Options

Ticket prices. This is not for you (the fans).

Comments

• Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,138
    All right fans great job! All of the $1012 MSG2 platinum tickets have been sold! Great job band getting 10% of your customers to pay for 50% of your revenue! 
    Some monopolies are okay apparently.  
    At this point I don't know how this would go any differently with an AXS or whomever. Technology has made it a complex game of whack-a-mole to get tickets in your fans' hands at a price that feels generous. If lots of people are willing to shell out big bucks for a ticket it's gonna get in their hand. At least this way it's going to people actually involved in putting on the show.
  • Options
    GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 10,000
    danofun said:
    All right fans great job! All of the $1012 MSG2 platinum tickets have been sold! Great job band getting 10% of your customers to pay for 50% of your revenue! 
    "sold"
    Right. They could have pulled them to create more demand for later.

• Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    Get_Right said:
    Chrrie said:
    PJ is a bigger brand than SP or =w=. 

That being said, Green Day and SP are playing Wrigley and their tickets were $20 more than PJ (after fees)
     I wouldn’t pay these prices for Green Day or SP, either. 
    U2 tickets at the Sphere cost me $140 each. They were excellent seats. And that concert experience is arguably the most extraordinary of any in history. It’s was amazing.  
    And U2 is a much bigger band than PJ.

And U2 GA was $250, red zone was $600, P1 was $500, and $$$$ VIP packages etc. They subsidized the $140 400 section with the better seats whereas PJ just made everything essentially the same price. Not saying either way is better than the other but you can’t just compare a band’s nosebleed section with PJ’s because they’re entirely different pricing strategies. 
    The thing is the Sphere is by far the best venue for a concert period! There’s not one arena that can come close to duplicating the experience of seeing a show in the Sphere it makes the high prices worth it!

The problem is that it is in Vegas. Armpit of America.

I’m giving the title to either Florida or Texas! It really doesn’t matter to me it was worth it 
    Florida yes, but not Texas!!!
  • Options
    vedpunkvedpunk Posts: 829
    Get_Right said:
    Get_Right said:
    Chrrie said:

That being said, Green Day and SP are playing Wrigley and their tickets were $20 more than PJ (after fees)
    U2 tickets at the Sphere cost me $140 each. They were excellent seats. And that concert experience is arguably the most extraordinary of any in history. It’s was amazing.  

And U2 GA was $250, red zone was $600, P1 was $500, and $$$$ VIP packages etc. They subsidized the $140 400 section with the better seats whereas PJ just made everything essentially the same price. Not saying either way is better than the other but you can’t just compare a band’s nosebleed section with PJ’s because they’re entirely different pricing strategies. 
    The thing is the Sphere is by far the best venue for a concert period! There’s not one arena that can come close to duplicating the experience of seeing a show in the Sphere it makes the high prices worth it!

The problem is that it is in Vegas. Armpit of America.

I’m giving the title to either Florida or Texas! It really doesn’t matter to me it was worth it 
    Florida yes, but not Texas!!!
    At least the band knows they can sell out arenas in Texas and Florida!  Can’t say the same for Europe or other locations.  
  • Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,138
    GlowGirl said:
    danofun said:
    "sold"

Not sure if it still does but this used to happen for Red Sox games all the time a while ago. As it got closer to some games you would see big swings in inventory go from StubHub to the official Sox site or vice versa. I imagine it's more sophisticated now but it was crazy to watch.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,660
    edited March 8
    Chrrie said:

I'll happily say which way is better. Tiered pricing is better. E.g. I think PJ GA could fairly be priced at $300/ticket and have the upper level priced under $100. That would be SO much better than the worst seat being the same price as the best seat. I can't see how anyone could argue against the theory of getting what you pay for.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,029
    edited March 8
    PJ_Soul said:
    Chrrie said:

I'll happily say which way is better. Tiered pricing is better. E.g. I think PJ GA could fairly be priced at $300/ticket and have the upper level priced under $100. That would be SO much better than the worst seat being the same price as the best seat. I can't see how anyone could argue against the theory of getting what you pay for.
    The only argument is would they lower the price of the bad seats, or just raise the prices of the good seats?
    That would be my argument. If nothing is going to be any cheaper, then there is no benefit to the fans other than people just being bitter they didn't get good seats. And anywhere that sells out, I doubt they'd be lowering any prices, only raising them.
    So for that reason, I'm happy with the one price system. 
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,163
    pjl44 said:
    GlowGirl said:
    danofun said:
    "sold"

