Options

Ticket prices. This is not for you (the fans).

Comments

• Options
    nc_jammer1nc_jammer1 Posts: 546
    hadrielia said:
    I think PJ miscalculated this move for Europe. First that by all means those ticket prices are not the average in europe for a band like PJ, yeah they have fans, but they don't have the size as Taylor swift, ac/dc or other big acts that dare to charge that. It's delutional to think they are.

So they don't have that big hardcore fanbase to sellout stadiums with those prices. Given  that, only option is casual listeners,  yeah no casual listener that is not rich will pay 160€ for a ticket, you will need hell amount of rich people to sell out stadiums.

As for me, I was super excited to see them again. I was born the same year that the band got together. I haven't had too many opportunities to see them live, but Barcelona 2018 was the best concert of my life. This time around will only see them on Barcelona N1 and with a bittersweet taste, as my intention was to see them 2 nights but with these prices only have budget for one. This process has been a dissapointment, with 10c lottery new rules (I had to go to GA because I was not going to risk  to get bad seats for that price) and complete proof that the band only cares about the money.
    Agreed,  there is a threshold that bands have to be careful of.  Seems the demand for this tour is high so far, so they're doing alright.  If prices hike again during another tour in say 2 years, they could see a huge drop in demand. 
    Maroon 5 cancelled their tour a couple years ago due to poor sales (not publicized but obvious),  there were practically 60% of seats remaining after being on sale a couple weeks,  the prices eclipsed the threshold and people said no way.  I'm thinking Maroon 5 should be desirable if priced right ?
  • Options
    deb1211deb1211 Posts: 1,149
    edited February 23
    Touring is crazy expensive and this band has long time employees who go to bat for them tour after tour. I had to help do budgets for a large concert series and they are a pain in the butt and sometimes we lost money and my salary as an employee was frozen. The budget has to make sense and they also like to break up the tours into smaller segments and not play a bazillion shows in stadiums like other bands. The cost of everything is high these days but for me the experiences I have with this band and the PJ community is worth what I'm paying. It is just a priority for me personally. I skipped many years of pj shows to work and raise my kids. 

Now they are older, i'm trying to make up for it. I never know when this band won't be around anymore.
    Post edited by deb1211 on
  • Options
    CaliforniaSun77CaliforniaSun77 Los Angeles, CA Posts: 10
    estarr31 said:
    This what a lot of Bruce fans complained about last Winter too. I'm not really sure how much control the band has in this. Would love to learn more about the ticketmaster process. 
    They have a lot of control. The "Platinum/Premium" is something that can be turned on or off. And pricing is up to them. I appreciate the no resale over face, which again is an option any artist can make. Based on other recent LA shows, the $185 for floor/lowers is fine. For me it's the pricing of the seats way up in the rafters. I got Verified Fan for one of the LA shows and the top of the Forum is not selling. I don't blame people for not wanting to pay $176 for uppers. 
  • Options
    DG3350DG3350 Posts: 1
    matt.watt said:
    Came off the waiting list to get VF tickets to Fenway.  Midway in the rear bleachers was about the cheapest available.  2 tickets for $933 total.  W.T.F.  This is INSANE.  Who the fuck are buying these tickets?  Who can afford back of the floor seats for $700+ a piece?
    I came off the waitlist for Fenway 2 and tickets range from $112-$156. Nothing on the field. The more expensive ones are in the grandstand behind the plate and down the third baseline. The cheaper ones are in the upper pavilion boxes. Far away but a friend sat there in 2018 and said it was a pretty cool view. 
  • Options
    Wilco87Wilco87 Posts: 37
    mace1229 said:
    As a disabled person I've had to pay for 2 tickets as Ticketmaster doesn't seem to recognise the disabled button.. Incase you didn't know if I are disabled...walking.....you can email the ticket companies and they should automatically let me buy 2 tickets and one free for my career..as it is I'm up a bit but got tickets so hey ho . lolol
    Tried to get Barcelona tickets but that was Fubar 
    A free ticket for your career?
    They obviously meant ‘carer’.   Stop being weird.  
    I don't think it was "weird". I was just as perplexed. Makes more sense.

