Options

'Sopranos' final season to begin April 8

Comments

• Options
    Thanks. :) It's an ongoing process. There's a lot of subtlety in this show and the direction it's going. David Chase is incredibly creative. I love the storytelling, the little 'inside jokes' and continuity, the double entendres, malapropisms, philosophy and everything in between. That's what makes this show great. You can watch it for the mob aspect, realism and grit but you can also dig deeper and find such a wealth of storytelling arc and development. Like a detailed, intricate mosaic.

totally agree. there is as much that is often significant in this show that goes unsaid. sometimes we're left with a look, a single comment, or gesture to try to piece together the puzzle. i've always enjoyed that part of the show, that it's up to the viewers' interpretations to round it out. brilliant and beautiful stuff. :)
  • Options
    AllNiteThingAllNiteThing Posts: 1,114
    totally agree. there is as much that is often significant in this show that goes unsaid. sometimes we're left with a look, a single comment, or gesture to try to piece together the puzzle. i've always enjoyed that part of the show, that it's up to the viewers' interpretations to round it out. brilliant and beautiful stuff. :)

Agreed. Always wanted to say but never had the chance: GREAT sig quote. :) My favorite movie. Just bought the director's cut, but yet to watch it. :cool:
    24 years old, mid-life crisis
    nowadays hits you when you're young
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,451

Kinda like the look when Tony walked out of Hesh' house after he paid him the 200K. His look, to me, said "you got your
    200K, but I killed your girlfriend!"

I like when they revisit the past, like when they hung with Beans in FL, or when Tony told Christopher to call the landscaper (the one Paulie stuck up for several seasons ago)) after Pauli mangled his lawn!
  • Options
    kinetickinetic Posts: 148
    Where can I download and watch this????????
    When you're married, you'll understand the importance of fresh produce.
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:
    Kinda like the look when Tony walked out of Hesh' house after he paid him the 200K. His look, to me, said "you got your
    200K, but I killed your girlfriend!"

I like when they revisit the past, like when they hung with Beans in FL, or when Tony told Christopher to call the landscaper (the one Paulie stuck up for several seasons ago)) after Pauli mangled his lawn!

No way on the first part!!! She died of a stroke (as per hbo.com and her 'migraines'). His look was all about what he said to Carm earlier about him, in reality, being 'up'. It goes with the whole theme I alluded to earlier. He's still alive, he's got his family. No matter how much he gambles and loses, or how much shit goes on around him and in his business, he's still 'up'. He survived a gunshot wound and he's healthy and so is his family. He owed Hesh a lot of money and fretted about it, but at the end he realized that compared to Hesh (losing a loved one), Tony is WAY ahead.

This plays with the theme that he wants out and he needs to get out of the business, or he'll lose the ultimate gamble - life. He keeps 'chasing it' (that next high), but all the negativity around him will ultimately catch up to him (or his family). This whole second half of the season is about consequences (according to Chase), thus it's about T recognizing there are consequences to one's actions (negative karma??).
  • Options
    kinetic wrote:
    Where can I download and watch this????????

hbo ondemand.

or if you're cheap...some torrent site has it I'm sure.
  • Options
    No way on the first part!!! She died of a stroke (as per hbo.com and her 'migraines'). His look was all about what he said to Carm earlier about him, in reality, being 'up'. It goes with the whole theme I alluded to earlier. He's still alive, he's got his family. No matter how much he gambles and loses, or how much shit goes on around him and in his business, he's still 'up'. He survived a gunshot wound and he's healthy and so is his family. He owed Hesh a lot of money and fretted about it, but at the end he realized that compared to Hesh (losing a loved one), Tony is WAY ahead.

This plays with the theme that he wants out and he needs to get out of the business, or he'll lose the ultimate gamble - life. He keeps 'chasing it' (that next high), but all the negativity around him will ultimately catch up to him (or his family). This whole second half of the season is about consequences (according to Chase), thus it's about T recognizing there are consequences to one's actions (negative karma??).

thanks for clarifying the Hesh girlfriend mystery!

I wonder if any bookmakers are taking action on who dies in the final 3 episodes???
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:
    thanks for clarifying the Hesh girlfriend mystery!

I wonder if any bookmakers are taking action on who dies in the final 3 episodes???

Good question.