Not sure if it still does but this used to happen for Red Sox games all the time a while ago. As it got closer to some games you would see big swings in inventory go from StubHub to the official Sox site or vice versa. I imagine it's more sophisticated now but it was crazy to watch.
    But the fine folks of Philly are not doing this nor holding up their end to have 10% of the buyers fund half the gross revenue (well less in Phillys case, maybe platinum will only fund a third of the gate), because there’s been a single $459 sitting there almost two weeks. Cmon brotherly love, that’s a steal!
  • Options
    mpedonempedone 540xxx - Manchester, NH Posts: 1,890
    mace1229 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Chrrie said:

The only argument is would they lower the price of the bad seats, or just raise the prices of the good seats?
    That would be my argument. If nothing is going to be any cheaper, then there is no benefit to the fans other than people just being bitter they didn't get good seats. And anywhere that sells out, I doubt they'd be lowering any prices, only raising them.
    And this also can make it even more difficult to get tickets in the lottery. If GA/P1 is $300-400 a ticket, I'm probably putting in for the lower tiers. Essentially, the only people who are going to be able to pick any section are those able (or willing) to pay for the most expensive ticket.

So, yeah, it sucks that back row is the same cost as front row, but it's a way to allow people to select any available section and maximize their chances
    "I'm a lucky man, to count on both hands the [shows I've done]. Some folks just have one, others they got none..."

Hartford 10.02.96 | Mansfield 2 09.16.98 | Mansfield 1 08.29.00 | Mansfield 1 07.02.03 | Mansfield 3 07.11.03 | Boston 2 05.25.06 | Tampa 04.11.16 | Fenway 1 08.05.16 | Fenway 2 08.07.16 | Fenway 1 09.02.18 | Fenway 2 09.04.18 | Baltimore 03.28.20 | Hamilton 09.06.22 | Toronto 09.08.22 | Nashville 09.16.22 | St Louis 09.18.22

"He made the deal with the devil, we get to play with him.
    He goes to hell, of course. We're going to heaven."
  • Options
    RatherStarvedRatherStarved Posts: 4,316
    Vancouver 2 Premiums just had a price reduction.  Still too much in my opinion.  
    PJ: 2013: London (ON); Buffalo; 2014: Cincinnati; 2016: Sunrise, Miami, Toronto 1-2, Wrigley 2; 2018: London (UK) 1, Milan, Padova, Sea 2, Wrigley 1-2, Fenway 1-2; 2021: SHN, Ohana, Ohana Encore 1-2; 2022: LA 1-2, Phx, Oak 1-2, Fresno, Copenhagen, Hyde Park 1-2; Quebec, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto; MSG, Camden, Nashville, Louisville, St. Louis, OKC; 2023: St. Paul 1-2, Chicago 1-2; Fort Worth 2; Austin 1-2

EV Solo: 2017 Louisville and Franklin, 2018 Ohana, 2019 Innings Fest, Berlin, Düsseldorf, Dublin and Ohana; 2021 Ohana Friday (from beach) and Saturday; 2022 Earthlings Newark; 2023 Innings Fest and Benoraya 1-2.

Gutted:  London 2 2018, Sacramento 2022, Noblesville 2023
  • Options
    EddieredderEddieredder Posts: 715
    edited March 9
    mace1229 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Chrrie said:

And scalpers just make more margin off cheaper tix. They could also charge more for the better tix.

PJ premium tix would still be going for the same price (or more). If a 20k seat venue is sold out and 1k people are still looking for tix......that doesn't change with tiered pricing. Its still sold out and there are still 1k people looking for tix. I would think it raises the floor on the premium pricing if the seat is truly "premium". 

I don't think anyone is arguing against tiered pricing. Its a normal suggestion that totally makes sense. But it doesn't change the demand, and to your point it might actually make things worse. 
    Post edited by Eddieredder on
  • Options
    Just keep face value F2F with no transfers and you don't really have to worry about scalpers very much.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    ChrrieChrrie Posts: 96
    PJ_Soul said:
    Chrrie said:

I think it would be a shitshow if people with 5 digit and low 6 digit numbers were asked to pay a premium for their seniority seats and I don’t think just increasing the price of GA would be enough for a meaningful subsidy on the 200 sections. So then you have to either add more premium options like Ticketmaster dynamic pricing or fan club VIP packages like other bands do which wouldn’t do much to reduce the ‘band has sold out’ sentiments. 

