Options

Exclusive PJ listening party West Hollywood 1.31.24 - Confirmed DARK MATTER and wish I was there

Comments

• Options
    steven87steven87 Posts: 1,334
    JojoRice said:
    🤣🤣🤣
  • Options
    We All BelieveWe All Believe Scarsdale, NY Posts: 513
    Predaking said:

A poorly produced, ultra-compresses collection of above average songs? No one wants this.

Death Magnetic should have been soooo good. It was unlistenable.

They fixed all the sound issues on the mastered for iTunes release. It sounds like it should’ve originally now. I deleted my rip of the cd and bought the iTunes version so I could actually listen to the album again. 
    Didn't know this! I will check it out. Thanks for the tip @Jimmydean55. That much of a difference, eh? I still listen to DM a lot, even though the sound is hot garbage lol.
    May your days be long, til kingdom come.

Join the fight to prevent suicide at www.afsp.org
  • Options
    Album name, cover, release date, track list, single release, and tour announcement today by noon PST or we riot lol.

• Options
    kmcmanuskmcmanus Posts: 679
    Album name, cover, release date, track list, single release, and tour announcement today by noon PST or we riot lol.
    So what’s everyone wearing to the riot?
  • Options
    pdalowsky said:
    Predaking said:

My hope is that Dark Matter is to Pearl Jam what Death Magnetic is to Metallica. 

A poorly produced, ultra-compresses collection of above average songs? No one wants this.

I don't hear that album that way at all.  St. Anger was unlistenable.  That was poorly produced and horrible songs.  I like the sound of Death Magnetic, and really like the songs on there, and it was their best album in 17 years.  Hell, everyone loves And Justice For All and you can barely hear the bass on it.  Agree to disagree on this one.
    St Anger doesnt exist.....or it shouldnt exist. Absolutely appalling considering the banks rich history and immense catalogue
    Yeah, I think Metallica even knows it themselves.  I don't think they play very many songs from that album, and when they do, it's sporadically.  I tried to give it a listen a few months ago to see if my opinion had changed of it, and I couldn't make it all the way through.  I think that album was good in that it forced that band to do an about face on a lot of what they were doing / going through, although the art was not.

I do respect them trying to do something different.  That's one of the reasons why Pearl Jam is my favorite band.  I was comparing them to all of the other huge Seattle bands and I really think that they are the most diverse in terms of their styles of songs.  They've gone heavy, they've gone mellow, they've gone eastern, they've dabbled in country, they've done pop and punk, they've done even done a little electronic with DotC.  They've taken a lot of risks and have delivered and that's a big part of what makes them awesome and stand out.

For years, St. Anger was literally the only thing in Metallica's catalogue that wasn't on my MP3 players or my smartphones lol, a protest to how awful it is. I relented w/my new S23 Ultra, just to be a completionist, but SA still gets no airtime w/me.

• Options
    Clindsey80Clindsey80 Knoxville, TN Posts: 13
    I think they had the listening party on 1/31 because everyone is in town for the Grammy's. There's all kind of articles on the pre-Grammy parties that everyone is having right now. It was prob the most convenient time to get everyone that got the invite to the listening party. Hopefully we'll get a single drop soon.
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,583
    edited February 2
    kmcmanus said:
    All we got was an empty pssst. 
    Man you guys seem psst off.
    i think the psst was well intentioned since there was some unofficial news going on, but it seems to have raised expectations in a way that isn’t getting paid off.  I know my expectation changed when I saw it.
    This.
    No good deed goes unpunished.
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,501

chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    aisleseatsaisleseats Posts: 1,283
    JojoRice said:
    Holy shit! This album is gonna be badass!
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,123
    pdalowsky said:
    Predaking said:

My hope is that Dark Matter is to Pearl Jam what Death Magnetic is to Metallica. 

I don't hear that album that way at all.  St. Anger was unlistenable.  That was poorly produced and horrible songs.  I like the sound of Death Magnetic, and really like the songs on there, and it was their best album in 17 years.  Hell, everyone loves And Justice For All and you can barely hear the bass on it.  Agree to disagree on this one.
    St Anger doesnt exist.....or it shouldnt exist. Absolutely appalling considering the banks rich history and immense catalogue
    Yeah, I think Metallica even knows it themselves.  I don't think they play very many songs from that album, and when they do, it's sporadically.  I tried to give it a listen a few months ago to see if my opinion had changed of it, and I couldn't make it all the way through.  I think that album was good in that it forced that band to do an about face on a lot of what they were doing / going through, although the art was not.

I do respect them trying to do something different.  That's one of the reasons why Pearl Jam is my favorite band.  I was comparing them to all of the other huge Seattle bands and I really think that they are the most diverse in terms of their styles of songs.  They've gone heavy, they've gone mellow, they've gone eastern, they've dabbled in country, they've done pop and punk, they've done even done a little electronic with DotC.  They've taken a lot of risks and have delivered and that's a big part of what makes them awesome and stand out.

For years, St. Anger was literally the only thing in Metallica's catalogue that wasn't on my MP3 players or my smartphones lol, a protest to how awful it is. I relented w/my new S23 Ultra, just to be a completionist, but SA still gets no airtime w/me.
    *hand up* only guy that likes St Anger. prefer the rehearsal dvd versions, but I still dig the songs. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    kramer73kramer73 Posts: 2,607
    It seems this place has already gotten to that point. 
  • Options
    JojoRice said:
    Holy shit! This album is gonna be badass!
    the new rick roll
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    my_wavemy_wave clearwater, FL Posts: 340
    edited February 4
    Anyone else kinda depressed that people have heard the entire album and we haven't gotten anything, not a single, name of the first single, album title, release date, artwork, (nothing official for any of the above anyways)...

the waiting drove me mad...
    torture follows reward follows torture...

throw your hatred down...
    Post edited by my_wave on
    st. pete '94
    west palm beach '98
    tampa '00
    tampa '03
    tampa '08
    brooklyn '13
    austin '14
    austin '14
    tampa '16

ed - clearwater '12
    ed - clearwater '12
  • Options
    KwienekeKwieneke Indiana Posts: 1,363
    my_wave said:
    Anyone else kinda depressed that people (mostly entitled elitists/etc)... have heard the entire album and we haven't gotten anything, not a single, name of the first single, album title, release date, artwork, (nothing official for any of the above anyways) literally nothing, almost like they don't care, not that they have too, but it's kinda depressing knowing people have heard it and hardcore fans are just sitting here waiting knowing there's a finished album people have already heard... I'd be more hyped if there was even just an official announcement to the fans, but there's nothing... and I'm holding off on listening to the 'bootleg'... I guess I'm old school and prefer to hear the official release,... life is hard for a lot of people right now and feeling like your favorite band doesn't care kinda sucks, maybe I'm just having a bad day... or maybe it's just me, but for me it's depressing... sure I'll delete this when we hear something,... 

Is this not the process for literally every single album from any artist? executives, friends, family. they all hear it first, all the time 
    Noblesville 5.7.2010. Lexington 4.26.2016. Nashville 9.16.2022. St Louis 9.18.2022.
    Chicago 1 9.5.2023. Chicago 2 9.7.2023. 
    *Noblesville 9.10.2023* (Gutted) 
  • Options
    iOnlyownMymindiOnlyownMymind Posts: 2,607
    my_wave said:
    Anyone else kinda depressed that people (mostly entitled elitists/etc)... have heard the entire album and we haven't gotten anything, not a single, name of the first single, album title, release date, artwork, (nothing official for any of the above anyways) literally nothing, almost like they don't care, not that they have too, but it's kinda depressing knowing people have heard it and hardcore fans are just sitting here waiting knowing there's a finished album people have already heard... I'd be more hyped if there was even just an official announcement to the fans, but there's nothing... and I'm holding off on listening to the 'bootleg'... I guess I'm old school and prefer to hear the official release,... life is hard for a lot of people right now and feeling like your favorite band doesn't care kinda sucks, maybe I'm just having a bad day... or maybe it's just me, but for me it's depressing... sure I'll delete this when we hear something,... 

It's been mentioned for weeks now...February 13 for official information. I wouldn't get too depressed until we get to that day and hear nothing, lol.  Anything before that should be a surprise. 
  • Options
    Jimmydean55Jimmydean55 Posts: 1,183
    Predaking said:

They fixed all the sound issues on the mastered for iTunes release. It sounds like it should’ve originally now. I deleted my rip of the cd and bought the iTunes version so I could actually listen to the album again. 
    Didn't know this! I will check it out. Thanks for the tip @Jimmydean55. That much of a difference, eh? I still listen to DM a lot, even though the sound is hot garbage lol.
    Yeah. It’s like listening to a new album. I found out over on the Met Forum. They didn’t announce it or anything, it just happened. I don’t think they wanted to admit how horrible it sounded. But yeah, make sure it says “Apple Digital Master” and don’t pay attention to the reviews because they are from the original release. 
  • Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,447
    my_wave said:

I'm not. You just gotta be patient.
  • Options
    Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,569
    my_wave said:

This is pretty standard.  They did this for Gigaton. They have also done private parties and listening events for other things. Its like a pre-release hype fest.  
    Being upset about this is like being upset that they dont let you in for soundcheck before a concert.  I mean, some people are going to get in and hear it, most wont.  When they are ready, we will get it. Its not elitist. 