I've read many spoilers, none of which seemed to pan out, though one did describe Chris' death, though as part of the last episode, so not sure how it's panning out. Most of them sound like bs though. That said, the more I watch, the more I think Tony will survive. There's too much growth and purpose in his character recently for him to end up riddle with bullets at the end. I think Phil has to go. Probably someone in Tony's family (AJ/Meadow) and definitely Paulie. That one episode with him and T on the boat, along with Paulie's Big Pussy dream, he's a definite goner. I think Sil will survive. Bobby might be out too.
  • Options
    Good question.

I've read many spoilers, none of which seemed to pan out, though one did describe Chris' death, though as part of the last episode, so not sure how it's panning out. Most of them sound like bs though. That said, the more I watch, the more I think Tony will survive. There's too much growth and purpose in his character recently for him to end up riddle with bullets at the end. I think Phil has to go. Probably someone in Tony's family (AJ/Meadow) and definitely Paulie. That one episode with him and T on the boat, along with Paulie's Big Pussy dream, he's a definite goner. I think Sil will survive. Bobby might be out too.

I have clients that work in TV, and they have offered to divulge what happens on several tv series (I refused.....too dangerous to have such info), however, the Sopranos info is quite the heavily guarded secret.
  • Options
    culot4culot4 Posts: 775

There's too much growth and purpose in his character recently for him to end up riddle with bullets at the end. .

Thats where I think you're wrong. Tony is worse now more than ever. His new lease on life has expired and he is back to drugs,compulsive gambling, and banging sluts. There has been no growth, only relapse. His epiphany on peyote was meaningless. This is the same guy who still wouldn't hesitate to drop bodies over asbestos, or retaliate on Phil's crew for dropping bodies over asbestos. He will take out his own crew if he has to save his ass and then give silly justifications for his behavior which are just pathetic. Just watch his therapy sessions. He is more lost now than he has ever been.
    Once in a while you can get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
  • Options
    culot4 wrote:
    Thats where I think you're wrong. Tony is worse now more than ever. His new lease on life has expired and he is back to drugs,compulsive gambling, and banging sluts. There has been no growth, only relapse. His epiphany on peyote was meaningless. This is the same guy who still wouldn't hesitate to drop bodies over asbestos, or retaliate on Phil's crew for dropping bodies over asbestos. He will take out his own crew if he has to save his ass and then give silly justifications for his behavior which are just pathetic. Just watch his therapy sessions. He is more lost now than he has ever been.

It's possible. I agree that for all of his mental realizations, he can't get out of 'the life'. Same was true for Vito. He couldn't stay away from it, and it led to his death. For all of Phil's wanting to 'take it easy', he can't not get in the thick of it. For Chris wanting to get legit and make movies, he was still a thug. It's a pattern, and Tony is one of the worst. I agree that's a main theme of this show. They are who they are. But, I think Tony is going through a little deeper of a mental struggle (a big part of this episode's latter half), and it's possible that it could lead to him going legit.

I could be wrong, but it seems like it's the direction Chase is taking us. He's bringing Tony to the edge. His mental state is getting closer and closer to enlightenment about his place in the world, all the while his actions are spiraling out of control. Anybody's guess which way he goes when everything collides.
  • Options
    culot4culot4 Posts: 775
    It's possible. I agree that for all of his mental realizations, he can't get out of 'the life'. Same was true for Vito. He couldn't stay away from it, and it led to his death. For all of Phil's wanting to 'take it easy', he can't not get in the thick of it. For Chris wanting to get legit and make movies, he was still a thug. It's a pattern, and Tony is one of the worst. I agree that's a main theme of this show. They are who they are. But, I think Tony is going through a little deeper of a mental struggle (a big part of this episode's latter half), and it's possible that it could lead to him going legit.

I could be wrong, but it seems like it's the direction Chase is taking us. He's bringing Tony to the edge. His mental state is getting closer and closer to enlightenment about his place in the world, all the while his actions are spiraling out of control. Anybody's guess which way he goes when everything collides.