This year will be an interesting test to see if they can still sell the less desirable seats for these prices outside of the bigger markets. If they can, then I can’t say I wouldn’t personally prefer the option to pay the current face value for a seat that could otherwise be double the price. And if those great seats or GA were $250-$300 face wouldn’t it kinda look like they were turning their backs on some of their most loyal or hardcore fans who have been in the fanclub forever or queue all day in a GA line? 
  • Options
    dreamweaverdreamweaver New York Posts: 714
    edited March 9
    Ticket prices were not that expensive unless you are looking at a secondary market. The band has no control over the secondary market. So, end this chat, and let's get back to talking about new music. For the love of god. 
    Post edited by dreamweaver on
    Meadowlands, MSG 1, MSG 2 - '98
    Jones Beach NY 1 + 3 - '00
    MSG 1 + 2 - '03
    Boston Garden - '04
    Montreal - '05
    Boston Garden 1, Meadowlands 1 + 2 - '06
    Mansfield 1 - '08
    (EV solo) Boston 1 - '08
    Chicago 1 - '09
    MSG -'10
    Brooklyn 1+2 - '13
    Central Park - '15
    MSG - '16
    Fenway - '16
    Wrigley - '16
    (RRHOF) Brooklyn - '17
    Fenway - '18
    MSG - '22
  • Options
    SHZASHZA St. Louis, MO USA Posts: 3,315
    PJ_Soul said:
    Just keep face value F2F with no transfers and you don't really have to worry about scalpers very much.
    False 

• Options
    Chrrie said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Chrrie said:

I think it would be a shitshow if people with 5 digit and low 6 digit numbers were asked to pay a premium for their seniority seats and I don’t think just increasing the price of GA would be enough for a meaningful subsidy on the 200 sections. So then you have to either add more premium options like Ticketmaster dynamic pricing or fan club VIP packages like other bands do which wouldn’t do much to reduce the ‘band has sold out’ sentiments. 

This year will be an interesting test to see if they can still sell the less desirable seats for these prices outside of the bigger markets. If they can, then I can’t say I wouldn’t personally prefer the option to pay the current face value for a seat that could otherwise be double the price. And if those great seats or GA were $250-$300 face wouldn’t it kinda look like they were turning their backs on some of their most loyal or hardcore fans who have been in the fanclub forever or queue all day in a GA line? 

But tiered pricing is already the standard way of doing things, and they have already turned their backs on the fans really. I think the hardcore fans would totally hand over $300 for GA pit. Everyone is complaining already, so if they complained about paying an extra $100 for the pit why would anyone care or even notice? At least this way people who actually can't afford the prices can attend and those who just end up with bad tickets aren't overpaying.
  • Options
    ChrrieChrrie Posts: 96
    PJ_Soul said:
    Chrrie said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Chrrie said:

But tiered pricing is already the standard way of doing things, and they have already turned their backs on the fans really. I think the hardcore fans would totally hand over $300 for GA pit. Everyone is complaining already, so if they complained about paying an extra $100 for the pit why would anyone care or even notice? At least this way people who actually can't afford the prices can attend and those who just end up with bad tickets aren't overpaying.
    What I was getting at is you are enabling one group of people who want or need a lower price option at the expense of another group of people who would be very unhappy with that outcome. There would absolutely be a lot of people who would care and be unhappy if they implemented your suggestion. You’re right that tiered pricing is pretty common but not every band has to account for a fanclub where the expectation is that their seniority gives them the chance at really good seats (or GA). Again the point is that they would be making one subset of people (maybe) happier but pissing off new people or making them more upset. From the bands perspective it has to seem like there isn’t a correct option to make everyone happy. To individuals though based on our personal circumstances there probably does seem like an option that would be better. 

Anyone posting on this forum should know that with fan to fan you can get way better tickets than you might have gotten from the lottery or Ticketmaster presale (for the shows where it’s enabled). If you don’t have a really low number or care about GA my advice is to either opt out of p2 (pretty cool that this is an option) or don’t enter the fanclub lottery at all. Just wait until something that’s worth it to you comes up later. Because it will. 
  • Options
    Chrrie said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Chrrie said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Chrrie said:

What I was getting at is you are enabling one group of people who want or need a lower price option at the expense of another group of people who would be very unhappy with that outcome. There would absolutely be a lot of people who would care and be unhappy if they implemented your suggestion. You’re right that tiered pricing is pretty common but not every band has to account for a fanclub where the expectation is that their seniority gives them the chance at really good seats (or GA). Again the point is that they would be making one subset of people (maybe) happier but pissing off new people or making them more upset. From the bands perspective it has to seem like there isn’t a correct option to make everyone happy. To individuals though based on our personal circumstances there probably does seem like an option that would be better. 

Anyone posting on this forum should know that with fan to fan you can get way better tickets than you might have gotten from the lottery or Ticketmaster presale (for the shows where it’s enabled). If you don’t have a really low number or care about GA my advice is to either opt out of p2 (pretty cool that this is an option) or don’t enter the fanclub lottery at all. Just wait until something that’s worth it to you comes up later. Because it will. 
    The people who would be upset with the change to a tiered system would be complaining that their prime seats or GAs are no longer being subsidized by the nosebleeds. Tough shit! No one can reasonably expect to be able to profit at the expense of other fans forever. And I've benefited from the system. Doesn't mean it's right. It makes no sense that GA and prime seats are basically the same price as the last row of the 300 level. 
  • Options
    mpedone said:
    mace1229 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Chrrie said:

And this also can make it even more difficult to get tickets in the lottery. If GA/P1 is $300-400 a ticket, I'm probably putting in for the lower tiers. Essentially, the only people who are going to be able to pick any section are those able (or willing) to pay for the most expensive ticket.

So, yeah, it sucks that back row is the same cost as front row, but it's a way to allow people to select any available section and maximize their chance

But it drives up demand/reduces supply, and it is one of many PJ ticket policies driving up market prices and  why they are the only artist with the highest prices  not named swift. And is why the east coast shows now have “market rates” between $500 and $2000. Drive up demand, diminish supply. Basic economics. 

Imagine a supermarket has ten loaves of bread for everyone and that’s it, and nine  are priced at a dollar. What would the tenth loaf sell at? That’s why every other artist tries to match cost with value.
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Chrrie said:

And scalpers just make more margin off cheaper tix. They could also charge more for the better tix.

PJ premium tix would still be going for the same price (or more). If a 20k seat venue is sold out and 1k people are still looking for tix......that doesn't change with tiered pricing. Its still sold out and there are still 1k people looking for tix. I would think it raises the floor on the premium pricing if the seat is truly "premium". 

I don't think anyone is arguing against tiered pricing. It’s a normal suggestion that totally makes sense. But it doesn't change the demand, and to your point it might actually make things worse. 

Sorry I should have multi quoted this with my above point, but this is not correct. PJ market prices are greater than almost every other act. Go talk to anyone outside the fan community and explain the PJ prices at MSG are higher than what the market is charging for the Stones (and almost every other artist on broker sites) and look at the facial reaction you get. This exists solely for the unique PJ ticket policies. As much as I love them, the Stones are more popular than PJ.

