Options

Exclusive PJ listening party West Hollywood 1.31.24 - Confirmed DARK MATTER and wish I was there

Comments

• Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,583
    dwjmu84 said:
    on2legs said:
    dwjmu84 said:
    spankyMP said:
    dwjmu84 said:
    on2legs said:
    dwjmu84 said:
    on2legs said:
    dwjmu84 said:
    Relax everyone. I think what he's trying to say is that he's simply dying to hear the new stuff, as we all are.  Obviously we all respect the right of PJ to do as they see fit, but that doesn't mean we can't wonder, question, think critically, etc about the way they operate (as long as in a respectful manner).  After all, the guys would be the first people championing such a concept, and if you do not believe that to be true, you haven't been listening for 30 yrs.

Do I wish they would do something new, bold, and out of character? yes. Will my life go on just fine if not? certainly so.

Our frustration is almost always the product of our love for the music. Keep that in mind and we can all get along :)

He's taking it too personally.  The general public wasn't even supposed to know about this party.  This was an industry event.  It's not a bunch of "entitled elitists" publicly rubbing everyone's nose in the fact that they weren't able to attend.
    Yes and no. Not meant for the public sure, but a tad naive to think stuff would not leak out. They def know, and that’s ok. I bet something will happen soon, but you can’t admonish people for being eager. 

No one admonished him.
    I feel like collectively that's what happened.  This board has a huge problem with allowing people to express different opinions without the collective "wisdom" checking them.  Def don't see that over at RM, thankfully.

Anyway, we will see what next week brings.  

At least I can go back to my Van Halen binge now without the distraction of new PJ.
    After re-reading every response to him, he clearly was not admonished and there is no need to revisit the not allowing differing opinions or collective wisdom gripe today.
    I think there was an implicit "check yourself buddy" there. You can certainly not agree and that's ok.  That said, people really seem to have a "fall in line" attitude around here. Honestly, even if he said the new album should be delivered today to his doorstep and he's OWED it, there's a tactful way to respond/disagree rather than "he's taking it too personally" which is really just a throw-away statement.

In any event, I hope well all get what we want very soon. Cheers.
    There's something ironic about you posting about allowing people to express their opinion while simultaneously slamming everyone else's opinion. 
    I’ve always said, feel free to think how you do but the vitriol on this board is disgusting. It’s a way more respectful environment over at RM. maybe you should peruse it as an example of how to comport one’s self. 
    Too much drama here.  You’re arguing with people on multiple threads and all the while telling people how to “comport” themselves.  
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    dwjmu84dwjmu84 Posts: 365
    on2legs said:
    dwjmu84 said:
    on2legs said:
    dwjmu84 said:
    spankyMP said:
    dwjmu84 said:
    on2legs said:
    dwjmu84 said:
    on2legs said:
    dwjmu84 said:
    Relax everyone. I think what he's trying to say is that he's simply dying to hear the new stuff, as we all are.  Obviously we all respect the right of PJ to do as they see fit, but that doesn't mean we can't wonder, question, think critically, etc about the way they operate (as long as in a respectful manner).  After all, the guys would be the first people championing such a concept, and if you do not believe that to be true, you haven't been listening for 30 yrs.

Do I wish they would do something new, bold, and out of character? yes. Will my life go on just fine if not? certainly so.

Our frustration is almost always the product of our love for the music. Keep that in mind and we can all get along :)

He's taking it too personally.  The general public wasn't even supposed to know about this party.  This was an industry event.  It's not a bunch of "entitled elitists" publicly rubbing everyone's nose in the fact that they weren't able to attend.
    Yes and no. Not meant for the public sure, but a tad naive to think stuff would not leak out. They def know, and that’s ok. I bet something will happen soon, but you can’t admonish people for being eager. 

No one admonished him.
    I feel like collectively that's what happened.  This board has a huge problem with allowing people to express different opinions without the collective "wisdom" checking them.  Def don't see that over at RM, thankfully.

Anyway, we will see what next week brings.  

