Options

'Sopranos' final season to begin April 8

Comments

• Options
    pjfanatic4pjfanatic4 Posts: 127
    Yea I totally agree.

Anyone have an interpretation of what Tony "gets"? Is there a meaning behind this, or was it just a meaningless high??

I wasn't to upset on how they wrote off Chrissy. Tony realized that a golden opportunity landed on his lap. Even though he didn't have hard facts, his doubts about Chrissy were well grounded. He believed his gut and did what he had to do.
  • Options
    patrickredeyespatrickredeyes Posts: 8,834
    pjfanatic4 wrote:
    Anyone have an interpretation of what Tony "gets"? Is there a meaning behind this, or was it just a meaningless high??

I wasn't to upset on how they wrote off Chrissy. Tony realized that a golden opportunity landed on his lap. Even though he didn't have hard facts, his doubts about Chrissy were well grounded. He believed his gut and did what he had to do.

I have to watch it again tonight. Maybe he ''gets'' he has to kill Phil. Boy it's heating up between those two.
  • Options
    rriversrrivers Posts: 3,693
    pjfanatic4 wrote:

When Tony looked at the sun, it blinked like the thing that was blinking in the distance when he was in the coma. Maybe he is getting that he needs to appreciate each day (every day is a gift), like he and Chris were talking about. I'm sure there is some meaning to this.

I agree with what you said about how they wrote off Chris. The dream sequence when Tony listed all the reasons he killed Chris really made sense. The only problem with Chris dying now, is that it makes last week's scene with JT and Chris completely useless. The only redeeming value of that scene would have been if it came back to haunt Chris for shooting JT but that is all out the window now. Now the JT/Chris thing was just another time-waster in a show without a lot of time left.
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
  • Options
    chipboychipboy Posts: 137
    I think he "gets" that he is going to Hell.
  • Options
    chipboy wrote:
    I think he "gets" that he is going to Hell.

Why would he be so happy about that?
  • Options
    The acceptance of his fate has brought relief and clarity. No more therapy. The dichotomy of Tony Soprano has been removed. He is evil at the core and he accepts that.
  • Options
    AllNiteThingAllNiteThing Posts: 1,114
    rrivers wrote:
    When Tony looked at the sun, it blinked like the thing that was blinking in the distance when he was in the coma. Maybe he is getting that he needs to appreciate each day (every day is a gift), like he and Chris were talking about. I'm sure there is some meaning to this.

I agree with what you said about how they wrote off Chris. The dream sequence when Tony listed all the reasons he killed Chris really made sense. The only problem with Chris dying now, is that it makes last week's scene with JT and Chris completely useless. The only redeeming value of that scene would have been if it came back to haunt Chris for shooting JT but that is all out the window now. Now the JT/Chris thing was just another time-waster in a show without a lot of time left.

Remember the beginning of the episode when he saw the tree branch in the baby seat? How Chris fucks everything up all the time? When Chris died, things went 'right' so to say, and Tony saw this. At first it was just a sidebar, like to Carm about how at least the baby was safe. Then he saw the signs in Vegas. His luck changed. The devil face on the slot machine. The sun blinking at him. It was a continuation on his Kevin Finnerty 'experience' of a 'normal' life for him and his family, how all the negative energy he gives off catches up to him. The good luck made him think about the universe and karma. Remember the roulette wheel is like the solar system comment?

My personal interpretation is that he realizes that Chris' lifestyle and person was just bad or corrupt and would hurt everything he touched. Tony, in his peyote state, realized he too was in the same boat. He has to save his family and save his soul, either by getting out of the business or righting his wrongs (killing Paulie? offing himself?). Who knows, but there is a lot of soul searching going on in Tony.
    24 years old, mid-life crisis
    nowadays hits you when you're young
  • Options
    patrickredeyespatrickredeyes Posts: 8,834
    chipboy wrote:
    The acceptance of his fate has brought relief and clarity. No more therapy. The dichotomy of Tony Soprano has been removed. He is evil at the core and he accepts that.

Ohhh I like that. :D
  • Options
    Remember the beginning of the episode when he saw the tree branch in the baby seat? How Chris fucks everything up all the time? When Chris died, things went 'right' so to say, and Tony saw this. At first it was just a sidebar, like to Carm about how at least the baby was safe. Then he saw the signs in Vegas. His luck changed. The devil face on the slot machine. The sun blinking at him. It was a continuation on his Kevin Finnerty 'experience' of a 'normal' life for him and his family, how all the negative energy he gives off catches up to him. The good luck made him think about the universe and karma. Remember the roulette wheel is like the solar system comment?

