Options

Running is out !

Comments

• Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,146
    edited March 23
    Has Jeff been inspired by Idles and his Idles-tshirt, on the distorted bass sound.

Spun some Idles and heard that crunchy bass.
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,948
    New songs often take awhile to grow on me. Running is definitely better through headphones. 

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    HenriettaLowellHenriettaLowell Cologne, Germany Posts: 48
    edited March 23
    I think Gigaton is and will be held high in general. And in another timeline or part of the universe, them continuing with Josh Evans would have been nice. 

Yes, but maybe that‘s still in the cards for the future. An Andrew Watt collab is what they felt like doing right now and that‘s fine, even though I suspect (judging by what we’ve heard) I won‘t be a huge fan of the production myself. 

The reason why I‘m overall chill about my personal reception of the new album is that it‘s always up and down for me looking at the PJ discography chronologically, and not necessarily in tune with what the majority of PJ fans feel: 

I‘m among those that aren‘t big fans of the original „Ten“ mix, although a lot of the songs themselves (as in: the compositions) are obviously among the strongest the band have ever written. Have mixed feelings about „Vs“ – similarly to „Ten“, a lot of it due to production and Ed‘s vocals (generally more of a fan of the mid-phase and later Ed vocals). Absolutely love „Vitalogy“ due to the gruffness and snotty attitude but also, strangely, (rough) grooviness in a lof of places. Regard both „No Code“ and „Yield“ as the strongest output (love „Yield“‘s anthem-like qualities and crisp production and „No Code“‘s stylistic rollercoaster, both featuring a ton of creativity and some of the best songwriting). Dig both „Binaural“ and „Riot Act“ a lot – what a lot of people dislike about „Binaural“‘s muddy production/mix, I find gives it an intriguing dream-like quality. Appreciate roughly half of „Avocado“, am indifferent about the other half. Never really clicked with „Backspacer“ as of yet, might still happen though. Do NOT like „Lightening Bolt“ but think „Gigaton“, one song aside, was a great success creatively and features some of my favorite PJ songs ever.

So no „the golden early days“ with me. There‘s been great songs spread over almost 35 years now, and if some of them only reveal themselves as great to me when played live, that‘s okay.

Post edited by HenriettaLowell on
  • Options
    I think Gigaton is and will be held high in general. And in another timeline or part of the universe, them continuing with Josh Evans would have been nice. 

Yes, but maybe that‘s still in the cards for the future. An Andrew Watt collab is what they felt like doing right now and that‘s fine, even though I suspect (judging by what we’ve heard) I won‘t be a huge fan of the production myself. 

The reason why I‘m overall chill about my personal reception of the new album is that it‘s always up and down for me looking at the PJ discography chronologically, and not necessarily in tune with what the majority of PJ fans feel: 

I‘m among those that aren‘t big fans of the original „Ten“ mix, although a lot of the songs themselves (as in: the compositions) are obviously among the strongest the band have ever written. Have mixed feelings about „Vs“ – similarly to „Ten“, a lot of it due to production and Ed‘s vocals (generally more of a fan of the mid-phase and later Ed vocals). Absolutely love „Vitalogy“ due to the gruffness and snotty attitude but also, strangely, (rough) grooviness in a lof of places. Regard both „No Code“ and „Yield“ as the strongest output (love „Yield“‘s anthem-like qualities and crisp production and „No Code“‘s stylistic rollercoaster, both featuring a ton of creativity and some of the best songwriting). Dig both „Binaural“ and „No Code“ a lot – what a lot of people dislike about „Binaural“‘s muddy production/mix, I find gives it an intriguing dream-like quality. Appreciate roughly half of „Avocado“, am indifferent about the other half. Never really clicked with „Backspacer“ as of yet, might still happen though. Do NOT like „Lightening Bolt“ but think „Gigaton“, one song aside, was a great success creatively and features some of my favorite PJ songs ever.

So no „the golden early days“ with me. There‘s been great songs spread over almost 35 years now, and if some of them only reveal themselves as great to me when played live, that‘s okay.

What kind of a sicko leaves out Riot Act
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    kmcmanuskmcmanus Posts: 645
    BF25394 said:
    Yes, all they care about is making money-- that's why they haven't played more than 36 shows in a calendar year since 2006. Give me a break.