At least I can go back to my Van Halen binge now without the distraction of new PJ.
    After re-reading every response to him, he clearly was not admonished and there is no need to revisit the not allowing differing opinions or collective wisdom gripe today.
    I think there was an implicit "check yourself buddy" there. You can certainly not agree and that's ok.  That said, people really seem to have a "fall in line" attitude around here. Honestly, even if he said the new album should be delivered today to his doorstep and he's OWED it, there's a tactful way to respond/disagree rather than "he's taking it too personally" which is really just a throw-away statement.

In any event, I hope well all get what we want very soon. Cheers.
    There's something ironic about you posting about allowing people to express their opinion while simultaneously slamming everyone else's opinion. 
    I’ve always said, feel free to think how you do but the vitriol on this board is disgusting. It’s a way more respectful environment over at RM. maybe you should peruse it as an example of how to comport one’s self. 
    Too much drama here.  You’re arguing with people on multiple threads and all the while telling people how to “comport” themselves.
    Yeah Ok GIFs  Tenor
  • Options
    tylermooretylermoore St. Joseph, MI Posts: 903
    edited February 3
    Seriously if someone were to print most of these threads out lately, pass em around to friends and family lmao We would all look so pathetic about what we are all bickering about. It’s so silly 
    Post edited by tylermoore on
  • Options
    ontheroadontheroad Posts: 251
    Nobody who was in the room (other than two journalists) has described what they heard. What gives? 
    "I remember when you sang that song about today, now it's tomorrow and everything has changed." - Bu$hleaguer
  • Options
    ontheroad said:
    Nobody who was in the room (other than two journalists) has described what they heard. What gives? 
    Plus the YouTube fella and one NASA astronomer who was in attendance and tweeted a photo outside the venue. But yeah, it’s eerily silent. That said, I don’t remember a ton being written after the Gig listening party. Of course, we were on the precipice of a major global event in Feb/Mar 2020. 

Still, it seems a little too quiet. Makes me wonder if we are looking at a much later release (summer/fall - ouch). If not, maybe a surprise release here soon. 

I will say, there’s a cadence to building anticipation. They seemed to time things really well for the last record in terms of build up, and were really unfortunate to compete with what was going on in the world by March. But, the mid Jan announcement, DoTC tease and release, late Jan listening event, SBWM, and then the daily snippets of all songs in the week or so leading up was well planned. A real nice rhythm to it all.

Could  we be on the eve of a similar build up? 
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,501
    dwjmu84 said:
    ontheroad said:
    Plus the YouTube fella and one NASA astronomer who was in attendance and tweeted a photo outside the venue. But yeah, it’s eerily silent. That said, I don’t remember a ton being written after the Gig listening party. Of course, we were on the precipice of a major global event in Feb/Mar 2020. 

What happened then?
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    D-RodD-Rod Hamilton, Ontario Posts: 1,819
    ontheroad said:
    Gag order.  They will release their articles when the band gives them permission.   

Same thing happened after the Gigaton listening party.   Write ups were released around late February. 
    1996.....Toronto
    2005.....Hamilton
    2011.....Toronto N1, Toronto N2, Hamilton
    2013.....London, Buffalo
    2014.....Detroit
    2016.....Toronto N1 Toronto N2, Boston  N1, Boston N2, Chicago N1
    2018.....Seattle N1, Seattle N2
    2022.....San Diego, Los Angeles N1, Los Angeles N2, Phoenix, Oakland N1, Oakland N2, Quebec City, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto  
    2023.....Fort Worth N1, Fort Worth N2, Austin N1, Austin N2
    2024.....???? 
  • Options
    beano.79beano.79 Posts: 713
    This place is full of absolute nutters 😂
  • Options
    My feelings aren’t hurt, don’t get me wrong. I don’t feel that the band owes me much of anything or that it needed to be heard by “fans first.” Does anyone else think it’s strange that…
    this wasn’t announced
    Didn’t have all band members in attendance 
    didn’t include at least an announcement and track list the next day
    didn’t include maybe five lucky “golden ticket” fans with access from a lottery
    In LA (yes I know they recorded it in a Malibu studio) 
    They’ve been around for twenty three years and this will be their twelfth studio album. Do they really need to appeal to elite Hollywood people? 
    End rant   
    April 29, 2003 Pepsi Arena, Albany                            September 15, 2005 Bell Center, Montreal       May 16, 2006 Meadows, Hartford

June 28, 2008  Comcast Center, Mansfield               October 25, 2013 XL Center, Hartford               August 5, 2006 Fenway Park, Boston

August 7, 2006 Fenway Park, Boston                         September 2, 2008 Fenway Park, Boston        September 4, 2008 Fenway Park, Boston

June 22, 2024 Marlay Park, Dublin, Ireland.              “If I had known then, what I know now."           "There's an upside of down." 
  • Options
    BloodMeridian80BloodMeridian80 Seattle Posts: 630
    My feelings aren’t hurt, don’t get me wrong. I don’t feel that the band owes me much of anything or that it needed to be heard by “fans first.” Does anyone else think it’s strange that…
    this wasn’t announced
    They’ve been around for twenty three years and this will be their twelfth studio album. Do they really need to appeal to elite Hollywood people? 
    End rant   
    My thoughts, since you asked:
    1. No
    2. No
    3. Kind of, I thought they would revel some album news or single, but guess that will happen 2/13
    4. No, some lucky ten clubbers did get in.
    5. No, LA has a lot of headquarters of music industry. 
    6. No, it was a mix of workers in the music industry, celebrity friends, non-celebrity friends, and some fans.
  • Options
    this wasn’t announced
    End rant   
    I don’t find anything about the listening party itself strange, aside from a few 10c members/fans being there. Don’t believe that happened for gig. 

What I do find odd about the aftermath is two things:

1. 90% of what we know (and there are some pretty nuanced details) comes from a YouTube live video mere minutes after. Does the band not want to communicate tracklist, album cover, other minutiae on their own terms? We’ve all found out from some random fan. Seems unlike them. I literally know 9/11 track titles and a whole host of other info from this fella. This is a group that likes to control the narrative, yet this guy is out blabbering all the details right in front it Tim Bierman outside the Troubador. I’m pretty shocked they didn’t shut that down. 

2. Nobody keeping watch at the back door? That guy who recorded the clips was there probably the whole time. That just seems very strange to me. Now, the band and mgmt know there are over 3 mins of pretty decent quality clips floating around. Does this not come off as a bit of a “rug pull”?

yeah….it doesn’t seem ideal for them. Maybe the silence since is bc they’re making moves to adjust?

• Options
    Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,569
    I feel like this topic is being micromanaged. 

The band did a listening party.  Those who were invited knew about, no need to tell everyone else about it. 
    Someone got some clips, either the band knew and was fine with that, or didnt know and was fine with that.   

Info coming soon.  

This isnt rocket science.   I know that everyone is excited for the new album, new tour, etc so we are all wanting the details asap, but this is all pretty standard stuff and PJ usually tweaks the way the let info leak each time.  I wont tell people how to consume the info they are being given, enjoy it, hate it, whatever.  But overall, this is all pretty standard stuff that probably doesnt have too many other layers to it.  

PJ had a listening party to hype the album.  We heard some snippets.  More info coming very soon. 
    Turn this anger into
    Nuclear fission
  • Options
    Vedd Hedd said:

The band did a listening party.  Those who were invited knew about, no need to tell everyone else about it. 
    Someone got some clips, either the band knew and was fine with that, or didnt know and was fine with that.   

Info coming soon.  

This isnt rocket science.   I know that everyone is excited for the new album, new tour, etc so we are all wanting the details asap, but this is all pretty standard stuff and PJ usually tweaks the way the let info leak each time.  I wont tell people how to consume the info they are being given, enjoy it, hate it, whatever.  But overall, this is all pretty standard stuff that probably doesnt have too many other layers to it.  

PJ had a listening party to hype the album.  We heard some snippets.  More info coming very soon. 
    Generally agree with much of this. Again I do think the band prob missed a shot to communicate some fun details on their own. Hey, maybe they don’t give a shit and realize their official “word” is imminent. 

I don’t really care either way. That said, the way info has come out is a little out of character but I have zero “problem” with that. Just making observations. At the end of the day, the only thing we care about is the end product right?
  • Options
    BrainofBGABrainofBGA Australia Posts: 4,037
    matt84 said:
    Kwieneke said:
    Kwieneke said:
    kmcmanus said:

looks almost identical to Earthling, at least according to my memory
    Earthling Eddie Vedder album - Wikipedia
    The vibe I’ve always got with this cover - “The name’s Vedder… Eddie Vedder”.
    Considering he was on the on the record I always thought there was a little nod to Mr Wonder too

Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
  • Options
    Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,569
    dwjmu84 said:
    Vedd Hedd said:

Info coming soon.  

