Options

Ticket prices. This is not for you (the fans).

Comments

• Options
    EddieredderEddieredder Posts: 739
    edited February 27
    Yeah, I just got a National/War On Drugs ticket for $150, so we can relax about where PJ priced them (non dynamic of course)

That's where things are. We paid $200 for a pair of tickets to see Band Of Horses a few weekends back. 
    Sum 41 Pit tix in Boston are $158
    Ok bud, I get it. Not trying to argue. Everything is expensive. Entertainment is no exception. 
    I'm not arguing. If anything I'm backing up your point
  • Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 13,026
    Get_Right said:
    PJNB said:
    Get_Right said:
    Do not hate the players, hate the game. It is Ticketmaster's monopoly that is ultimately hurting consumers. You cannot blame the band for accepting more money when others are making money off their gigs.  And do not mention the Cure as they are an outlier.
    I think a lot of people expect Pearl Jam to be an outlier as well with their past history. 
    30 years ago! That is mistake. They have been doing business with TM since 1998. They are buying into a myth that has not existed for a long time.
    I am not talking about 30 years ago. I am talking about ticket practices from 2018 and before. 
  • Options
    efroten2efroten2 Chicago Posts: 73
    Yeah, I just got a National/War On Drugs ticket for $150, so we can relax about where PJ priced them (non dynamic of course)

Just looked... (forgot about the presale) and they have platinum tickets for $390 all over the lower levels in Chicago. They also have $400-$500 "soundcheck" and early access packages near the front. Their GA area is set at just under $300.

1994: Bridge School Night 2
    1995: Sacramento, San Jose
    1998: Sacramento
    2001: Bridge School Night 2
    2003: St. Louis, Champaign, Irvine 1, Irvine 2, Chicago, East Troy, Noblesville
    2004: Grand Rapids
    2006: Chicago 1, Chicago 2, Cleveland, Milwaukee 2
    2007: Chicago (The Vic), Chicago (Lolla)
    2009: Chicago 1, Chicago 2
    2010: Noblesville
    2013: Chicago, San Diego
    2014: St. Louis, Milwaukee
    2016: Chicago 1 & 2
    2018: Chicago 1 & 2
    2011: PJ20 1 & 2
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,203

That's where things are. We paid $200 for a pair of tickets to see Band Of Horses a few weekends back. 
    Sum 41 Pit tix in Boston are $158
    Ok bud, I get it. Not trying to argue. Everything is expensive. Entertainment is no exception. 
    I'm not arguing. If anything I'm backing up your point
    You are indeed! I need to read more carefully. I am so sorry about my chippy reply! Boy, what does that say about me today! LOL! 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    MD190661MD190661 Posts: 394
    I actually think it's insane that people will pay $200 or more for crap seats for these bands listed in this thread. I can understand paying a premium for very good seats. Otherwise I'd rather go see a jazz show for $30.
    10/1/94, 6/22/95, 6/24/95, 9/16/96, 7/22/98, 10/21/01, 6/1/03, 10/25/03, 10/26/03, 9/1/05, 7/15/06, 7/18/06, 8/28/09, 10/07/09, 10/3/12, 11/26/13, 6/18/18, 8/10/18, 5/12/22, 5/13/22, 5/13/24, 5/25/24

• Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,493
    PJNB said:
    Get_Right said:
    PJNB said:
    Get_Right said:
    Do not hate the players, hate the game. It is Ticketmaster's monopoly that is ultimately hurting consumers. You cannot blame the band for accepting more money when others are making money off their gigs.  And do not mention the Cure as they are an outlier.
    I think a lot of people expect Pearl Jam to be an outlier as well with their past history. 
    30 years ago! That is mistake. They have been doing business with TM since 1998. They are buying into a myth that has not existed for a long time.
    I am not talking about 30 years ago. I am talking about ticket practices from 2018 and before. 
    Which practices? Priority?

• Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,203
    MD190661 said:
    I actually think it's insane that people will pay $200 or more for crap seats for these bands listed in this thread. I can understand paying a premium for very good seats. Otherwise I'd rather go see a jazz show for $30.
    Paging @The Juggler
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    kmcmanuskmcmanus Posts: 675
    PJNB said:
    Get_Right said:
    PJNB said:
    Get_Right said:
    If only there were some major global event since 2018 that dramatically changed all kinds of things that could begin to explain that.