I just think that if they're going to deal with a character struggling with their own morality they should invest it in Carmella. The fact that for the most part she is a good person, yet she knows exactly who and what Tony is makes it a complicated paradox. As far as Tony going legit, I don't see how that can happen unless he sings to the feds and goes into witness protection. He can't just walk away.
    Once in a while you can get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
  • Options
    mammasanmammasan Posts: 5,656

I think by the end of the next episode we will have a much clearer picture of which direction Tony is going. I hope that he is able to escape the life unscathed but something tells me that by the end of the series we will see a completely devestated Tony, alone, left to face all his demons.
    "When one gets in bed with government, one must expect the diseases it spreads." - Ron Paul
  • Options
    culot4 wrote:
    I just think that if they're going to deal with a character struggling with their own morality they should invest it in Carmella. The fact that for the most part she is a good person, yet she knows exactly who and what Tony is makes it a complicated paradox. As far as Tony going legit, I don't see how that can happen unless he sings to the feds and goes into witness protection. He can't just walk away.

Oh exactly. I think he'll sing. I'm starting to think Chris was wired in that episode, and we'll get some flashbacks about how he was picked up for the JT killing and flipped. Mark that down. :) Tony wants to protect his family, his health and his financial future. He's starting to realize that he's going down a dark path. The more I think about it, it's really the only way for him to go. That or a continued and a complete spiral out of control leading to the collapse and/or death of him and his family. More likely though he's gone to the brink of it all (oooh...symbolism with the canyon maybe??) and he doesn't want to go any farther with this depraved life. He's just looking for a way out to come his way. Cue agent Harris with a deal to lock up Phil and move Tony aka Kevin Finnerty, to Arizona.
  • Options
    mammasan wrote:
    I think by the end of the next episode we will have a much clearer picture of which direction Tony is going. I hope that he is able to escape the life unscathed but something tells me that by the end of the series we will see a completely devestated Tony, alone, left to face all his demons.

This was my thought a couple weeks back. An equally interesting scenario. AJ dead (Meadow would be too Godfather 3), half his crew dead or flipped and Carm leaving him.

You know the ducks have to return, which represented what? His family, right? He should save his family, flip and go legit. Then we'll see the ducks return in a move of symbolism. I bet Chase will go somewhere like that. The ducks can't return without it being a positive sign.
  • Options
    mammasan wrote:

Thats way too close to the end of Godfather III !!
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:
    Thats way to close to the end of Godfather III !!

That's funny because I never saw Godfather III. I thought the making of that movie was a sacriledge.
    "When one gets in bed with government, one must expect the diseases it spreads." - Ron Paul
  • Options
    mammasan wrote:
    That's funny because I never saw Godfather III. I thought the making of that movie was a sacriledge.

The USA network seems to show the trilogy a few times per year. A great way to spend a lazy Saturday.
  • Options
    This was my thought a couple weeks back. An equally interesting scenario. AJ dead (Meadow would be too Godfather 3), half his crew dead or flipped and Carm leaving him.

You know the ducks have to return, which represented what? His family, right? He should save his family, flip and go legit. Then we'll see the ducks return in a move of symbolism. I bet Chase will go somewhere like that. The ducks can't return without it being a positive sign.

I have a feeling that AJ is all but done. He either takes his own life or something happens because of his association with the two Jasons. AJ's death will either bring about an epiphany that will change Tony or it will drive him deaper and faster down the path to self destruction. That tinggling in my tummy tells me that next episode is AJ's last and I trust my tummy because it told me that last episode was Chris's last.
  • Options
    CHANGEinWAVESCHANGEinWAVES Posts: 10,169

i loved the ducks...i was hooked from that episode!
    "I'm not present, I'm a drug that makes you dream"
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:
    The USA network seems to show the trilogy a few times per year. A great way to spend a lazy Saturday.

I always see it advertised but after watching the first two, and they where masterpieces, I feel that the 3rd one will be extremely disappointing and just ruin the movies for me.
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,146
    mammasan wrote:
    I have a feeling that AJ is all but done. He either takes his own life or something happens because of his association with the two Jasons. AJ's death will either bring about an epiphany that will change Tony or it will drive him deaper and faster down the path to self destruction. That tinggling in my tummy tells me that next episode is AJ's last and I trust my tummy because it told me that last episode was Chris's last.

or....

do you think tony and aj are going though the same emotions.....both are conflicted between good and evil and both have a tough time being good....evil comes very easy to them yet they have massive guilt about their "dark side"....so i'm wondering if aj goes anakin and establishes himself as the boss over the jasons and starts down his dad's path.....:)
  • Options
    cutback wrote:
    or....

do you think tony and aj are going though the same emotions.....both are conflicted between good and evil and both have a tough time being good....evil comes very easy to them yet they have massive guilt about their "dark side"....so i'm wondering if aj goes anakin and establishes himself as the boss over the jasons and starts down his dad's path.....:)

I don't know. AJ seemed very reluctant when he participated in both attacks led by the 2 Jason's and should an awfull amount of guilt and remorse afterwards, something that Tony doesn't display very often. He doesn't display the characteristics necessary to run a mob crew, too much of a follower. I also believe that if it's wasn't for his last name, the 2 Jasons wouldn't give AJ the time of day.
  • Options
    cutback wrote:
    or....

I think his depressive side will take over. He's a decent, introspective kid. Seeing this dark side that incidentally his father brought him into (pushing him to hang with the Jason's), will push him over the edge. Either he'll get whacked accidentally or he'll commit suicide, or he'll try and get f'd up permanently. This will complete Tony's tranformation into wanting to get out. He'll get pinched because Chris was wired this past episode (for JT's killing...I'm positive now we'll see flashbacks of this), along with maybe Carlo being a snitch and the mounting past cases (gun charge). His info about the possible terrorists, along with them wanting to take down the NY crew will have them present Tony with an offer to flip and go to witness protection. Any other season he would refuse, but his 'growth' this whole season points to him getting out no matter what, for the sake of REAL family.
  • Options
    I think his depressive side will take over. He's a decent, introspective kid. Seeing this dark side that incidentally his father brought him into (pushing him to hang with the Jason's), will push him over the edge. Either he'll get whacked accidentally or he'll commit suicide, or he'll try and get f'd up permanently. This will complete Tony's tranformation into wanting to get out. He'll get pinched because Chris was wired this past episode (for JT's killing...I'm positive now we'll see flashbacks of this), along with maybe Carlo being a snitch and the mounting past cases (gun charge). His info about the possible terrorists, along with them wanting to take down the NY crew will have them present Tony with an offer to flip and go to witness protection. Any other season he would refuse, but his 'growth' this whole season points to him getting out no matter what, for the sake of REAL family.

I like that. I think that would be a fitting ending to the series. Tony walking out of his house, the new one he lives in under witness protection, to fetch his morning papers and seeing some ducks.
  • Options
    mammasan wrote:
    I like that. I think that would be a fitting ending to the series. Tony walking out of his house, the new one he lives in under witness protection, to fetch his morning papers and seeing some ducks.

Exactly. Perfect full circle ending. :cool:

Of course, we need some action in between, Paulie going down shooting.....Butchie getting that shit eating grin wiped off his face, etc etc :D
  • Options
    mammasan wrote:
    I don't know. AJ seemed very reluctant when he participated in both attacks led by the 2 Jason's and should an awfull amount of guilt and remorse afterwards, something that Tony doesn't display very often. He doesn't display the characteristics necessary to run a mob crew, too much of a follower. I also believe that if it's wasn't for his last name, the 2 Jasons wouldn't give AJ the time of day.

my thoughts come from piecing together tony's history.....i think tony sees a lot of himself in aj and i tony doesn't want aj to join "the family" much like he tried with jackie jr......i think tony has a lot of guilt about how he lives his life...it's part of the reason he's in therapy....remember the party planning aj was doing for a while...he was good at that and i think those skills transfer nicely into running a crew....you don't need to be a rocket surgeon to run a crew...:)....and yes if he wasn't tony jr no one would talk to him but i feel tony was the same way...if he wasn't johnny sopranos son, big pussy, sil, paulie wouldn't have given him the time of day......just my thoughts...:)
  • Options
    CHANGEinWAVESCHANGEinWAVES Posts: 10,169
    mammasan wrote:
    i'm really hoping this is the ending.
    "I'm not present, I'm a drug that makes you dream"
  • Options
    Exactly. Perfect full circle ending. :cool:

Of course, we need some action in between, Paulie going down shooting.....Butchie getting that shit eating grin wiped off his face, etc etc :D

It wouldn't be the Sopranos without a few wiseguys getting whacked. I just want to see Phil Leotardo take one is the fucking head, but I think a better fate for him would be rotting in prison knowing that Tony put him there and got away.
  • Options

i don't know if chase wants tony to end up being a snitch.....seems a little anticlimactic......:)