Options

Ticket prices. This is not for you (the fans).

Comments

• Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,323
    Chrrie said:
    PJ is a bigger brand than SP or =w=. 

That being said, Green Day and SP are playing Wrigley and their tickets were $20 more than PJ (after fees)
     I wouldn’t pay these prices for Green Day or SP, either. 
    U2 tickets at the Sphere cost me $140 each. They were excellent seats. And that concert experience is arguably the most extraordinary of any in history. It’s was amazing.  
    And U2 is a much bigger band than PJ.

And U2 GA was $250, red zone was $600, P1 was $500, and $$$$ VIP packages etc. They subsidized the $140 400 section with the better seats whereas PJ just made everything essentially the same price. Not saying either way is better than the other but you can’t just compare a band’s nosebleed section with PJ’s because they’re entirely different pricing strategies. 
    The thing is the Sphere is by far the best venue for a concert period! There’s not one arena that can come close to duplicating the experience of seeing a show in the Sphere it makes the high prices worth it!
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    mpedonempedone 540xxx - Manchester, NH Posts: 1,890
    SHZA said:
    mace1229 said:
    ComeToTX said:
    Weezer and Smashing Pumpkins at the O2 in June is £75 a ticket. £75. Nearly £100 less for a double headline gig.

Why are people still defending these insane prices? 
    Do they play the same songs every night? That makes a huge difference in people willing to go to multiple shows, which makes the experience more valuable. 
    It doesn’t cost the band anything to change up the setlist. So why would it affect the ticket price?
    Because you're going to have more demand from repeat attendees when it's not the same show every night. 

Exactly. I loved seeing the Foo Fighters in 2018, but looking at the setlists, I had no burning desire to see them multiple times on the same tour. Pearl Jam tours, and it's "How many shows can I get to?"
    "I'm a lucky man, to count on both hands the [shows I've done]. Some folks just have one, others they got none..."

Hartford 10.02.96 | Mansfield 2 09.16.98 | Mansfield 1 08.29.00 | Mansfield 1 07.02.03 | Mansfield 3 07.11.03 | Boston 2 05.25.06 | Tampa 04.11.16 | Fenway 1 08.05.16 | Fenway 2 08.07.16 | Fenway 1 09.02.18 | Fenway 2 09.04.18 | Baltimore 03.28.20 | Hamilton 09.06.22 | Toronto 09.08.22 | Nashville 09.16.22 | St Louis 09.18.22

"He made the deal with the devil, we get to play with him.
    He goes to hell, of course. We're going to heaven."
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,029
    kmcmanus said:
    mace1229 said:
    My guess is SP, Weezer and PJ all have about the same number of casual fans, which is the vast majority. But PJ has a lot more die hards. Ones that are willing to travel, ones that feel the need to see at least 1 show every tour, multiple if possible. Buy every album, multiples of every album actually. 
    I hear more negative things about PJ than I do Weezer or SP. Maybe that's because I pay more attention to it or because I am part of that die hard crowd I draw that conversation more. But there is a lot of negativity associated with PJ that I don't necessarily hear about other similar bands. 
    I dunno man, Billy is pretty toxic and it’s been pretty well documented. I think his public persona is seen as much worse than PJ’s. Rivers has less off-stage baggage but only 2 albums that are really beloved, the more recent of which was the same month as No Code. I see people dunking on both those bands pretty frequently. 
    The fact that they need to tour together while PJ can solo is telling too.
    I hear frequently from non die hard fans that PJ is a 1 or 2 album band. I think many outside their die hard fanbase was surprised they got in the HoF on the first try.
    PJ is my favorite band and I think all albums in the 90s are among th best for the decade. But to a casual fan, I think many equate PJ to Weezer, SP, among others like STP on the same playing field.

PJ has a much larger die hard fan base that are willing to travel and feel the need to see them every tour. I've seen Weezer 4 or 5 times, and if they play near me when I have an open weekend I'd see them again. But I'm not going to travel to see them or make summer plans their show like I have for PJ.

My guess if you ask the majority of "fans" you have close to the same number willing to pay the same price for most of those 90s bands. But with PJ you have this die hard following for a band that tours less, that's what brings up the prices. It's been 10 years since PJ has played a show that didn't require me to travel. That is the case for a lot of people. So when there's a chance to see them the demand is high. 

Basically, if a radio station was giving away free tickets and you got to chose between PJ, Weezer, SP, STP (pretending Scott was still around), I bet they would be in equal demand.
    But because PJ tours less, plays fewer shows, and the fans are willing to travel and see multiple shows, they sell tickets faster and charge more.
  • Options
    SHZASHZA St. Louis, MO USA Posts: 3,315
    edited March 7
    mpedone said:
    SHZA said:
    mace1229 said:
    ComeToTX said:
    Weezer and Smashing Pumpkins at the O2 in June is £75 a ticket. £75. Nearly £100 less for a double headline gig.