• Options
    cbeitingcbeiting Posts: 78
    I know this isn't an airport, but I am announcing my departure from the 10C. They can pound sand with this entire tour experience. 
    Member since 1996...
  • Options
    Niko80Niko80 Posts: 1,571
    Paid 650 euros for two seats in Berlin. Probably the priciest concert ticket I ever bought. 

D1 section, row 7. I think the tickets are too expensive, but the money has to be spent somewhere. Looking forward to it! 
    I will swallow poison
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,220
    JD87070 said:
    "Pearl Jam has ticket policies that limit supply and increase demand. It is obvious their ticket policies drive up prices on the broker sites, which drove up PJPrem."

Thats totally fair. But what would you propose as a solution? Its clearly pretty complicated.

I guarantee having tix be $250 each (or more) with no premium wouldn't be welcomed with open arms. Nor would $500 pit tix. Tiered pricing = more profit on cheaper seats. Its complicated. 

I think you quoted me there lol. I put out a list earlier of all top acts per seat geek, and the PJ prices exceeded everyone else. The only artist I could find recently with higher broker prices is Taylor. She’s a little bit more popular , no?

All the following impacts broker prices which then is justification for increases to PJ premium. This is market manipulation, not market value

When PJ decides that half the venue (floor and lower levels) will sell for face, but way below fair value, that drives up prices by reducing supply and increases the need for PJ PREM.

When PJ decides that seniors are guaranteed (as a block unit, members will vary) 80% discount off fair value on prime seat locations for an unlimited number of shows, that drives up demand, since the band (and buyers of upper level seats) are subsidizing the purchase. Seniors will put in for many more shows with these “significantly discounted tickets” which then drives down supply, which drives up prices 

PJ decided for NY and Philly to not offer rear stage seating (Seattle did have tickets available) at the verified  onsale time, significantly hurting fans with verified codes.

for some reason, many fans apparently scored tickets for three or four NE indoor shows. Based on PJ Premium prices, the odds per show seems to be about ten percent, so hitting all four is about one in ten thousand. Some have offered that there was a single draw based in the new rules, so a good lottery number gets fans an unlimited deluge of tickets, taking supply away from everyone else.

there’s more problems with their unique system, I’ll stop there…

ok, to your question, what to do…

the closest seats are the ones that should have premium prices. Face value of many more tickets should be somewhat commensurate with actual value. There’s a reason every other band does it differently 

so how so we take care of seniors? Perhaps limit the “80% off” premium tickets to one set per tour. 

Have the lottery results limited to winning one show until all entries have at least one winning show if possible. Once that happens, then allow for multiple winners. Some in high demand markets will not win but their chances will be greatly increased 

have tier pricing, sell tickets like all the other acts do 300…250…200…150…100; each category is a bucket in the lottery. This forces fans to place a dollar value on the experience, which is a million times fairer than the current disaste

Try to match where you want to play and figure out who wants to see you more than anyone else. That’s where the majority of shows should be.stop expecting fans to fly to places you like, and in some cases taunt them with hundreds of unsold tickets.

release all the premium tickets at once. What they do now by releasing a few at a time is creating desperation and manipulation in the market place. They told us ten percent will be PJPrem, so be fair and release them all at once. Let a true market decide the price. If they sit unsold for days,DROP THE PRICES.  They Told us these would be sold at market prices so if they don’t sell for a few days, drop the prices, 

Perhaps have a second chance silent auction for those who completely lost the lottery. Put out a list of the same locations that are PJ Premium, and instead of manipulating fans, let them  bid on specific ticket locations 
    Some good points here, but one thing you’re overlooking is, the only shows where resale is allowed is MSG and Wrigley, everywhere else on this tour is F2F only. So since the resellers are limited on their options for this tour, the tickets they can get their hands on are priced as such. That has nothing to do with the band.
    And as far as where they play, as much as i would love for them to vary their touring more, they’ve earned the right over the decades to play where they want. As much as it sucks for those of us in markets they don’t visit, that’s the reality.

. Check out Vivid seats, there are plenty of broker tickets out there . The band maximizes a guaranteed 80% discount for a certain segment of its fan base for the best seats. This drives up prices for those of us who are never entitled to this huge discount.

There is a reason their tickets on the secondary Market are so expensive, more expensive than any artist other than Taylor swift. Yes in past years they didn't tour as much and we  attributed the high resale prices to that, but this year they're playing plenty of dates and the broker prices are worse than ever. And there are plenty tickets for Philadelphia Baltimore and Fenway on the broker sites.