Turn this anger into
    Nuclear fission
  • Options
    not at all. I'm sure it's super exciting for the band to have this type of celebration with their friends and family just before everything explodes and the promo and tour cycle begins. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    spankyMPspankyMP NY to NC to NH Posts: 1,350
    edited February 2
    my_wave said:

No (in the most supportive way possible).
    Post edited by spankyMP on
    Randall's Island 9/29/96, Continental Arena 9/8/98, MSG 9/10/98, Jones Beach 8/23/00, 8/24/00, 8/25/00, Nassau Coliseum 4/30/03, MSG 7/8/03, 7/9/03, Continental Arena 6/1/06, 6/3/06, MSG 6/24/08, 6/25/08, Spectrum 10/30/09, 10/31/09, MSG 5/20/10, 5/21/10, PJ20 9/3/11, 9/4/11, Charlottesville 10/29/13, Charlotte 10/30/13, Global Citizen 9/26/15, Raleigh 4/20/16 :( Baltimore 3/28/20 :( Austin 9/18/23, 9/19/23, Forum 5/21/24, Baltimore 9/12/24, Fenway 9/17/24
  • Options
    my_wave said:

Jealous maybe.  Not depressed.  That's the way the music business works.  They're promoting an album so people in the music industry and media get invited and of course they invite friends, some of which happen to be celebrities.  Don't take it personally.
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 18,166
    my_wave said:

come down off the roof sir...holy shit
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    dwjmu84dwjmu84 Posts: 365
    Relax everyone. I think what he's trying to say is that he's simply dying to hear the new stuff, as we all are.  Obviously we all respect the right of PJ to do as they see fit, but that doesn't mean we can't wonder, question, think critically, etc about the way they operate (as long as in a respectful manner).  After all, the guys would be the first people championing such a concept, and if you do not believe that to be true, you haven't been listening for 30 yrs.

Do I wish they would do something new, bold, and out of character? yes. Will my life go on just fine if not? certainly so.

Our frustration is almost always the product of our love for the music. Keep that in mind and we can all get along :)
  • Options
    dwjmu84 said:
    Relax everyone. I think what he's trying to say is that he's simply dying to hear the new stuff, as we all are.  Obviously we all respect the right of PJ to do as they see fit, but that doesn't mean we can't wonder, question, think critically, etc about the way they operate (as long as in a respectful manner).  After all, the guys would be the first people championing such a concept, and if you do not believe that to be true, you haven't been listening for 30 yrs.

Do I wish they would do something new, bold, and out of character? yes. Will my life go on just fine if not? certainly so.

Our frustration is almost always the product of our love for the music. Keep that in mind and we can all get along :)

He's taking it too personally.  The general public wasn't even supposed to know about this party.  This was an industry event.  It's not a bunch of "entitled elitists" publicly rubbing everyone's nose in the fact that they weren't able to attend.

• Options
    on2legs said:
    dwjmu84 said:

He's taking it too personally.  The general public wasn't even supposed to know about this party.  This was an industry event.  It's not a bunch of "entitled elitists" publicly rubbing everyone's nose in the fact that they weren't able to attend.
    Yes and no. Not meant for the public sure, but a tad naive to think stuff would not leak out. They def know, and that’s ok. I bet something will happen soon, but you can’t admonish people for being eager. 
  • Options
    dwjmu84 said:
    on2legs said:
    dwjmu84 said:

Yes and no. Not meant for the public sure, but a tad naive to think stuff would not leak out. They def know, and that’s ok. I bet something will happen soon, but you can’t admonish people for being eager. 

No one admonished him.

• Options
    jimjam1982jimjam1982 AZ Posts: 1,329
    One would imagine that they would say might as well release the single instead of letting people formulate opinions through a bootleg behind closed doors/walls.  

Unless they just dropping the whole album at once which would be amazing.
  • Options
    on2legs said:
    dwjmu84 said:
    on2legs said:
    dwjmu84 said:

No one admonished him.
    I feel like collectively that's what happened.  This board has a huge problem with allowing people to express different opinions without the collective "wisdom" checking them.  Def don't see that over at RM, thankfully.

Anyway, we will see what next week brings.  

At least I can go back to my Van Halen binge now without the distraction of new PJ.
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,501
    dwjmu84 said:
    on2legs said:
    dwjmu84 said:
    on2legs said:
    dwjmu84 said:

No one admonished him.
    I feel like collectively that's what happened.  This board has a huge problem with allowing people to express different opinions without the collective "wisdom" checking them.  Def don't see that over at RM, thankfully.

Anyway, we will see what next week brings.  

At least I can go back to my Van Halen binge now without the distraction of new PJ.
    Oh shit. I totally forgot about RM. Haven't been in there in YEARS. 

chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,739
    my_wave said:

No. Combining patience with lowering expectations that others do things a certain way makes me a happier person.