Do they play the same songs every night? That makes a huge difference in people willing to go to multiple shows, which makes the experience more valuable. 
    It doesn’t cost the band anything to change up the setlist. So why would it affect the ticket price?
    Because you're going to have more demand from repeat attendees when it's not the same show every night. 

Exactly. I loved seeing the Foo Fighters in 2018, but looking at the setlists, I had no burning desire to see them multiple times on the same tour. Pearl Jam tours, and it's "How many shows can I get to?"
    Also, while degree of difficulty can be high with a limited playlist, in general having the versatility to play any of 100 songs on a given night arguably warrants higher pay than just playing the same 15-20 songs night after night. 
    Post edited by SHZA on
  • Options
    Jim TresselJim Tressel Posts: 131
    I wonder if one member (Jeff?) has a higher price than the rest to go on tour, The rest of the band have to agree or there won't be a tour at all. Then they still have to split the money equally, so the ticket prices go up exponentially. 
  • Options
    kaw753kaw753 Posts: 766
    I wonder if one member (Jeff?) has a higher price than the rest to go on tour, The rest of the band have to agree or there won't be a tour at all. Then they still have to split the money equally, so the ticket prices go up exponentially. 
    Time to "Richie Sambora" him from the band?

(This was a joke)
  • Options
    SHZA said:
    mpedone said:
    SHZA said:
    mace1229 said:
    ComeToTX said:

Also, while degree of difficulty can be high with a limited playlist, in general having the versatility to play any of 100 songs on a given night arguably warrants higher pay than just playing the same 15-20 songs night after night. 
    For someone whose job is a musician, I don't think it would be that hard. They've played many of them 100s of times in concert, probably played through them thousands of times over the years.
    And many bands do it. I used to love seeing Better Than Ezra when they toured because it was a new setlist every night. Many local bands I've never heard of before do it, or take requests and play them spot on.
    So for professional musicians who've been doing it for 40 years, I don't think it would be that big of a deal. I'm sure there's a handful of songs they've got to brush up on, but nothing that warrants a $50 upcharge per ticket, for hundreds of thousands of tickets.
    I know many bands do play the same setlist. I always assumed it was either out of laziness, or mostly for production of the show. Getting the lights, pyros, etc all timed. PJ doesn't do any of that, so not much to worry about.
  • Options
    smile6680smile6680 Posts: 351
    mace1229 said:
    kmcmanus said:
    mace1229 said:
    My guess is SP, Weezer and PJ all have about the same number of casual fans, which is the vast majority. But PJ has a lot more die hards. Ones that are willing to travel, ones that feel the need to see at least 1 show every tour, multiple if possible. Buy every album, multiples of every album actually. 
    I hear more negative things about PJ than I do Weezer or SP. Maybe that's because I pay more attention to it or because I am part of that die hard crowd I draw that conversation more. But there is a lot of negativity associated with PJ that I don't necessarily hear about other similar bands. 
    I dunno man, Billy is pretty toxic and it’s been pretty well documented. I think his public persona is seen as much worse than PJ’s. Rivers has less off-stage baggage but only 2 albums that are really beloved, the more recent of which was the same month as No Code. I see people dunking on both those bands pretty frequently. 
    The fact that they need to tour together while PJ can solo is telling too.
    I hear frequently from non die hard fans that PJ is a 1 or 2 album band. I think many outside their die hard fanbase was surprised they got in the HoF on the first try.
    PJ is my favorite band and I think all albums in the 90s are among th best for the decade. But to a casual fan, I think many equate PJ to Weezer, SP, among others like STP on the same playing field.

PJ has a much larger die hard fan base that are willing to travel and feel the need to see them every tour. I've seen Weezer 4 or 5 times, and if they play near me when I have an open weekend I'd see them again. But I'm not going to travel to see them or make summer plans their show like I have for PJ.

My guess if you ask the majority of "fans" you have close to the same number willing to pay the same price for most of those 90s bands. But with PJ you have this die hard following for a band that tours less, that's what brings up the prices. It's been 10 years since PJ has played a show that didn't require me to travel. That is the case for a lot of people. So when there's a chance to see them the demand is high. 

Basically, if a radio station was giving away free tickets and you got to chose between PJ, Weezer, SP, STP (pretending Scott was still around), I bet they would be in equal demand.
    But because PJ tours less, plays fewer shows, and the fans are willing to travel and see multiple shows, they sell tickets faster and charge more.
    I think this is accurate. I like PJ way more than the other three bands. Non die hard pj fans will often argue that they don't see a big difference between the four.
  • Options
    jpgoegeljpgoegel Posts: 410

That being said, Green Day and SP are playing Wrigley and their tickets were $20 more than PJ (after fees)
    Rancid is as well on that ticket i believe
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    Chrrie said:

U2 tickets at the Sphere cost me $140 each. They were excellent seats. And that concert experience is arguably the most extraordinary of any in history. It’s was amazing.  