These prices have everything to do with decisions the band makes about its tickets.

also not matching Supply with demand when choosing a tour itinerary, that also drives up prices. They must make seven or eight decisions about their tour and their ticket policies, all of which drive up prices for the Unfortunate Souls that don't win a 10% chance lottery

I am not saying whether or not it's their right, I'm just commenting on the policies and decisions and the impact those have on prices
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,220
    Get_Right said:

But this is not the Pearl Jam ticket game. It is the Pearl Jam ticket monopoly. They're selling about 5,000 tickets per show for significant discounts. These premium locations are guaranteed for a certain segment of the fan base, which limits the supply for all of the other fans. That's what drives up prices for the unfortunate people who are not lucky enough to win the various lotteries.

And this policy also limits Supply because lottery winners can now maximize the number of shows they are winning which also pushes up prices up on broker sites which in turn pushes up PJ premium prices
  • Options
    CantKeepmedownCantKeepmedown Portland, Maine Posts: 2,941

I do like that they are selling lawn seats for $55 though!  Close to the Fenway shows but I may have to pull the trigger on that one. 
  • Options
    High Fidelity 2000High Fidelity 2000 New Mexico USA Posts: 4,435
    edited February 27
    I really wish people would stop blaming the band for the cost of goods and services in 2024. I’d be willing to bet that they are not making much more profit per show than what they were 10 or more years ago. It takes significant infrastructure to put on a tour that travels the world, and these prices actually compares favorably to many other concert experiences. 

No way. Stop making excuses for incredibly wealthy people.

Name me one other good or service that went from the equivalent of $20 in 1993 (or even $40 in 2003) to $185 today. I'll wait.
    $185 is like the BARGAIN price IF you're lucky. The Premium Scam nonsense that their management signs off for (does the band even know what these tickets cost?) is insulting to be honest. 10% of the seats held to "offset the increasing cost of touring." RIght. The $185 price doesn't offset it enough? 

What makes it even worse, if that is possible, is the section I sat in 4 rows behind the pit at Wrigley in 2016 for $94 is now being sold for $1700. I have a screenshot but don't know how to post it. Nothing went up 17 times in cost since 2016, it's just a disease and they're all GREEN. And that was when I checked Wrigley tickets on Sunday. I wasn't allowed in on Friday at the onsale, I bet they were even more, since we've seen the dynamic prices drop $100 or so since the Friday onslaught. Add to this that I put in for ONE concert whole tour and only got "unfulfilled," Vegas 1... I was able to get tickets barely on Friday that don't suck all the way in the 200s/back of the arena (could have saved ten bucks at a bargain of $175 lol)... they're limited view side stage but down low so hoping for the best. Seriously, who of you out there just has $3400 to take your honey to a show for a couple hours (not even 3 hours anymore, yeah I went there)? That's over a month's pay for me & I've been in the same career for over 20 years now. Is every Pearl Jam fan in the top 1% income bracket, along with the band? Or ya'll just maxing out credit cards and gonna declare bankruptcy before the next tour? 

You guys have to fix this. This isn't the Pearl Jam I grew up with. We truly are in Rolling Stones territory now. Robert Smith is the new concert hero for the 21st Century. Talk to him and see how he did it, because he sure tours a lot less than Pearl Jam but HE told ticketmaster what to do if they wanted a Cure tour. STOP BLAMING TICKETMASTER, you apologists. Ticketmaster sucks, but you're signing off on it and saying you are ok ripping off the fans like a scalper while also charging insane prices for the "bargain" seats AND Ten Club (if we should be so lucky to actually get them after paying dues for 30 years). 

Not saying this will be my last show this year, but I can't imagine going to too many more when the next tour is an additonal 50% and the tour after that is 50% more than that, etc etc. FIX IT PLEASE.
    Post edited by High Fidelity 2000 on
    ABQ 93, Las Cruces 95, ABQ 98, Bridge School 10/30/99, Lubbock 00, ABQ 00, Denver 03, State College 03, San Diego 03, Vegas 03, PHX 03, D.C. 03, Camden 7/5/03, NYC 7/8/03 + 7/9/03, Vegas 06, San Francisco 7/15/06 + 7/16/06 + 7/18/06, Kansas City 10, EV:ABQ 11/6/12, Chicago 13, PHX 13, Denver 14--PJ24!, Telluride 16, Chicago 8/20/16, Chicago 8/18/18, Denver 20, Phoenix 20

New Mexico Pearl Jam Fans (New Mexico, USA) on Facebook!
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,741
    edited February 27

There were also $62 tickets available, and up from that. I scored row 13 in the lower level for $87.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    EddieredderEddieredder Posts: 739
    edited February 27
    JD87070 said:
    "Pearl Jam has ticket policies that limit supply and increase demand. It is obvious their ticket policies drive up prices on the broker sites, which drove up PJPrem."