Look, everyone is entitled to their opinion, and the opinions are genuine and sincere. I don't question that. But there is an element in a lot of instances where it's not that the band's music is appreciably different in quality than it was twenty or thirty years ago, it's that the listeners are different than they were twenty or thirty years ago. (Not that there are different people in the fan base, but that the people in the fan base have a different relationship to music than they did when they were much younger.) I firmly believe that if the band dropped Vitalogy today, people here would hate it. And if they released an album that sounded exactly like Gigaton in 1998, people would have loved it.

No album by any artist will ever top Vs for me, not because there could never be another album as good; but because I can never have 15 year old ears again. 
    That is a much bigger factor than the fact Ed’s voice will never be 28 again. Which is also true.
  • Options
    HenriettaLowellHenriettaLowell Cologne, Germany Posts: 48

I‘m among those that aren‘t big fans of the original „Ten“ mix, although a lot of the songs themselves (as in: the compositions) are obviously among the strongest the band have ever written. Have mixed feelings about „Vs“ – similarly to „Ten“, a lot of it due to production and Ed‘s vocals (generally more of a fan of the mid-phase and later Ed vocals). Absolutely love „Vitalogy“ due to the gruffness and snotty attitude but also, strangely, (rough) grooviness in a lof of places. Regard both „No Code“ and „Yield“ as the strongest output (love „Yield“‘s anthem-like qualities and crisp production and „No Code“‘s stylistic rollercoaster, both featuring a ton of creativity and some of the best songwriting). Dig both „Binaural“ and „No Code“ a lot – what a lot of people dislike about „Binaural“‘s muddy production/mix, I find gives it an intriguing dream-like quality. Appreciate roughly half of „Avocado“, am indifferent about the other half. Never really clicked with „Backspacer“ as of yet, might still happen though. Do NOT like „Lightening Bolt“ but think „Gigaton“, one song aside, was a great success creatively and features some of my favorite PJ songs ever.

What kind of a sicko leaves out Riot Act
    Meant „Riot Act“ when I wrote „No Code“ for the second time and you know it. I‘ll take the sicko compliment though  ;)
  • Options
    edited March 23
    Eddies voice is still superior on a bunch of material. Maybe fast-paced vocal-spitting punk rockers just aren't that type of materia when you aren't 28. If hos voice is believed to sound not up-to par on them. (I think it works relatively well on Running myself, more worried about it live. )

Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
  • Options
    Mid….think I need to hear it live.
  • Options
    CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,238
    edited March 23
    We are 12 albums in, most artists potency dissipates after let’s say max 3-4 albums… the initial feel isn’t the same no matter how great the songs are. I feel their success has always been to make the music they want and let the chips fall where they may. 

Gigaton, imo was a huge leap from backspacer & lightning bolt… to each their own.

Hope Quick Escape still in rotation, it’s so good 
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,558
    JimmyV said:
    New songs often take awhile to grow on me. Running is definitely better through headphones. 
    For sure.
  • Options
    jonbond1779jonbond1779 London, UK Posts: 1,569
    edited March 23
    Listening back to Avocado & even Lightening Bolt, the vocals so far on the 2 tracks released for Dark Matter are quite muffled in the mix.  Running is ok, quite WWS-esque but not as good.

so far Dark Matter > Running
    "Bring it back, to the clean form. To the pure form"

28/09/04 - Boston, 20/04/06 - London [\\mm//Astoria\\mm//] - 18/06/07 - Wembley Arena, 11/08/09 -  London [\\mm//Shepherds Bush Empire\\mm//],18/08/09 - 02 Arena, 25/06/10 - Hyde Park, 26/06/12 - Amsterdam, 27/06/12 - Amsterdam, 08/07/14 - Leeds,11/07/14 - Milton Keynes, 13/06/18 - Amsterdam, 18/06/18 - London 02 Arena, 17/07/18 - London 02 Arena, 08/08/22 - Hyde Park, 9/08/22 - Hyde Park - 25/08/22 - Amsterdam, 29/07/24 - London {*Tottenham Stadium TBC*}
  • Options
    D-RodD-Rod Hamilton, Ontario Posts: 1,806
    After several listens of Running I am enjoying it more and more.  Using head phones made a huge difference.  

