Options

Running is out !

Comments

• Options
    BF25394BF25394 Posts: 3,535
    tbergs said:
    Well, people that don't like it or not thrilled about how it sounds aren't bitching, they're expressing their opinion based on what they like/don't like. They may also change that opinion at some point. Big deal.

Do you tell someone who doesn't like a particular food you like to quit bitching and just give it a few more times ordering it? The angriest people on here always seem to be the one's who are upset everyone doesn't just praise everything. There are also legitimate lifetime bitchers who never like anything that doesn't sound like Ten, and yes, those people are annoying, but I'm not seeing that reading through the comments on here. Just people expressing if the song is their jam. Civil discourse is ok and healthy.

I don't love the analogy. Most songs that people like grow on them over time.

Years ago, there was a radio station in Boston that had the slogan, "Songs you know by artists you've heard of." This always made me laugh because every song, even your favorite song of all-time, was at one time a song you'd never heard, possibly by an artist you'd never heard of. If your attitude was that you only want to hear songs you know by artists you've heard of-- which this station's format and slogan reflected the reality that this is how many people get, especially as they get older-- you would have never given your favorite song of all-time any attention.
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,040
    Feels like we've heard this one before. Kinda cut from the same cloth as Supersonic or Superblood Wolfmoon and maybe a few others. And like Dark Matter, I can't understand a word he's saying. But, lot of energy and some cool guitars. Besides Lukin and throwaway stuff like Pry, To, is this the shortest PJ song?
    I was curious when you asked. I thought MFC might be shorter, but it's actually 8 seconds longer. And I love MFC. 
  • Options
    CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,274
    CROJAM95 said:
    as someone mentioned earlier, as the second single its a mind fuck a bit........was probably expecting something else, less punky song off the record. I also believe because Dark Matter was a big hit, they prob threw this in as a change up

I like the song, but if i was to believe this would be top 5 off the record, id say we were in trouble......I dont believe it will be
    It just may be in the top 5

• Options
    OfThePearlOfThePearl Posts: 666
    I can only think of one PJ song Ever, that didn't sound better live, than on the record. So I just have to go to as many shows as I can. Fortunately its been many.

I haven't been too excited about what I've heard so far (this album), but I'm Very excited about the upcoming shows. I'm always open to and hopeful for new music, but its hard to match my love for the favorites I already have.
  • Options
    I can only think of one PJ song Ever, that didn't sound better live, than on the record. So I just have to go to as many shows as I can. Fortunately its been many.

I haven't been too excited about what I've heard so far (this album), but I'm Very excited about the upcoming shows. I'm always open to and hopeful for new music, but its hard to match my love for the favorites I already have.
    Is it "Getaway"? Because that song never landed live, and it seemed pretty obvious that the band felt that way about it, and that it was why they rarely played it.
  • Options
    Edved82Edved82 Ireland Posts: 1,257
    I don't know any production terms either. But both these singles feel very rigid and you can almost see it being separate elements put together and tinkered with on a timeline by a producer. And crammed up/brickwalled... Like there is no feel of "room" or space. That is what I would consider "over produced" if anything.

Compared to how Riot Act breathes. Like it was recorded live, in a room and not created layer by later by a producer on a computer. And also not crammed up like a wall hitting you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdQuJ1-5LKI

Or Neil Youngs Broken Arrow which is the sound I wish one PJ album would get in the discography:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_Esd97Cn9M

But I have had the same feeling from Backspacer and forward. Even the studio version of Just Breathe cut's into my ears like it's crammed up to peak. SO I GUESS IT'S JUST ME.

Definitely not just you, mate. I don't mind the two new songs but I really don't like the polished production. It just seems to have a sort of "sheeny" sound to it, the same as the new Stones record (also produced by Watt). Obviously the band are into it but I'm sure as hell not. Still stoked for the album because songs always sound better in the context of an album, for me. But I'm really longing for the days of Riot Act and Binaural right now.
    "...though my problems are meaningless....that don't make them go away...."
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,386
    I like it
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,200
    Was hard to not just repeat the song over and over walking home from work. Has some type of fun MYM it-factor to it. Even with these type of "fast and short punkish songs with Eddie barely hanging on" are not what I think PJ excels at. I think they work much better with mood. 

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,573

Can think of few that sound better on the record off the top of my head, but there aren't many.  

1)  I Got Id
    2)  Brain of J
    3) Getaway
    4)  Pilate

• Options
    ZoSoTimZoSoTim Posts: 642
    Was hard to not just repeat the song over and over walking home from work. Has some type of fun MYM it-factor to it. Even with these type of "fast and short punkish songs with Eddie barely hanging on" are not what I think PJ excels at. I think they work much better with mood. 

Can’t be that good if it didn’t make you run. 
    Dallas, TX (November 15, 2013)
    Chicago 1 (August 20, 2016)
    Chicago 2 (August 22, 2016)
    Ft. Worth 1 (September 13, 2023)
    Ft. Worth 2 (September 15, 2023)
  • Options
    THEBIBLEISTENTHEBIBLEISTEN Posts: 1,704
    i like they released the lyrics in the email. 
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,555
    It’s okay to love this band, have tickets to multiple shows and still be excited for the album while admitting this song is awful. Dark Matter is a solid track but this song is a mess. Not sure what possessed them to release this as a 2nd single. The production of both tracks has me concerned  more than anything, hoping Watt didn’t butcher the whole album. Anyway just my 2 cents, hopefully others are enjoying it. 
    Yeah a Grammy award winning producer who has worked with huge artists and is in high demand would butcher the whole record. Wtf? You people need to relax. Never seen a fan base ruin and dissect every little thing a band does to take the joy out it. People bitching about shipping rates, record cost, song production, drums, vocals, seat selection, city selection, tix prices, t shirt size, poster design etc.  this post is not directed to you last exit just an overall rant to the negativity on here.  Ok, I’m done. Carry on with the bitching 

here’s the thing….I was a fan from the beginning. I joined this forum 10 years in (I think). every single album through avocado was brilliant. that was halfway through the band’s existence. since then (the second half), they’ve released 3 average at best albums. dark matter could well be the fourth. the band spoiled the shit out of me for 16 years. since then, their “work” has gone way downhill while they seem to want to squeeze every last dime out of their fans. after BS and LB, I thought they should probably hang it up. PJ will be remembered as a legendary band and will always have a place in my heart (as long as I don’t focus on their recent money grubbing) but I think they have run their course. they’re still talented musicians but the well of creativity seems to have run dry.

I think I’m only still around so I can talk shit about sports in the AET.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    BrainofBGABrainofBGA Australia Posts: 3,993
    What the hell is the song about though?.....
    Plumbers and sewerage 
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
  • Options
    1STmammal2wearPants1STmammal2wearPants Worcester, MA Posts: 2,840
    I didn't like Dark Matter at first, but I think it was the initial mix where Eddie's vocals were buried in the guitars. I have the melody stuck in my head all week. It's hard-charging with a feel of 1990s meets 2020s. 

Not sure if I can ever remember Running fully in my head. Not a huge fan of the punk stuff as of the last few albums. But the bass @ the beginning is amazing.
    2003 Mansfield III 
    2004 Boston I 
    2006 Boston I 
    2008 Bonnaroo, Hartford, Mansfield I 
    2010 Hartford 
    2013 Worcester I, Worcester II, Hartford 
    2016 Bonnaroo, Boston I, Boston II 
    2018 Boston I, Boston II 
    2021 Sea.Hear.Now
    2022 Camden
    2024 Boston I, Boston II
  • Options
    THEBIBLEISTENTHEBIBLEISTEN Posts: 1,704
    Wobbie said:
    It’s okay to love this band, have tickets to multiple shows and still be excited for the album while admitting this song is awful. Dark Matter is a solid track but this song is a mess. Not sure what possessed them to release this as a 2nd single. The production of both tracks has me concerned  more than anything, hoping Watt didn’t butcher the whole album. Anyway just my 2 cents, hopefully others are enjoying it. 
    Yeah a Grammy award winning producer who has worked with huge artists and is in high demand would butcher the whole record. Wtf? You people need to relax. Never seen a fan base ruin and dissect every little thing a band does to take the joy out it. People bitching about shipping rates, record cost, song production, drums, vocals, seat selection, city selection, tix prices, t shirt size, poster design etc.  this post is not directed to you last exit just an overall rant to the negativity on here.  Ok, I’m done. Carry on with the bitching 

here’s the thing….I was a fan from the beginning. I joined this forum 10 years in (I think). every single album through avocado was brilliant. that was halfway through the band’s existence. since then (the second half), they’ve released 3 average at best albums. dark matter could well be the fourth. the band spoiled the shit out of me for 16 years. since then, their “work” has gone way downhill while they seem to want to squeeze every last dime out of their fans. after BS and LB, I thought they should probably hang it up. PJ will be remembered as a legendary band and will always have a place in my heart (as long as I don’t focus on their recent money grubbing) but I think they have run their course. they’re still talented musicians but the well of creativity seems to have run dry.

Everyone has an opinion just like you have an asshole. I don’t agree but it’s your right. It’s just exhausting how miserable and negative people are on here. It’s actually sad but again it’s your right to say what you want. I disagree as I thought Gigaton was a good record. I appreciate things for what they are. Ooh, I’ll say this, I thought sleeping by myself on LB was weak. It was already on Ed’s solo record. 
  • Options
    se7v7ense7v7en Philadelphia, PA Posts: 328
    Wobbie said:

Everyone has an opinion just like you have an asshole. I don’t agree but it’s your right. It’s just exhausting how miserable and negative people are on here. It’s actually sad but again it’s your right to say what you want. I disagree as I thought Gigaton was a good record. I appreciate things for what they are. Ooh, I’ll say this, I thought sleeping by myself on LB was weak. It was already on Ed’s solo record. 
    Yes, and I don't understand the assumption that the band is just making records for money grabs....I also thought Gigaton was phenomenal.  I still enjoy it more than some of the albums in the first half of their career that Wobbie deems legit.  I understand why this particular song is not landing with some, but it is landing with many others as well. I think that's to be expected when receiving new music from a band over 30 years in.
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,555
    Wobbie said:

and I don’t mean to be debbie downer. it’s just how I feel. I’m happy for those who have liked the last three albums. I guess they ARE “creative” but they’re no longer my thing. that said, I’d be shocked if the last three albums weren’t the lowest three rated (in whatever order) if a poll were taken on this board (which probably has happened). I’m glad you all like “second half” PJ.

I’ll head back to the AET and discuss sports and food.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,685
    Gigaton was worst record, imo, and I like Dark Matter.
    Don't like Running, yet. But I do like that it rocks and I think it could grow on me.  
    Hopeful that this album will be way better than Gigaton based on 1st two songs

@Wobbie, keep on keeping on. Glad you are still here.  I like BS and LB (first half of it, at least).
    Gigaton?  Nope.

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,685
    edited March 23
    se7v7en said:
    Wobbie said:

Yes, and I don't understand the assumption that the band is just making records for money grabs....I also thought Gigaton was phenomenal.  I still enjoy it more than some of the albums in the first half of their career that Wobbie deems legit.  I understand why this particular song is not landing with some, but it is landing with many others as well. I think that's to be expected when receiving new music from a band over 30 years in.
    I'm #TeamWob when it comes to first half of records destroying anything that came after.  (I would actually say First Five.)

Post edited by F Me In The Brain on
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,486
    Running by Pearl Jam is #2 on iTunes rock songs chart. https://apple.co/3vvkhpS
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,274
    Saying the 2nd half of their career isn’t as good is like saying your 25 year old self satisfied your wife more than your 60 year old ass 

kinda of flat, in alll kind of ways

take it for what it’s worth, I’m not in love with every track… love going to shows, having a beer, saying hi to people, seeing different places and reminiscing 

• Options

• Options
    se7v7ense7v7en Philadelphia, PA Posts: 328
    se7v7en said:
    Wobbie said:

I'm #TeamWob when it comes to first half of records destroying anything that came after.  (I would actually say First Five.)

First half in terms of years (through Avacoda) was how he categorized it.  I too like the 1st five albums the most, but I have Gigaton ahead of the rest.  
  • Options
    iOnlyownMymindiOnlyownMymind Posts: 2,572
    se7v7en said:
    se7v7en said:
    Wobbie said:

First half in terms of years (through Avacoda) was how he categorized it.  I too like the 1st five albums the most, but I have Gigaton ahead of the rest.  
    I go first 7+ Lost Dogs, Avocado a step down, and then everything else significantly below with Gigaton at the bottom. 
  • Options
    lastexit78lastexit78 Posts: 615
    Wobbie said:

I’m sort of where you are although I don’t think they are in it for the money. I just think the well ran dry sometime around Avocado. Although Ed managed Into The Wild during that stretch which is probably better than any PJ release since Riot Act. I’m just thankful and appreciative they are still around and touring, I don’t care to get into these long debates about new material or even tickets at this point. Going to 4 shows and will enjoy each immensely. I’ll buy the album, find a handful of songs I connect with and move on with my life. People defend every song here like it’s their own child. They aren’t following up Yield or something here, the bar isn’t what it used to be. 
    06/22/95, 11/04/95, 11/15/97, 07/16/98, 10/30/99, 10/30/00, 10/31/00, 10/20/01, 10/21/01, 12/08/02, 06/01/03, 06/06/03, 10/25/03, 10/26/03, 09/28/04, 03/18/05, 09/01/05, 07/15/06, 07/16/06, 07/18/06, 07/22/06, 07/23/06, 10/21/06, 10/22/06, 08/28/09, 09/21/09, 09/22/09, 05/20/10, 05/21/10, 10/24/10, 11/26/13, 12/06/13, 06/28/14, 10/26/14, 07/10/18, 08/10/18, 10/02/21, 
  • Options
    Yes, all they care about is making money-- that's why they haven't played more than 36 shows in a calendar year since 2006. Give me a break.

Look, everyone is entitled to their opinion, and the opinions are genuine and sincere. I don't question that. But there is an element in a lot of instances where it's not that the band's music is appreciably different in quality than it was twenty or thirty years ago, it's that the listeners are different than they were twenty or thirty years ago. (Not that there are different people in the fan base, but that the people in the fan base have a different relationship to music than they did when they were much younger.) I firmly believe that if the band dropped Vitalogy today, people here would hate it. And if they released an album that sounded exactly like Gigaton in 1998, people would have loved it.

• Options
    devonfzdevonfz Posts: 151
    its like all the whiny little bitches from "oh no the tickets are too expensive " page have migrated over here

I think running is pretty fucking good!

dark matter is good!

our band keeps putting out music and touring!

i think gigaton is pretty good

never thought I would say this but would really like to hear 7 o'clock again live...

i like almost everything they have done in the 2000's and the tours have been by far the best / not wishing for 1998 for me I loved seeing them 2023 rock in Austin they look great  cant wait for this year!!!

• Options
    vedpunkvedpunk Posts: 839
    devonfz said:
    its like all the whiny little bitches from "oh no the tickets are too expensive " page have migrated over here

dark matter is good!

never thought I would say this but would really like to hear 7 o'clock again live...

i like almost everything they have done in the 2000's and the tours have been by far the best / not wishing for 1998 for me I loved seeing them 2023 rock in Austin they look great  cant wait for this year!!!

💯 
  • Options
    SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,733
    +1
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,960
    devonfz said:

dark matter is good!

Whiny little  bitches?   It’s ok to express opinions about a bands music.  That’s what a forum is for.  You like running, great!  I don’t, great.  They are still my favorite band.  It’s ok to not like almost everything since 2000. 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......