Thats totally fair. But what would you propose as a solution? Its clearly pretty complicated.

I guarantee having tix be $250 each (or more) with no premium wouldn't be welcomed with open arms. Nor would $500 pit tix. Tiered pricing = more profit on cheaper seats. Its complicated. 

I think you quoted me there lol. I put out a list earlier of all top acts per seat geek, and the PJ prices exceeded everyone else. The only artist I could find recently with higher broker prices is Taylor. She’s a little bit more popular , no?

All the following impacts broker prices which then is justification for increases to PJ premium. This is market manipulation, not market value

When PJ decides that half the venue (floor and lower levels) will sell for face, but way below fair value, that drives up prices by reducing supply and increases the need for PJ PREM.

When PJ decides that seniors are guaranteed (as a block unit, members will vary) 80% discount off fair value on prime seat locations for an unlimited number of shows, that drives up demand, since the band (and buyers of upper level seats) are subsidizing the purchase. Seniors will put in for many more shows with these “significantly discounted tickets” which then drives down supply, which drives up prices 

PJ decided for NY and Philly to not offer rear stage seating (Seattle did have tickets available) at the verified  onsale time, significantly hurting fans with verified codes.

for some reason, many fans apparently scored tickets for three or four NE indoor shows. Based on PJ Premium prices, the odds per show seems to be about ten percent, so hitting all four is about one in ten thousand. Some have offered that there was a single draw based in the new rules, so a good lottery number gets fans an unlimited deluge of tickets, taking supply away from everyone else.

the closest seats are the ones that should have premium prices. Face value of many more tickets should be somewhat commensurate with actual value. There’s a reason every other band does it differently 

so how so we take care of seniors? Perhaps limit the “80% off” premium tickets to one set per tour. 

Have the lottery results limited to winning one show until all entries have at least one winning show if possible. Once that happens, then allow for multiple winners. Some in high demand markets will not win but their chances will be greatly increased 

have tier pricing, sell tickets like all the other acts do 300…250…200…150…100; each category is a bucket in the lottery. This forces fans to place a dollar value on the experience, which is a million times fairer than the current disaste

Try to match where you want to play and figure out who wants to see you more than anyone else. That’s where the majority of shows should be.stop expecting fans to fly to places you like, and in some cases taunt them with hundreds of unsold tickets.

release all the premium tickets at once. What they do now by releasing a few at a time is creating desperation and manipulation in the market place. They told us ten percent will be PJPrem, so be fair and release them all at once. Let a true market decide the price. If they sit unsold for days,DROP THE PRICES.  They Told us these would be sold at market prices so if they don’t sell for a few days, drop the prices, 

Perhaps have a second chance silent auction for those who completely lost the lottery. Put out a list of the same locations that are PJ Premium, and instead of manipulating fans, let them  bid on specific ticket locations 
    Some good points here, but one thing you’re overlooking is, the only shows where resale is allowed is MSG and Wrigley, everywhere else on this tour is F2F only. So since the resellers are limited on their options for this tour, the tickets they can get their hands on are priced as such. That has nothing to do with the band.
    And as far as where they play, as much as i would love for them to vary their touring more, they’ve earned the right over the decades to play where they want. As much as it sucks for those of us in markets they don’t visit, that’s the reality.

. Check out Vivid seats, there are plenty of broker tickets out there . The band maximizes a guaranteed 80% discount for a certain segment of its fan base for the best seats. This drives up prices for those of us who are never entitled to this huge discount.

There is a reason their tickets on the secondary Market are so expensive, more expensive than any artist other than Taylor swift. Yes in past years they didn't tour as much and we  attributed the high resale prices to that, but this year they're playing plenty of dates and the broker prices are worse than ever. And there are plenty tickets for Philadelphia Baltimore and Fenway on the broker sites.

These prices have everything to do with decisions the band makes about its tickets.

also not matching Supply with demand when choosing a tour itinerary, that also drives up prices. They must make seven or eight decisions about their tour and their ticket policies, all of which drive up prices for the Unfortunate Souls that don't win a 10% chance lottery

I am not saying whether or not it's their right, I'm just commenting on the policies and decisions and the impact those have on prices
    Sure. But having tiered pricing doesn't change the demand. It might just change the profit from the reseller. If they can resell a $175 ticket for $1000 at MSG, they can certainly sell a $50-100 ticket for the same. If a pit ticket retails for $500-600 and they sell out.....why wouldn't you be able to resell for $1000+? 

Having higher prices could easily equal higher premium and resale. See Taylor Swift. 

Are you saying you want higher prices for fan club/base retail tix?

I also don't have the answers for any of this. But I can see it both ways. 
    Post edited by Eddieredder on
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,493
    Get_Right said:

But this is not the Pearl Jam ticket game. It is the Pearl Jam ticket monopoly. They're selling about 5,000 tickets per show for significant discounts. These premium locations are guaranteed for a certain segment of the fan base, which limits the supply for all of the other fans. That's what drives up prices for the unfortunate people who are not lucky enough to win the various lotteries.

And this policy also limits Supply because lottery winners can now maximize the number of shows they are winning which also pushes up prices up on broker sites which in turn pushes up PJ premium prices

I don't buy it. They have always sold 10C tix at face value and resale tickets have always been obnoxiously priced (at least in the last 10 years or so). There is no difference now. Half the tickets on broker sites are speculation and for the actual tickets you can often see the same seats on multiple broker sites for the same price. Tickets are not outrageously priced because of the 10C tickets or because fans won multiple shows. There is no connection.  Prices would be just as high even if there was no 10c sale and the lack of priority 10C based selections is not driving ticket prices up, the 10c tickets would have just been awarded to a more diverse group of fans under a priority system. That would only have a minimal, if any, effect on demand for Pearl Jam. These high prices are simply the result of TM owning the bulk of the tickets for each show and deploying a marketing scheme that capitalizes on the FOMO mentality, the wealthy, and getting the highest possible price for each ticket.  
  • Options
    YourDirtisMyfoodYourDirtisMyfood Boston Posts: 4,532
    What was the name of the ticketing agency that PJ used in the mid-90s during their battle with TM?  It was those big bumper sticker sized tickets and I feel it was an agency through Pennsylvania.
  • Options
    vedpunkvedpunk Posts: 857
    Get_Right said:
    Get_Right said:

I don't buy it. They have always sold 10C tix at face value and resale tickets have always been obnoxiously priced (at least in the last 10 years or so). There is no difference now. Half the tickets on broker sites are speculation and for the actual tickets you can often see the same seats on multiple broker sites for the same price. Tickets are not outrageously priced because of the 10C tickets or because fans won multiple shows. There is no connection.  Prices would be just as high even if there was no 10c sale and the lack of priority 10C based selections is not driving ticket prices up, the 10c tickets would have just been awarded to a more diverse group of fans under a priority system. That would only have a minimal, if any, effect on demand for Pearl Jam. These high prices are simply the result of TM owning the bulk of the tickets for each show and deploying a marketing scheme that capitalizes on the FOMO mentality, the wealthy, and getting the highest possible price for each ticket.  
    Smartest comment in the thread. 
  • Options
    tylerjtylerj Indiana Posts: 290
    edited February 27
    JD87070 said:

They may be playing more dates this year than last, but a lot of it is 2 shows in one large city. The Midwest gets 2 shows, both in Chicago. Then look at 2014. There's St. Louis, Cincy, Lincoln, Nebraska, Detroit, Milwaukee, Moline, Woodlawn, Minnesota. And that's mild compared to early 2000 tours. 

The writing on the wall has been clear the last decade or more — the band tours very little and so if you want to see them and see them a lot, you have to travel and so it's a mad scramble to get tickets. We're now also dealing with more casual fans. Was stuck in the 300 sec last year for United Center, and the ppl around me maybe knew 4 songs and they were all the hits. 
    Post edited by tylerj on
    Chicago, Aug 24, 2009 
    Noblesville, May 7, 2010
    PJ20 Night 1, 2011
    Cincinnati, Oct. 1, 2014
    Milwaukee, Oct. 20, 2014
    Wrigley Field, Aug 20, 2016
    Wrigley Field, Aug 22, 2016
    Wrigley Field, Aug 18, 2018
    Wrigley Field, Aug 20, 2018
    St. Louis, Sept. 18, 2022
    Chicago, Sept. 5, 2023
    Chicago, Sept. 7, 2023

• Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,782
    What was the name of the ticketing agency that PJ used in the mid-90s during their battle with TM?  It was those big bumper sticker sized tickets and I feel it was an agency through Pennsylvania.
    I think it was called ETM...or something like that. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    rw160510rw160510 Posts: 919
    PJ_Soul said:

There were also $62 tickets available, and up from that. 

