Options

Running is out !

Comments

• Options
    CarryTheZeroCarryTheZero Posts: 2,176
    Okay, so I heard Running through my phone speakers twice, but have listened multiple times at home through some solid speakers.

I’m really enjoying it. Love that bass line to start and Matt’s drumming. Super heavy at the end and that bridge is pretty awesome. Definitely not my favorite PJ song ever, but I enjoy it.

So happy the band still makes music. Only album I find myself never really putting on is Lightning Bolt. I love Avocado and Gigaton, and I enjoy Backspacer a whole lot. Vs. is tops for me, but I really do love Avocado and Gigaton. 
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,667
    Ha. 
    People can have opinions.  We don't all have to agree.

Obviously we all love Pearl Jam.
    That doesn't mean I can't think Gigaton wasn't a great record and is by far their bottom effort.

Anyway, look forward to hearing the next track.

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,667
    devonfz said:
    its like all the whiny little bitches from "oh no the tickets are too expensive " page have migrated over here

I think running is pretty fucking good!

dark matter is good!

our band keeps putting out music and touring!

i think gigaton is pretty good

never thought I would say this but would really like to hear 7 o'clock again live...

i like almost everything they have done in the 2000's and the tours have been by far the best / not wishing for 1998 for me I loved seeing them 2023 rock in Austin they look great  cant wait for this year!!!

I'll pay 5x for tickets, who cares.
    Doesn't mean a person can't have an opinion

• Options
    se7v7en said:
    se7v7en said:
    Wobbie said:
    It’s okay to love this band, have tickets to multiple shows and still be excited for the album while admitting this song is awful. Dark Matter is a solid track but this song is a mess. Not sure what possessed them to release this as a 2nd single. The production of both tracks has me concerned  more than anything, hoping Watt didn’t butcher the whole album. Anyway just my 2 cents, hopefully others are enjoying it. 
    Yeah a Grammy award winning producer who has worked with huge artists and is in high demand would butcher the whole record. Wtf? You people need to relax. Never seen a fan base ruin and dissect every little thing a band does to take the joy out it. People bitching about shipping rates, record cost, song production, drums, vocals, seat selection, city selection, tix prices, t shirt size, poster design etc.  this post is not directed to you last exit just an overall rant to the negativity on here.  Ok, I’m done. Carry on with the bitching 

here’s the thing….I was a fan from the beginning. I joined this forum 10 years in (I think). every single album through avocado was brilliant. that was halfway through the band’s existence. since then (the second half), they’ve released 3 average at best albums. dark matter could well be the fourth. the band spoiled the shit out of me for 16 years. since then, their “work” has gone way downhill while they seem to want to squeeze every last dime out of their fans. after BS and LB, I thought they should probably hang it up. PJ will be remembered as a legendary band and will always have a place in my heart (as long as I don’t focus on their recent money grubbing) but I think they have run their course. they’re still talented musicians but the well of creativity seems to have run dry.

I think I’m only still around so I can talk shit about sports in the AET.
    Everyone has an opinion just like you have an asshole. I don’t agree but it’s your right. It’s just exhausting how miserable and negative people are on here. It’s actually sad but again it’s your right to say what you want. I disagree as I thought Gigaton was a good record. I appreciate things for what they are. Ooh, I’ll say this, I thought sleeping by myself on LB was weak. It was already on Ed’s solo record. 
    Yes, and I don't understand the assumption that the band is just making records for money grabs....I also thought Gigaton was phenomenal.  I still enjoy it more than some of the albums in the first half of their career that Wobbie deems legit.  I understand why this particular song is not landing with some, but it is landing with many others as well. I think that's to be expected when receiving new music from a band over 30 years in.
    I'm #TeamWob when it comes to first half of records destroying anything that came after.  (I would actually say First Five.)

First half in terms of years (through Avacoda) was how he categorized it.  I too like the 1st five albums the most, but I have Gigaton ahead of the rest.  
    Cool.  I like that some enjoy Gig that much.  I argued (and still do) on behalf of BS.  Most crap on it.
    All good!
  • Options
    CarryTheZeroCarryTheZero Posts: 2,176
    BS is a great album! It’s a fun, short blast. Wish I had seen more of that tour. Only caught the 2012 Atlanta show, but got to hear 5 songs there!
  • Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,468
    Ha. 

That doesn't mean I can't think Gigaton wasn't a great record and is by far their bottom effort.

I think it's more about when they're making out to be the worst song ever. And the nitpicking. "It's too overproduced. Under produced. Too many words. Not enough words. 'La, la, la' is lazy writing. Chorus should be here not there. I want it to sound like this. It sounds too much like this. Every album sounds the same. Every album is too different. "
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,689
    edited March 23
    Potato 🥔 patado

• Options
    ^ I think we should all bring these to the show and sing this during the chorus and at the end whip these on stage!!! 
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,928
    igotid88 said:
    Ha. 

I think it's more about when they're making out to be the worst song ever. And the nitpicking. "It's too overproduced. Under produced. Too many words. Not enough words. 'La, la, la' is lazy writing. Chorus should be here not there. I want it to sound like this. It sounds too much like this. Every album sounds the same. Every album is too different. "
    Has anyone said if s the worst song ever? (And we all know that record belongs to you are)
    the rest of what you say is constructive criticism.   It’s ok to react to a song and say what you like or don’t like in a respectful way.  Some of you act like you wrote the song.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    BF25394BF25394 Posts: 3,452
    mcgruff10 said:
    devonfz said:
    its like all the whiny little bitches from "oh no the tickets are too expensive " page have migrated over here

dark matter is good!

never thought I would say this but would really like to hear 7 o'clock again live...

i like almost everything they have done in the 2000's and the tours have been by far the best / not wishing for 1998 for me I loved seeing them 2023 rock in Austin they look great  cant wait for this year!!!

Whiny little  bitches?   It’s ok to express opinions about a bands music.  That’s what a forum is for.  You like running, great!  I don’t, great.  They are still my favorite band.  It’s ok to not like almost everything since 2000. 
    It's O.K. to not like almost everything since 2000. It's just strange to not like almost everything since 2000 and belong to the band's fan club. 
    I used to really like the Smashing Pumpkins. I loved everything they did through 2000's Machina: The Machines of God. Then Billy Corgan broke up the band and reconstituted it with different people, and everything I've heard from them since then has kind of sucked, even the stuff featuring James and Jimmy. I still love those first five albums, but I wouldn't pay money to belong to a Smashing Pumpkins fan club since I don't think they've done anything good since 2000. (Plus, Billy Corgan is a giant douche.)
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    igotid88 said:
    Ha. 

Has anyone said if s the worst song ever? (And we all know that record belongs to you are)
    the rest of what you say is constructive criticism.   It’s ok to react to a song and say what you like or don’t like in a respectful way.  Some of you act like you wrote the song.  
    Someone yesterday declared that the song sucks, that it will be their bathroom song, and that this opinion was set in stone. This was less than twelve hours after the song was released.
  • Options
    HaijayHaijay Posts: 330
    It IS more than a little weird to dislike pretty much everything your “favourite”  band has released for almost a quarter century. Why would you hang on? 
  • Options
    edited March 23
    BF25394 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    igotid88 said:
    Ha. 

Someone yesterday declared that the song sucks, that it will be their bathroom song, and that this opinion was set in stone. This was less than twelve hours after the song was released.
    RatherStaved. It was him. He did it. 
    *made me wonder how he could pee so fast*
    Post edited by Spunkie on
  • Options
    mvwmvw Posts: 1,659
    Spunkie said:
    Potato 🥔 patado

Hahaha 🤣 
  • Options
    Spunkie said:
    BF25394 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    igotid88 said:
    Ha. 

I figured it would involve "running" to the bathroom...
  • Options
    PJammin'PJammin' Posts: 1,756
    I am a fan of Watt's production so far. It makes the songs more mysterious. It's a shame there's so much negativity.
    This is the same as every new album release. People were so negative about Binaural and Riot Act and now people are praising them. No Code took a lot of heat at the time and now people say it’s the best thing since sliced bread. Name the album and it’s the same ole 💩 here. Just rinse and repeat. 
    I died. I died and you just stood there. I died and you watched. I died and you walked by and said no. I'm dead.
  • Options
    BF25394 said:
    Spunkie said:
    BF25394 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    igotid88 said:
    Ha. 