And U2 GA was $250, red zone was $600, P1 was $500, and $$$$ VIP packages etc. They subsidized the $140 400 section with the better seats whereas PJ just made everything essentially the same price. Not saying either way is better than the other but you can’t just compare a band’s nosebleed section with PJ’s because they’re entirely different pricing strategies. 
    The thing is the Sphere is by far the best venue for a concert period! There’s not one arena that can come close to duplicating the experience of seeing a show in the Sphere it makes the high prices worth it!

The problem is that it is in Vegas. Armpit of America.

• Options
    HaijayHaijay Posts: 331
    Get_Right said:
    Chrrie said:

I thought that was Cleveland? 
  • Options
    MG14345MG14345 Posts: 86
    Haijay said:
    Get_Right said:
    Chrrie said:

Incorrect about Cleveland. 

https://www.tmz.com/watch/060320-cleveland-butthole-4795335-0-28zqavk2/
  • Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,731
    jpgoegel said:

I was so pissed that they are only on the USA leg. Rancid are absolute legends in my book
  • Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,139
    Rancid > Pumpkins > Beat the traffic 
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    Haijay said:
    Get_Right said:
    Chrrie said:

Columbus.
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,153
    pdalowsky said:
    jpgoegel said:

I was so pissed that they are only on the USA leg. Rancid are absolute legends in my book
    Truth 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    pdalowsky said:
    jpgoegel said:

I saw Rancid about 15 years ago at KROQ weeniefest. Weezer was headlining, that's why I went. Rancid was pretty bad. At least the vocals, they were almost unbearable. I hope it was just an off night because it was pretty bad. 
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,261
    mace1229 said:
    pdalowsky said:
    jpgoegel said:

I saw Rancid about 15 years ago at KROQ weeniefest. Weezer was headlining, that's why I went. Rancid was pretty bad. At least the vocals, they were almost unbearable. I hope it was just an off night because it was pretty bad. 
    Would you say they were...rancid?
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,323
    Get_Right said:
    Chrrie said:

I’m giving the title to either Florida or Texas! It really doesn’t matter to me it was worth it 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,731
    mace1229 said:
    pdalowsky said:
    jpgoegel said:

I expect it was an off night, Ive seen them many times and they are incredible usually. Tim's voice is so unique. The recent album is an absolute stunner imo

• Options
    a5pja5pj Hershey PA Posts: 3,865
    kaw753 said:
    Time to "Richie Sambora" him from the band?

(This was a joke)
    Doubt it's Jeff - He basically financed the 2 RNDM tours out of his pocket because he likes touring. 
    Wouldn't it be funny if the world ended in 2010, with lots of fire?

• Options
    lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 12,090
    edited March 8
    I don't think Jeff likes touring Ive seen it in an interview but doubt he is a reason 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    I don't think Jeff likes touring Ive seen it in an interview but doubt he is a reason 
    He said in an interview he gets physically sick the several days before a tour, just knowing he's going to be gone several weeks. 
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,163
    All right fans great job! All of the $1012 MSG2 platinum tickets have been sold! Great job band getting 10% of your customers to pay for 50% of your revenue! 
  • Options
    HaijayHaijay Posts: 331
    All right fans great job! All of the $1012 MSG2 platinum tickets have been sold! Great job band getting 10% of your customers to pay for 50% of your revenue! 
    😴😴😴
  • Options
    mpedonempedone 540xxx - Manchester, NH Posts: 1,890

What are they listed for on StubHub now?
    "I'm a lucky man, to count on both hands the [shows I've done]. Some folks just have one, others they got none..."

Hartford 10.02.96 | Mansfield 2 09.16.98 | Mansfield 1 08.29.00 | Mansfield 1 07.02.03 | Mansfield 3 07.11.03 | Boston 2 05.25.06 | Tampa 04.11.16 | Fenway 1 08.05.16 | Fenway 2 08.07.16 | Fenway 1 09.02.18 | Fenway 2 09.04.18 | Baltimore 03.28.20 | Hamilton 09.06.22 | Toronto 09.08.22 | Nashville 09.16.22 | St Louis 09.18.22

"He made the deal with the devil, we get to play with him.
    He goes to hell, of course. We're going to heaven."
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,559
    Some monopolies are okay apparently.  
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,559
    mace1229 said:
    He said in an interview he gets physically sick the several days before a tour, just knowing he's going to be gone several weeks. 
    That's too bad.  Wonder if it is anxiety or just really enjoying your life at home.   
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,936
    pdalowsky said:
    mace1229 said:
    pdalowsky said:
    jpgoegel said:

I expect it was an off night, Ive seen them many times and they are incredible usually. Tim's voice is so unique. The recent album is an absolute stunner imo

First saw rancid back in early 96 at the stone pony in asbury park.  They were phenomenal live.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    danofundanofun Posts: 772
    "sold"