Options

Ticket prices. This is not for you (the fans).

Comments

• Options
    devonfzdevonfz Posts: 150
    I think the prices are spot on and fair in my opinion if they want to make some extra money on premiums, it doesn’t bother me they are by far the best live band out there and deserve to make some money

also, the fan club and the band once again delivered all the GA tickets and a ton of great seats directly to the fans who else does this? When I am at a Pearl Jam show, I love the fact that everyone up close is a huge fan makes for a great time versus almost every other band where everybody up close is just corporate types, and people who have connections and can afford the expensive tickets

so once again for me big thank you to the band and the 10 club for the tickets and the job they did I can’t wait to see some shows 
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    GlowGirl said:
    Get_Right said:
    I got two PJ tickets to MSG for $350. I will take that. My Paul McCartney MSG tix were $350 EACH. Worth every penny to take my son to see a Beatle. How much are Neil Young's tickets?
    We do not need tiered pricing. Pay your fee and go see the show. There is no discount. It does not matter, go or do not.
    I bought a pretty good Neil Young ticket to the Virginia show for $139.  Subsequently sold it at face as I can’t go any more. 
    That’s great. Here Neil Young is around $250 for decent side stage tickets. 
    Neil and Gilmour are the most I have ever paid. Aside from Paul.
  • Options
    YourDirtisMyfoodYourDirtisMyfood Boston Posts: 4,518
    I was in loge for Elton though 
  • Options
    vedpunkvedpunk Posts: 830
    edited March 9
    I love Pearl Jam. But it’s also cute how the band seems to think they’re as popular as they were 18 years ago. 
    In certain parts of the US like Austin or Dallas, they are more popular now vs 18 years ago.  
    Post edited by vedpunk on
  • Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,872
    vedpunk said:
    I love Pearl Jam. But it’s also cute how the band seems to think they’re as popular as they were 18 years ago. 
    In certain parts of the US like Austin or Dallas, they are more popular now vs 18 years ago.  
    Why did they play in such small arenas in TX?
  • Options
    vedpunkvedpunk Posts: 830
    Moody Center is the largest arena in the city of Austin.  They sold out back to back nights. 
  • Options
    SHZASHZA St. Louis, MO USA Posts: 3,315
    PJNB said:
    vedpunk said:
    Why did they play in such small arenas in TX?
    Drake was at American Airlines in Dallas on those dates! 
  • Options
    THEBIBLEISTENTHEBIBLEISTEN Posts: 1,699
    devonfz said:
    I think the prices are spot on and fair in my opinion if they want to make some extra money on premiums, it doesn’t bother me they are by far the best live band out there and deserve to make some money

also, the fan club and the band once again delivered all the GA tickets and a ton of great seats directly to the fans who else does this? When I am at a Pearl Jam show, I love the fact that everyone up close is a huge fan makes for a great time versus almost every other band where everybody up close is just corporate types, and people who have connections and can afford the expensive tickets

so once again for me big thank you to the band and the 10 club for the tickets and the job they did I can’t wait to see some shows 
    +1
  • Options
    HaijayHaijay Posts: 331
    Go look at justin timberlake’s tour. Every show is packed with red dots for resale. Absolutely disgusting. THIS is what PJ is trying to stop, and their “fans” just crap on them. I would venture to say that this is more about greed, than a band that is forced to allow “premium” ticket pricing in order to secure more seats for their fanclub. Blame the game, not the players🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️
  • Options
    mpedonempedone 540xxx - Manchester, NH Posts: 1,890
    mpedone said:
    mace1229 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Chrrie said:
    PJ is a bigger brand than SP or =w=. 

That being said, Green Day and SP are playing Wrigley and their tickets were $20 more than PJ (after fees)
     I wouldn’t pay these prices for Green Day or SP, either. 
    U2 tickets at the Sphere cost me $140 each. They were excellent seats. And that concert experience is arguably the most extraordinary of any in history. It’s was amazing.  
    And U2 is a much bigger band than PJ.

And U2 GA was $250, red zone was $600, P1 was $500, and $$$$ VIP packages etc. They subsidized the $140 400 section with the better seats whereas PJ just made everything essentially the same price. Not saying either way is better than the other but you can’t just compare a band’s nosebleed section with PJ’s because they’re entirely different pricing strategies. 