On a side note, if the "care giver" role requires extremely minimal medical knowledge/training and limited physical effort, I would love to pursue a side hustle as a "care giver" to take those wishing to attend a show (or sporting event).
  • Options
    KidAOKKidAOK Posts: 90
    It's really disappointing to see fans making excuses for the inexcusable.
  • Options
    The thought that the band does not have control over these prices or does not approve of them is naive. I am still shelling out and going to Wrigley, but it's quite clear that they have lost touch with their principles and the portion of their fanbase that is not wealthy. In 94, when they were trying to keep prices to 18 bucks ($31 in today's dollars) they were one of the biggest bands in the world. They were choosing to leave money on the table because it was the right thing to do. And I know they spoke specifically about the portion of their fans who were teenagers. And yeah those fans are middle aged now but it doesn't mean they can all pay 175 a ticket, let alone 800 for a "premium" seat. Pearl Jam no longer cares about those fans. I still like the band, but it's pretty disappointing.
  • Options
    What did you expect after the member bundle, in the shop, went from $20 to $140?
    Can’t wait to see the merch prices. 🤣
    Tell the captain
    'This boats not safe
    And we're drowning.'
  • Options
    AlaGAlaG Brookline, MA Posts: 886
    The thought that the band does not have control over these prices or does not approve of them is naive. I am still shelling out and going to Wrigley, but it's quite clear that they have lost touch with their principles and the portion of their fanbase that is not wealthy. In 94, when they were trying to keep prices to 18 bucks ($31 in today's dollars) they were one of the biggest bands in the world. They were choosing to leave money on the table because it was the right thing to do. And I know they spoke specifically about the portion of their fans who were teenagers. And yeah those fans are middle aged now but it doesn't mean they can all pay 175 a ticket, let alone 800 for a "premium" seat. Pearl Jam no longer cares about those fans. I still like the band, but it's pretty disappointing.
    Surely the alternative isn't just putting up a bunch of $30 tickets though. That's just asking for you to get scalped and for more fans to get hosed on the secondary market. Add to that $30 tickets probably wouldn't even buy airfare for their whole crew and all their gear to get from one venue to the next.
  • Options
    Genuinely have no idea how they're going to sell even half of the tickets at this price. It's either going to be Motley Crew at Wembley style empty, or they're going to have to make an admission they got it wrong and reduce prices on the less desirable seats. 

• Options
    SHZASHZA St. Louis, MO USA Posts: 3,318
    KidAOK said:
    Selling your product for what the market will bear is inexcusable? 
  • Options
    southpsouthp Posts: 272
    edited February 23
    What's missing in all of this is the counter-argument to inflation and how the entire music industry has been turned on it's head since PJ vs. Ticketmaster.  The artists are probably making a fraction on their albums/streams compared to what it was with CD sales in the 90's. Over the last several years concert prices have increased because this is now the primary money-maker for bands.  

Not saying I love paying $149 USD for 10C tix, but just trying to look at the how things have changed.  As for "PJ Premium at $900"... that's a whole other story.
    Post edited by southp on
  • Options
    Wolf359Wolf359 Posts: 75
    SHZA said:
    KidAOK said:

No, chalking up the pricing structure/premium/platinum as a Ticketmaster issue is inexcusable. The band/management sets the prices. TM is the middleman who happily takes a cut. Simple as that. 
  • Options
    AlaG said:
    Surely the alternative isn't just putting up a bunch of $30 tickets though. That's just asking for you to get scalped and for more fans to get hosed on the secondary market. Add to that $30 tickets probably wouldn't even buy airfare for their whole crew and all their gear to get from one venue to the next.
    Yeah, I'm not saying it would be an outrage for them to stray from their 18 dollar policy somewhat. I guess I'm bothered the most by the fact that there was no attempt to have a reasonable price point for some tickets, combined with the outrageous premium prices. Frankly, when you pay a ton of money to a scalper, it doesn't feel as bad because you have no respect for the scalper. But to feel like your favorite band is trying to fleece people, that stings.
  • Options
    southp said:
    What's missing in all of this is the counter-argument to inflation is that the entire music industry has been turned on it's head since PJ vs. Ticketmaster.  The artists are probably making a fraction on their albums/streams compared to what it was with CD sales in the 90's. Over the last several years concert prices have increased because this is now the primary money-maker for bands.  

Not saying I love paying $149 USD for 10C tix, but just trying to look at the how things have change.  As for "PJ Premium at $900"... that's a whole other story.
    Completely fair point. But it's going to be a lot more expensive for them to play to 15k people in 60k seater stadium which is what it's looking like in London. I guarantee if tickets were 110 it would have almost sold out by now. 120 and it would be 3 quarters gone. 160 is just so much for their appeal in this market that the general public are just not having it.
  • Options
    The simplest explanation is usually the best one. The band really likes money which explains the ticket prices.. 
  • Options
    edited February 23
    Wolf359 said:
    SHZA said:
    KidAOK said:

No, chalking up the pricing structure/premium/platinum as a Ticketmaster issue is inexcusable. The band/management sets the prices. TM is the middleman who happily takes a cut. Simple as that. 
    Chalking it up as a Ticketmaster issue would be fans making excuses. Setting the prices where they are is what apparently is being described as inexcusable. So the answer to my question is yes 
    Post edited by SHZA on
  • Options
    edited February 23
    AlaG said:
    Yeah, I'm not saying it would be an outrage for them to stray from their 18 dollar policy somewhat. I guess I'm bothered the most by the fact that there was no attempt to have a reasonable price point for some tickets, combined with the outrageous premium prices. Frankly, when you pay a ton of money to a scalper, it doesn't feel as bad because you have no respect for the scalper. But to feel like your favorite band is trying to fleece people, that stings.
    Yeah. I feel that. And I do think to some extent when folks acquire new means, they still complain about the macroeconomic environment and how "everything is so expensive nowadays, so it has to be this way." And sure there's some truth to that. But I'm still seeing the poor getting poorer and the rich getting richer as well.
  • Options
    SHZA said:
    KidAOK said:

"Selling your product for what the market will bear": sounds like the right philosophy for a band who wrote a song called Green Disease.
  • Options
    Wolf359 said:
    SHZA said:
    KidAOK said:

Or that paying to be a member in the fan club (over 20 years in my case) should mean something more that getting a ticket 4 sections down from the stage on the side, 5 rows from the back of the section in the middle of the row when there are tons of seats sold at prices that are better 4x higher. . 

