Comments

• Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,473
    edited March 22
    BF25394 said:
    BF25394 said:
    CROJAM95 said:
    CROJAM95 said:
    Watt has Charisma.....sounds like thats his IN with big acts...I too wasnt happy about the heavier songs on Earthling, tried to relisten last night......Power of Right/ Good & evil, like the songs but sound is Harsh
    Can you explain by what you mean by harsh?

I guess I'm naive to a lot of the production chat but for me they are angry heavy songs so I'd expect a harsh sound
    Muddled, no room to breathe, confined, abrasive

vs/vitalogy have heavy songs, they sound BALANCED....I guess where he has the guitars in the mix isnt appealing to my ears 
    But those albums don't sound alike at all. Vitalogy has a very low-fi sound. Vs. is very crisp. And both are departures from Ten, which is slick and overproduced.
    I would not say Ten is overproduced. It's produced, with a clear sonic identity. But that production makes that album into what it is and the songs gel. And helped it be a hit for sure.

Don't see why it would be overproduced.
    The band is on the record about it being overproduced. It's slathered in reverb, for one thing. They had Brendan O'Brien remix and remaster it for the box set because they thought it needed it.

EDIT: The always-wise kmcmanus beat me to this observation.
    The band being on record and BoB remixing doesn't matter in context of my opinion. Just like James Cameron saying Terminator 2 should be wiped of it's inherit grain and be slathered in teal 25 years later, doesn't matter one bit.

Stand by your piece of art as it was when you once released it onto the world.

The album should have been respected for what it was, and BoB shouldn't have remixed it (in my opinion). At least they still "offer" the original version, which was and is levelheaded and nice.
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,318
    When I focus in on Ed work headphones on, I can make out almost all the lyrics except the end, which is basically inaudible besides when he says "fuck" (at least I think he does :lol:).

I do like the little vocal fills he adds at times and I get The Fixer reference after hearing the "Yeah, yeah, yeah" parts before the verse. All in all, good song, even if a little wall of sound-ish. I think a good live version properly mixed will shine for this song. I remember hearing Binaural songs live and being completely blown away about how much more alive they sounded. Mt. Baker recordings on the early versions were superb.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    spankyMPspankyMP NY to NC to NH Posts: 1,340
    ry75guy said:
     It totally sucks for those who aren't digging it. The hype of a new PJ album only to not love it would be such a let down. I really hope there will be some songs you'll love. Because there's nothing like hearing a new song by them that reminds you of how amazing they are. 
    Agreed. I can’t understand shelving it after a couple of listens. There are so many layers and nuance(?) to most of their songs that you only pick up on after multiple listens. I remember pointing out a guitar part on Alive to my friends years ago and they hadn’t picked up on it until I started mimicking it. I think it’s stone’s part during the chorus just as/after Ed sings “still alive.” Just a few notes, but It still stands out to me so much today. I’m already picking up little drum changes near the end of Dark Matter or how the bass peaks(?) around the 1:35 mark. Now with running there are parts that I’m picking up on that stand out. Heck, lyrics that didn’t hit home with me at age 20 are hitting differently all these years later. Moral of the story, don’t give up on them. If you shelved something even years ago, give it another listen.
    Randall's Island 9/29/96, Continental Arena 9/8/98, MSG 9/10/98, Jones Beach 8/23/00, 8/24/00, 8/25/00, Nassau Coliseum 4/30/03, MSG 7/8/03, 7/9/03, Continental Arena 6/1/06, 6/3/06, MSG 6/24/08, 6/25/08, Spectrum 10/30/09, 10/31/09, MSG 5/20/10, 5/21/10, PJ20 9/3/11, 9/4/11, Charlottesville 10/29/13, Charlotte 10/30/13, Global Citizen 9/26/15, Raleigh 4/20/16 :( Baltimore 3/28/20 :( Austin 9/18/23, 9/19/23, Forum 5/21/24, Baltimore 9/12/24, Fenway 9/17/24
  • Options
    BF25394BF25394 Posts: 3,851
    kmcmanus said:
    BF25394 said:
    CROJAM95 said:
    CROJAM95 said:
    Watt has Charisma.....sounds like thats his IN with big acts...I too wasnt happy about the heavier songs on Earthling, tried to relisten last night......Power of Right/ Good & evil, like the songs but sound is Harsh

I guess I'm naive to a lot of the production chat but for me they are angry heavy songs so I'd expect a harsh sound

vs/vitalogy have heavy songs, they sound BALANCED....I guess where he has the guitars in the mix isnt appealing to my ears 
    But those albums don't sound alike at all. Vitalogy has a very low-fi sound. Vs. is very crisp. And both are departures from Ten, which is slick and overproduced.
    I would not say Ten is overproduced. It's produced, with a clear sonic identity. But that production makes that album into what it is and the songs gel. And helped it be a hit for sure.

The band HAS said it’s overproduced. And then had BoB remix it, proving that they do indeed think so.
    I don't care what they indeed think. Just like I don't care about George Lucas thinking CGI-effects all over 1977s Star Wars is correct. Whatever he HAS said.

Also, another thing - I think the band should have stood by the album and not tinker with it 20 years later and have another producer, BoB, remix it. Respect the producer and the piece of art that was made in a time and should be respected as part of it's time. 
    I'm not saying you have to agree with it. The point is that it's not a fringe opinion that Ten was overproduced. Whether they "should have" stood by the album or not, they expressed some dissatisfaction with it. For many Pearl Jam fans for whom it is the album that turned them on to the band, it doesn't make sense because they wouldn't change a thing about the album. I understand that. For other fans who feel that their next two albums were obvious improvements, it's easier to relate to the criticism.
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • Options
    BF25394BF25394 Posts: 3,851
    tbergs said:
    When I focus in on Ed work headphones on, I can make out almost all the lyrics except the end, which is basically inaudible besides when he says "fuck" (at least I think he does :lol:).

I do like the little vocal fills he adds at times and I get The Fixer reference after hearing the "Yeah, yeah, yeah" parts before the verse. All in all, good song, even if a little wall of sound-ish. I think a good live version properly mixed will shine for this song. I remember hearing Binaural songs live and being completely blown away about how much more alive they sounded. Mt. Baker recordings on the early versions were superb.
    The lyrics and vocals-- shouted outro aside-- really are pretty obvious once you see them in print. They do not sound garbled or unintelligible at all once you know what they are. (I know this is a "Captain Obvious" observation, but people who are complaining that they can't understand the words must not be aware that the words are available to be read.)
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • Options
    lastexit78lastexit78 Posts: 617
    edited March 22
    It’s okay to love this band, have tickets to multiple shows and still be excited for the album while admitting this song is awful. Dark Matter is a solid track but this song is a mess. Not sure what possessed them to release this as a 2nd single. The production of both tracks has me concerned  more than anything, hoping Watt didn’t butcher the whole album. Anyway just my 2 cents, hopefully others are enjoying it. 
    06/22/95, 11/04/95, 11/15/97, 07/16/98, 10/30/99, 10/30/00, 10/31/00, 10/20/01, 10/21/01, 12/08/02, 06/01/03, 06/06/03, 10/25/03, 10/26/03, 09/28/04, 03/18/05, 09/01/05, 07/15/06, 07/16/06, 07/18/06, 07/22/06, 07/23/06, 10/21/06, 10/22/06, 08/28/09, 09/21/09, 09/22/09, 05/20/10, 05/21/10, 10/24/10, 11/26/13, 12/06/13, 06/28/14, 10/26/14, 07/10/18, 08/10/18, 10/02/21, 
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,637
    I like how people are bashing Watt because they can't understand Eddie's lyrics, like this is the first time you couldn't make out the lyrics.

Listened to both new songs on headphones via Apple Music and they are fucking bangers.  Love it.  Haven't loved a new PJ song in a while.  
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,637
    And this is the first time I've paid attention to the drums on a Matt Cameron record so good production or not, we can thank Watt for letting Cameron off his leash.
  • Options
    THEBIBLEISTENTHEBIBLEISTEN Posts: 1,728
    It’s okay to love this band, have tickets to multiple shows and still be excited for the album while admitting this song is awful. Dark Matter is a solid track but this song is a mess. Not sure what possessed them to release this as a 2nd single. The production of both tracks has me concerned  more than anything, hoping Watt didn’t butcher the whole album. Anyway just my 2 cents, hopefully others are enjoying it. 
    Yeah a Grammy award winning producer who has worked with huge artists and is in high demand would butcher the whole record. Wtf? You people need to relax. Never seen a fan base ruin and dissect every little thing a band does to take the joy out it. People bitching about shipping rates, record cost, song production, drums, vocals, seat selection, city selection, tix prices, t shirt size, poster design etc.  this post is not directed to you last exit just an overall rant to the negativity on here.  Ok, I’m done. Carry on with the bitching 
  • Options
    Yeah a Grammy award winning producer who has worked with huge artists and is in high demand would butcher the whole record. Wtf? You people need to relax. Never seen a fan base ruin and dissect every little thing a band does to take the joy out it. People bitching about shipping rates, record cost, song production, drums, vocals, seat selection, city selection, tix prices, t shirt size, poster design etc.  this post is not directed to you last exit just an overall rant to the negativity on here.  Ok, I’m done. Carry on with the bitching 
    +1. They have spoiled us for years and we are now spoiled.
    Randall's Island 9/29/96, Continental Arena 9/8/98, MSG 9/10/98, Jones Beach 8/23/00, 8/24/00, 8/25/00, Nassau Coliseum 4/30/03, MSG 7/8/03, 7/9/03, Continental Arena 6/1/06, 6/3/06, MSG 6/24/08, 6/25/08, Spectrum 10/30/09, 10/31/09, MSG 5/20/10, 5/21/10, PJ20 9/3/11, 9/4/11, Charlottesville 10/29/13, Charlotte 10/30/13, Global Citizen 9/26/15, Raleigh 4/20/16 :( Baltimore 3/28/20 :( Austin 9/18/23, 9/19/23, Forum 5/21/24, Baltimore 9/12/24, Fenway 9/17/24
  • Options
    77777777 Idaho Posts: 162
    It seems like there’s a lot of people here who don’t have Apple Music. I was able to download it on Apple Music.
  • Options
    SpartanacusSpartanacus Oviedo, FL Posts: 825
    No bueno.  I'm hoping this is my least favorite track on the album, but I'm concerned that this is their second release.    
    19 Pearl Jam shows and still searching for Deep!
    1998 (2) - East Lansing & Auburn Hills; 2000 (2) - Tampa & Noblesville; 2003 (2) - Lexington & Noblesville; 2006 (1) - Cincinnati; 2007 (1) - Chicago (Lollapalooza); 2008 (Ed in Milwaukee); 2009 (1) - Chicago; 2010 (1) - Noblesville; 2013 (3) - San Diego & Los Angeles I & II; 2016 (Temple of the Dog in Los Angeles); 2017 (Ed at Ohana in Dana Point);
    2021 (3) - Dana Point I, II & III; 2022 (3) - San Diego & Los Angeles I & II; 2025 - Southern U.S. Tour Please!
  • Options
    THEBIBLEISTENTHEBIBLEISTEN Posts: 1,728
    No bueno.  I'm hoping this is my least favorite track on the album, but I'm concerned that this is their second release.    
    Yellow Ledbetter was never a single 
  • Options
    droptheleash9droptheleash9 Posts: 1,363
    Found Jeff's burner account. 
  • Options
    ZoSoTimZoSoTim Posts: 730
    Don’t like the vocals. 
    Dallas, TX (November 15, 2013)
    Chicago 1 (August 20, 2016)
    Chicago 2 (August 22, 2016)
    Ft. Worth 1 (September 13, 2023)
    Ft. Worth 2 (September 15, 2023)
  • Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,925
    Found Jeff's burner account. 
    Nothing new here.
  • Options
    HaijayHaijay Posts: 353
    Oh, they will🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,318
    Well, people that don't like it or not thrilled about how it sounds aren't bitching, they're expressing their opinion based on what they like/don't like. They may also change that opinion at some point. Big deal.

Do you tell someone who doesn't like a particular food you like to quit bitching and just give it a few more times ordering it? The angriest people on here always seem to be the one's who are upset everyone doesn't just praise everything. There are also legitimate lifetime bitchers who never like anything that doesn't sound like Ten, and yes, those people are annoying, but I'm not seeing that reading through the comments on here. Just people expressing if the song is their jam. Civil discourse is ok and healthy.

It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,543
    edited March 22
    tbergs said:
    Well, people that don't like it or not thrilled about how it sounds aren't bitching, they're expressing their opinion based on what they like/don't like. They may also change that opinion at some point. Big deal.

Do you tell someone who doesn't like a particular food you like to quit bitching and just give it a few more times ordering it? The angriest people on here always seem to be the one's who are upset everyone doesn't just praise everything. There are also legitimate lifetime bitchers who never like anything that doesn't sound like Ten, and yes, those people are annoying, but I'm not seeing that reading through the comments on here. Just people expressing if the song is their jam. Civil discourse is ok and healthy.

Usually the same people. See it in the Facebook groups. It's almost always the usual suspects
    Post edited by igotid88 on
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    I think Andrew Watt is getting way too much blame here for how the songs sound. The band put this album together. They like the way it sounds. If they didn’t we wouldn’t be hearing it.
    looking to hear of the earth
  • Options
    kmcmanuskmcmanus Posts: 675
    igotid88 said:
    tbergs said:

Usually the sale people. See it in the Facebook groups. It's almost always the usual suspects
    There is a man in the FB groups that we have never and likely will never meet but my wife and I if we get cranky will tell each other “don’t be such a (insert name that people in the FB groups will probably guess on the first try)”.
    ”i’m tired”
    ”Stop being such a (name)”
  • Options
    ColaresiColaresi Posts: 9
    Big fan of the first two songs, but DM especially. Really excited for the album. There is a crossing back and forth between tight convergent, forward-driving playing and divergent but not dissonant, creativity to both songs that I think was largely missing (at least in the right balance for my tastes) since Avocado. There are plenty of songs I have enjoyed from recent albums but these guys together have an ability to combine, stray, and reconnect musically that is really unique for me.  We hear this live just about every show. On record it does not always manifest — even when they are writing great songs. For Running, that bridge is special, and the path to get there makes it so for me. But ymmv.
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,995
    tbergs said:

Agreed all around. 

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,995
    kmcmanus said:
    igotid88 said:
    tbergs said:

Usually the sale people. See it in the Facebook groups. It's almost always the usual suspects
    There is a man in the FB groups that we have never and likely will never meet but my wife and I if we get cranky will tell each other “don’t be such a (insert name that people in the FB groups will probably guess on the first try)”.
    ”i’m tired”
    This made me laugh and one name did instantly come to mind. 

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    vedpunkvedpunk Posts: 859
    edited March 22
    I really like Running but if they had went back to the bridge section instead of the very end where Eddie loses his voice this song would have been a massive win (and prevented future show cancellations) lol. 
    Post edited by vedpunk on
  • Options
    lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 12,597
    CROJAM95 said:
    as someone mentioned earlier, as the second single its a mind fuck a bit........was probably expecting something else, less punky song off the record. I also believe because Dark Matter was a big hit, they prob threw this in as a change up

I like the song, but if i was to believe this would be top 5 off the record, id say we were in trouble......I dont believe it will be
    It just may be in the top 5
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    kmcmanus said:
    igotid88 said:
    tbergs said:

”i’m tired”
    🤣 yes!
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,786
    BF25394 said:
    BF25394 said:
    CROJAM95 said:
    CROJAM95 said:

The band is on the record about it being overproduced. It's slathered in reverb, for one thing. They had Brendan O'Brien remix and remaster it for the box set because they thought it needed it.

EDIT: The always-wise kmcmanus beat me to this observation.
    The band being on record and BoB remixing doesn't matter in context of my opinion. Just like James Cameron saying Terminator 2 should be wiped of it's inherit grain and be slathered in teal 25 years later, doesn't matter one bit.

Stand by your piece of art as it was when you once released it onto the world.

The album should have been respected for what it was, and BoB shouldn't have remixed it (in my opinion). At least they still "offer" the original version, which was and is levelheaded and nice.

We're polar opposites on this one. I think the remix is a thousand times better and I've only listened to the original mix of Ten once since 2009 (in 2021 for the 30th anniversary, for old times sake) and it sounded like shit compared to the remix. I think the original mixes are still what get played on the radio though.

I do agree that still "offering" the original mix is a good thing, even if I don't want to listen to it. I hated when the only Star Wars DVD/Blu Rays you could get were the ones where Lucas made all those changes. 

I don't like remixing or "updating" things for the sake of it, so to a degree, I'm with you on the "Stand by your piece of art as it was when you once released it onto the world" idea. But on the other hand, if you can make something better without truly "changing" it (I'm looking at you, George Lucas), I say do it and make it better. The remixed Beatles albums from the past seven years are a perfect example. I will never listen to the old mixes again. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    bootlegbootleg Posts: 623
    I think people’s issue with the production probably boils down to the compression which unfortunately has been the trend in music over the last 20+ years.  The compression brings the loud parts down and brings the softer parts up.  Some compression is ok as it can help balance out some of the variation, but I would generally prefer the full dynamic range.  It doesn’t help that people are listening on all different types of devices and to formats of varying quality.  This song does sound different when I’ve tried differing sets of headphones and different sources of playing the audio.
  • Options
    bonebone Posts: 498
    edited March 22
    Don't like to bitch about new PJ music, but this was very underwhelming.  Likely their worst pre-release single ever.  Gave me the same first impression as the faster tunes on Earthling which isn't a good thing.

I'll still buy it and hope it grows on me as I don't hate those songs anymore, just don't love them, but Andrew Watt's fingerprints are clearly all over these first two singles.  

And why are they talking about a potato.  
    Post edited by bone on
    1993-08-12 - Edmonton, AB, Convention Centre
    2003-05-30 - Vancouver, BC, General Motors Place
    2005-09-04 - Calgary, AB, Pengrowth Saddledome
    2005-09-05 - Edmonton, AB, Rexall Place
    2009-08-08 - Calgary, AB, Canada Olympic Park
    2009-09-21 - Seattle, WA, Key Arena
    2009-09-22 - Seattle, WA, Key Arena
    2011-09-23 - Edmonton, AB, Rexall Place
    2013-11-30 - Spokane, WA, Spokane Arena