I'll happily say which way is better. Tiered pricing is better. E.g. I think PJ GA could fairly be priced at $300/ticket and have the upper level priced under $100. That would be SO much better than the worst seat being the same price as the best seat. I can't see how anyone could argue against the theory of getting what you pay for.
    The only argument is would they lower the price of the bad seats, or just raise the prices of the good seats?
    That would be my argument. If nothing is going to be any cheaper, then there is no benefit to the fans other than people just being bitter they didn't get good seats. And anywhere that sells out, I doubt they'd be lowering any prices, only raising them.
    So for that reason, I'm happy with the one price system. 
    And this also can make it even more difficult to get tickets in the lottery. If GA/P1 is $300-400 a ticket, I'm probably putting in for the lower tiers. Essentially, the only people who are going to be able to pick any section are those able (or willing) to pay for the most expensive ticket.

So, yeah, it sucks that back row is the same cost as front row, but it's a way to allow people to select any available section and maximize their chance

But it drives up demand/reduces supply, and it is one of many PJ ticket policies driving up market prices and  why they are the only artist with the highest prices  not named swift. And is why the east coast shows now have “market rates” between $500 and $2000. Drive up demand, diminish supply. Basic economics. 

Imagine a supermarket has ten loaves of bread for everyone and that’s it, and nine  are priced at a dollar. What would the tenth loaf sell at? That’s why every other artist tries to match cost with value.
    Do you think that the tickets wouldn't still sell out? The Premium tickets are selling, so it seems safe to say that the "tiered" tickets would also sell, leaving us in the same supply/demand situation. I'd rather take my chances in the lottery for the whole arena rather than 25%-50% of what's available because the rest is too expensive.
    "I'm a lucky man, to count on both hands the [shows I've done]. Some folks just have one, others they got none..."

Hartford 10.02.96 | Mansfield 2 09.16.98 | Mansfield 1 08.29.00 | Mansfield 1 07.02.03 | Mansfield 3 07.11.03 | Boston 2 05.25.06 | Tampa 04.11.16 | Fenway 1 08.05.16 | Fenway 2 08.07.16 | Fenway 1 09.02.18 | Fenway 2 09.04.18 | Baltimore 03.28.20 | Hamilton 09.06.22 | Toronto 09.08.22 | Nashville 09.16.22 | St Louis 09.18.22

"He made the deal with the devil, we get to play with him.
    He goes to hell, of course. We're going to heaven."
  • Options
    On what basis does a person think PJ is less popular than they were in 2006, or just in general not that popular of a band. They have sold around 480,000 tickets for 20 arena/stadium shows in NA alone this tour. Yes, there are still  some premium, and yes, there will be fan to fan coming out, but these shows will all be sold out. AGAIN. What do you think would happen if they launched a 50 date NA tour?  The shows would all be 90-100 percent full.
      Australia will conservatively be around 320,000 tickets. Europe price debacle aside, the shows should be fine, and thats around ANOTHER 190,000 tickets. 
    Yep, probably be in clubs and theatres in a year or two……..
    Some people just seem to want them to fail, which is, uuummm, odd
  • Options
    ChrrieChrrie Posts: 96
    SHZA said:
    Chrrie said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Chrrie said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Chrrie said:

That being said, Green Day and SP are playing Wrigley and their tickets were $20 more than PJ (after fees)
    U2 tickets at the Sphere cost me $140 each. They were excellent seats. And that concert experience is arguably the most extraordinary of any in history. It’s was amazing.  

And U2 GA was $250, red zone was $600, P1 was $500, and $$$$ VIP packages etc. They subsidized the $140 400 section with the better seats whereas PJ just made everything essentially the same price. Not saying either way is better than the other but you can’t just compare a band’s nosebleed section with PJ’s because they’re entirely different pricing strategies. 

