Options

Ticket prices. This is not for you (the fans).

Comments

• Options
    JD87070JD87070 Posts: 153
    aLostDog said:
    I've been a fan since the 90s, a 10C member forever, and I've seen countless shows, including Wrigley and Fenway in the past decade.

I was hoping to grab a single seat in Baltimore, MD, now that you don't need a code to hop in the queue, and I honestly can't wrap my head around the cost. Charging $600+ for nosebleed seats in Baltimore, MD, USA, is wild. The arena holds 14,000 people for a concert, so that's going to equate to an $8,000,000.00+ ($8+ million dollars) revenue it ticket sales for someone just for this show. 

At this rate, in 10 years, the cost to go to a PJ show will be above $1,000 USD for the same terrible seat.

What a change of direction for the guys who once tried to stand up against Ticketmaster.

I guess I've seen my last PJ show.
    Congrats to all those who can afford that ticket.
    Super jealous.
    Have fun.

10% of the seats are priced this way as PJ Premium, the rest were a significantly lower price (most shows averaged around $175/ticket). The Premiums are just the only ones left after the 10C presale and general on sale. To get regular priced tickets you need to get them in the presale or be on right when they go on sale, and even then it’s a crapshoot.
  • Options
    Interesting that so many shows are already considered Sold Out on the tour page. 
  • Options
    SHZASHZA St. Louis, MO USA Posts: 3,419
    JD87070 said:
    aLostDog said:
    I've been a fan since the 90s, a 10C member forever, and I've seen countless shows, including Wrigley and Fenway in the past decade.

I was hoping to grab a single seat in Baltimore, MD, now that you don't need a code to hop in the queue, and I honestly can't wrap my head around the cost. Charging $600+ for nosebleed seats in Baltimore, MD, USA, is wild. The arena holds 14,000 people for a concert, so that's going to equate to an $8,000,000.00+ ($8+ million dollars) revenue it ticket sales for someone just for this show. 

At this rate, in 10 years, the cost to go to a PJ show will be above $1,000 USD for the same terrible seat.

What a change of direction for the guys who once tried to stand up against Ticketmaster.

I guess I've seen my last PJ show.
    Congrats to all those who can afford that ticket.
    Super jealous.
    Have fun.

10% of the seats are priced this way as PJ Premium, the rest were a significantly lower price (most shows averaged around $175/ticket). The Premiums are just the only ones left after the 10C presale and general on sale. To get regular priced tickets you need to get them in the presale or be on right when they go on sale, and even then it’s a crapshoot.
    And it's an asking price. $600 uppers probably won't sell. If they don't sell, prices drop. 
  • Options
    GetRight13GetRight13 NY Posts: 586
    edited February 24
    Interesting that so many shows are already considered Sold Out on the tour page. 
    yeah thats weird, I can still get $175 tickets for Philly night 2 but its back corners 
    2023 Austin 1 & 2
    Ottawa 09/03
    MSG 1 & 2
    2013 Brooklyn (10/18, 10/19) Philadelphia (10/21, 10/22)
    2012 Atlanta 09/22
    2009 Albany 06/08 (Eddie Solo)
    2008 Bonnaroo 6/14
    2006 Albany 05/12
    2005 Philadelphia 10/03
    2000 Saratoga Springs 08/27
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,354
    Folks it’s all about demand the band should do more shows if they did a 6 or 10 run show at MSG most folks would get better seats and more fans would get to see them 2 shows in MSG or Philly is pathetic! Do Phish fans have the same issues I don’t believe they do 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    MD7886MD7886 Dillsburg PA Posts: 33
    edited February 24
    My first PJ show was Seattle '96, my last was Philly 2022.   Been in the fan club since 1995.   

