London show selling terribly?

Comments

• Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,080
    They overshot in 2007 also in Germany and had to move to a smaller arena
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,924
    What a desaster!
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• The RockThe Rock Posts: 1,437
    I was actually glad they changed venues as the ISS Dome was much more intimate and fun. 
    2006: London Astoria, Lisbon I & II, Paris, Verona, Milano
    2007: Wembley, Dusseldorf, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    2009: Manchester
    2010: Belfast, Berlin
    2012: Manchester I & II
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes
    2018: Amsterdam I, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Barcelona, London
    2022: Berlin, Budapest, Krakow, Amsterdam II
  • PB11041PB11041 Posts: 2,805
    Well, the prices won't go backwards, so it will be more than likely that they tour where they can sell in the future. 
    His eminence has yet to show. 
    http://www.hi5sports.org/ (Sports Program for Kids with Disabilities)
    http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3652

• Philip_IrelandPhilip_Ireland Posts: 663

• sdharv1919sdharv1919 Posts: 27
    drfox said:
    beano.79 said:
    drfox said:
    It’s not the ticket prices it’s the late announcement when lots of people had already booked to see other concerts 
    All the noise on social media over the last few months points to it being the ticket prices 
    Exactly- of course it’s the price. Second they are touring a bombing album 
    Is it bombing? Reached #2 here with minimal promotion. Doing no different to other similar bands from the same era.
    Reached number 2 briefly then tumbled. It lasted about a week on the Billboard charts- there are a multitude of 50 year old albums that are selling better than it. See article below and bear in mind that it’s a month old. It’s definitely not selling as expected. 

Original post updated for charts for week ending June 15, 2024.

"Wreckage" climbs to No. 9 at alternative radio, No. 8 at mainstream rock and No. 6 at Triple-A. It also moves up from No. 36 to No. 28 on the Canada Rock chart.

Dark Matter hangs on in the top 50 of Top Current Album Sales for a seventh week, selling between 1,700 and 1,800 copies.
    Alpine Valley 6/26/98
    Alpine Valley 6/27/98
    East Lansing 8/18/98
    Knoxville 9/6/98
    D.C. (Constitution Hall) 9/19/98
    Nobelsville 8/18/00
    Alpine Valley 10/8/00
    Grand Rapids 5/19/06
    Detroit (EV) 6/26/11
    Wrigley 8/22/16
    Wrigley 8/18/18
    Noblesville 8/26/24
  • nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 8,300
    I wish I had these problem. I have to deal with people with endless money and the whole fucking world wanting to come to the northeast to see them. 
    edited June 13
    drfox said:
    beano.79 said:
    drfox said:
    It’s not the ticket prices it’s the late announcement when lots of people had already booked to see other concerts 
    All the noise on social media over the last few months points to it being the ticket prices 
    Is it bombing? Reached #2 here with minimal promotion. Doing no different to other similar bands from the same era.
    Reached number 2 briefly then tumbled. It lasted about a week on the Billboard charts- there are a multitude of 50 year old albums that are selling better than it. See article below and bear in mind that it’s a month old. It’s definitely not selling as expected. 

"Wreckage" climbs to No. 9 at alternative radio, No. 8 at mainstream rock and No. 6 at Triple-A. It also moves up from No. 36 to No. 28 on the Canada Rock chart.

Dark Matter hangs on in the top 50 of Top Current Album Sales for a seventh week, selling between 1,700 and 1,800 copies.
    “ In its second week on the Billboard charts, Dark Matter declines sharply on every list it appears on. It even fell off of at least one ranking it arrived on last time around.

The massive fall is perhaps most notable on the Billboard 200. Dark Matter opened at No. 5 last week on the ranking of the most-consumed albums in the U.S. It earned the second-loftiest debut of the frame, coming in behind Taylor Swift’s The Tortured Poets Department, of course. Now, it’s barely hanging on, and it may disappear from the tally shortly.”

That was a month ago- it is no longer on the Billboard 200 chart. Anyway this thread is about the poor ticket sales, I only mentioned poor album sales as being an indicator/contributory factor of poor ticket sales along with them being far too expensive. 

Post edited by Philip_Ireland on
  • stonesstones Posts: 276
    I really think selling out BST in Hyde Park with 60k tickets each night two years ago set false expectations. It seems like they are now expecting ticket sales equivalent to Springsteen, The Stones or Guns n Roses - who easily sell out big stadiums at high prices.

I also think that the unusual circumstances of BST are being overlooked. In 2022 we were emerging from the pandemic, many people had been stuck in their houses for best part of 2 years and desperate to get out and experience a live event, plus they had extra disposable income because of not being able to go out… and that wasn’t just local fans, the travelling fans also had spare cash and were able to travel again.

This year we have a cost of living crisis, most people have less disposable income because of increased costs for other things, the pandemic is a distant memory and there’s more competition from other tours. It’s also not as attractive for the travelling fans to head to Europe to city hop for one show in most cities in larger venues especially when they’re also touring the US and Australia/NZ this year.
  • vedpunkvedpunk Posts: 888
    Last Europe tour?  They should have toured the Southeast US instead and would have sold more tickets with less overhead.  
  • on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,924
    drfox said:
    beano.79 said:
    drfox said:

“ In its second week on the Billboard charts, Dark Matter declines sharply on every list it appears on. It even fell off of at least one ranking it arrived on last time around.

The massive fall is perhaps most notable on the Billboard 200. Dark Matter opened at No. 5 last week on the ranking of the most-consumed albums in the U.S. It earned the second-loftiest debut of the frame, coming in behind Taylor Swift’s The Tortured Poets Department, of course. Now, it’s barely hanging on, and it may disappear from the tally shortly.”

That was a month ago- it is no longer on the Billboard 200 chart. Anyway this thread is about the poor ticket sales, I only mentioned poor album sales as being an indicator/contributory factor of poor ticket sales along with them being far too expensive. 

I get your point… but I really don’t think a new album from a band that’s been around for 30+ years drives ticket sales.  The poor sales are driven by the price of the ticket.  

1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• ZodZod Posts: 10,516
    I was listening to one of Kevin's Smith's Podcasts today, and they were talking some business.   Demand for speaking engagements is down, there's a guy who runs the bar in LA and the traffic is down.  They kept charging the same prices, while their expenses went up significantly.

I think we're starting to hit the wall.   There's a number of bands and live performances struggling to move tickets.  I guess the post covid demand is waning, and the higher prices are having an impact.

The challenge being, how feasible are tours for some of these artists on pre covid tickets prices, with post covid costs.

I get the feeling the next year or two might be interesting for live concert and entertainment industry.
  • curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Posts: 3,922
    nicknyr15 said:
    I wish I had these problem. I have to deal with people with endless money and the whole fucking world wanting to come to the northeast to see them. 

It might be cheaper to catch a flight to London and see them there. I heard that people were flying to Europe to see Taylor Swift because it was less expensive than trying to get tickets to her US shows.
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • jimjam1982jimjam1982 Posts: 1,397
    vedpunk said:
    Last Europe tour?  They should have toured the Southeast US instead and would have sold more tickets with less overhead.  
    Probably not an outrageous take.  Europe is an interesting study for this tour and this band.  

I think Europe sells best when they are in more desirable locations for US travelers with a better path to follow.  My guess is this tour is almost exclusively Europeans with very few USA/Canadian travelers. 

Dublin is cool and wish I could have made that... then Hop on over to Manchester (weird spot to land on) then down to a London football stadium show?? They haven't played a football stadium since Soldier Field as far as I know, weird jump to make.  That's just kind of a weird run probably doesn't appeal to much in terms of people outside those cities. 

Dublin > Glasgow/Edinburgh Scotland > Manchester > London normal arena or BST which is basically a super cool festival it seems like - now that's a much better run that draws more interest from traveling fans and could easily be a couple thousand more tickets sold. 

Then they randomly pop over to Berlin...okay so say thats where you start your visit....now you gotta go to fuckin spain after a few days in berlin and the surrounding area?? lol that's wild a huge swath of Europe is just skipped and you pop on a plane to Spain?- That's like playing NYC and then hoping over to El Paso and playing 3 shows between El Paso and Albuquerque  .....the math does not math here - that is just illogical it must have been a massive pay day for the festival so they just threw in 2 extra barcelona shows without really wanting to be on the road.

A more ideal run here would be Berlin x2 > Munich or Frankfurt > France or Switzerland or Milan > Barcelona x1 > festivals - This allows travelers to follow the run, maybe even choose to skip a show so you hit 3 in Germany then several days in Northern / Central Spain before wrapping up a visit in Portugal.

Clearly they made a plan to just avoid going to some of their usual destinations.  For me I passed on Europe not because of pricing but mainly because the path of travel doesn't make any sense for a visitor.  If I am crossing the pond it isn't to exclusively follow PJ. I am going to spend a few days in each city and willing to skip a PJ show on the run to do it. 

People like to say that these shows aren't mostly 10c but they are in fact mostly 10c.  The general public doesn't care to go see pearl jam for $200 USD.  16 shows since 2021 and almost everyone I talked to had seen them multiple times, not a single first timer, and they were almost all 10c or former 10c members. I'm not saying I speak with everyone at these shows because I obviously don't but when you have limited data samples, extrapolation rules apply and these are just the facts.

Combine static and formulaic sets and the band if they continue to go overseas will need to player smaller venues or play a well laid out itinerary and cluster of cities that entices visitors.

The path of travel this time around hurts ticket sales in addition to the inflated costs in my opinion.  It just didn't make sense to try and squeeze in visits and hit a few shows with the way it is scheduled.
  • lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 13,488
    Maybe they could earn a little less. 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • marumarukomarumaruko Posts: 212
    edited June 14
    I think the point of the travel path interesting, but honestly, more stops in Europe at the same prices makes it even more expensive and it is clearly a pricing issue here for the Europeans. Also I doubt they plan for people from the US to fill up seats here... There are enough Pearl Jam fans here on this continent. Don't worry. 

I am feeling the impact on the cost of living myself (as most do). Flying has become quite expensive here (luckily), the cost of living, energy such as utilities  and food has become more expensive. For example, most of the olive oil harvest last year got fucked due to climate change, so a bottle of decent olive oil cost almost a 100% more than before. Now spread that out to any other product. At the same time wages need to grow, but as we know they never grow as fast. 
    It has never been easier to get seating at most restaurants and bars either. They also had to raise prices massively due to above reasoning and people can't afford it as often anymore. The climate change won't be stopped, so food prices will stay high. There are changes possible in many other sectors and especially the profit margins. 

Unless the music industry and bands like PJ are preparing to hit a wall at some point, or simply stay in a credit financed bubble, like in the US, they better decide on a collective re-thinking on pricing and profit margin to lower 'costs'.
    Coming less often is not a solution, I think, because in order to stay relevant in a market artists nowadays need to tour. 
    The new album hardly made any waves around here, and that is every album (thanks to easy availability on streaming) nowadays.

Of course they also feel the impact of higher costs like we all do, but there are options (reduced band, no unnecessary screen, local staff). And currently we all make 'less profit' why should musicians be any different? 

Post edited by marumaruko on
    Agreed . If your individual net worth is 50 odd million.  And you earned that doing what you love. There will come a time when maybe you can just not earn so much 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,080
    nicknyr15 said:

It might be cheaper to catch a flight to London and see them there. I heard that people were flying to Europe to see Taylor Swift because it was less expensive than trying to get tickets to her US shows.
    All I heard was americans when I went to Taylor Swift here in Sweden. 45% of the crowd was non-swedes. Felt like most of them were from the US. Hehe
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Tjm007Tjm007 Posts: 178
    £49 tickets for London now on Facebook Live Nation ads
  • Tjm007Tjm007 Posts: 178
    Was at a sold out Tool show in the O2 last week - no hits, no radio airplay, just a great band in the right venue at the right ticket price.

see also QotsA  and Weezer/Smashing Pumpkin in the last 6 months.

Tottenham Stadium was a mistake.
    edited June 14
    Tjm007 said:
    Was at a sold out Tool show in the O2 last week - no hits, no radio airplay, just a great band in the right venue at the right ticket price.

see also QotsA  and Weezer/Smashing Pumpkin in the last 6 months.

Tottenham Stadium was a mistake.
    Yeah definitely a mistake trying to sell those size venues in Europe-they have always been an arena band over here. They could put on a Spurs match in the afternoon and sell the place out, then the crowd might stay on for Pearl Jam!
  • Weston1283Weston1283 Fredericksburg, VA Posts: 4,807
    They are eventually going to have to switch to a tiered pricing system for Arenas and larger venues.  No one wants to spend 150+ for an upper deck seat.  Simple as that.  

I'll spend hundreds on a lower bowl seat if I have to, but my MAX for upper deck for anyone is at about 75 bucks
    2010: Cleveland
    2012: Atlanta
    2013: London ONT / Wrigley Field / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / San Diego / Los Angeles I / Los Angeles II
    2014: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Detroit / Denver
    2015: New York City
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale / Miami / Jacksonville / Greenville / Hampton / Columbia / Lexington / Philly II / New York City II / Toronto II / Bonnaroo / Telluride / Fenway I / Wrigley I / Wrigley - II / TOTD - Philadelphia, San Francisco
    2017: Ohana Fest (EV)
    2018: Amsterdam I / Amsterdam II / Seattle I / Seattle II / Boston I / Boston II
    2021: Asbury Park / Ohana Encore 1 / Ohana Encore 2
    2022: Phoenix / LA I / LA II / Quebec City / Ottawa / New York City / Camden / Nashville / St. Louis / Denver
    2023: St. Paul II
    2024: Las Vegas I / Las Vegas II / New York City I / New York City II / Philly I / Philly II / Baltimore
  • PJammer4lifePJammer4life Los Angeles Posts: 2,641
    drfox said:
    beano.79 said:
    drfox said:

Same author a month later….. and it’s a “smash”
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/hughmcintyre/2024/06/06/pearl-jam-scores-two-new-top-10-hits-with-their-latest-smash/
    Bridge Benefit 1994, San Francisco 1995, San Diego 1995 1 & 2, Missoula 1998, Los Angeles 2000, San Diego 2000, Eddie Vedder/Beck 2/26/2002, Santa Barbara 2003, Irvine 2003, San Diego 2003, Vancouver 2005, Gorge 2005, San Diego 2006, Los Angeles 2006 1 & 2, Santa Barbara 2006, Eddie Vedder 4/10/08, Eddie Vedder 4/12/08, Eddie Vedder 4/15/08, 7/12/2008, SF 8/28/09, LA 9/30/09, LA 10/1/09, LA 10/06/09, LA 10/07/09, San Diego 10/09/09, Eddie Vedder 7/6/2011, Eddie Vedder 7/8/2011, PJ20 9/3/2011, PJ20 9/4/2011, Vancouver 9/25/2011, San Diego 11/21/13, LA 11/24/13, Ohana 9/25/21, Ohana 9/26/21, Ohana 10/1/21, EV 2/17/22, LA Forum 5/6/22, LA Forum 5/7/22, EV 10/1/22, EV 9/30/23
    edited June 14
    drfox said:
    beano.79 said:
    drfox said:

Same author a month later….. and it’s a “smash”
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/hughmcintyre/2024/06/06/pearl-jam-scores-two-new-top-10-hits-with-their-latest-smash/
    Interesting. The album doesn’t seam to be faring as well as the singles though. Not like days of old, people can just buy one song, so good single sales may not indicate good album sales. Don’t know how those songs are doing in Europe also. 
  • Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 11,036
    They are eventually going to have to switch to a tiered pricing system for Arenas and larger venues.  No one wants to spend 150+ for an upper deck seat.  Simple as that.  

I'll spend hundreds on a lower bowl seat if I have to, but my MAX for upper deck for anyone is at about 75 bucks
    Agreed. There's no way I would willingly pay these prices for upper level, and if 10C put me up there w/ fanclub seats I would be ripshit. 

It will be interesting to see how they move forward.
  • HaijayHaijay Posts: 374

Haijay said:

Plenty of tickets on Ticketmaster for Marlay 
  • pdalowskypdalowsky Posts: 15,043
    If they switched the show to the 02 at this point how would that work logistically? Is that even feasible at this point?
  • BlueLedbetterBlueLedbetter Posts: 1,292
    pdalowsky said:
    If they switched the show to the 02 at this point how would that work logistically? Is that even feasible at this point?
    Surely they have sold more than the O2 capacity?
    pdalowsky said:
    Impossible I would guess
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07