I'll happily say which way is better. Tiered pricing is better. E.g. I think PJ GA could fairly be priced at $300/ticket and have the upper level priced under $100. That would be SO much better than the worst seat being the same price as the best seat. I can't see how anyone could argue against the theory of getting what you pay for.
    I think it would be a shitshow if people with 5 digit and low 6 digit numbers were asked to pay a premium for their seniority seats and I don’t think just increasing the price of GA would be enough for a meaningful subsidy on the 200 sections. So then you have to either add more premium options like Ticketmaster dynamic pricing or fan club VIP packages like other bands do which wouldn’t do much to reduce the ‘band has sold out’ sentiments. 

This year will be an interesting test to see if they can still sell the less desirable seats for these prices outside of the bigger markets. If they can, then I can’t say I wouldn’t personally prefer the option to pay the current face value for a seat that could otherwise be double the price. And if those great seats or GA were $250-$300 face wouldn’t it kinda look like they were turning their backs on some of their most loyal or hardcore fans who have been in the fanclub forever or queue all day in a GA line? 

But tiered pricing is already the standard way of doing things, and they have already turned their backs on the fans really. I think the hardcore fans would totally hand over $300 for GA pit. Everyone is complaining already, so if they complained about paying an extra $100 for the pit why would anyone care or even notice? At least this way people who actually can't afford the prices can attend and those who just end up with bad tickets aren't overpaying.
    What I was getting at is you are enabling one group of people who want or need a lower price option at the expense of another group of people who would be very unhappy with that outcome. There would absolutely be a lot of people who would care and be unhappy if they implemented your suggestion. You’re right that tiered pricing is pretty common but not every band has to account for a fanclub where the expectation is that their seniority gives them the chance at really good seats (or GA). Again the point is that they would be making one subset of people (maybe) happier but pissing off new people or making them more upset. From the bands perspective it has to seem like there isn’t a correct option to make everyone happy. To individuals though based on our personal circumstances there probably does seem like an option that would be better. 

Anyone posting on this forum should know that with fan to fan you can get way better tickets than you might have gotten from the lottery or Ticketmaster presale (for the shows where it’s enabled). If you don’t have a really low number or care about GA my advice is to either opt out of p2 (pretty cool that this is an option) or don’t enter the fanclub lottery at all. Just wait until something that’s worth it to you comes up later. Because it will. 
    The people who would be upset with the change to a tiered system would be complaining that their prime seats or GAs are no longer being subsidized by the nosebleeds. Tough shit! No one can reasonably expect to be able to profit at the expense of other fans forever. And I've benefited from the system. Doesn't mean it's right. It makes no sense that GA and prime seats are basically the same price as the last row of the 300 level. 
    I have no skin in this game and I would personally pay more for GA because I think it’s worth it. It’s amusing to me though that we’ve gone from being outraged at the existence of premium tickets at all to wanting all of the best seats to have premium prices so the back of the 200s and 300s can have a lower entry point. A part of me wants the dog to catch the car on this one to watch the fallout. 
  • Options
    bicyclejoebicyclejoe USA Posts: 1,167
    edited March 10
    I don't think they think that.  think as a whole entity, they're definitely less popular than they were. But when it comes to their limited amount of live shows, clearly demand is there.

Hmmm. I’m not so sure a “demand is there” argument can be made in many parts of the US and most of the world, if the number of non-sold out shows on a limited tour is any indication — 16 of 35 shows still have plenty of tickets available.
    Post edited by bicyclejoe on
    My Pearl Jam Road: 10/22/90 Seattle | 12/22/90 Seattle, Moore Theater | 9/29/92 Seattle, Magnusson Park, Drop in the Park | 9/5/93 The Gorge, with Neil Young and Blind Melon | 7/20/06 Portland, Arlene Schnitzer Concert Hall with Sleater-Kinney | 7/22/06 The Gorge, 10/21/06 Mountain View, Shoreline Ampitheatre, Bridge School Benefit | 9/21/09 Seattle | 9/22/09 Seattle | 9/26/09 Portland, OR | 7/14/2011 Eddie Vedder, Portland, OR | 11/29/13 Portland, OR
  • Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,139
    If you can sell out 2 nights at MSG and 2 nights at Fenway Park you're very popular and anything beyond that is just splitting hairs
  • Options
    Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,990
    I don't think they think that.  think as a whole entity, they're definitely less popular than they were. But when it comes to their limited amount of live shows, clearly demand is there.

