a shot of a statue in her waiting room and then they show Tony. This was the same shot that opened the series. I really thought that was going to be the last therapy session when i saw that but then Tony said he would be there forever because of AJ.
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
  • Options
    mammasanmammasan Posts: 5,656
    rrivers wrote:
    Great epsiode. My only beef is that the part with Chrissy shooting the writer came out of nowhere. Otherwise it was great.

Interesting thing I noticed: in the scene before Tony goes to see Dr. Melfi, there is a shot of a statue in her waiting room and then they show Tony. This was the same shot that opened the series. I really thought that was going to be the last therapy session when i saw that but then Tony said he would be there forever because of AJ.

I agree. I didn't like how they just threw that in there (Chris shooting J.T.), but maybe that will come back to bite him in the end. I didn't notice the statue part when I saw it but now that you mentioned it I remember.
    "When one gets in bed with government, one must expect the diseases it spreads." - Ron Paul
  • Options
    pjfanatic4pjfanatic4 Posts: 127
    azwyldcats wrote:

HA ha.... you know, I didn't think about that.... you're right!
  • Options
    pjfanatic4pjfanatic4 Posts: 127
    Great episode....

Tony's rant w/ Dr. Melfi, fabulous.

Boy, that Chrissy is having some thoughts about spilling his guts. Probably the alcohol talking.

Does anyone get the feeling that they are setting up motives to keep us guessing who will whack Tony? The AJ angle may be his "moment of clarity" of what his purpose is in life, which is to follow in his dad's footsteps.

Will it end with Tony being whacked? Or will the series end just like any season ends, with no real answers being given, with a life goes on attitude, no closure whatsoever. That is part of the greatness of the show. It really leaves many plot lines open, just like it happens in life.
  • Options
    pjfanatic4 wrote:
    Great episode....

Tony's rant w/ Dr. Melfi, fabulous.

Boy, that Chrissy is having some thoughts about spilling his guts. Probably the alcohol talking.

Does anyone get the feeling that they are setting up motives to keep us guessing who will whack Tony? The AJ angle may be his "moment of clarity" of what his purpose is in life, which is to follow in his dad's footsteps.

Will it end with Tony being whacked? Or will the series end just like any season ends, with no real answers being given, with a life goes on attitude, no closure whatsoever. That is part of the greatness of the show. It really leaves many plot lines open, just like it happens in life.

I thought the therapy session was great with Tony crying and really feeling the guilt about his son. It is funny that he has guilt about him passing on the depression gene but no guilt about encouraging him to go to a party with strippers!

pjfanatic, a lot of people share your view that what makes the show great is that they leave many plot lines open. There is a blog called the bastard machine written by Tim Goodman, a writer for the SF Chronicle where he breaks down each episode. Here's the link: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/sfgate/category?blogid=24&cat=530 He has argued that it is great to have the plot lines open This works to a degree with me. Something like the Russian never coming back makes sense because the audience can draw their own conclusions and they are spoon-feeding us. On the other hand, if they leave too many things open and they are big things then I consider it just lazy storytelling, because anyone can just start a story and leave it open ended. I posted something similar on the Lost thread a few days ago. Something that I would be pissed if it is left open-ended would be the plot about the FBI closing in on Tony, which seems to have been festering for a few years.

What I think made the show great was the fantastic characterization and the high stakes of being involved in the world they are in.
  • Options
    AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    last night was a great episode and im glad they had a strong episode.
    what do u think? will chris rat them out?
    i thought chris was dead last night, but then again, there have been many other times throughout the show that i got that same feeling.
  • Options
    It looks to me like they have members of the crew killing people very sloppy. possibly leaving behind evidence. maybe one of these guys will get picked up and sing like a canary. And after the AJ stuff last night, I think the show will end 20 years in the future with AJ as boss
  • Options
    It looks to me like they have members of the crew killing people very sloppy. possibly leaving behind evidence. maybe one of these guys will get picked up and sing like a canary. And after the AJ stuff last night, I think the show will end 20 years in the future with AJ as boss

Yea AJ as boss and the frat boys as his crew. Anything can happen, only 4 left.
  • Options
    Yeah, I know, it sounds kinda crazy, but I think they were hinting at something last night. Then again, they drop a billion hints that go nowhere, so.....
  • Options
    rhinomagicrhinomagic Charlottesville, VA Posts: 2,549
    aNiMaL wrote:

I think about that each week when I sit down to watch the newest episode, but by the hour's end I feel as though nothing's ever going to happen.

Chris and Paulie have history. The beef over power drills/father-in-law/landscaping should be enough to set it off, considering the problems they've had with each other over the seasons. The dialogue even bordered on some kind of altercation, but the characters backed off.

It makes me wonder if the show really is going anywhere with these final episodes. The series has slowed down to a crawl these last couple of seasons.

For what it's worth, I think AJ will go to work for the family but we won't ever see him as boss. It looks more and more likely that he will inherit his father's disease.

Memphis 1994
    New Orleans 1995
    Fort Lauderdale 1996
    Atlanta & Birmingham 1998
    New Orleans 2000
    Tampa 2003
    Kissimmee 2004
    New York City (x 2) 2008
    East Troy (x 2) 2011
    Chicago & New Orleans 2013
    Hampton, Raleigh, Boston 2016
    Baltimore 2020
    Louisville 2022
    Philadelphia & Baltimore 2024
  • Options
    rhinomagic wrote:
    I think about that each week when I sit down to watch the newest episode, but by the hour's end I feel as though nothing's ever going to happen.

Chris and Paulie have history. The beef over power drills/father-in-law/landscaping should be enough to set it off, considering the problems they've had with each other over the seasons. The dialogue even bordered on some kind of altercation, but the characters backed off.

It makes me wonder if the show really is going anywhere with these final episodes. The series has slowed down to a crawl these last couple of seasons.

For what it's worth, I think AJ will go to work for the family but we won't ever see him as boss. It looks more and more likely that he will inherit his father's disease.

What disease? Anxiety?

AJ has been passing out since season 1.
  • Options
    you're all crazy. aj will never be "in the business". swallowing handfulls of downers, doing multiple shots, and being a thug with his college buddies doesn't equate to being in the business.
    ~Michael Bolton
  • Options
    rhinomagicrhinomagic Charlottesville, VA Posts: 2,549
    rrivers wrote:
    What disease? Anxiety?

AJ has been passing out since season 1.

The most recent episode featured a therapy session in which Tony borrows a line from Christopher in saying that Anthony would inherit Tony's bad habits/lifestyle or "disease" in the same way that Christopher's dad passed addiction to substances down to him.

That's what I was trying to reference.

Memphis 1994
    New Orleans 1995
    Fort Lauderdale 1996
    Atlanta & Birmingham 1998
    New Orleans 2000
    Tampa 2003
    Kissimmee 2004
    New York City (x 2) 2008
    East Troy (x 2) 2011
    Chicago & New Orleans 2013
    Hampton, Raleigh, Boston 2016
    Baltimore 2020
    Louisville 2022
    Philadelphia & Baltimore 2024
  • Options
    Then again, they drop a billion hints that go nowhere, so.....

That's why I love this show so much. :)
  • Options
    That's why I love this show so much. :)

Why do you love that they drop a million hints that go nowhere?
  • Options
    libragirllibragirl Posts: 4,632
    that last episode was good...far better then the last one. I thought Christopher was going to blow away paulie...that was stupid him shooting that other guy.
    These cuts are leaving creases. Trace the scars to fit the pieces, to tell the story, you don't need to say a word.
  • Options
    libragirl wrote:
    that last episode was good...far better then the last one. I thought Christopher was going to blow away paulie...that was stupid him shooting that other guy.

nah, not stupid at all. it was always an unsaid understanding between the two of them that he was in the mafia. once j.t. opened his mouth, how could christopher let him live, knowing that he (j.t.) knew exactly what chris was all about. if he had just avoided saying that one sentence, he would have lived.

also the fact that j.t. was really the only person christopher could take his aggressions out on without being in trouble with "the family". he can't backtalk tony, he can't do anything physical to paulie, he can't show that what they were saying at the bar really hurt him.......j.t. should have just not answered his door when chrissy came knocking. everytime christopher went there, he beat on him. he should have known better.

oh, and on a side note: carmella is really pissing me off this season. she had to open her mouth to tony about the character in chrissy's movie resembeled tony, not only in physical appearance, but things that were done in the "movie", such as fucking around with the eventual killers woman. if she had kept her mouth shut, nothing would be brewing between christopher and tony. and then to top it off, she had to go blab to christopher about the same damn thing. and then this past week, when tony told aj to get a blowjob, and aj raised his voice a bit and tony told him to keep it down......carm comes busting into the room. why the fuck couldn't she just let her husband have a father/son conversation? she's really causing a lot of problems this season.
    ~Michael Bolton