My personal interpretation is that he realizes that Chris' lifestyle and person was just bad or corrupt and would hurt everything he touched. Tony, in his peyote state, realized he too was in the same boat. He has to save his family and save his soul, either by getting out of the business or righting his wrongs (killing Paulie? offing himself?). Who knows, but there is a lot of soul searching going on in Tony.

This idea makes more sense than the realization that he is going to hell. He realized he was going to hell when Steve Buscemi wouldn't let him go in the house with the briefcase.
  • Options
    The briefcase was his life and he couldn't go into the house without letting go of his life. Buscemi was trying to lure him in and Tony ran away to the calling of his daughter yelling "Don't go daddy."
  • Options
    mammasanmammasan Posts: 5,656
    Could it have simply been Tony realizing that he has gotten this monkey off his back, Christopher. I think out of all his Capos Chris was the one he trusted the least and the one he feared the most, as far as turning on him.
    "When one gets in bed with government, one must expect the diseases it spreads." - Ron Paul
  • Options
    mammasan wrote:
    Could it have simply been Tony realizing that he has gotten this monkey off his back, Christopher. I think out of all his Capos Chris was the one he trusted the least and the one he feared the most, as far as turning on him.

This makes sense. That is why he was so happy at the roulette table. He felt the relief that his biggest problem was gone.

At the end, the "i get it" could just be him excited about how smooth he thinks his life will be without having to worry about Chris.
  • Options
    rrivers wrote:
    This makes sense. That is why he was so happy at the roulette table. He felt the relief that his biggest problem was gone.

At the end, the "i get it" could just be him excited about how smooth he thinks his life will be without having to worry about Chris.

He said "I get it"? I thought he said "I did it".
    "When one gets in bed with government, one must expect the diseases it spreads." - Ron Paul
  • Options
    mammasan wrote:

Maybe he did say "I did it". I need to watch it again.
  • Options
    rhinomagicrhinomagic Charlottesville, VA Posts: 2,549
    rrivers wrote:
    The only problem with Chris dying now, is that it makes last week's scene with JT and Chris completely useless. The only redeeming value of that scene would have been if it came back to haunt Chris for shooting JT but that is all out the window now. Now the JT/Chris thing was just another time-waster in a show without a lot of time left.

Another way to think about it is that killing JT closed a possibility of someone outside the family but still in-the-know being able to give tips to the authorities.

It's a win-win for Tony, from that angle. And that's why I think it was important--although it was of minor importance.

Memphis 1994
    New Orleans 1995
    Fort Lauderdale 1996
    Atlanta & Birmingham 1998
    New Orleans 2000
    Tampa 2003
    Kissimmee 2004
    New York City (x 2) 2008
    East Troy (x 2) 2011
    Chicago & New Orleans 2013
    Hampton, Raleigh, Boston 2016
    Baltimore 2020
    Louisville 2022
    Philadelphia & Baltimore 2024
  • Options
    robis726robis726 Posts: 132
    That's what I thought too...but on many of the boards today, they are discussing "I GET it." Can anyone with subtitles on clear this up?
    Oh, if I knew where it was I would take you there...

Austin, Texas 09-16-1995
    Columbia, Maryland 09-04-2000
    San Antonio, Texas 04-05-2003
    Santa Barbara, California 07-13-2006
    Universal City, California 10-01-2009
    Austin, Texas 10-04-2009
    Dallas, Texas 11-15-2013
    Mexico City, Mexico 11-28-2015
    Ft. Lauderdale, Florida 04-08-2016
    Miami, Florida 04-09-2016
    Chicago, Illinois I 08-20-2016
    Chicago, Illinois II 08-22-2016
    Seattle, Washington I 08-08-2018
    Seattle, Washington II 08-10-2018
    Boston, Massachusets I 09-02-2018
    Austin, Texas 09-18-2023
  • Options
    rrivers wrote:

Knowing David Chase, I think it goes way deeper than that.

Think about the themes and conversations in this season (including part 1). Him in the hospital with that Indian saying about how a great wind carries us all. That other patient who described us all as connected, watching the 2 boxers. Everything is the same and intertwined, we just percieve it all to be different. He's constantly talking about how his line of work ends up badly. There are many scenes of him being silent and contemplative, even if for a few seconds, all throughout this season. Much different than previous seasons. You can see him rethinking his lifestyle, thinking about consequences long term, spiritually and life-wise. There is a lot of subtle philosophical thinking going on. That Kevin Finnerty coma really affected him and made him think about his place in the world, where he's going, what's it doing to the people around him, etc etc.