"...what a different life had i not found this love with you..."
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,325
    I’m keeping my membership active for one reason the farewell tour it’s 35$ for year not a big deal! The disappointment is with the band signing off on the premium seat, it really cuts into the fans that can attend the shows. Remember that MSG show when Ed stated how many 10C fans were in attendance didn’t he say something like 5k were present? I wonder how many 10C members will actually be there for these shows in September 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    southp said:
    What's missing in all of this is the counter-argument to inflation is that the entire music industry has been turned on it's head since PJ vs. Ticketmaster.  The artists are probably making a fraction on their albums/streams compared to what it was with CD sales in the 90's. Over the last several years concert prices have increased because this is now the primary money-maker for bands.  

Not saying I love paying $149 USD for 10C tix, but just trying to look at the how things have change.  As for "PJ Premium at $900"... that's a whole other story.
    Completely fair point. But it's going to be a lot more expensive for them to play to 15k people in 60k seater stadium which is what it's looking like in London. I guarantee if tickets were 110 it would have almost sold out by now. 120 and it would be 3 quarters gone. 160 is just so much for their appeal in this market that the general public are just not having it.
    And, also there are plenty of bands that tour and play venues from as low as 200 to 2,000 that charge between $20-40 ticket that make even less on streams, and they seem to make it work. 
    "...what a different life had i not found this love with you..."
  • Options
    SHZA said:
    KidAOK said:

"Selling your product for what the market will bear": sounds like the right philosophy for a band who wrote a song called Green Disease.
    Hypocrisy, ok. But inexcusable? 
  • Options
    TN49724TN49724 Posts: 99
    edited February 23
    The saddest part about the complaining is that the band does not care.  Not one bit.  They are wealthy beyond their wildest imaginations.  These are not the same youthful rebels everyone fell for 30 years ago.  
    Post edited by TN49724 on
  • Options
    edited February 23
    southp said:

And, also there are plenty of bands that tour and play venues from as low as 200 to 2,000 that charge between $20-40 ticket that make even less on streams, and they seem to make it work. 
    Bands doing this are basically paying to tour. They're not making it work unless they're a solo act or have really excellent merch lol.
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,475
    These "premium" ticket prices were happening no matter what.  If the best seats in the house were priced at $175 they would have all been grabbed by people with connections and bots and then posted at premium prices on the resale market.  People are dreaming if they think they were going to drop into the Ticketmaster online sale at 10am and grab 2 floor seats for cheap.  They would be gone long before you had a chance to get them in your cart.  PJ Premium is just transferring the markup from a scalper to the band.  If someone is going to get that money it should be the band. 
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    KidAOKKidAOK Posts: 90
    SHZA said:
    KidAOK said:
    A close to 70% increase (I think I have that number right) in ticket prices since their last European tour is inexcusable.  And the market is clearly telling us it's too expensive.
  • Options
    Left out of all this pricing discourse is that, let's be honest, the shows are about 20-30%% shorter then they traditionally were through 2018.  Just a few examples of # of songs: 2018 Wrigley 32/29, 2023 Chi UC 24/24, 2018 London 27/33, 2022 Imola/London 22, 2022 Nashville 23. 

2024 prices are 45% higher then 2018 & 2x higher then 2016. 

I think this will be their last big worldwide tour; as the promotion seems to be everywhere for this album.
    192xxx
    6/26+27/98, 10/8/00 (IB), 6/21/03, 9/3+4/11 (PJ20) - East Troy
    6/29/98, 10/9/00, 6/18/03, 5/16+17/06, 8/23+24/09, 8/20+22/16, 8/18+20/18, *8/29+31/24 - Chicago
    6/6/03 - Las Vegas
    10/5/04, 9/18/22 - St. Louis
    6/29/06, 10/20/14 - Milwaukee
    11/19/13 - Phoenix
    4/26/16 - Lexington

• Options
    Left out of all this pricing discourse is that, let's be honest, the shows are about 20-30%% shorter then they traditionally were through 2018.  Just a few examples of # of songs: 2018 Wrigley 32/29, 2023 Chi UC 24/24, 2018 London 27/33, 2022 Imola/London 22, 2022 Nashville 23. 

I think this will be their last big worldwide tour; as the promotion seems to be everywhere for this album.
    But also FWIW the band has been performing at a level I wasn't seeing when they were doing 3 1/2 hour shows. Maybe I've just been lucky in picking shows but to me the difference is noticeable.
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,475

Maybe the last maybe not.  I remember in 2006 thinking the band was probably near the end.  Yet here we are in 2024.  :rock_on:
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore