Options

Exclusive PJ listening party West Hollywood 1.31.24 - Confirmed DARK MATTER and wish I was there

Comments

• Options
    CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,502
    This back n forth is probably gonna end up like getting one of the best meals of your life…. But crying that it was brought out 5 min past your expectations and remembering that instead of the obvious

i know someone who heard the album, I’m not asking questions cause I want to listen front to back ( will listen to actual single) and they are so thrilled with it.

so what’s the problem here? Why all this “ I would” “ they shoulda”…. Create a band…. Amuse us

i feel like Denzel meeting Ethan Hawke in training day for 1st time… Ethan interrupts him while he’s reading his paper

Denzel says tell me a fuckin story then….just a bunch of horseshit, it’s like if my aunt had a penis she’d be my uncle

there’s nothing controversial here…. Just some novice know it all

lets also Retire the word Elite

it’s worn out a tad   

I’m excited… build up is fun, go  for a walk, gym, sex… something to pass the time if it bothers you

all those help 🤠
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,574
    dwjmu84 said:
    on2legs said:
    dwjmu84 said:
    on2legs said:
    dwjmu84 said:

Yeah Ok GIFs  Tenor

Yeah Ok GIFs  Tenor
    Is this how people on Red Mosquito comport themselves? 
    LOL! 

Lmao Lol GIF by Awkward Daytime TV
    More “respectful” RM behavior I presume?
    Bro you’re simply incorrigible. Let it go. Move on. Life is short.

adios homie. 
    I'm confused. you respond to every single post in this thread with memes and "let it go" but when someone responds to you they are "incorrigible" and need to "move on".

Spider-Man No Way Homes Spider-Mans recreate the pointing
    Well articulated and very wise.  Your meme is a fitting end to this portion of the conversation. 
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,550
    It’s like seeing kids fight on Christmas eve. 

Like, this is the day that no one needs to fight and bicker. We’ll soon get gifts and candycanes. 
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options

Like, this is the day that no one needs to fight and bicker. We’ll soon get gifts and candycanes. 
    Don’t forget about the Julmust! 
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    aisleseatsaisleseats Posts: 1,282

Perhaps they celebrate Festivus. And this is the airing of grievances.
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,103

Perhaps they celebrate Festivus. And this is the airing of grievances.
    I GOT A LOT OF PROBLEMS WITH YOU PEOPLE
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,103
    dwjmu84 said:
    dwjmu84 said:
    on2legs said:
    dwjmu84 said:
    on2legs said:
    dwjmu84 said:

Yeah Ok GIFs  Tenor

Yeah Ok GIFs  Tenor
    Is this how people on Red Mosquito comport themselves? 
    LOL! 

Lmao Lol GIF by Awkward Daytime TV
    More “respectful” RM behavior I presume?
    Bro you’re simply incorrigible. Let it go. Move on. Life is short.

adios homie. 
    I'm confused. you respond to every single post in this thread with memes and "let it go" but when someone responds to you they are "incorrigible" and need to "move on".