I figured it would involve "running" to the bathroom...😀
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,471
    It’s okay to love this band, have tickets to multiple shows and still be excited for the album while admitting this song is awful. Dark Matter is a solid track but this song is a mess. Not sure what possessed them to release this as a 2nd single. The production of both tracks has me concerned  more than anything, hoping Watt didn’t butcher the whole album. Anyway just my 2 cents, hopefully others are enjoying it. 
    Yeah a Grammy award winning producer who has worked with huge artists and is in high demand would butcher the whole record. Wtf? You people need to relax. Never seen a fan base ruin and dissect every little thing a band does to take the joy out it. People bitching about shipping rates, record cost, song production, drums, vocals, seat selection, city selection, tix prices, t shirt size, poster design etc.  this post is not directed to you last exit just an overall rant to the negativity on here.  Ok, I’m done. Carry on with the bitching 
    This. 
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,146
    Wobbie said:

here’s the thing….I was a fan from the beginning. I joined this forum 10 years in (I think). every single album through avocado was brilliant. that was halfway through the band’s existence. since then (the second half), they’ve released 3 average at best albums. dark matter could well be the fourth. the band spoiled the shit out of me for 16 years. since then, their “work” has gone way downhill while they seem to want to squeeze every last dime out of their fans. after BS and LB, I thought they should probably hang it up. PJ will be remembered as a legendary band and will always have a place in my heart (as long as I don’t focus on their recent money grubbing) but I think they have run their course. they’re still talented musicians but the well of creativity seems to have run dry.

I think I’m only still around so I can talk shit about sports in the AET.
    I’m sort of where you are although I don’t think they are in it for the money. I just think the well ran dry sometime around Avocado. Although Ed managed Into The Wild during that stretch which is probably better than any PJ release since Riot Act. I’m just thankful and appreciative they are still around and touring, I don’t care to get into these long debates about new material or even tickets at this point. Going to 4 shows and will enjoy each immensely. I’ll buy the album, find a handful of songs I connect with and move on with my life. People defend every song here like it’s their own child. They aren’t following up Yield or something here, the bar isn’t what it used to be. 
    He also lately did the Flag Day soundtrack which is close to a masterpiece. 
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    edited March 23
    BF25394 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    devonfz said:

dark matter is good!

Whiny little  bitches?   It’s ok to express opinions about a bands music.  That’s what a forum is for.  You like running, great!  I don’t, great.  They are still my favorite band.  It’s ok to not like almost everything since 2000. 
    It's O.K. to not like almost everything since 2000. It's just strange to not like almost everything since 2000 and belong to the band's fan club. 
    I used to really like the Smashing Pumpkins. I loved everything they did through 2000's Machina: The Machines of God. Then Billy Corgan broke up the band and reconstituted it with different people, and everything I've heard from them since then has kind of sucked, even the stuff featuring James and Jimmy. I still love those first five albums, but I wouldn't pay money to belong to a Smashing Pumpkins fan club since I don't think they've done anything good since 2000. (Plus, Billy Corgan is a giant douche.)
    - You don’t get the forum without the fanclub (because they once decided to paywall it to ”attificially” add to the perks of the club)
    - You don’t get fanclub-tickets without the fanclub

Stop playing around. You know this. 
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 12,068
    You can be a fan of any band and like what you like. Just leave it there
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    se7v7ense7v7en Philadelphia, PA Posts: 328
    BF25394 said:
    Yes, all they care about is making money-- that's why they haven't played more than 36 shows in a calendar year since 2006. Give me a break.

Look, everyone is entitled to their opinion, and the opinions are genuine and sincere. I don't question that. But there is an element in a lot of instances where it's not that the band's music is appreciably different in quality than it was twenty or thirty years ago, it's that the listeners are different than they were twenty or thirty years ago. (Not that there are different people in the fan base, but that the people in the fan base have a different relationship to music than they did when they were much younger.) I firmly believe that if the band dropped Vitalogy today, people here would hate it. And if they released an album that sounded exactly like Gigaton in 1998, people would have loved it.

Exactly
  • Options
    Niko80Niko80 Posts: 1,564
    It's a bit fun to read all the comments without having heard it myself. From the comments I suspect I will like Dark Matter more than Running. I also pick up that the instrumentals are very strong, which I like. As far as I am concerned, Mike has grown to become the heart and soul of this band.
    I will swallow poison
  • Options
    pledgeagrievancepledgeagrievance Posts: 2,823
    edited March 23
    I’m really enjoying Running. Great track. Someone on here said it’s the best punky song they’ve been trying to write since Avocado (I think MYM was successful at this as well), and I tend to agree.

And Gigaton is a very good album. Yes, there’s a few misses, but most have that. But Whoever Said, DOTC, Quick Escape, Alright, Seven o’ clock, Retrograde, comes than goes, are all top tier songs. And Josh Evans creates an atmosphere. He deserves more PJ producer time. I rank Gigaton above Avocado at times. 
    Post edited by pledgeagrievance on
  • Options
    I think Gigaton is and will be held high in general. And in another timeline or part of the universe, them continuing with Josh Evans would have been nice. 

• Options
    ChoskaChoska Posts: 121
    I’m really enjoying Running. Great track. Someone on here said it’s the best punky song they’ve been trying to write since Avocado (I think MYM was successful at this as well), and I tend to agree.

And Gigaton is a very good album. Yes, there’s a few misses, but most have that. But Whoever Said, DOTC, Quick Escape, Alright, Seven o’ clock, Retrograde, comes than goes, are all top tier songs. And Josh Evans creates an atmosphere. He deserves more PJ producer time. I rank Gigaton above Avocado at times. 
    Just want echo this. I live this single, and I’m really excited to hear both of the singles live. Also found myself listening to Gigaton more and more. It’s definitely growing on me. 

As for those complaining about not being able to understand Vedder’s lyrics, you do know it’s Pearl Jam, right? This is the same singer that Adam Sandler parodied when 10 came out. 
    Seattle 1992Seattle 1992Seattle 1993Seattle 1995Seattle 1996Seattle 1998Seattle 2001Seattle 2002Seattle 2005Gorge 2006Seattle 2009Seattle 2013Chicago 2016 x2Seattle 2018 x2San Diego 2022Nashville 2022, Seattle 2022 - Eddie Vedder

• Options
    JABKJABK Finland Posts: 306
    A Finnish music magazine wrote that PJs new single is a fast little punkrocker that will probably be great live...I agree...hope they play it in Berlin 2.
  • Options
    kramerica4kramerica4 Posts: 267
    After 4 times listening to RUNNING, I like it a lot!
    So much better than other fast PJ tracks like Comatose or SBWM.
  • Options
    EB218946EB218946 Posts: 3,839
    I think Running is bad ass.  Feel they let McCready off his leash and let him go berserk.  Cameron’s drumming is reminiscent of Dave A just super impressive and on a scale of difficulty it’s off the charts.  Cannot wait to see them play live and hope this lights a fire under them all.  Watching how expressive and spontaneous playing this new explosive music/sound.  Let’er rip tater chip! 
  • Options
    bicyclejoebicyclejoe USA Posts: 1,167
    devonfz said:

dark matter is good!

Why are you taking the honest opinions of others so personally? Strange. We’re in a fan club, not a cult. 
    My Pearl Jam Road: 10/22/90 Seattle | 12/22/90 Seattle, Moore Theater | 9/29/92 Seattle, Magnusson Park, Drop in the Park | 9/5/93 The Gorge, with Neil Young and Blind Melon | 7/20/06 Portland, Arlene Schnitzer Concert Hall with Sleater-Kinney | 7/22/06 The Gorge, 10/21/06 Mountain View, Shoreline Ampitheatre, Bridge School Benefit | 9/21/09 Seattle | 9/22/09 Seattle | 9/26/09 Portland, OR | 7/14/2011 Eddie Vedder, Portland, OR | 11/29/13 Portland, OR