Options

Ticket prices. This is not for you (the fans).

Comments

• Options
    kmcmanuskmcmanus Posts: 669
    BF25394 said:
    But what does Kurt have to say about it today?
    Dying young sure is advantageous for punk cred
  • Options
    drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,410
    ilockyer said:
    YAKIMATSU said:
    I wonder if they will ever go back to Europe.  Maybe they should wait like five years to create some scarcity.  It seems that going every two years doesn't meet the market demand.
    They have always sold out their EU tours really rapidly, most venues sold within a day, extra nights added, while visiting every 2 years. Market demand has always been here in terms of people wanting to attend the shows.
    The only thing that's changed is the significant increase in ticket pricing here this time, which has brought their prices in line with those in the USA. People are just looking at it and saying that, while they want to go, they can't justify the prices. I know of at least 10-15 friends who are 10C members who were planning 4-6 shows as normal but are now only doing 1, maybe 2, at most. Some aren't doing any because they aren't prepared to support the price rise. 
    So your friends aren’t happy unless they can see multiple shows at a price that suits them? I think we, the fan base, has been misjudged for willingness to travel perhaps and that’s how shows get filled repeatedly. 

I think it also proves that prices were perhaps too low if the norm for a lot of people is multiple shows. 
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • Options
    SHZASHZA St. Louis, MO USA Posts: 3,428
    ilockyer said:
    Get_Right said:
    ponner1us said:
    Get_Right said:
    It is amazing how naive and uninformed many fans are about ticket pricing and the concert industry, and how much has changed since the band took on ticketmaster 30 years ago!  The band could charge much more than $185 if they really wanted to be greedy. The non-10C high prices you see now will be adjusted to reflect true demand as the shows get closer. This is the new reality, micro management of each individual seat. Do not buy now, but there is no guarantee prices will go down for high demand shows. When I have had to bite the bullet, it was a decent seat for MSG around $500.
    Yes, most of us are bumbling idiots, thank you for the expansive education, it was very enlightening. I feel as if I now understand all of the intricacies involved in the current pricing system. I had no idea that capitalism, free market, and supply & demand were all factors to consider… Wow!!!
    Free market has nothing to do with it. And yes, many people are just bashing the band without knowing the real reason why tickets are more expensive. And they cannot cite one band other than the Cure that is not charging more for their tickets.
    People aren't talking about The Cure just because they're cheaper, it's because they proved that TM can be stood up to regarding the variable pricing. Which, accordingly to many posters here and on FB, can't be done! 
    The Cure is charging more for their tickets. I paid $100 for GA in Chicago in 2016. In 2023, I paid as much as $275 for standard price tickets (New Orleans, front row). Most of the lower level tickets were probably in the $140 range but the first few rows were over $200. They did reject platinum/variable and sensibly charged much less for upper level seats. 
  • Options
    bootlegbootleg Posts: 591
    NM70698 said:
    Using the ticket master filters, I see no difference between the “Standard” and “PJ Premium” prices.  The only difference is seat location.  Searching Sacramento and Los Angeles, the cheapest “standard” tickets were uppers for $175 plus fees.  All lowers were priced close $500 and up.  As best I can tell, the high $400 range is the starting “face value” price for any section were you would actually want to sit.  Am I wrong?  Did any person buy lower bowl seats for less than $500 per ticket with fees?
    The filters for some shows don’t quite work correctly.  They still list the option for standard but there are no actual standard tickets left.  In these cases the seats that don’t meet your filter criteria will turn light blue.  If there are still standards left after filtering they will be dark blue.
  • Options
    NM70698 said:
    Using the ticket master filters, I see no difference between the “Standard” and “PJ Premium” prices.  The only difference is seat location.  Searching Sacramento and Los Angeles, the cheapest “standard” tickets were uppers for $175 plus fees.  All lowers were priced close $500 and up.  As best I can tell, the high $400 range is the starting “face value” price for any section were you would actually want to sit.  Am I wrong?  Did any person buy lower bowl seats for less than $500 per ticket with fees?
    Everyone who won in the lottery got lower bowl seats for $185 per ticket with fees, which is the "Standard" price.

You say you don't see a difference but then say you see "standard" for $175 and "premium" for $400+. How is that not a difference between standard and premium pricing? 
  • Options
    brobertbrobert Posts: 62
    SHZA said:
    ilockyer said:
    Get_Right said:
    ponner1us said:
    Get_Right said:
    It is amazing how naive and uninformed many fans are about ticket pricing and the concert industry, and how much has changed since the band took on ticketmaster 30 years ago!  The band could charge much more than $185 if they really wanted to be greedy. The non-10C high prices you see now will be adjusted to reflect true demand as the shows get closer. This is the new reality, micro management of each individual seat. Do not buy now, but there is no guarantee prices will go down for high demand shows. When I have had to bite the bullet, it was a decent seat for MSG around $500.
    Yes, most of us are bumbling idiots, thank you for the expansive education, it was very enlightening. I feel as if I now understand all of the intricacies involved in the current pricing system. I had no idea that capitalism, free market, and supply & demand were all factors to consider… Wow!!!
    Free market has nothing to do with it. And yes, many people are just bashing the band without knowing the real reason why tickets are more expensive. And they cannot cite one band other than the Cure that is not charging more for their tickets.
    People aren't talking about The Cure just because they're cheaper, it's because they proved that TM can be stood up to regarding the variable pricing. Which, accordingly to many posters here and on FB, can't be done! 
    The Cure is charging more for their tickets. I paid $100 for GA in Chicago in 2016. In 2023, I paid as much as $275 for standard price tickets (New Orleans, front row). Most of the lower level tickets were probably in the $140 range but the first few rows were over $200. They did reject platinum/variable and sensibly charged much less for upper level seats. 
    I paid 160 for 7th row on the side for the Cure in 2023.
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,480
    ilockyer said:
    Get_Right said:
    ponner1us said:
    Get_Right said:

They did not stand up to ticketmaster. They proved the artist does have a say, and they helped scalpers make millions off their shows.
  • Options
    SHZA said:
    NM70698 said:
    Everyone who won in the lottery got lower bowl seats for $185 per ticket with fees, which is the "Standard" price.

You say you don't see a difference but then say you see "standard" for $175 and "premium" for $400+. How is that not a difference between standard and premium pricing? 

Not in New York. The best lower bowl seats will be sold at higher prices.
  • Options
    ponner1usponner1us Posts: 738
    Free market, i.e., supply and demand, has a lot to do with it. And from what I’ve seen, most people are complaining about dynamic or platinum pricing, not the price increase for tickets, they are not one and the same.  People are citing the Cure as an example because they were against and didn’t use dynamic or platinum pricing and it was still a very profitable tour. 

From Consequence.net

The Cure Left Millions of Dollars on the Table, and Still Had the Highest-Grossing Tour of Their Career

"Shows of a Lost World" was the highest-grossing North American tour of the band's career

Moral of the story? It’s possible to protect fans, sell affordable tickets, and still make millions.
    Journey Begins: 1992-08-15, Montage Mountain Performing Arts Center,
    Scranton, Pennsylvania

Journey Ends:
  • Options
    Get_Right said:
    SHZA said:
    NM70698 said:

Not in New York. The best lower bowl seats will be sold at higher prices.
    Premium, yes. That's true everywhere, not just N.Y. Standard pricing is $185 (plus tax). 
  • Options
    ponner1us said:
    Free market, i.e., supply and demand, has a lot to do with it. And from what I’ve seen, most people are complaining about dynamic or platinum pricing, not the price increase for tickets, they are not one and the same.  People are citing the Cure as an example because they were against and didn’t use dynamic or platinum pricing and it was still a very profitable tour. 

From Consequence.net

The Cure Left Millions of Dollars on the Table, and Still Had the Highest-Grossing Tour of Their Career

"Shows of a Lost World" was the highest-grossing North American tour of the band's career

Moral of the story? It’s possible to protect fans, sell affordable tickets, and still make millions.

And let scalpers make millions off your art. I guess Robert Smith did not care about that.  Most other artists do.
  • Options
    ponner1us said:

From Consequence.net

This thread started as a complaint about the increase in standard pricing to 160 GBP. If PJ omitted platinum, maybe it would have been 200. 
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,360
    These pricing debates are a lost cause! The band is not going back on anything that’s in place now how many years do you guys think they have left as a touring band maybe 10 more years 20? It is what it is. The hardest part for us fans is letting go of the need to see them perform I went through it.
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    ponner1usponner1us Posts: 738
    Get_Right said:
    ponner1us said:

From Consequence.net

And let scalpers make millions off your art. I guess Robert Smith did not care about that.  Most other artists do.
    Robert Smith kept prices low, didn’t use dynamic pricing, kept tickets non-transferable, had excessive Ticketmaster fees refunded to the consumers, etc…Defend Pearl Jam all you want, it’s incredibly complex. But your statement about the Cure and Robert Smith is completely false, other than Pearl Jam back in the 90s, he’s been the one of the few artists/musicians who has stood up and battled with Ticketmaster.  I’m beginning to think that you might be the one who doesn’t understand the ticket system. I’m not going to continue to argue with people who think PJ is completely blameless in this whole debacle. 
    Journey Begins: 1992-08-15, Montage Mountain Performing Arts Center,
    Scranton, Pennsylvania

Journey Ends:
  • Options
    Get_Right said:
    ponner1us said:

From Consequence.net

It's not fair to say he didn't care. TM claimed that the tickets were supposed to be non-transferable, i.e., not scalpable. I don't think he should have foreseen that the transfer restrictions would not be effective.
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,246
    I get the prices are gonna be higher and that’s fine to me. My issue is just give me the damn price ahead of time so I can decide prior to logging on if I want to pay that price.  The verified fan sale where you don’t know the price until you click on a seat sucks and leads to people being pissed off.  Just give me the price ahead of time even if it’s premium
  • Options
    ilockyerilockyer Posts: 2,249
    SHZA said:
    ponner1us said:

This thread started as a complaint about the increase in standard pricing to 160 GBP. If PJ omitted platinum, maybe it would have been 200. 
    Putting aside my views on the pricing, given the amount of tickets remaining as of right now, I wonder how much difference that would actually have made? They have almost certainly sold enough tickets for these shows to go ahead and not lose either band or promoter any money. Worst case scenario for the band is they'll look out and see some empty seats over here for the first time.
    The secret to a happy ending is knowing when to roll the credits
  • Options
    kaw753kaw753 Posts: 766
    I feel like the one thing they could do to really piss the fans off would be to offer discounts on tickets that are better than the ones they gave out for 10c.
  • Options
    kaw753 said:
    I feel like the one thing they could do to really piss the fans off would be to offer discounts on tickets that are better than the ones they gave out for 10c.
    What were the discounts? For Manchester it was £163.00 via 10C when I requessted, and via TM it was £163.00 when I put a GA in the cart and went through to the click pay screen.
  • Options
    kaw753kaw753 Posts: 766
    ilockyer said:
    kaw753 said:
    What were the discounts? For Manchester it was £163.00 via 10C when I requessted, and via TM it was £163.00 when I put a GA in the cart and went through to the click pay screen.
    I mean discount them later closer to show time when they see they are not close to sold out.
  • Options
    kaw753 said:
    ilockyer said:
    kaw753 said:
    I mean discount them later closer to show time when they see they are not close to sold out.
    Got you! Thought I'd missed something in the 10C sale. 
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,691
    Get_Right said:
    ponner1us said:
    Get_Right said:
    What? I can site every band I've ever seen at the same local venue. I have literally never been to a show there where the worst upper level tickets were set at $208 face value. It is an insane price.

With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    SHZA said:
    Get_Right said:
    ponner1us said:

From Consequence.net

It's not fair to say he didn't care. TM claimed that the tickets were supposed to be non-transferable, i.e., not scalpable. I don't think he should have foreseen that the transfer restrictions would not be effective.

That is like saying dinosaurs cannot reproduce In Jurassic Park.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    Get_Right said:
    ponner1us said:
    Get_Right said:
    What? I can site every band I've ever seen at the same local venue. I have literally never been to a show there where the worst upper level tickets were set at $208 face value. It is an insane price.

There must be some accounting involved where it makes more financial sense for the band to offer tickets at the same price across the venue, but we will never get visibility to those numbers. 
  • Options
    GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 10,076
    pjhawks said:
    I get the prices are gonna be higher and that’s fine to me. My issue is just give me the damn price ahead of time so I can decide prior to logging on if I want to pay that price.  The verified fan sale where you don’t know the price until you click on a seat sucks and leads to people being pissed off.  Just give me the price ahead of time even if it’s premium
    Back in the day when all seats were the same price we used to get the price of the ticket beforehand (minus fees). I guess they can't do that now - but they could give a range from highest to lowest.

• Options
    edited February 24
    GlowGirl said:
    pjhawks said:
    Back in the day when all seats were the same price we used to get the price of the ticket beforehand (minus fees). I guess they can't do that now - but they could give a range from highest to lowest.

It is not that they can't, it is that they will not because verified fan sales are just a bait and switch for premium/dynamically priced tickets.
  • Options
    ChrrieChrrie Posts: 97
    edited February 24
    It seems to me that PJ is using less desirable seats to subsidize the best seats. $180 for PJ GA is less than Blink 182 (which uses dynamic pricing for all their tickets), foo fighters and even first few rows of the cure. Whereas those artists are using the most desirable seats to subsidize the lower cost of the uppers to get people who want to pay less in the building. 
    Post edited by Chrrie on
  • Options
    Get_Right said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Get_Right said:
    ponner1us said:
    Get_Right said:

There must be some accounting involved where it makes more financial sense for the band to offer tickets at the same price across the venue, but we will never get visibility to those numbers. 
    Virtually every other arena and stadium event uses a range of prices across the venue. Extremely doubtful that PJ has an accounting method that shows a single price makes more financial sense 
  • Options
    mattcozmattcoz Chicago Posts: 2,181
    SHZA said:
    Get_Right said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Get_Right said:
    ponner1us said:
    Get_Right said:

Virtually every other arena and stadium event uses a range of prices across the venue. Extremely doubtful that PJ has an accounting method that shows a single price makes more financial sense 
    They chose to make it their priority to keep ticket prices as low as possible for the long time club members. This was the compromise.

• Options
    NM70698NM70698 Posts: 76
    SHZA said:
    NM70698 said:

The “standard” price for lower bowl starts around $470 and goes to to roughly $900 or more.  But you answered my question about 10 club seats in the lower section.  I was genuinely confused because I got 10 Club waitlist and then got off the waitlist.  My 10 Club code gave me the privilege of buying a single lower bowl seat in the range of $500 to $900 with fees and tax.