Hmmm. I’m not so sure a “demand is there” argument can be made in many parts of the US and most of the world, if the number of non-sold out shows on a limited tour is any indication — 16 of 35 shows still have plenty of tickets available.
    Still some time until the shows. We'll see.
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,559
    pjl44 said:
    If you can sell out 2 nights at MSG and 2 nights at Fenway Park you're very popular and anything beyond that is just splitting hairs
    I would say selling out MSG is the easiest place for bands to sell out.   
  • Options
    SHZASHZA St. Louis, MO USA Posts: 3,315
    Chrrie said:
    SHZA said:
    Chrrie said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Chrrie said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Chrrie said:

I think it would be a shitshow if people with 5 digit and low 6 digit numbers were asked to pay a premium for their seniority seats and I don’t think just increasing the price of GA would be enough for a meaningful subsidy on the 200 sections. So then you have to either add more premium options like Ticketmaster dynamic pricing or fan club VIP packages like other bands do which wouldn’t do much to reduce the ‘band has sold out’ sentiments. 

This year will be an interesting test to see if they can still sell the less desirable seats for these prices outside of the bigger markets. If they can, then I can’t say I wouldn’t personally prefer the option to pay the current face value for a seat that could otherwise be double the price. And if those great seats or GA were $250-$300 face wouldn’t it kinda look like they were turning their backs on some of their most loyal or hardcore fans who have been in the fanclub forever or queue all day in a GA line? 

But tiered pricing is already the standard way of doing things, and they have already turned their backs on the fans really. I think the hardcore fans would totally hand over $300 for GA pit. Everyone is complaining already, so if they complained about paying an extra $100 for the pit why would anyone care or even notice? At least this way people who actually can't afford the prices can attend and those who just end up with bad tickets aren't overpaying.
    What I was getting at is you are enabling one group of people who want or need a lower price option at the expense of another group of people who would be very unhappy with that outcome. There would absolutely be a lot of people who would care and be unhappy if they implemented your suggestion. You’re right that tiered pricing is pretty common but not every band has to account for a fanclub where the expectation is that their seniority gives them the chance at really good seats (or GA). Again the point is that they would be making one subset of people (maybe) happier but pissing off new people or making them more upset. From the bands perspective it has to seem like there isn’t a correct option to make everyone happy. To individuals though based on our personal circumstances there probably does seem like an option that would be better. 

Anyone posting on this forum should know that with fan to fan you can get way better tickets than you might have gotten from the lottery or Ticketmaster presale (for the shows where it’s enabled). If you don’t have a really low number or care about GA my advice is to either opt out of p2 (pretty cool that this is an option) or don’t enter the fanclub lottery at all. Just wait until something that’s worth it to you comes up later. Because it will. 
    The people who would be upset with the change to a tiered system would be complaining that their prime seats or GAs are no longer being subsidized by the nosebleeds. Tough shit! No one can reasonably expect to be able to profit at the expense of other fans forever. And I've benefited from the system. Doesn't mean it's right. It makes no sense that GA and prime seats are basically the same price as the last row of the 300 level. 
    I have no skin in this game and I would personally pay more for GA because I think it’s worth it. It’s amusing to me though that we’ve gone from being outraged at the existence of premium tickets at all to wanting all of the best seats to have premium prices so the back of the 200s and 300s can have a lower entry point. A part of me wants the dog to catch the car on this one to watch the fallout. 
    I think they're different issues. Premium is really it's own thing. I don't think many fan club members are buying premiums but there are apparently people out there who are willing to pay $1,000-$1,500 a seat. I wouldn't suggest that the GAs and best fan club seats should be anywhere close to what the premiums cost. But there should be some correlation between price and location. 
  • Options
    pjl44 said:
    We really are jaded round these parts
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,661
    Get_Right said:
    GlowGirl said:
    Get_Right said:
    I got two PJ tickets to MSG for $350. I will take that. My Paul McCartney MSG tix were $350 EACH. Worth every penny to take my son to see a Beatle. How much are Neil Young's tickets?
    We do not need tiered pricing. Pay your fee and go see the show. There is no discount. It does not matter, go or do not.
    I bought a pretty good Neil Young ticket to the Virginia show for $139.  Subsequently sold it at face as I can’t go any more. 
    That’s great. Here Neil Young is around $250 for decent side stage tickets. 
    Neil and Gilmour are the most I have ever paid. Aside from Paul.

