Options

Ticket prices. This is not for you (the fans).

Comments

• Options
    kmcmanuskmcmanus Posts: 647
    The thought that the band does not have control over these prices or does not approve of them is naive. I am still shelling out and going to Wrigley, but it's quite clear that they have lost touch with their principles and the portion of their fanbase that is not wealthy. In 94, when they were trying to keep prices to 18 bucks ($31 in today's dollars) they were one of the biggest bands in the world. They were choosing to leave money on the table because it was the right thing to do. And I know they spoke specifically about the portion of their fans who were teenagers. And yeah those fans are middle aged now but it doesn't mean they can all pay 175 a ticket, let alone 800 for a "premium" seat. Pearl Jam no longer cares about those fans. I still like the band, but it's pretty disappointing.
    Has it occurred to you that 2 years of spotty shows at “venues” they had to
    basically build themselves maybe played a role in them STOPPING being one of the biggest bands in the world? Or that if they didn’t have the clout to change things when they WERE that big then they definitely don’t now?
    They tried. They lost resoundingly. And yet people get mad they aren’t signing up to do it again.
  • Options
    kmcmanuskmcmanus Posts: 647
    KidAOK said:
    SHZA said:
    KidAOK said:
    It's really disappointing to see fans making excuses for the inexcusable.
    Selling your product for what the market will bear is inexcusable? 
    A close to 70% increase (I think I have that number right) in ticket prices since their last European tour is inexcusable.  And the market is clearly telling us it's too expensive.
    Their last European tour was sold in January 2020 despite being performed in ‘22. I wonder if anything notable happened in the world in that 4 years? If those shows had been sold in ‘22 they would have been higher. So the whole “doubled in only 2 years” thing is lacking some nuance.
  • Options
    NewJPageNewJPage Posts: 3,304
    Had 2 seats in the 200 level for Wrigley pulled and couldn't do it. Not paying $350+ for bad seats in a bad venue for a 2 hour show. Whole thing leaves a bad taste in my mouth.
    6/26/98, 8/17/00, 10/8/00, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 4/25/03, 5/28/03, 6/1/03, 6/3/03, 6/5/03, 6/6/03, 6/12/03, 6/13/03, 6/15/03, 6/18/03, 6/21/03, 6/22/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03, 10/3/04, 10/5/04, 9/9/05, 9/11/05, 9/16/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, 5/19/06, 6/30/06, 7/23/06, 8/5/07, 6/30/08, 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 5/4/10, 5/7/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/11/13, 10/17/14, 8/20/16
  • Options
    lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 12,094
    I'm out too. This is no longer for me. It stinks. 
    I won't be renewing. And won't be going to any shows. They totally misread the room. Sad times
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    Wolf359Wolf359 Posts: 75
    kmcmanus said:
    The thought that the band does not have control over these prices or does not approve of them is naive. I am still shelling out and going to Wrigley, but it's quite clear that they have lost touch with their principles and the portion of their fanbase that is not wealthy. In 94, when they were trying to keep prices to 18 bucks ($31 in today's dollars) they were one of the biggest bands in the world. They were choosing to leave money on the table because it was the right thing to do. And I know they spoke specifically about the portion of their fans who were teenagers. And yeah those fans are middle aged now but it doesn't mean they can all pay 175 a ticket, let alone 800 for a "premium" seat. Pearl Jam no longer cares about those fans. I still like the band, but it's pretty disappointing.
    basically build themselves maybe played a role in them STOPPING being one of the biggest bands in the world? Or that if they didn’t have the clout to change things when they WERE that big then they definitely don’t now?
    They tried. They lost resoundingly. And yet people get mad they aren’t signing up to do it again.

I dont think anyone is asking them to take on TM again like in the mid 90s. But it'd be nice if they got rid of platinums/premiums like The Cure did. It's in their control.
  • Options
    Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Temple of the cat Posts: 14,346
    I found the prices shocking, I checked back to the tickets in my account, and in 2016 I would have gotten 4 for the price of 2 now. Touring has always been exciting but also always a strain on the wallet. Everything is more expensive doesn't mean everybody also gets paid more. I am happy we get to see them three more times but this then may have been it.
  • Options
    KidAOKKidAOK Posts: 90
    kmcmanus said:
    KidAOK said:
    SHZA said:
    KidAOK said:
    It's really disappointing to see fans making excuses for the inexcusable.
    Selling your product for what the market will bear is inexcusable? 
    A close to 70% increase (I think I have that number right) in ticket prices since their last European tour is inexcusable.  And the market is clearly telling us it's too expensive.
    Their last European tour was sold in January 2020 despite being performed in ‘22. I wonder if anything notable happened in the world in that 4 years? If those shows had been sold in ‘22 they would have been higher. So the whole “doubled in only 2 years” thing is lacking some nuance.
    Why are you quoting the doubled in only 2 years when I didn't even mention that?

I'll remove the nuance.  A show priced in 2020 being close to 70% more expensive 4 years later is inexcusable even though you are trying.
  • Options
    kmcmanus said:
    It has occurred to me, dude. I'm not asking them to go on some crusade. I've seen them at Ticketmaster venues since 98 with typically fairly reasonable prices. This is different. It's a cash grab.
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,029
    mace1229 said:
    $200 probably is normal for a band of this caliber. Obviously there are lots of well known bands you can see for less. But the trend is to charge more for shows, and people are willing to do it.
    Honestly, who here wouldn't?
    Would anyone here open a restaurant, sell out every single night, have huge demand, and not raise prices when you are turning away customers every day? Or make a little extra money so your kids can continue the same lifestyle you've given them even after you're gone? The price sucks, but I don't blame them for it. 

The ticket sales speak volumes. $200 in America might be acceptable, but £160 in London definitely isn't.
    And if thats the case, my guess is bands will stop touring over seas. Why do all that travel and added expess of traveling over seas for half the pay?
  • Options
    Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,095
    The prices are ridiculous. It’s really hard to defend PJ here knowing what they’ve stood for all these years. They have changed. Pearl Jam is a brand now. Other than the make up Indy show which I already have tickets for, I too am sadly sitting this tour out. I didn’t think I would ever be typing this. So many things have added up slowly and has dampened my excitement about PJ. 

Here’s a few:
    - ticket prices
    - no more fan club t or vinyl
    - much shorter shows
    - the insane merch frenzy and lines
    - shipping prices through 10c
    - vinyl price of Dark Matter

I get the “reasons” behind most of this and the band has certainly earned the right to do whatever they want but it doesn’t change the fact of how some of us feel that have been here since the beginning. It bums me out. I do love the new single and I’m excited to hear the rest of Dark Matter but I can’t help all the negative feelings I’ve been having surrounding my favorite band of all time. 
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    I'm a bit appalled myself. I happened to see my old 2013 10C tix in my account. A PAIR of GA tix for $156 CAD. Holy fuck.
    My first show in 1998 was $28. The difference between then and your 2013 show is about the same time between 2013 and now. There was an even bigger jump from 1998-2013.
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,748
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    $200 probably is normal for a band of this caliber. Obviously there are lots of well known bands you can see for less. But the trend is to charge more for shows, and people are willing to do it.
    Would anyone here open a restaurant, sell out every single night, have huge demand, and not raise prices when you are turning away customers every day? Or make a little extra money so your kids can continue the same lifestyle you've given them even after you're gone? The price sucks, but I don't blame them for it. 

The ticket sales speak volumes. $200 in America might be acceptable, but £160 in London definitely isn't.
    And if thats the case, my guess is bands will stop touring over seas. Why do all that travel and added expess of traveling over seas for half the pay?
    Well to make up for any lost money, they'll charge $400 for a nosebleed seat to their next tour.

Personally, I've felt that PJ's greed over the past decade and half is tied to the fact that they left a LOT of money on the table in the 90's. From not promoting albums with music videos, to choosing weird lead-singles, to missing out on touring revenue during their fight against Ticketmaster. They probably made a boatlad of money in the 90's, but not nearly what they could've made. So they're making up for it all now. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    AB285441AB285441 Posts: 120
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

Well to make up for any lost money, they'll charge $400 for a nosebleed seat to their next tour.

Personally, I've felt that PJ's greed over the past decade and half is tied to the fact that they left a LOT of money on the table in the 90's. From not promoting albums with music videos, to choosing weird lead-singles, to missing out on touring revenue during their fight against Ticketmaster. They probably made a boatlad of money in the 90's, but not nearly what they could've made. So they're making up for it all now. 
    If I am them, I am tired of dealing with the BS, so I am leaving it up to my managers and lawyers...I don't see them have the green disease
  • Options
    PorchgirlCOPorchgirlCO Colorado Posts: 1,375
    edited February 23
    I’ll be sitting this one out as well. It’s such a shame prices have gone up so much that some long-term fans can’t afford to go now. Bummer.
    Post edited by PorchgirlCO on
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me...

Orlando 4/24/92 & 8/23/92, Miami 3/28/94, Ft Laud 10/7/96, Alpine Valley 6/26/98, Missoula 9/30/12, EV Jax 11/24/12 & 11/25/12, Chicago (Wrigley) 7/19/13, Charlottesville 10/29/13, Charlotte 10/30/13, Tulsa 10/8/14, Lincoln 10/9/14, Denver 10/22/14, Jacksonville 4/12/16, Greenville 4/16/16, Telluride 7/9/16, Boston (Fenway) 8/5/16 & 8/7/16, Seattle (Safeco) 8/10/18, Boston (Fenway) 9/2/18 & 9/4/18, Dana Point 10/1/21 & 10/2/21, MSG 9/11/22, Denver 9/22/22, Austin 9/18/23 & 9/19/23.
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

Yeah, I've thought something that too. Not about the making it up now part, but how they played the 90s.
    I can get not wanting to be idolized when you just want to make music. But they must have left a lot on the table from not promoting themselves and the singles they picked.
    Of course, the money they lost in 1992 is probably made up in 1 Wrigley show. 
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,661
    edited February 23
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

Perhaps.... but it is kinda interesting to see that the poorest members of the band have net worths of about $70 million, lol.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    BF25394BF25394 Posts: 3,468
    Wilco87 said:
    mace1229 said:
    As a disabled person I've had to pay for 2 tickets as Ticketmaster doesn't seem to recognise the disabled button.. Incase you didn't know if I are disabled...walking.....you can email the ticket companies and they should automatically let me buy 2 tickets and one free for my career..as it is I'm up a bit but got tickets so hey ho . lolol
    Tried to get Barcelona tickets but that was Fubar 
    A free ticket for your career?
    They obviously meant ‘carer’.   Stop being weird.  
    I don't think it was "weird". I was just as perplexed. Makes more sense.

On a side note, if the "care giver" role requires extremely minimal medical knowledge/training and limited physical effort, I would love to pursue a side hustle as a "care giver" to take those wishing to attend a show (or sporting event).
    I think I first came across the term "carer" in Kazuo Ishiguro's Never Let Me Go, which I recommend.
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • Options
    Not defending it because the whole thing is gross but I think part of this is bands are starting to say screw it we are charging x and we are getting the money instead of charging $90 lets say and some other person is taking that ticket and charging $180. Theya re almost trying to outprice the resale market in a way. 
  • Options
    I’ll be sitting this one out as well. It’s such a shame prices have gone up so much that some long-term fans can’t afford to go now. Bummer.
    If you don't already know them, check out Black Belt Eagle Scout; playing Globe on March 26th for $28 (including fees) with two local openers. 
    "...what a different life had i not found this love with you..."
  • Options
    BF25394BF25394 Posts: 3,468
    The prices are ridiculous. It’s really hard to defend PJ here knowing what they’ve stood for all these years. They have changed. Pearl Jam is a brand now. Other than the make up Indy show which I already have tickets for, I too am sadly sitting this tour out. I didn’t think I would ever be typing this. So many things have added up slowly and has dampened my excitement about PJ. 

Here’s a few:
    - ticket prices
    - much shorter shows

I get the “reasons” behind most of this and the band has certainly earned the right to do whatever they want but it doesn’t change the fact of how some of us feel that have been here since the beginning. It bums me out. I do love the new single and I’m excited to hear the rest of Dark Matter but I can’t help all the negative feelings I’ve been having surrounding my favorite band of all time. 
    I can see why the first three things might bother you (although the shorter sets are fine by me; it's quality, not quantity, I'm after). But with the respect to the last three things:

Don't give a shit about merch, and that will solve one of your issues. Are you a PJ fan for the merch, or for the music?

Don't buy vinyl, which is a luxury item given that the same music is available on CD for a lot cheaper, and that will solve another one of your issues.