All of that leads to the last few episodes. He realizes that everyone around him is a 'murderer' as he put it. His luck is bottom of the barrel. Then when Chris is out of the picture, Tony sees that Chris' daughter has a chance to grow up now, nobody will be hurt by Chris. In a way, Tony has done some good (in a twisted way). The peyote puts him in a trance where I think he only half knows what he's saying. He (perhaps unconsciously) refers to the roulette table as the solar system (i.e. the universe, karma, energy, etc). His luck is out of this world and he associates it with Chris being gone (thought not completely putting it together).

The final scene he's looking right into the sun and it flashes at him like his dream/coma. Chris leaving has created positive energy, all the negativity and destruction that Chris created is now gone. Tony realizes that if he wants salvation, or if he wants to live a normal life and/or have his family be safe, then he has to GET OUT. However it happens, whoever has to go, he has to rid his life of the negative karma he surrounds himself with. The great wind. We're all connected. He gets it.
  • Options
    robis726robis726 Posts: 132
    mammasan wrote:

That's what I thought too...but on many of the boards today, they are discussing "I GET it." Can anyone who saw it with subtitles on clear this up?
    Oh, if I knew where it was I would take you there...

Austin, Texas 09-16-1995
    Columbia, Maryland 09-04-2000
    San Antonio, Texas 04-05-2003
    Santa Barbara, California 07-13-2006
    Universal City, California 10-01-2009
    Austin, Texas 10-04-2009
    Dallas, Texas 11-15-2013
    Mexico City, Mexico 11-28-2015
    Ft. Lauderdale, Florida 04-08-2016
    Miami, Florida 04-09-2016
    Chicago, Illinois I 08-20-2016
    Chicago, Illinois II 08-22-2016
    Seattle, Washington I 08-08-2018
    Seattle, Washington II 08-10-2018
    Boston, Massachusets I 09-02-2018
    Austin, Texas 09-18-2023
  • Options
    robis726 wrote:
    That's what I thought too...but on many of the boards today, they are discussing "I GET it." Can anyone who saw it with subtitles on clear this up?

Trust me, it's 'I get it'. This season is much more about introspection and philosophy than mob whackings. Saying 'I did it' would imply he is shouting to the world that he finally 'did it', i.e. ridding himself of Chris. This is fine and all, but way, way too simplified. It was a poignant moment in the series, and beautifully shot. With the reference back to the lighthouse flashing in his dreams, and all of the soul searching moments of this season, 'I get it', i.e. an inner-revelation (albeit drug fueled) makes much much more sense.

That and hbo.com's episode summary says the line is 'I get it'.
  • Options
    Trust me, it's 'I get it'. This season is much more about introspection and philosophy than mob whackings. Saying 'I did it' would imply he is shouting to the world that he finally 'did it', i.e. ridding himself of Chris. This is fine and all, but way, way too simplified. It was a poignant moment in the series, and beautifully shot. With the reference back to the lighthouse flashing in his dreams, and all of the soul searching moments of this season, 'I get it', i.e. an inner-revelation (albeit drug fueled) makes much much more sense.

That and hbo.com's episode summary says the line is 'I get it'.

Well if he did say "I get it" then yes that moment was way more profound and about more than him just getting rid of Chris. Maybe you, and the others who have mentioned it, are right. It was about Tony finally realizing what he has to do to right things in his life. For some reason though I can't see Tony walking away from the mob just like that.
  • Options
    mammasan wrote:
    Well if he did say "I get it" then yes that moment was way more profound and about more than him just getting rid of Chris. Maybe you, and the others who have mentioned it, are right. It was about Tony finally realizing what he has to do to right things in his life. For some reason though I can't see Tony walking away from the mob just like that.

If it was any other season in the series, I'd see it as a little less meaningful, and 'i did it' would make sense. I think Chase, with his penchant for making statements, use of imagery and preference of character development over action, I think he's setting this ending up to be more about Tony evolving to some extent or coming to a realization after all these years of mental struggle, rather than just your average mob war/whack fest. The more I think about it, this episode and especially that last scene was a major, major turning point in Tony's psyche. The question is whether he will carry it over once his peyote high wears off. :D
  • Options

Good observations... I didn't put together the devil image, solar system comment, etc.
  • Options
    robis726 wrote:
    That's what I thought too...but on many of the boards today, they are discussing "I GET it." Can anyone with subtitles on clear this up?

It was "I get it". I watch with closed caption ON.
  • Options
    Interesting take: http://blog.nj.com/alltv/2007/05/sopranos_rewind_kennedy_and_he.html

Don't know if I agree with all of it, but worth a read.
  • Options
    Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    wow
    i thought it was i did it also.
    oh well.

looks like it is being genetically handed down to aj also- beating up the guy on the bike and attacking his bicycle :)

i think we are not going to have any of the storylines closed and they will be left open in typical sporanos form. chase will leave it up to our imagination on how certain issues were/are resolved .

( like the raper from the first season who raped dr melfi - we all know what would have (( & should have )) happened to that guy..... )
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • Options
    Steve DunneSteve Dunne Posts: 4,965
    I thought he said "I did it" just so he could hear himself admit it to someone. Whether he felt guilty or not, he was surrounded by grief from his family and his crew over Chris' death. I just thought it was his way of clearing his conscience, and screaming it in the middle of the desert seemed to justify his guilt.

Anyone else pick up on his first session with Melfi when he basically said he murdered people? Was I hearing things?

I agree with the aforementioned 'easy way out' on getting Chris off the show. Again, I wish it was AJ who bit it.
    I love to turn you on
  • Options
    I thought he said "I did it" just so he could hear himself admit it to someone. Whether he felt guilty or not, he was surrounded by grief from his family and his crew over Chris' death. I just thought it was his way of clearing his conscience, and screaming it in the middle of the desert seemed to justify his guilt.

Anyone else pick up on his first session with Melfi when he basically said he murdered people? Was I hearing things?

I agree with the aforementioned 'easy way out' on getting Chris off the show. Again, I wish it was AJ who bit it.

He did admit to murder in the first session with Melfi but it was a dream.
  • Options
    Obi OnceObi Once Posts: 918
    I rewatched it and he says I GET it. He 1st mumbles it and then screams it.
    The final scene he's looking right into the sun and it flashes at him like his dream/coma. Chris leaving has created positive energy, all the negativity and destruction that Chris created is now gone. Tony realizes that if he wants salvation, or if he wants to live a normal life and/or have his family be safe, then he has to GET OUT. However it happens, whoever has to go, he has to rid his life of the negative karma he surrounds himself with. The great wind. We're all connected. He gets it.
    I like the sound of this. Tony has been thinking about how he can escape death or trial these last episodes and I think he figured something big out how to to this.

I'm not sure if it has anything to do with it, but just before his moment the girl throws some dirt in the air and sits down next to him..
    your light's reflected now
  • Options
    Knowing David Chase, I think it goes way deeper than that.

Think about the themes and conversations in this season (including part 1). Him in the hospital with that Indian saying about how a great wind carries us all. That other patient who described us all as connected, watching the 2 boxers. Everything is the same and intertwined, we just percieve it all to be different. He's constantly talking about how his line of work ends up badly. There are many scenes of him being silent and contemplative, even if for a few seconds, all throughout this season. Much different than previous seasons. You can see him rethinking his lifestyle, thinking about consequences long term, spiritually and life-wise. There is a lot of subtle philosophical thinking going on. That Kevin Finnerty coma really affected him and made him think about his place in the world, where he's going, what's it doing to the people around him, etc etc.

All of that leads to the last few episodes. He realizes that everyone around him is a 'murderer' as he put it. His luck is bottom of the barrel. Then when Chris is out of the picture, Tony sees that Chris' daughter has a chance to grow up now, nobody will be hurt by Chris. In a way, Tony has done some good (in a twisted way). The peyote puts him in a trance where I think he only half knows what he's saying. He (perhaps unconsciously) refers to the roulette table as the solar system (i.e. the universe, karma, energy, etc). His luck is out of this world and he associates it with Chris being gone (thought not completely putting it together).

very well described.
  • Options
    very well described.

Thanks. :) It's an ongoing process. There's a lot of subtlety in this show and the direction it's going. David Chase is incredibly creative. I love the storytelling, the little 'inside jokes' and continuity, the double entendres, malapropisms, philosophy and everything in between. That's what makes this show great. You can watch it for the mob aspect, realism and grit but you can also dig deeper and find such a wealth of storytelling arc and development. Like a detailed, intricate mosaic.