Neil Young and Crazy Horse tickets are currently $134 CAD...
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    pjl44 said:
    pjl44 said:
    We really are jaded round these parts
    When you have 15M people to pull from to fill up like 18,000 seats..... That's all I'm saying.  Not saying they aren't popular.
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,029
    I had a much easier time getting tickets 18 years ago….
  • Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,731
    I've always hated the concept that the tickets closer to the stage should be more expensive. It always felt elitist and prices out so many fans who do not have the wealth of the lucky ones. 

I also know however there is no perfect system out there, and when they are all the same price resellers clean up. 

My worst experience of this ever was at a U2 show some years ago, I was pretty flabbergasted that a band who has preached equality for so many years and campaigned tirelessly for it would create a system of disparity of wealth at their shows. The front section was twice the price of the rear standing and for some reason that screamed rank hypocrisy at me.
  • Options
    pdalowsky said:
    I've always hated the concept that the tickets closer to the stage should be more expensive. It always felt elitist and prices out so many fans who do not have the wealth of the lucky ones. 

I also know however there is no perfect system out there, and when they are all the same price resellers clean up. 

My worst experience of this ever was at a U2 show some years ago, I was pretty flabbergasted that a band who has preached equality for so many years and campaigned tirelessly for it would create a system of disparity of wealth at their shows. The front section was twice the price of the rear standing and for some reason that screamed rank hypocrisy at me.
    That's one narrative. Here's another: When I was younger I was much more likely to buy lawn tickets, balcony seats, etc. What I found was that cheaper tickets attract more casual fans and I dealt with more loud talking, drunkenness, generally half paying attention save for when they played a hit.

Arena shows are a splurge and it's silly to make value judgements about whether someone is elite (whatever that means) because they have a good seat. A lot of those people ponied up for good tickets because it's a better experience.

There's a lot of talk about greed on here but there's also a ton of envy, especially when you're inventing a backstory for someone you know nothing about other than they're sitting in the third row of a concert.
  • Options
    There are few bands who have done as much as Pearl Jam to get incredible seats into the hands of their fans at a reasonable price. I'd be hard pressed to put anyone above them when you factor in how long it's been a priority for them. And you can see how it gets harder and harder as the years go by.
  • Options
    pjl44 said:
    There are few bands who have done as much as Pearl Jam to get incredible seats into the hands of their fans at a reasonable price. I'd be hard pressed to put anyone above them when you factor in how long it's been a priority for them. And you can see how it gets harder and harder as the years go by.
    Well said👏👏👏👏

Too bad it won’t be long until some wanker posts “$1250 for a ticket in Philly?? WTF, Pearl Jam??!!! 
    That’s it, i’m leaving the ten club forever, greedy, corporate, sellout band!!!!
  • Options
    JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,528
    Haijay said:
    pjl44 said:
    Well said👏👏👏👏

Too bad it won’t be long until some wanker posts “$1250 for a ticket in Philly?? WTF, Pearl Jam??!!! 
    That’s it, i’m leaving the ten club forever, greedy, corporate, sellout band!!!!
    The way I look at it, everyone of those moves us up one spot on the membership list. However my guess is that a high number of those people who publicly threaten to leave the club never actually do it. 
  • Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,731
    pjl44 said:
    100%
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    pdalowsky said:
    pjl44 said:
    100%

People do not get it
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,163
    Get_Right said:
    pdalowsky said:
    pjl44 said:
    100%

People do not get it

The reasonable prices are only for a subset of fans that win the lottery and also have seniority. Every one else is staring at the cheapest NY tickets at $1750 today or other lottery winners subsidizing the senior prices. These policies drive fans to try to win multiple shows which blocks out even more fans. The senior fans get it?
  • Options
    One of the big flaw’s of the lottery is that people put in multiple entries per household and can end up with extras they don’t need.