Don't buy from the Ten Club, but from your local retailer or record store, and that solves another one of your issues.
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,937
    TN49724 said:
    The saddest part about the complaining is that the band does not care.  Not one bit.  They are wealthy beyond their wildest imaginations.  These are not the same youthful rebels everyone fell for 30 years ago.  
    bingo
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    chiefnjkchiefnjk Posts: 302
    When does F2F start?
  • Options
    AlaGAlaG Brookline, MA Posts: 886
    edited February 23
    BF25394 said:

Here’s a few:
    - ticket prices
    - much shorter shows

I can see why the first three things might bother you (although the shorter sets are fine by me; it's quality, not quantity, I'm after). But with the respect to the last three things:

Don't give a shit about merch, and that will solve one of your issues. Are you a PJ fan for the merch, or for the music?

Don't buy vinyl, which is a luxury item given that the same music is available on CD for a lot cheaper, and that will solve another one of your issues.

Don't buy from the Ten Club, but from your local retailer or record store, and that solves another one of your issues.
    One of the upsides to the shorter shows from my perspective is that I can finally take friends who are mildly interested in attending a Pearl Jam show with me without asking them to sit through a marathon!

And yeah...the band has been performing way better since set lists got shored up a bit with Gigaton. It needed to happen at some point and they're finding other ways to deliver imo.
  • Options
    SHZASHZA St. Louis, MO USA Posts: 3,317
    Not defending it because the whole thing is gross but I think part of this is bands are starting to say screw it we are charging x and we are getting the money instead of charging $90 lets say and some other person is taking that ticket and charging $180. Theya re almost trying to outprice the resale market in a way. 
    Absolutely. Why should a ticket broker who does nothing but flips make more money than the actual artist? 
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,748
    mcgruff10 said:
    TN49724 said:
    The saddest part about the complaining is that the band does not care.  Not one bit.  They are wealthy beyond their wildest imaginations.  These are not the same youthful rebels everyone fell for 30 years ago.  
    bingo

2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    AlaGAlaG Brookline, MA Posts: 886
    edited February 23
    SHZA said:
    Absolutely. Why should a ticket broker who does nothing but flips make more money than the actual artist? 
    I think a lot of artists have begun thinking this way. I think what they need to figure out though is does it just set the prices even higher for regular people? Apparently for some folks there is no upper limit on what they are willing to pay.
    Post edited by AlaG on
  • Options
    CaliforniaSun77CaliforniaSun77 Los Angeles, CA Posts: 10
    Except, you can strongly curtail resale over face in most areas. Ticketmaster can require all resale happen on their site for face value. It won't eliminate it but it reduces it a ton. I will never forget them testing the live barcode at a Black Keys show at the Wiltern. People had done the usual PDF of the ticket resale, and were shut out. It was chaos. This is now standard and works well.
  • Options
    bigbiggzybigbiggzy Posts: 714
    It does beg the question - what is the future of live music / concerts?  

Post Covid - it’s been nuts. Clearly not sustainable for the long run. 
  • Options
    hadrieliahadrielia Posts: 123
    I think blaming re sellers for the prices is just an excuse. Easy way to stop them is F2F sale and enforce buyer ID when entering the venue. Biffy Clyro in UK has done this in the past for exclusive gigs with success. Yes it has downsides if you cannot attend for whatever reason you lose the money.

I guess it is better to be paid $800 per ticket, that doing what's right.
    06/06/17 - Eddie Vedder - Hammersmith Apollo - London /////  09/06/17 - Eddie Vedder - 3Arena - Dublin ///// 19/06/18 - Pearl Jam - O2 - London ////// 10/07/18 - Pearl Jam - Palau Sant Jordi - Barcelona ////// 12/07/18 - Pearl Jam - Mad Cool Festival - Madrid ////// 14/07/18 -Pearl Jam - NOS Alive Festival - Lisbon
  • Options
    AB285441AB285441 Posts: 120
    bigbiggzy said:
    It does beg the question - what is the future of live music / concerts?  

Post Covid - it’s been nuts. Clearly not sustainable for the long run. 
    My colleague said he purchased a VR headset and connected it to his streaming service and watched an NBA game live, courtside.  Said it was just like being there...not the experience I would seek, but where are we going....