Still not sure why they released Running as a single.  Actually is it a single?   E-mail and everything else I’ve read called it a new song and not a single. 

1996.....Toronto
    2005.....Hamilton
    2011.....Toronto N1, Toronto N2, Hamilton
    2013.....London, Buffalo
    2014.....Detroit
    2016.....Toronto N1 Toronto N2, Boston  N1, Boston N2, Chicago N1
    2018.....Seattle N1, Seattle N2
    2022.....San Diego, Los Angeles N1, Los Angeles N2, Phoenix, Oakland N1, Oakland N2, Quebec City, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto  
    2023.....Fort Worth N1, Fort Worth N2, Austin N1, Austin N2
    2024.....???? 
  • Options
    lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 12,068
    Funny the more I listen the more I don't like it. I like the bit where is slows but apart from that. Not sure
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,837
    Funny the more I listen the more I don't like it. I like the bit where is slows but apart from that. Not sure
    Same. And even the bridge sounds unoriginal to me. Like I’ve heard it already somewhere on earthlings. Hoping it’s one of the worst songs on the album. I’d be cool with that. Probably wouldn’t even skip it because it’s so short 
  • Options
    THEBIBLEISTENTHEBIBLEISTEN Posts: 1,695
    Just listened to Running driving through the mountains and sounded great through the speakers with the windows down. I like the song, maybe odd choice for a single but like the energy from the track 
  • Options
    lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 12,068
    nicknyr15 said:
    Same. And even the bridge sounds unoriginal to me. Like I’ve heard it already somewhere on earthlings. Hoping it’s one of the worst songs on the album. I’d be cool with that. Probably wouldn’t even skip it because it’s so short 
    Yeah earthlings is what I feel with that part too
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    The lyrics are corny
  • Options
    CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,238
    The lyrics are corny
    Yea, sometimes when dealing with shit/plumbing corn can be involved 
  • Options
    SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,689

• Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,471
    Listened a bunch of times and I really like it. 

Hey Pearl Jam… make sure you keep the receipts.  Gonna be a lot of people back on the bandwagon after they hear it live! 
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    edited March 23
    The lyrics are corny
    "Running" includes the simile as a poetic technique similar to a metaphor but uses the word 'like' or 'as'. There's a beautiful, thought provoking simile in this song!

Lost in the tunnel and the tunnel's
    Getting funneled
    Like the sewage in the plumbing
    Cause we left the fucking water running

What do you think this means?

Does it evoke childhood teachings to turn the lights off when you leave a room and turn the water off when brushing your teeth? Do you think these teachings from decades ago were helpful? Do the kids in your neighborhood still learn this a way to save the environment? Is this generational ownership for fucking the planet and leaving it worse than when we got to share it?

What about funneling a tunnel? Mining resources to building things from our planet?
    Post edited by Spunkie on
  • Options
    edited March 23
    Was cleared for liftoff
    aborted my takeoff
    living in the shadows
    a date with the gallows
    and a reprieve not looking likely

Near death/close call/health issues?
    Personal or environmental? (If your culture separates the two)
    Post edited by Spunkie on
  • Options
    bicyclejoebicyclejoe USA Posts: 1,167
    on2legs said:

Hey Pearl Jam… make sure you keep the receipts.  Gonna be a lot of people back on the bandwagon after they hear it live! 
    Sadly, some of us won’t be able to hear it live since we can’t afford tickets this time around. 
    My Pearl Jam Road: 10/22/90 Seattle | 12/22/90 Seattle, Moore Theater | 9/29/92 Seattle, Magnusson Park, Drop in the Park | 9/5/93 The Gorge, with Neil Young and Blind Melon | 7/20/06 Portland, Arlene Schnitzer Concert Hall with Sleater-Kinney | 7/22/06 The Gorge, 10/21/06 Mountain View, Shoreline Ampitheatre, Bridge School Benefit | 9/21/09 Seattle | 9/22/09 Seattle | 9/26/09 Portland, OR | 7/14/2011 Eddie Vedder, Portland, OR | 11/29/13 Portland, OR
  • Options
    edited March 23
    CROJAM95 said:
    The lyrics are corny
    Yea, sometimes when dealing with shit/plumbing corn can be involved 
    The last thing I have to say in response to your insult, is that I believe these lyrics (songs) were made on the spot. On the fly. Like the poet (Ed) just came up with a simile on the spot. Most people don't run around with haiku's, similes etc.. flying out of their mouth with no thought at all. To music, no less.
  • Options
    BF25394BF25394 Posts: 3,452
    BF25394 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    devonfz said:
    its like all the whiny little bitches from "oh no the tickets are too expensive " page have migrated over here