Spider-Man No Way Homes Spider-Mans recreate the pointing
    try to keep up. I gave him multiple outs by posing gifs instead of writing something. that was my way of ending it. he chose to chip again, the following day x2.  he won't give up.  I won't have another response for him.  but for you, I suppose it's necessary.  in spite of that, I appreciate the use of a solid meme. well done.
    oh, haha, I'm kept up. you're one of those "last words" types. we've seen a lot of those 'round these parts before. they swoop in, bitch about how everyone here is an asshole, while not realizing they are being an asshole themselves, and in 6 months or less they disappear. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Gonzo1977Gonzo1977 Posts: 1,696
    This whole album release approach is so antiquated and dumb. This band operates like it's still the 90's. Nobody outside of the core pearl jam fan base actually gives a fuck whether this thing is released today, tomorrow, or released so that that it perfectly lines up with a solar eclipse. If Dark Matter or whatever this thing is called, truly is the bands best work...then just release the fucking album already !!. Announce the tour and get on with it!! Delaying this release is just a stupid cock tease that serves no purpose other than to get a handful of remaining pearl jam fans anxious; fans that will buy this album and love it regardless. If it's good enough to pick up a few new fans...great! But does it really matter when it's released?  Why sit on it for a year like Jeff said? I don't get it. Even if this thing is better than TEN & VS & Sgt. Pepper's it won't matter...It will get chewed up, spit out and forgotten about in a week. It's just the way things are today. Sitting on it for a year and delaying the release makes it seem more like the band is unsure of it...rather than proud of it.   
  • Options
    KwienekeKwieneke Indiana Posts: 1,361
    not another one of these...
    Noblesville 5.7.2010. Lexington 4.26.2016. Nashville 9.16.2022. St Louis 9.18.2022.
    Chicago 1 9.5.2023. Chicago 2 9.7.2023. 
    *Noblesville 9.10.2023* (Gutted) 
  • Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,429
    Gonzo1977 said:
    This whole album release approach is so antiquated and dumb. This band operates like it's still the 90's. Nobody outside of the core pearl jam fan base actually gives a fuck whether this thing is released today, tomorrow, or released so that that it perfectly lines up with a solar eclipse. If Dark Matter or whatever this thing is called, truly is the bands best work...then just release the fucking album already !!. Announce the tour and get on with it!! Delaying this release is just a stupid cock tease that serves no purpose other than to get a handful of remaining pearl jam fans anxious; fans that will buy this album and love it regardless. If it's good enough to pick up a few new fans...great! But does it really matter when it's released?  Why sit on it for a year like Jeff said? I don't get it. Even if this thing is better than TEN & VS & Sgt. Pepper's it won't matter...It will get chewed up, spit out and forgotten about in a week. It's just the way things are today. Sitting on it for a year and delaying the release makes it seem more like the band is unsure of it...rather than proud of it.   

• Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,550
    Gonzo1977 said:
    Lol
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,966
    Gonzo1977 said:
    No strip tease, didn't igot/sumone refer to surprise all at once weeks back?

• Options
    BF25394BF25394 Posts: 3,890
    Gonzo1977 said:
    The songs are recorded, mixed and mastered, but the album may not actually be ready for release. There are long lead times now for manufacturing vinyl. And we learned last night that a certain four-time Album-of-the-Year Grammy winner who is going to sell more records in an hour than Pearl Jam will sell in a year has a new album in the pipeline.

Whether this surmise is correct or not, there's nothing nefarious going on here. Bear in mind also that the band hasn't really said or done much of anything to feed this rumor mill, so I'm not sure what you're so exercised about. They had a listening party that they didn't actually publicize. There have been a few stray, vague comments in interviews over a period of about a year. A person who was not following these threads would have no idea there is anything in the offing. So much of this is self-generated smoke by the obsessives here (myself included).
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • Options
    dwjmu84dwjmu84 Posts: 365
    Gonzo1977 said:
    Can’t think that way around here bro. You’ll get your pee pee slapped. 

Let’s see how this plays out. You’re def right about this: outside of the core base the masses aren’t really going to care. “Oh PJ has new music? Nice to see those old guys still kicking”