Generally agree with much of this. Again I do think the band prob missed a shot to communicate some fun details on their own. Hey, maybe they don’t give a shit and realize their official “word” is imminent. 

I don’t really care either way. That said, the way info has come out is a little out of character but I have zero “problem” with that. Just making observations. At the end of the day, the only thing we care about is the end product right?
    Perhaps, but I think they probably realized (or were gauging) the attention level of the die-hards.  Once those things hit social media, it spread pretty well.  I mean, I sent that youtube clip to family and friends, so me being a die-hard was able to get the word to the more casual fans (for free).  And it was a fairly simple plan, just have the internet/message board grab it and run with it. 

I think their last few albums sort of had a similar level of leakage, though.  Maybe order of operations was a bit different, but they know how the die hards will react by now.   I think they like the way they build it up....they just make one snowball and get it rolling down hill and then its the avalance eventually. 
    Turn this anger into
    Nuclear fission
  • Options
    edited February 3
    dwjmu84 said:

Yeah Ok GIFs  Tenor

Yeah Ok GIFs  Tenor
    Is this how people on Red Mosquito comport themselves? 
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    AmantriaAmantria Posts: 372
    Vedd Hedd said:
    dwjmu84 said:
    Vedd Hedd said:

Info coming soon.  

Perhaps, but I think they probably realized (or were gauging) the attention level of the die-hards.  Once those things hit social media, it spread pretty well.  I mean, I sent that youtube clip to family and friends, so me being a die-hard was able to get the word to the more casual fans (for free).  And it was a fairly simple plan, just have the internet/message board grab it and run with it. 

I think their last few albums sort of had a similar level of leakage, though.  Maybe order of operations was a bit different, but they know how the die hards will react by now.   I think they like the way they build it up....they just make one snowball and get it rolling down hill and then its the avalance eventually. 
    I do remember some lightning bolt snippets being leaked, and they all sounded slightly different than when the actual album came out, which was odd to me.  The details are fuzzy in my memory, being over a decade ago and a lot of life happening since then, but I do remember that.  

I dont know...I'm curious but not going to over analyze all this.  All I know for sure is I've got browser tabs open and regularly refreshed and my wallet at the ready. 
    Its good to be back!!
  • Options
    on2legs said:
    dwjmu84 said:

Yeah Ok GIFs  Tenor

Yeah Ok GIFs  Tenor
    Writer Meme Monday Let It Go Or Let the Words Flow  The Mom Who Runs

• Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,203
    on2legs said:
    dwjmu84 said:

Yeah Ok GIFs  Tenor

Yeah Ok GIFs  Tenor
    LOL! 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    THEBIBLEISTENTHEBIBLEISTEN Posts: 1,735
    The listening party did what it was supposed to do, it has people talking and getting people excited. There is absolutely nothing to bitch and complain about.  It was to build a buzz and it has done just that. Just relax and wait for the good news to come out. Be excited. It’s great these guys are still together making music. We are lucky. 
  • Options
    on2legs said:
    dwjmu84 said:

Yeah Ok GIFs  Tenor

Yeah Ok GIFs  Tenor
    LOL! 

Lmao Lol GIF by Awkward Daytime TV
  • Options
    LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 8,260
    matt84 said:
    Kwieneke said:
    Kwieneke said:
    kmcmanus said:

looks almost identical to Earthling, at least according to my memory
    Earthling Eddie Vedder album - Wikipedia
    The vibe I’ve always got with this cover - “The name’s Vedder… Eddie Vedder”.
    Considering he was on the on the record I always thought there was a little nod to Mr Wonder too

• Options
    Windermere11Windermere11 Earth Posts: 134
    mcgruff10 said:
    my_wave said:
    Anyone else kinda depressed that people (mostly entitled elitists/etc)... it's kinda depressing knowing people have heard it and hardcore fans are just sitting here waiting knowing there's a finished album people have already heard... I guess I'm old school and prefer to hear the official release,... life is hard for a lot of people right now and feeling like your favorite band doesn't care kinda sucks, maybe I'm just having a bad day... 
    No. It’s not like waiting for vs to drop in 1993.  Listen to one of their studio albums or bootlegs to pass the time.  

Thank you Mike!!!

1990 12/22
    1991 2/1,26; 3/1; 5/25; 8/23,29
    1992 1/3,17; 7/22; 9/20
    1993 9/5; 10/25; 12/7,8,9
    1995 6/24; 11/4
    1998 7/10,11,13,14
    2000 10/22,25,28,30
    2003 6/2,3,5,6; 10/28
    2006 7/6,7,9,10,12,13; 11/30; 12/2,9
    2009 9/30; 10/1,6,7,9
    2010 5/1
    2013 11/21,23,24
    2014 10/25
    2016 11/14
    2018 8/8,10
    2021 9/26; 10/1,2
    2022 5/3,6,7
    2024 5/16,18,21,22
  • Options
    Windermere11Windermere11 Earth Posts: 134

Go...  
    Thank you Mike!!!

1990 12/22
    1991 2/1,26; 3/1; 5/25; 8/23,29
    1992 1/3,17; 7/22; 9/20
    1993 9/5; 10/25; 12/7,8,9
    1995 6/24; 11/4
    1998 7/10,11,13,14
    2000 10/22,25,28,30
    2003 6/2,3,5,6; 10/28
    2006 7/6,7,9,10,12,13; 11/30; 12/2,9
    2009 9/30; 10/1,6,7,9
    2010 5/1
    2013 11/21,23,24
    2014 10/25
    2016 11/14
    2018 8/8,10
    2021 9/26; 10/1,2
    2022 5/3,6,7
    2024 5/16,18,21,22
  • Options
    dwjmu84 said:
    on2legs said:
    dwjmu84 said:

Yeah Ok GIFs  Tenor

Yeah Ok GIFs  Tenor
    LOL! 

More “respectful” RM behavior I presume?

• Options
    on2legs said:
    dwjmu84 said:
    on2legs said:
    dwjmu84 said:

Yeah Ok GIFs  Tenor

Yeah Ok GIFs  Tenor
    LOL! 

Bro you’re simply incorrigible. Let it go. Move on. Life is short.

adios homie. 
  • Options
    Sirens4Sirens4 Posts: 581
    trying to be positive , if the date is 2/13 we should definitely be getting some sort of teaser this week!?
    Springfield 94 hartford 96,98,06,08 xl center 2010,2013 boston 06,2010 mansfield ma 1998,2000,2003,2008
  • Options
    Sirens4 said:
    trying to be positive , if the date is 2/13 we should definitely be getting some sort of teaser this week!?
    I’m not sure where that date came from. I’ve seen many floated as potential announcement dates, but, announcement of what? Album, tour, both? Neither? lol.

i think we’re close - but who knows?

I’m to the point where I have some of the riffs of those metal doors snippets stuck in my head; I’d really like to hear the actual recordings soon :)

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,123
    dwjmu84 said:
    on2legs said:
    dwjmu84 said:
    on2legs said:
    dwjmu84 said:

Yeah Ok GIFs  Tenor

Yeah Ok GIFs  Tenor
    LOL! 

adios homie. 
    I'm confused. you respond to every single post in this thread with memes and "let it go" but when someone responds to you they are "incorrigible" and need to "move on".

Spider-Man No Way Homes Spider-Mans recreate the pointing
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    dwjmu84 said:
    on2legs said:
    dwjmu84 said:
    on2legs said:
    dwjmu84 said:

Yeah Ok GIFs  Tenor

Yeah Ok GIFs  Tenor
    LOL! 

adios homie. 
    I'm confused. you respond to every single post in this thread with memes and "let it go" but when someone responds to you they are "incorrigible" and need to "move on".

Spider-Man No Way Homes Spider-Mans recreate the pointing
    try to keep up. I gave him multiple outs by posing gifs instead of writing something. that was my way of ending it. he chose to chip again, the following day x2.  he won't give up.  I won't have another response for him.  but for you, I suppose it's necessary.  in spite of that, I appreciate the use of a solid meme. well done.