I think running is pretty fucking good!

dark matter is good!

our band keeps putting out music and touring!

i think gigaton is pretty good

never thought I would say this but would really like to hear 7 o'clock again live...

i like almost everything they have done in the 2000's and the tours have been by far the best / not wishing for 1998 for me I loved seeing them 2023 rock in Austin they look great  cant wait for this year!!!

Whiny little  bitches?   It’s ok to express opinions about a bands music.  That’s what a forum is for.  You like running, great!  I don’t, great.  They are still my favorite band.  It’s ok to not like almost everything since 2000. 
    It's O.K. to not like almost everything since 2000. It's just strange to not like almost everything since 2000 and belong to the band's fan club. 
    I used to really like the Smashing Pumpkins. I loved everything they did through 2000's Machina: The Machines of God. Then Billy Corgan broke up the band and reconstituted it with different people, and everything I've heard from them since then has kind of sucked, even the stuff featuring James and Jimmy. I still love those first five albums, but I wouldn't pay money to belong to a Smashing Pumpkins fan club since I don't think they've done anything good since 2000. (Plus, Billy Corgan is a giant douche.)
    - You don’t get the forum without the fanclub (because they once decided to paywall it to ”attificially” add to the perks of the club)
    - You don’t get fanclub-tickets without the fanclub

Stop playing around. You know this. 
    Playing around? Why would you want to belong to the forum if you don't like almost everything the band has done for the last 24 years? To have an outlet to express how much you don't like them to people who do like them? Why would you want to go see them if you don't like almost everything they've done for the last 24 years? At a certain point-- like me with the Pumpkins-- shouldn't you just move on and devote your time, energy and money to things you actually like?
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,667
    Shouldn't people choose what to do themselves, if it doesn't harm others?

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    devonfz said:
    its like all the whiny little bitches from "oh no the tickets are too expensive " page have migrated over here

I think running is pretty fucking good!

dark matter is good!

our band keeps putting out music and touring!

i think gigaton is pretty good

never thought I would say this but would really like to hear 7 o'clock again live...

i like almost everything they have done in the 2000's and the tours have been by far the best / not wishing for 1998 for me I loved seeing them 2023 rock in Austin they look great  cant wait for this year!!!

Why are you taking the honest opinions of others so personally? Strange. We’re in a fan club, not a cult. 
    Right, it's a fan club. Being a fan doesn't mean accepting everything unquestioningly like a cult member. But it does, I think, mean generally being, you know, a fan of the artist and giving them a little more time before you dismiss their art. You would think that fans would: a) not write a song off on the day of its release; and b) not be mostly dismissive of everything an artist has done for the last 24 years. At some point, if you're that consistently disappointed by an artist, are you really still a fan?
  • Options
    on2legs said:

Sadly, some of us won’t be able to hear it live since we can’t afford tickets this time around. 
    YouTube? Good live shows on there 
  • Options
    Spunkie said:
    Was cleared for liftoff
    aborted my takeoff
    living in the shadows
    a date with the gallows
    and a reprieve not looking likely

Near death/close call/health issues?
    Personal or environmental? (If your culture separates the two)
    Is it about a lost friend that he never got a chance to reconnect with? CC maybe? 
  • Options
    Listening back to Avocado & even Lightening Bolt, the vocals so far on the 2 tracks released for Dark Matter are quite muffled in the mix.  Running is ok, quite WWS-esque but not as good.

so far Dark Matter > Running
    I honestly have not found the vocals muffled at all once I saw the lyrics to each song.