we will adore it of course! I just hope to see a little evolution of the process. But new music is a bonus either way!
  • Options
    se7v7ense7v7en Philadelphia, PA Posts: 328
    Gonzo1977 said:
    I couldn't disagree with this more.   There could be many reasons, business related or personal why they sat on it, but  whatever those reasons are I'd bet they boil down to the band wanting to release it at a time when they felt they could do it right and give it the roll out they feel it warrants.  And why not build it up?  What's the rush?  A new album only happens once and awhile and who knows when the next one will be, if at all.  We live in the era of immediacy and instant gratification.  It's nice to have something to marinate, something to anticipate and be excited for.  Also, why do we appreciate PJ for doing things differently than other bands, but then get upset when they don't conform to the particular current industry trends that we like, say just throwing it up on Spotify.  No, they put more thought and effort into the release than that.  I'm sure they realize there will be those then complaining that they aren't getting what they want when they want it, and imagine they just expect the majority to have patience and appreciate what they are doing.  
  • Options
    BloodMeridian80BloodMeridian80 Seattle Posts: 627
    edited February 5
    Gonzo1977 said:
    I'd guess the main reason for any delay is that they wanted to release it in conjunction with a "large" touring year/announcement. Whether you or I think that is a valid reason is kind of moot. It's hard for me to work up this level of disgust/anger/frustration about nearly anything, so I appreciate your passion!
  • Options
    se7v7en said:
    Gonzo1977 said:
    I couldn't disagree with this more.   There could be many reasons, business related or personal why they sat on it, but  whatever those reasons are I'd bet they boil down to the band wanting to release it at a time when they felt they could do it right and give it the roll out they feel it warrants.  And why not build it up?  What's the rush?  A new album only happens once and awhile and who knows when the next one will be, if at all.  We live in the era of immediacy and instant gratification.  It's nice to have something to marinate, something to anticipate and be excited for.  Also, why do we appreciate PJ for doing things differently than other bands, but then get upset when they don't conform to the particular current industry trends that we like, say just throwing it up on Spotify.  No, they put more thought and effort into the release than that.  I'm sure they realize there will be those then complaining that they aren't getting what they want when they want it, and imagine they just expect the majority to have patience and appreciate what they are doing.  
    I understand where you're coming from. but I would posit another possibility. It's not JUST about instant gratification. maybe some of us want to see a different method to the release of new music, irrespective of the time element. and, to address that, we've sort of been waiting on this album for a few years. early in 22 ed mentioned in a variety article that watt was already lined up and I think there had even been one session. of course we've had a slew of updates since, many of which suggested that music was ready since summer of '23.  but, don't take it from me.  watt himself told the guys they "took to long to write/record/release records". and this is coming from the guy who they entrusted to help change their processes.

whatever happens, we will all be psyched to hear the new stuff, but I think this board could stand to be a tad more open minded to other schools of thought.  we shall see how it all plays out. can't wait to hear it at home and on the road!

• Options
    Gonzo1977 said:
    I'd guess the main reason for any delay is that they wanted to release it in conjunction with a "large" touring year/announcement. Whether you or I think that is a valid reason is kind of moot. It's hard for me to work up this level of disgust/anger/frustration about nearly anything, so I appreciate your passion!

This seems most likely.  And they can tour again next year ( :prayer: ) and still make it part of the Dark Matter tour if they want.  If they released the album last year it would already feel stale by now, let alone next year.

• Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,493
    Gonzo1977 said:
    tldr

chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    LizardLizard So Cal Posts: 12,085
    tldr

what is tldr?  the last damn record?
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • Options
    100 Pacer100 Pacer Toronto, ON Posts: 8,675
    Lizard said:
    tldr

what is tldr?  the last damn record?
    Too long didn’t read
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 18,162
    pjl44 said:
    Gonzo1977 said:

now that's funny...
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,048
    kmcmanus said:
    All we got was an empty pssst. 
    Man you guys seem psst off.
    i think the psst was well intentioned since there was some unofficial news going on, but it seems to have raised expectations in a way that isn’t getting paid off.  I know my expectation changed when I saw it.
    I don't think so. There were already threads and announcements about the listening party. It was a tease. I'm not upset, I think it was harmless trolling in good fun, but there was no good intentions about it. Did anyone think some big news was not imminent? I'm sure Santos got a good laugh out of it, and no hard feelings here from me.
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,648
    edited February 5
    Some of you (rather foolishly) think that because the band finishes a record it intends to release it right away.  PJ could easily have a cadence they like to release records and that is they want to release one in 2024.  So, in 2021 the band could have decided the goal is to release a new record in 2024 with a larger tour.  They then said “we have three years to get the record done.  How about we get the record done in 2022?  Does that work for everyone’s schedule?  Great.”  

They probably want to spread the records out, but they can make them when they feel like it.  

Post edited by bootlegger10 on
  • Options
    Some of you (rather foolishly) think that because the band finishes a record it intends to release it right away.  PJ could easily have a cadence they like to release records and that is they want to release one in 2024.  So, in 2021 the band could have decided the goal is to release a new record in 2024 with a larger tour.  They then said “we have three years to get the record done.  How about we get the record done in 2022?  Does that work for everyone’s schedule?  Great.”  

They probably want to spread the records out, but they can make them when they feel like it.  

I suppose that's not impossible, but I judge it to be highly unlikely. I don't think these guys (with families and tons of side projects) think that far ahead. No way.  

• Options
    100 Pacer100 Pacer Toronto, ON Posts: 8,675
    dwjmu84 said:

I suppose that's not impossible, but I judge it to be highly unlikely. I don't think these guys (with families and tons of side projects) think that far ahead. No way.  

A friend was told about the US and European tour specifics in September of last year. Things get planned a year in advance is my impression.
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
  • Options
    edited February 5
    dwjmu84 said:

I think they definitely pencil it out.  When you have more going on, that is exactly when you have to plan things out more in advance.

if they had nothing else going on, then they would be able to play it by ear.

anyway, point is they make the record any time they want, and then can release it any time they want.  Just because it is done doesn’t mean they are obligated to release it.
    Post edited by bootlegger10 on
  • Options
    yeah.....I don't think they were sitting around in 2021 saying "hey, let's make sure our next record comes out in 2024".

I don't even think the band agreed the album was done until very late summer/early fall.  so....sure, things like tours may be planned more in advance, but I bet you'd be surprised at how simple and ad hoc the sausage making was if you could get on "the inside".
  • Options
    dwjmu84 said:
    yeah.....I don't think they were sitting around in 2021 saying "hey, let's make sure our next record comes out in 2024".

I don't even think the band agreed the album was done until very late summer/early fall.  so....sure, things like tours may be planned more in advance, but I bet you'd be surprised at how simple and ad hoc the sausage making was if you could get on "the inside".
    Jeff said it was done a year ago.  

I would be surprised if they don’t have a vision of the next three years.  In pencil.  Sure some bands make an album and push it out on a whim, but I don’t think that is the case for Pearl Jam.  

Backspacer - 2009
    Lightning Bolt - 2013
    Gigaton - 2020
    New Album - 2024

If not for planning, they probably waited to finish up their Gigaton run of shows that were delayed due to Covid.   They clearly waited for a reason because they waited.  End of the day that is my only point.  They release the album when they want to, not after it is recorded.
  • Options
    dwjmu84 said:

Jeff said it was done a year ago.  

I would be surprised if they don’t have a vision of the next three years.  In pencil.  Sure some bands make an album and push it out on a whim, but I don’t think that is the case for Pearl Jam.  

Backspacer - 2009
    Lightning Bolt - 2013
    Gigaton - 2020
    New Album - 2024

If not for planning, they probably waited to finish up their Gigaton run of shows that were delayed due to Covid.   They clearly waited for a reason because they waited.  End of the day that is my only point.  They release the album when they want to, not after it is recorded.
    Jeff also said in the Kyle Meredith interview on 6/30 he didn't even know what they had at that point. So, I take his recent comment as: they finished last year (late summer) and have been waiting (meanwhile mixing, mastering, pressing etc) for other plans (tour dates) to crystalize before building a promo schedule for Dark Matter.  Again, from the horses mouth. MC said right at Thanksgiving that the record was ready to go and they were simply waiting for a tour to be finalized.  

I honestly don't think much is even penciled in beyond about a year with these guys any more.  THey're probably looking to tour most of '24 and beyond that, I doubt any one of them knows what the future of PJ looks like.

Let's just hope there IS a future beyond that :)