I believe that's the end of my PJ shows unless I win the lottery.   I'm so disappointed in this catastrophe.
  • Options
    jdopjjdopj Posts: 652
    on2legs said:
    These "premium" ticket prices were happening no matter what.  If the best seats in the house were priced at $175 they would have all been grabbed by people with connections and bots and then posted at premium prices on the resale market.  People are dreaming if they think they were going to drop into the Ticketmaster online sale at 10am and grab 2 floor seats for cheap.  They would be gone long before you had a chance to get them in your cart.  PJ Premium is just transferring the markup from a scalper to the band.  If someone is going to get that money it should be the band. 
    100% this. Don’t underestimate the lack of shows. The ‘22 tour was actually the ‘20 tour and people held onto their tickets so they were scarce. Last year was 9 shows. The reality is people are willing to pay 400-500 for great seats to a show these days. 
  • Options
    jdopjjdopj Posts: 652
    The prices are ridiculous. It’s really hard to defend PJ here knowing what they’ve stood for all these years. They have changed. Pearl Jam is a brand now. Other than the make up Indy show which I already have tickets for, I too am sadly sitting this tour out. I didn’t think I would ever be typing this. So many things have added up slowly and has dampened my excitement about PJ. 

Here’s a few:
    - ticket prices
    - no more fan club t or vinyl
    - much shorter shows
    - the insane merch frenzy and lines
    - shipping prices through 10c
    - vinyl price of Dark Matter

I get the “reasons” behind most of this and the band has certainly earned the right to do whatever they want but it doesn’t change the fact of how some of us feel that have been here since the beginning. It bums me out. I do love the new single and I’m excited to hear the rest of Dark Matter but I can’t help all the negative feelings I’ve been having surrounding my favorite band of all time. 
    Honestly for me it’s that
    -the lottery is a mess, no priority
    - I’m willing to pay money but now the seats are far worse than before
  • Options
    CFriscoCFrisco Posts: 2
    mace1229 said:
    $200 probably is normal for a band of this caliber. Obviously there are lots of well known bands you can see for less. But the trend is to charge more for shows, and people are willing to do it.
    Honestly, who here wouldn't?
    Would anyone here open a restaurant, sell out every single night, have huge demand, and not raise prices when you are turning away customers every day? Or make a little extra money so your kids can continue the same lifestyle you've given them even after you're gone? The price sucks, but I don't blame them for it. 

I'd gladly pay 200.00 if i had the opportunity!  Got shut out of Philly Again this year.  The pass-code thing just isn't working!  the scalpers are still getting the tickets, and the fans without deep pockets or connections get shut out.
  • Options
    ilockyerilockyer Posts: 2,249
    It's quite sad seeing the amount of tickets available still in Manchester and London, over 24 hours on from the on-sale. 
    A lot of people get paid at the end of the month, if things haven't changed much by the time we hit 1-2 March then they're probably not going to. 

I understand band fans lumping all the blame on Ticketmaster for dynamic/platinum etc or saying why would PJ fight them again? TM probably just offer all this stuff on a default contract as they see it as best for their client. If Robert Smith & The Cure, who I think we all would agree carry nowhere near the industry clout that PJ do, can set their rules that these things not be used then it is clear it can be done if there's a will. 

People have said the band aren't the same people they were 30 years ago, of course they're not, when you're an 8-9 digit multi-millionaire you're going to lose a lot of perspective on the reality for most people. They will have told their management the figure for which they are prepared to "go to work" each day. Dynamic pricing means the promoter only has to get sales to that figure plus setup costs in order to not lose on their investment, which could happen with 25% sold, 50% sold etc. That'll be why that Def Leppard/Motley Crue gig went ahead at a barely 1/2 full Wembley last year. 
    The secret to a happy ending is knowing when to roll the credits
  • Options
    SHZASHZA St. Louis, MO USA Posts: 3,419
    ilockyer said:
    It's quite sad seeing the amount of tickets available still in Manchester and London, over 24 hours on from the on-sale. 
    A lot of people get paid at the end of the month, if things haven't changed much by the time we hit 1-2 March then they're probably not going to. 

I understand band fans lumping all the blame on Ticketmaster for dynamic/platinum etc or saying why would PJ fight them again? TM probably just offer all this stuff on a default contract as they see it as best for their client. If Robert Smith & The Cure, who I think we all would agree carry nowhere near the industry clout that PJ do, can set their rules that these things not be used then it is clear it can be done if there's a will. 