It absolutely changes with tiered pricing, because when you sell something at an @ $800 discount *per ticket* you bring more demand to that product. Based on every established rock act and market rates, the well deserved legacy tickets selling for $180 are easily worth $500 to $1000 based on what most every other established artist charges. This bring enormous demand to a specific ticket range that normally does not exist. This explodes market pricing on every ticket sold that is not under this price control.
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,322
    Vancouver 2 Premiums just had a price reduction.  Still too much in my opinion.  
    There's so many of them on sale at the same time.  They're barely moving.   I think they'll keep going down.
  • Options
    bicyclejoebicyclejoe USA Posts: 1,167
    I love Pearl Jam. But it’s also cute how the band seems to think they’re as popular as they were 18 years ago. 
    My Pearl Jam Road: 10/22/90 Seattle | 12/22/90 Seattle, Moore Theater | 9/29/92 Seattle, Magnusson Park, Drop in the Park | 9/5/93 The Gorge, with Neil Young and Blind Melon | 7/20/06 Portland, Arlene Schnitzer Concert Hall with Sleater-Kinney | 7/22/06 The Gorge, 10/21/06 Mountain View, Shoreline Ampitheatre, Bridge School Benefit | 9/21/09 Seattle | 9/22/09 Seattle | 9/26/09 Portland, OR | 7/14/2011 Eddie Vedder, Portland, OR | 11/29/13 Portland, OR
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    I got two PJ tickets to MSG for $350. I will take that. My Paul McCartney MSG tix were $350 EACH. Worth every penny to take my son to see a Beatle. How much are Neil Young's tickets?
    We do not need tiered pricing. Pay your fee and go see the show. There is no discount. It does not matter, go or do not.
  • Options
    Get_Right said:
    I got two PJ tickets to MSG for $350. I will take that. My Paul McCartney MSG tix were $350 EACH. Worth every penny to take my son to see a Beatle. How much are Neil Young's tickets?
    We do not need tiered pricing. Pay your fee and go see the show. There is no discount. It does not matter, go or do not.
    I get what you are saying. I have paid way more than this to see certain bands. Looking at the tickets I have now - my pit ticket for Foo Fighters is $217, and my lower level Green Day ticket is $288. These are standard face - not any type of platinum. Even Liam Gallagher at a theater is Brooklyn is $108. So compared to that, people who got the pit or decent lowers for PJ paid great prices. But the difference is that the people in the upper levels for Foo Fighters and Green Day are paying much less than I did. So that may be part of the issue here as ticket prices go up. 

• Options
    RatherStarvedRatherStarved Posts: 4,316
    Get_Right said:
    I bought a pretty good Neil Young ticket to the Virginia show for $139.  Subsequently sold it at face as I can’t go any more. 
    PJ: 2013: London (ON); Buffalo; 2014: Cincinnati; 2016: Sunrise, Miami, Toronto 1-2, Wrigley 2; 2018: London (UK) 1, Milan, Padova, Sea 2, Wrigley 1-2, Fenway 1-2; 2021: SHN, Ohana, Ohana Encore 1-2; 2022: LA 1-2, Phx, Oak 1-2, Fresno, Copenhagen, Hyde Park 1-2; Quebec, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto; MSG, Camden, Nashville, Louisville, St. Louis, OKC; 2023: St. Paul 1-2, Chicago 1-2; Fort Worth 2; Austin 1-2

EV Solo: 2017 Louisville and Franklin, 2018 Ohana, 2019 Innings Fest, Berlin, Düsseldorf, Dublin and Ohana; 2021 Ohana Friday (from beach) and Saturday; 2022 Earthlings Newark; 2023 Innings Fest and Benoraya 1-2.

Gutted:  London 2 2018, Sacramento 2022, Noblesville 2023
  • Options
    Get_Right said:
    I bought a pretty good Neil Young ticket to the Virginia show for $139.  Subsequently sold it at face as I can’t go any more. 
    That’s great. Here Neil Young is around $250 for decent side stage tickets. 
  • Options
    YourDirtisMyfoodYourDirtisMyfood Boston Posts: 4,518
    In the past 5 years, I’ve seen Elton John for $55 before fees at TD Garden on my birthday thanks to a precode in 2019, saw Jimmy Buffet in Mansfield in 2022 for $35 before fees 2nd row dead center of lawn seats as there was a ticket drop before show time, $49 for Taylor before fees at Gillette during original ticket drop, $55 for Bruce last August in the 300s before fees and $40 for the 1975 before fees, so it can be done
  • Options
    Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,990
    Aren't PJ playing less shows than most comparable legacy acts?  
  • Options
    Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,990
    edited March 9
    I love Pearl Jam. But it’s also cute how the band seems to think they’re as popular as they were 18 years ago. 
    I don't think they think that.  think as a whole entity, they're definitely less popular than they were. But when it comes to their limited amount of live shows, clearly demand is there.

Post edited by Tim Simmons on
  • Options
    In the past 5 years, I’ve seen Elton John for $55 before fees at TD Garden on my birthday thanks to a precode in 2019, saw Jimmy Buffet in Mansfield in 2022 for $35 before fees 2nd row dead center of lawn seats as there was a ticket drop before show time, $49 for Taylor before fees at Gillette during original ticket drop, $55 for Bruce last August in the 300s before fees and $40 for the 1975 before fees, so it can be done
    Only possible due to tiered pricing. You're not getting the top tickets to those shows for those prices.