GA tickets to see The National at a larger outdoor event at Crystal Palace in London the week after Pearl Jam are £70 including fees. It’s £65 including fees to see them at Castlefield bowl in Manchester. 
  • Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,382
    MD190661 said:
    Arenas on up are the domain of more casual concert goers. If you only go to a couple shows a year you're not scrutinizing whether that ticket should be $80 or $180. A band catches your eye and you make plans.

Quite a few people in my life where I see this play out. Most recent example being Incubus. I was like man I'm not paying $160 to see Incubus and my cousin and sister were both like I don't know I want to see Incubus.
  • Options
    JK109224JK109224 Posts: 584
    They will have good seats and GA tickets for sale at "standard" prices by show time. This is obvious.
    Come to send, not condescend...
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,994
    The prices do sting. Many prices sting these days, and maybe this is isn't for you anymore. But...none of this is forever, not for them and not for us. This year is likely the largest tour they are capable/willing to play. Look for Canada and a few South American festivals in 2025, and an off year in 2026. By the time they come back to the northeast, tickets may be $500 a pair.

How much are you willing to spend? How much more than that are these tickets? Is that difference worth missing out on a finite number of chances left to see them? Maybe it is. Everyone's situation is different. Just don't have regrets down the road.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,741
    edited February 27
    rw160510 said:
    PJ_Soul said:

There were also $62 tickets available, and up from that. 

GA tickets to see The National at a larger outdoor event at Crystal Palace in London the week after Pearl Jam are £70 including fees. It’s £65 including fees to see them at Castlefield bowl in Manchester. 
    Yeah, I just got a lower level row 13 seat, directly facing the stage, for $87 CAD. Now that is reasonable. Thanks The National and The War on Drugs, for allowing me to afford your show, lol.

With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    KidAOKKidAOK Posts: 92
    Kings of Leon in the same Dublin venue a few weeks after PJ - €89.75
  • Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,382
    edited February 27
    The prices max me out at 2 or 3 shows. The still looming threat of cancellations max me out at driving distance for said shows. It ain't 2006 anymore. I stand in awe of people traversing the country or multiple continents at this point.
  • Options
    pjl44 said:
    The prices max me out at 2 or 3 shows. The still looming threat of cancellations max me out at driving distance for said shows. It ain't 2006 anymore. I stand in awe of people traversing the country or multiple continents at this point.
    Definitely feel lucky to be able to see multiple shows (this tour and lifetime). Always gotta remember some people only get to see a handful of shows in their lifetime. Then think about the folks who have never seen PJ at all. 
  • Options
    MD190661MD190661 Posts: 394
    pjl44 said:
    MD190661 said:
    Arenas on up are the domain of more casual concert goers. If you only go to a couple shows a year you're not scrutinizing whether that ticket should be $80 or $180. A band catches your eye and you make plans.

Quite a few people in my life where I see this play out. Most recent example being Incubus. I was like man I'm not paying $160 to see Incubus and my cousin and sister were both like I don't know I want to see Incubus.
    That's a good point. I think most or a lot of people just buy whatever ticket they can at the price available or can afford. Lots of the cheapest seats at arena and stadium shows sell out first. So $125 to be the last few of a stadium to see a band like the Rolling Stones sound like a good deal to the casual concert goer. I think it's a rip off and an insult. But I've seen a thousand concerts over the past 40+ years and little FOMO for any act, including PJ. I'd never pay $175 to sit in the upper deck of any arena to see any band. Maybe $75, but that's about it. But I am fine paying close to $200 to be in the pit for PJ in a few months. These days that's a concert bargain, even though I rare shell out that much to see concerts. $100 is pretty much my limit before thinking really hard about how much I want to go.
    10/1/94, 6/22/95, 6/24/95, 9/16/96, 7/22/98, 10/21/01, 6/1/03, 10/25/03, 10/26/03, 9/1/05, 7/15/06, 7/18/06, 8/28/09, 10/07/09, 10/3/12, 11/26/13, 6/18/18, 8/10/18, 5/12/22, 5/13/22, 5/13/24, 5/25/24