People have said the band aren't the same people they were 30 years ago, of course they're not, when you're an 8-9 digit multi-millionaire you're going to lose a lot of perspective on the reality for most people. They will have told their management the figure for which they are prepared to "go to work" each day. Dynamic pricing means the promoter only has to get sales to that figure plus setup costs in order to not lose on their investment, which could happen with 25% sold, 50% sold etc. That'll be why that Def Leppard/Motley Crue gig went ahead at a barely 1/2 full Wembley last year. 
    I was wondering it there's any chance they'd cancel if sales don't pick up 
  • Options
    SHZA said:
    ilockyer said:

I would hope not for the sake of those who've bought tickets and are looking forward to it. 
    They probably only need to shift 20k tickets at original face value to cover costs/band fees. Move the stage further down the pitch, move peoples seats, use black tarp/sheeting over areas not sold. 

When they played Milton Keynes in 2014, sales for that were very poor (due to a combination of it being more expensive than the arena shows and the venue being "inconvenient" for want of a better term) and even with discounts it was probably just over half-full. 

• Options
    The RockThe Rock Posts: 1,394
    ilockyer said:
    SHZA said:
    ilockyer said:

I would hope not for the sake of those who've bought tickets and are looking forward to it. 
    They probably only need to shift 20k tickets at original face value to cover costs/band fees. Move the stage further down the pitch, move peoples seats, use black tarp/sheeting over areas not sold. 

When they played Milton Keynes in 2014, sales for that were very poor (due to a combination of it being more expensive than the arena shows and the venue being "inconvenient" for want of a better term) and even with discounts it was probably just over half-full. 

I was there and it was definitely way more than half full. 
    It wasn't absolutely crammed on the hills at the back but it was still plenty full for the most part. 

2006: London Astoria, Lisbon I & II, Paris, Verona, Milano
    2007: Wembley, Dusseldorf, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    2009: Manchester
    2010: Belfast, Berlin
    2012: Manchester I & II
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes
    2018: Amsterdam I, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Barcelona, London
    2022: Berlin, Budapest, Krakow, Amsterdam II
  • Options
    edited February 24
    The Rock said:
    It wasn't absolutely crammed on the hills at the back but it was still plenty full for the most part. 

In fairness, was comparing it with when I went a year later for Foos and it was rammed on the hill all the way round, including behind both of the marquees which were on each side for bars/merch. For PJ we were just off to the left of the stage about 10 rows back on the floor, with room to safely keep beers on the floor and them not get kicked over. From an enjoyment perspective, it was great. Foos was horribly tight even at the top of the hill! 
    Post edited by ilockyer on
  • Options
    efroten2efroten2 Chicago Posts: 73
    Folks it’s all about demand the band should do more shows if they did a 6 or 10 run show at MSG most folks would get better seats and more fans would get to see them 2 shows in MSG or Philly is pathetic! Do Phish fans have the same issues I don’t believe they do 
    This is very true, they could clearly be playing more shows in certain markets and that would help get more tickets to fanclub members. They are only playing ~40 shows on this world tour (remember when they used to play 70?) and clearly the demand has one up since the early 2000s. They clearly either don't want to play more shows or can't due to health/stamina reasons and I don't blame them. This is why they play Wrigley, Fenway etc. One Wrigley show is about the same amount of people as 2x United Center shows. Wrigley sucks for shows and I'd much prefer to see them at UC but it is what it is.

Again, my biggest gripe is that the "premium" seats and possibly other regular sale seats seem to be pushing 10C members further back than ever before.

People also don't seem to understand that the crazy high "premium" seat prices they are seeing are a small percentage of the seats. There's a reason these are the only seats left. If these were regular price seats they would have immediately sold and they wouldn't even be seeing them listed anymore.
    1994: Bridge School Night 2
    1995: Sacramento, San Jose
    1998: Sacramento
    2001: Bridge School Night 2
    2003: St. Louis, Champaign, Irvine 1, Irvine 2, Chicago, East Troy, Noblesville
    2004: Grand Rapids
    2006: Chicago 1, Chicago 2, Cleveland, Milwaukee 2
    2007: Chicago (The Vic), Chicago (Lolla)
    2009: Chicago 1, Chicago 2
    2010: Noblesville
    2013: Chicago, San Diego
    2014: St. Louis, Milwaukee
    2016: Chicago 1 & 2
    2018: Chicago 1 & 2
    2011: PJ20 1 & 2
  • Options
    ilockyer said:
    The Rock said:

In fairness, was comparing it with when I went a year later for Foos and it was rammed on the hill all the way round, including behind both of the marquees which were on each side for bars/merch. For PJ we were just off to the left of the stage about 10 rows back on the floor, with room to safely keep beers on the floor and them not get kicked over. From an enjoyment perspective, it was great. Foos was horribly tight even at the top of the hill! 
    Oh for sure it wasn't as full as Foos but I think overall it was pretty successful. 

If sales for Leeds doesn't pick up then it's going to pretty empty! 
  • Options
    The Rock said:
    ilockyer said:
    The Rock said:

Oh for sure it wasn't as full as Foos but I think overall it was pretty successful. 

If sales for MK had been better we'd have got Leeds 2... 

You doing any this time? Just Manchester for me, and clicking buy on that was the toughest mouse click ever. 
  • Options
    ponner1usponner1us Posts: 738
    I understand and am ok with the increase in ticket prices. However, platinum or dynamic pricing is complete nonsense and is unnecessary in my humble opinion. Opposite viewpoint is that it keeps the money with the band instead of scalpers, but it’s a bit greedy nonetheless. The Cure toured last summer, had reasonably priced tickets, played an amazing 3 hour show, and had t-shirts and posters priced around $25 bucks, and I’m guessing they somehow made enough profit. It can be done, the choice has been made not to, leaves me feeling a little conflicted. 
    Regarding the Cure:
    “We have priced tickets to benefit fans and our efforts to block scalpers and limit inflated resale prices are being supported by our ticketing partners,” reads a note on the band’s website. The press release announcing the concert added that “apart from a few Hollywood Bowl charity seats, there will be no platinum or dynamically priced tickets on this tour.”
    Journey Begins: 1992-08-15, Montage Mountain Performing Arts Center,
    Scranton, Pennsylvania

Journey Ends:
  • Options
    ilockyer said:
    The Rock said:
    ilockyer said:
    The Rock said:

If sales for MK had been better we'd have got Leeds 2... 

You doing any this time? Just Manchester for me, and clicking buy on that was the toughest mouse click ever. 
    Yeah I'm doing Manchester and London. 
    I wanted to do both Berlin and Barcelona but the baby is due not long after so it was cutting it a bit too close to fly away and leave my partner when she's about to pop. 

GA in Manchester with no early entry is feeling like a bit of a bummer, too. I'm contemplating looking for a seated ticket nearer the time and avoid the nonsense. 
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    It is amazing how naive and uninformed many fans are about ticket pricing and the concert industry, and how much has changed since the band took on ticketmaster 30 years ago!  The band could charge much more than $185 if they really wanted to be greedy. The non-10C high prices you see now will be adjusted to reflect true demand as the shows get closer. This is the new reality, micro management of each individual seat. Do not buy now, but there is no guarantee prices will go down for high demand shows. When I have had to bite the bullet, it was a decent seat for MSG around $500.
  • Options
    HollisBrownHollisBrown Posts: 4,319
    TRANSPLANTS SAVE LIVES
    www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • Options
    LukinAtULukinAtU Posts: 769
    A lot has changed these last few years with respect to world economics. Prior to 2020 I felt all was good. Not just ticket prices but everything. Now, I think a lot of people are feeling the pinch with whats transpired over the last 3 years and going into this year. With that said, I'm done after this...been a fan a long time, since inception. But there is a lot of other bands I can see for a lot less and still get quality seats. 
  • Options
    ponner1usponner1us Posts: 738
    Get_Right said:
    It is amazing how naive and uninformed many fans are about ticket pricing and the concert industry, and how much has changed since the band took on ticketmaster 30 years ago!  The band could charge much more than $185 if they really wanted to be greedy. The non-10C high prices you see now will be adjusted to reflect true demand as the shows get closer. This is the new reality, micro management of each individual seat. Do not buy now, but there is no guarantee prices will go down for high demand shows. When I have had to bite the bullet, it was a decent seat for MSG around $500.
    Yes, most of us are bumbling idiots, thank you for the expansive education, it was very enlightening. I feel as if I now understand all of the intricacies involved in the current pricing system. I had no idea that capitalism, free market, and supply & demand were all factors to consider… Wow!!!
    Journey Begins: 1992-08-15, Montage Mountain Performing Arts Center,
    Scranton, Pennsylvania

Journey Ends:
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    ponner1us said:
    Get_Right said:
    Yes, most of us are bumbling idiots, thank you for the expansive education, it was very enlightening. I feel as if I now understand all of the intricacies involved in the current pricing system. I had no idea that capitalism, free market, and supply & demand were all factors to consider… Wow!!!
    Free market has nothing to do with it. And yes, many people are just bashing the band without knowing the real reason why tickets are more expensive. And they cannot cite one band other than the Cure that is not charging more for their tickets.
  • Options
    YAKIMATSUYAKIMATSU Santa Fe Posts: 638
    I wonder if they will ever go back to Europe.  Maybe they should wait like five years to create some scarcity.  It seems that going every two years doesn't meet the market demand.
  • Options
    BF25394BF25394 Posts: 3,603
    But what does Kurt have to say about it today?
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • Options
    NM70698NM70698 Posts: 76
    Using the ticket master filters, I see no difference between the “Standard” and “PJ Premium” prices.  The only difference is seat location.  Searching Sacramento and Los Angeles, the cheapest “standard” tickets were uppers for $175 plus fees.  All lowers were priced close $500 and up.  As best I can tell, the high $400 range is the starting “face value” price for any section were you would actually want to sit.  Am I wrong?  Did any person buy lower bowl seats for less than $500 per ticket with fees?
  • Options
    Get_Right said:
    ponner1us said:
    Get_Right said:
    Free market has nothing to do with it. And yes, many people are just bashing the band without knowing the real reason why tickets are more expensive. And they cannot cite one band other than the Cure that is not charging more for their tickets.
    People aren't talking about The Cure just because they're cheaper, it's because they proved that TM can be stood up to regarding the variable pricing. Which, accordingly to many posters here and on FB, can't be done! 
  • Options
    YAKIMATSU said:
    I wonder if they will ever go back to Europe.  Maybe they should wait like five years to create some scarcity.  It seems that going every two years doesn't meet the market demand.
    They have always sold out their EU tours really rapidly, most venues sold within a day, extra nights added, while visiting every 2 years. Market demand has always been here in terms of people wanting to attend the shows.
    The only thing that's changed is the significant increase in ticket pricing here this time, which has brought their prices in line with those in the USA. People are just looking at it and saying that, while they want to go, they can't justify the prices. I know of at least 10-15 friends who are 10C members who were planning 4-6 shows as normal but are now only doing 1, maybe 2, at most. Some aren't doing any because they aren't prepared to support the price rise. 
  • Options
    LiteTheMatchLiteTheMatch Posts: 1,179
    NM70698 said:
    Using the ticket master filters, I see no difference between the “Standard” and “PJ Premium” prices.  The only difference is seat location.  Searching Sacramento and Los Angeles, the cheapest “standard” tickets were uppers for $175 plus fees.  All lowers were priced close $500 and up.  As best I can tell, the high $400 range is the starting “face value” price for any section were you would actually want to sit.  Am I wrong?  Did any person buy lower bowl seats for less than $500 per ticket with fees?

This was the same for Chicago pre-sale.   No "standard" option - only "PJ Premium".       Prices varied between $600 and $1500 ish
    A child's rhyme stuck in my head...
    It said "Life is nothing but a dream."
    I've spent so many years in question
    To find I'd known this all along.