Options

Exclusive PJ listening party West Hollywood 1.31.24 - Confirmed DARK MATTER and wish I was there

Comments

• Options
    Jimmydean55Jimmydean55 Posts: 1,183
    Predaking said:

A poorly produced, ultra-compresses collection of above average songs? No one wants this.

Death Magnetic should have been soooo good. It was unlistenable.

They fixed all the sound issues on the mastered for iTunes release. It sounds like it should’ve originally now. I deleted my rip of the cd and bought the iTunes version so I could actually listen to the album again. 
  • Options
    HaijayHaijay Posts: 358
    Spunkie said:
    ^ meh tallica - let's circle back and talk about piss again! Much more pleasant.
    Well said. Perfect description of them 
  • Options
    justamjustam Posts: 21,402
    albysly said:
    I think it looks a little like a colon.....
    That's what I thought too!

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,501

chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    bmurray06bmurray06 Austin, Texas Posts: 143
    Spunkie said:
    yosi said:
    Spunkie said:
    ^ meh tallica - let's circle back and talk about piss again! Much more pleasant.
    Piss-Bottle Men, we’ve been talking about them the whole time, no? 
    This is more like it.

First bootlegs I got. 'Jack Irons.. ja ja jack jack!'
  • Options
    MS149515MS149515 Chicago Posts: 185
    Dang, this thread is a dumpster fire. Someone stop. 

On a completely unrelated note, this album sounds like something I am going to love. Can't wait.
    This thread remind me of why Facebook and why I don't go there anymore. 
  • Options
    VINNY GOOMBAVINNY GOOMBA Posts: 1,804
    SS657083 said:
    With a guy like Watt being a mega fan of the band, there's a great chance he knows how to guide them through this process to maximize their strengths.  I think Watt also knows what constitutes a hit these days and how to put a modern spin on a classic band.

My hope is that Dark Matter is to Pearl Jam what Death Magnetic is to Metallica. 

Good points Vinny. I like this comparison and I hope you are 100% spot on. I remember how surprised (in a good way) I was listening to Death Magnetic for the first time. But then again, the release before that was St. Anger.   

In any case, any new PJ music is great, but imagine getting an album that has strong Ten or Vs. vibes with its own modern-day Pearl Jam polish?
    Thank you!  I would love that combination very much, and I honestly don't think it would be that hard for them to do it.  It's possible that they just haven't wanted to do anything like that, but maybe Watt directed them in such a way that this would be the inevitable result?  If it were me, and that was the goal, I would be pushing them to focus more on strong, groovy, and heavy riffs as the basis for most of their music.  They lyrical focus would me more emphasis on storytelling, and less direct / more cryptic with the language used, more room for interpretation.  Less importance on rhyming.  It's amazing how many lyrics on Ten don't actually rhyme, and you don't even notice it because it's done so smoothly and powerfully.  I feel that sort of thing comes with a lot of time and maturity in songwriting, and this band hit it out of the park from the get go in their infancy as a band.  Big Choruses.  Do a hard 90 turn at the bridge.  Ripping solos at the end of the songs, with tasty leads throughout.  Less punk, more groove.  

I will be happy with whatever we get.  What I'm describing above may sound more like Ten or Vs, but my personal favorite is Vitalogy.  I enjoy the adventures that all of their albums bring and am super excited to hear this one.
  • Options
    halvhalv Posts: 695
    edited February 2
  • Options
    JT167846JT167846 Posts: 861
    edited February 2
    I'm a sucker for the big choruses eh. Maybe it's due to Ed's baritone in verses-his voice is so deep that the contrast when the band hits those soaring highs just hits me right in the feels. In Hiding, GTF, Amongst The Waves, the end of Retrograde...they show that the band has never lost the ability to write a great chorus after having set such a benchmark for the mid tempo stuff from Ten and the way they do it hits me like no other band. Pearl Jam choruses and Tool endings-haha there'd be a wicked combination.
    Post edited by JT167846 on
    Stars are suns to other people.

Wellington 1998
    London 2007
    Brisbane 2009
    Stockholm 2012
    Amsterdam 1 & 2 2014
    EV Dublin 2017
    Milan 2018
    Padova 2018
    Boston 2 2018
  • Options
    TinaETinaE Germany Posts: 1,373
    deb1211 said:
    Theebs said:
    I am excited.  I can find enjoyment in however the album sounds honestly.  I am really just happy they are still here and making music and touring when they can.  I am happy I am still here to get to listen!  I loved the new painted shield single. I bet I will love the new PJ stuff as well.
    Exactly. Same here. I am so happy and grateful that we still have PJ playing live and making new music and being excited about what they are putting out there. I'm so so excited.
    I totally agree.
    Berlin 07/05/2018; Berlin 06/21/2022; Frankfurt 06/28/2022
    Eddie Vedder Düsseldorf 06/30/2019
    "The future ain't what it used to be..."
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,580
    JT167846 said:
    I'm a sucker for the big choruses eh. Maybe it's due to Ed's baritone in verses-his voice is so deep that the contrast when the band hits those soaring highs just hits me right in the feels. In Hiding, GTF, Amongst The Waves, the end of Retrograde...they show that the band has never lost the ability to write a great chorus after having set such a benchmark for the mid tempo stuff from Ten and the way they do it hits me like no other band. Pearl Jam choruses and Tool endings-haha there'd be a wicked combination.
    And Neil Young guitar solos
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,474
    Ok so they hold a listening party nice! But why not reward us here with a single release so we can enjoy it too aren’t we all paying customers here? I know they will release one soon I guess but still 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 12,768
    All we got was an empty pssst. 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    AO253126AO253126 Posts: 363
    BF25394 said:
    AO253126 said:
    https://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/wireStory/pearl-jam-throws-listening-party-new-album-eddie-106852555?fbclid=IwAR1xjcP0Cee4pDnZF6SsiQyQ6_jtHARQKUmyvX2yMzHSSHFmSBUFn-A6hoU

“We made this record like a year ago," Ament told the audience. “We’ve been sitting on it.”

“Gigaton” surprised many fans and critics with how hard-rocking it was. The new one goes even harder. It's almost athletic in its speed, aggression, and tenacity, sounding like it would make men of their age sore in the aftermath.

While Vedder remains the face and voice of the band, the star of this album is drummer Matt Cameron, who joined the Jam in 1998 after starting out with Soundgarden.

His relentless pounding opens many of the 11 tracks, and drowns out his bandmates' playing and Vedder's vocals at times.

“It's one of the greatest drum records we’ve ever made,” Vedders said to cheers from a crowd that included Red Hot Chili Peppers drummer Chad Smith. “Matt Cameron is just playing out of his skull, especially seeing as how it’s our last record.”

There were a few things in that article that made me raise my eyebrows, but nothing more so than "the Jam". If people have been referring to them all these years as "the Jam" and I've been missing it, then shame on me!
    Actually, the writer meant that Matt has been drumming for The Jam, the Paul Weller outfit, since 1998 even though they broke up in 1982.
    Nice. So not only is he an awesome drummer, he's also a time traveler. No wonder he fits in so well.
  • Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,915
    Predaking said:

My hope is that Dark Matter is to Pearl Jam what Death Magnetic is to Metallica. 

A poorly produced, ultra-compresses collection of above average songs? No one wants this.

I don't hear that album that way at all.  St. Anger was unlistenable.  That was poorly produced and horrible songs.  I like the sound of Death Magnetic, and really like the songs on there, and it was their best album in 17 years.  Hell, everyone loves And Justice For All and you can barely hear the bass on it.  Agree to disagree on this one.
    St Anger doesnt exist.....or it shouldnt exist. Absolutely appalling considering the banks rich history and immense catalogue
  • Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,937
    Hopefully they throw us “normies” a bone soon. It’d be nice. 
  • Options
    tylermooretylermoore St. Joseph, MI Posts: 903
    Yeah I don’t understand that. 
    “Psssst you’re not important enough to get the invite but just know stuff is happening” 
    I don’t really care, just odd 
  • Options
    kmcmanuskmcmanus Posts: 679
    Man you guys seem psst off.
    i think the psst was well intentioned since there was some unofficial news going on, but it seems to have raised expectations in a way that isn’t getting paid off.  I know my expectation changed when I saw it.
  • Options
    KwienekeKwieneke Indiana Posts: 1,363
    kmcmanus said:
    Man you guys seem psst off.
    i think the psst was well intentioned since there was some unofficial news going on, but it seems to have raised expectations in a way that isn’t getting paid off.  I know my expectation changed when I saw it.
    +1
    Noblesville 5.7.2010. Lexington 4.26.2016. Nashville 9.16.2022. St Louis 9.18.2022.
    Chicago 1 9.5.2023. Chicago 2 9.7.2023. 
    *Noblesville 9.10.2023* (Gutted) 
  • Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,447
    Lighten up 
  • Options
    Force Of NatureForce Of Nature Hertfordshire, England Posts: 1,012
    Yup, was convinced we were getting a single on Wed
  • Options
    tylermooretylermoore St. Joseph, MI Posts: 903
    pjl44 said:
    Lighten up 
    No it’s called Dark Matter
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,999
    On one hand, we can all chuckle at Santos's attempt at making a funny. On the other, it was a bit of a troll. No big deal either way. 

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    veddermanvedderman Posts: 801
    So the listening event was for friends, family and press. Two days ago. There isn't any official publishing from any of the press representative about the actual event. 
    2000 Ljubljana
    2006 Vienna, Zagreb
    2007 Munich
    2009 Berlin
    2010 Dublin, Belfast, Berlin, Venice
    2011 Montreal, Toronto 1&2
    2012 Manchester 1&2, Amsterdam 1&2, Prague, Berlin 1&2, EV Manchester
    2013 Worcester 1&2, Brooklyn 1&2
    2014 Amsterdam 1&2, Manchester 1&2, Milano, Trieste, Vienna, Berlin
    2017 EV Firenze, Taormina 1&2
    2018 Amsterdam 1&2, Padova, Prague, Krakow, Berlin
    2019 EV Firenze
  • Options
    VINNY GOOMBAVINNY GOOMBA Posts: 1,804
    pdalowsky said:
    Predaking said:

I don't hear that album that way at all.  St. Anger was unlistenable.  That was poorly produced and horrible songs.  I like the sound of Death Magnetic, and really like the songs on there, and it was their best album in 17 years.  Hell, everyone loves And Justice For All and you can barely hear the bass on it.  Agree to disagree on this one.
    St Anger doesnt exist.....or it shouldnt exist. Absolutely appalling considering the banks rich history and immense catalogue
    Yeah, I think Metallica even knows it themselves.  I don't think they play very many songs from that album, and when they do, it's sporadically.  I tried to give it a listen a few months ago to see if my opinion had changed of it, and I couldn't make it all the way through.  I think that album was good in that it forced that band to do an about face on a lot of what they were doing / going through, although the art was not.

I do respect them trying to do something different.  That's one of the reasons why Pearl Jam is my favorite band.  I was comparing them to all of the other huge Seattle bands and I really think that they are the most diverse in terms of their styles of songs.  They've gone heavy, they've gone mellow, they've gone eastern, they've dabbled in country, they've done pop and punk, they've done even done a little electronic with DotC.  They've taken a lot of risks and have delivered and that's a big part of what makes them awesome and stand out.

• Options
    kmcmanuskmcmanus Posts: 679
    vedderman said:
    So the listening event was for friends, family and press. Two days ago. There isn't any official publishing from any of the press representative about the actual event. 
    I mean there was an article in Spin.
    most of the more substantial reporting is possibly embargoed until after the album is actually announced.
  • Options
    JojoRiceJojoRice Kennesaw, GA Posts: 4,089
    "I got memories, I got shit"

ISO 2016 Greenville shirt. Size medium. PM me if you have one for sale/trade.
  • Options
    Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 7,040
    Can you post. Don’t have facebook
  • Options
    SM187650SM187650 Canada Posts: 723
    Can you post. Don’t have facebook
    Same.
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 18,166
    JojoRice said:
    wow....that's awesome
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana