Comments

• Options
    Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 7,013
    BSully said:
    It is a short song isn't it?
    Wish it were shorter 

• Options
    schaefferlaxschaefferlax Posts: 185
    It’s not good. Don’t want to hear this one one tour. Dark Matter bangs tho. 
    Wrigley 7/19/2013
    Philadelphia 10/22/2013
    Baltimore 10/27/2013
    Hampton 4/18/2016
    Ft. Worth 9/13/2023
    Ft. Worth 9/15/2023
  • Options
    BSullyBSully Indiana Posts: 1,080
    BSully said:
    It is a short song isn't it?
    Wish it were shorter 
    Dang... the hate.
    1998: Noblesville, IN 08-17
    2000: Noblesville, IN 08-18
    2003: Noblesville, IN 06-22
    2006: Cincinnati, OH 06-24
    2010: Noblesville, IN 05-07
    2016: Lexington, KY 04-26, Wrigley Field 2 08-22
    2018: Wrigley Field 1 08-18, Wrigley Field 2 08-20
    2022: St. Louis, MO 09-18
    2024: Noblesville, IN 08-26, Wrigley Field 1 08-29, Wrigley Field 2 08-31
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,150
    Reminds me of backspacer and the Fixer.
  • Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,884
    Song is decent at best imo. But the production is terrible to my ears. This was my biggest fear when I heard watt was producing. I was hoping this album sounded more like gigatons production but with better songs. Can’t have it all I guess. 
  • Options
    se7v7ense7v7en Philadelphia, PA Posts: 328
    I was meh on the song yesterday, but something with it clicked this morning and it just tears!  Jeff's baseline is so thick and really contrasts with Mike's playing.  Matt is killing it too.  I kind of see the comparisons to some of the previously released punk songs (Supersonic, Ole, etc...), but I think it has more texture then those do.  I liken it more to Hail Hail or Whipping.  The juxtaposition of the controlled melodic bridge with the the chaotic verse that proceeds it is my favorite part.
  • Options
    lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 12,257
    I dont hear hail hail or whipping. The more i repeat listen the more I don't like watts style. I won't get all neg which i do easily. But i fear for this album when the dust settles
     Again just my take 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    bicyclejoebicyclejoe USA Posts: 1,182
    Good take. Honest take.
    My Pearl Jam Road: 10/22/90 Seattle | 12/22/90 Seattle, Moore Theater | 9/29/92 Seattle, Magnusson Park, Drop in the Park | 9/5/93 The Gorge, with Neil Young and Blind Melon | 7/20/06 Portland, Arlene Schnitzer Concert Hall with Sleater-Kinney | 7/22/06 The Gorge, 10/21/06 Mountain View, Shoreline Ampitheatre, Bridge School Benefit | 9/21/09 Seattle | 9/22/09 Seattle | 9/26/09 Portland, OR | 7/14/2011 Eddie Vedder, Portland, OR | 11/29/13 Portland, OR
  • Options
    brookelilybrookelily Bethel Park, PA Posts: 236
    I always find these reactions so interesting. You wouldn’t think nearly as many people still listen to Pearl Jam for the lyrics and catchy melodies as there appears to be. They’re obviously not and haven’t been a pop band for quite some time. There’s a lot of really cool stuff from these first two tracks happening musically though. The bridge and outro in this song in particular is fantastic. 
    This
    8/16/92
    9/24/96, 9/28/96
    8/25/98, 9/18/98
    9/5/00
    4/26/03
    6/23/06
    10/28/09
    10/11/13, 10/12/13
    10/1/14
    9/2/18, 9/4/18
    9/18/21
  • Options
    jimjam1982jimjam1982 AZ Posts: 1,308
    edited March 22
    After more listens, it caught on for me much faster then Dark Matter, I was pretty hooked and listened about 30 times right away.  My favorite uptempo song since Go. 

The opening 10 seconds or so of just Jeff and Matt is all sorts of awesome. The 1:30 mark, whatever that is called maybe bridge - i dunno - just a cool little mild break in the tempo. 

Feels like Go/Comatose/Lukin/Brain of J made a man child and this is the result.

Unlike SBWM from Gigaton - this song should be a banger live.  

I too feel like some over production probably on studio but I don't listen to studio albums from PJ once live boots are out so doesn't really bother me. Feel like the production concerns go out the window when it's in your face
  • Options
    CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,303
    as someone mentioned earlier, as the second single its a mind fuck a bit........was probably expecting something else, less punky song off the record. I also believe because Dark Matter was a big hit, they prob threw this in as a change up

I like the song, but if i was to believe this would be top 5 off the record, id say we were in trouble......I dont believe it will be
  • Options
    cweeks1111cweeks1111 Posts: 158
    I'm hearing a lot of "Good and Evil" from "Earthling" in this track.
  • Options
    BloodMeridian80BloodMeridian80 Seattle Posts: 608
    Feels like we've heard this one before. Kinda cut from the same cloth as Supersonic or Superblood Wolfmoon and maybe a few others. And like Dark Matter, I can't understand a word he's saying. But, lot of energy and some cool guitars. Besides Lukin and throwaway stuff like Pry, To, is this the shortest PJ song?
    It may be. It’s a bit shorter than God’s Dice and Comatose. They do have a few songs that ring in at 2:30 and a bit less.
  • Options
    GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 10,064
    I like Running. I think it is really catchy. I just wish the vocals were a little more forward - but it could be due to listening on my phone. I will reserve full judgement until I have the record on my turntable. 
  • Options
    ^ i listened @ Midnight when it appeared in my Apple Music  thru my Sonos Atmos......Its better than the MP3 from yesterday, but the vocals still buried, especially at the end....
  • Options
    SpagsSpags Leigh-on-Sea, UK Posts: 2,960
    What the hell is the song about though?.....
    I’ve only listen a couple of times, but I think it’s about politics.
    Nature drunk and High
  • Options
    DragonsAfter3or4DragonsAfter3or4 Bluegrass Posts: 325
    Meh
  • Options
    Meh
    Actually, this is the first time I'm thinking about not just automatically buying a new PJ album at the record shop the day it comes out. Completist or no, I may need to check it out on Apple Music before forking over $35 for the vinyl. Even after several listens, Running really has me discouraged. 
    My Pearl Jam Road: 10/22/90 Seattle | 12/22/90 Seattle, Moore Theater | 9/29/92 Seattle, Magnusson Park, Drop in the Park | 9/5/93 The Gorge, with Neil Young and Blind Melon | 7/20/06 Portland, Arlene Schnitzer Concert Hall with Sleater-Kinney | 7/22/06 The Gorge, 10/21/06 Mountain View, Shoreline Ampitheatre, Bridge School Benefit | 9/21/09 Seattle | 9/22/09 Seattle | 9/26/09 Portland, OR | 7/14/2011 Eddie Vedder, Portland, OR | 11/29/13 Portland, OR
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,304
    edited March 22
    I think the songs are good so far, but I did like Gigaton singles more when they came out and really like that album. I'm a big fan of the bridge on both singles so far. Best parts of the songs for me.

I'm mostly struggling with the production and after hearing Earthlings and now these 2 singles, I'm coming to a realization that Andrew Watt doesn't do it for me. I'm thankful he got them in the studio and pushed them, but I much preferred Josh Evans and what he did.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    tbergs said:
    I think the songs are good so far, but I did like Gigaton singles more when they came out and really like that album. I'm a big fan of the bridge on both singles so far. Best parts of the songs for me.

I'm mostly struggling with the production and after hearing Earthlings and now these 2 singles, I'm coming to a realization that Andrew Watt doesn't do it for me. I'm thankful he got them in the studio and pushed them, but I much preferred Josh Evans and what he did.
    Yeah, I'm struggling with the production too. 
  • Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,884
    tbergs said:

Couldn’t agree more with that last paragraph. 
  • Options
    GetRight13GetRight13 NY Posts: 586
    tbergs said:

This 100%  I went back to listen to who ever said after running last night, and the whole mix is just better on who ever said.  
    2023 Austin 1 & 2
    Ottawa 09/03
    MSG 1 & 2
    2013 Brooklyn (10/18, 10/19) Philadelphia (10/21, 10/22)
    2012 Atlanta 09/22
    2009 Albany 06/08 (Eddie Solo)
    2008 Bonnaroo 6/14
    2006 Albany 05/12
    2005 Philadelphia 10/03
    2000 Saratoga Springs 08/27
  • Options
    brookelilybrookelily Bethel Park, PA Posts: 236
    Not usually the type of PJ I enjoy most.  But the bridge and outro just fucking slay imo.  Digging this tune.

Big Sandy punk
    8/16/92
    9/24/96, 9/28/96
    8/25/98, 9/18/98
    9/5/00
    4/26/03
    6/23/06
    10/28/09
    10/11/13, 10/12/13
    10/1/14
    9/2/18, 9/4/18
    9/18/21
  • Options
    Force Of NatureForce Of Nature Hertfordshire, England Posts: 953
    For those struggling with the production:
    dumb it down for me, what is it you dont like? Is it stuff like Eds voice not loud enough, drums not clear etc?

Does that take away from the song for you?
    How do you feel at live shows where venues can affect the quality of sound?
  • Options
    Watt has Charisma.....sounds like thats his IN with big acts...I too wasnt happy about the heavier songs on Earthling, tried to relisten last night......Power of Right/ Good & evil, like the songs but sound is Harsh
  • Options
    GetRight13GetRight13 NY Posts: 586
    dumb it down for me, what is it you dont like? Is it stuff like Eds voice not loud enough, drums not clear etc?

the whole thing sounds like a wall of sound with a wrapper of overproduction on top of it muffling the actual song, if that makes sense.  For me I think its mostly how the drums are mixed.    It doesnt take away from the song for me though.  I really like these songs and think they will be awesome live.  Really loveeee the drumming on this album so far!  
    2023 Austin 1 & 2
    Ottawa 09/03
    MSG 1 & 2
    2013 Brooklyn (10/18, 10/19) Philadelphia (10/21, 10/22)
    2012 Atlanta 09/22
    2009 Albany 06/08 (Eddie Solo)
    2008 Bonnaroo 6/14
    2006 Albany 05/12
    2005 Philadelphia 10/03
    2000 Saratoga Springs 08/27
  • Options
    CROJAM95 said:
    Watt has Charisma.....sounds like thats his IN with big acts...I too wasnt happy about the heavier songs on Earthling, tried to relisten last night......Power of Right/ Good & evil, like the songs but sound is Harsh
    Can you explain by what you mean by harsh?

I guess I'm naive to a lot of the production chat but for me they are angry heavy songs so I'd expect a harsh sound
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,041
    I have the same issue with DM and Running, Ed's voice.
    Not the way he sounds, but I just can't understand him and he seems drowned out. I don't know if that is production or what. But they have plenty of heavier songs where you can still clearly hear him sing.
    But here he just sounds more like backing vocals that you're supposed to karaoke too.
  • Options

the whole thing sounds like a wall of sound with a wrapper of overproduction on top of it muffling the actual song, if that makes sense.  For me I think its mostly how the drums are mixed.    It doesnt take away from the song for me though.  I really like these songs and think they will be awesome live.  Really loveeee the drumming on this album so far!  
    Not sure it does make sense.
    "wall of sound" - do you mean difficult to hear the individual instruments and all blended into one sound?

"Wrapper of overproduction" - Does this mean it sounds too clean, not like a band of guys playing live but direct input of instruments into the mix?

"how the drums are mixed" - what about it? Cant clearly hear them?

Sorry for all the question, i'm hearing a lot about production at the moment and not too clear what peoples issues are with it.
    The thing I found was difficult to pick out stuff like the bass and some drums, is that what you mean by 'wall of sound' maybe.
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    I have the same issue with DM and Running, Ed's voice.
    Not the way he sounds, but I just can't understand him and he seems drowned out. I don't know if that is production or what. But they have plenty of heavier songs where you can still clearly hear him sing.
    But here he just sounds more like backing vocals that you're supposed to karaoke too.
    I assume its intentional to lower him in the mix, maybe with a heavy album and an aging voice its better to be lower