Options

Groomers aka sexual predators

Comments

• Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,495
    edited June 2023
    mace1229 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    The vast majority of those 300k Chile marriages are 17 year olds. Many states allow 17 year olds to marry with parental permission, and I’ve never heard that was a religious vs non-religious view.. While I’d never give permission to my 17 year old, it’s hard for me to argue against it when they are allowed to be sent off to war. I have a 17 year old cousin in boot camp right now.

Ive grown up in the church and still attend. I have many family and friends in that Christian circle. I can’t think of a single personal I personally know who’d be okay with a child marriage beyond what is legal, and most wouldn’t even give permission to their 17 year old either. I have a hard time believing this post is accurate by any stretch.

I read many comments in that link. Seems to be full of misconceptions and false stereotypes. One was this image below. I had no idea what it was taking about. After trying to find out, all I could see was March 2022 a proposed bill to recognize common law marriage failed to provide an age requirement. It was shortly amended a few days later to include an age requirement of 18, but there were still many articles after that change accusing them republican leadership of trying to legalize child marriage of any age. This was shared well after the change. I could find no other mention of TN republicans trying to legalize child marriage other than the common law proposal.

And,for the record, dressing your child up and posing for a political prop and spreading her image around on social media for complete strangers, especially one that intentionally spreads false information, is as much of a groomer as any other example I’ve seen here.

This is why tweets aren't news.  Just buzz words.

The trick is to look into the validity of claims before commenting on them - whether the source is twitter or anywhere else. & it's remarkably easy to do but still so few people do it... they read something and just hit the ground running with their reaction. 

I've been guilty of it myself in the past, but nowadays, rather than openly asking others "Is this true?" and hoping for a response, I'm trying to look into it before forming an opinion, let alone commenting on it. 

It's wild how much information we have at our fingertips, and at the same time how much misinformation is running rampant. 
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,013
    mrussel1 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    The vast majority of those 300k Chile marriages are 17 year olds. Many states allow 17 year olds to marry with parental permission, and I’ve never heard that was a religious vs non-religious view.. While I’d never give permission to my 17 year old, it’s hard for me to argue against it when they are allowed to be sent off to war. I have a 17 year old cousin in boot camp right now.

Ive grown up in the church and still attend. I have many family and friends in that Christian circle. I can’t think of a single personal I personally know who’d be okay with a child marriage beyond what is legal, and most wouldn’t even give permission to their 17 year old either. I have a hard time believing this post is accurate by any stretch.

I read many comments in that link. Seems to be full of misconceptions and false stereotypes. One was this image below. I had no idea what it was taking about. After trying to find out, all I could see was March 2022 a proposed bill to recognize common law marriage failed to provide an age requirement. It was shortly amended a few days later to include an age requirement of 18, but there were still many articles after that change accusing them republican leadership of trying to legalize child marriage of any age. This was shared well after the change. I could find no other mention of TN republicans trying to legalize child marriage other than the common law proposal.

And,for the record, dressing your child up and posing for a political prop and spreading her image around on social media for complete strangers, especially one that intentionally spreads false information, is as much of a groomer as any other example I’ve seen here.

How do you join the army at 17?  I thought you had to be a legal adult, with a high school education. 

To your punchline, I agree using your children as political props is wrong.  I see it on both sides.  I would not go so far as saying it's as bad as the criminal examples that we've shared here.  That's overstated. 
    Screenshot from: https://www.usa.gov/military-requirements#:~:text=Age%20limits&text=Army%3A%2017%20%2D%2035,Navy%3A%2017%20%2D%2039

I’ve always believed you needed parental consent at 17, but it doesn’t mention that here. 

Yes, I should have been more clear. I was referring to the non-criminal examples, like Christmas cards with a gun when I was comparing that picture. Not actually raping a kid.
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    mickeyrat said:

I am curious about the 10yo that was married.  I wonder if they were actually 40 but were born on a leap year, wouldn't that be a lick in the dick?
    I was assuming, so could be wrong, that the 10 year old wasn’t a legally recognized state marriage. But one from a cult living in a compound like David Karesh. No one, outside a crazy cult, supports that.
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,788
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:
    Next time I can’t sleep I’ll look at a few of those green states. I’m curious if some of the exemptions themselves have an age requirement, so the marriage law itself doesn’t. Like maybe a minor can marry if they are emancipated from their parents, and they have to be at least 16 to be emancipated or something. I would just be very surprised if any state allowed a 12 year old to marry under any circumstance.
    Also interesting there seems to be about equal blue and red states without the age requirement, but it’s conservatives and republicans that are being accused of wanting it.
  • Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,824
    edited June 2023
    mace1229 said:
    mickeyrat said:

Next time I can’t sleep I’ll look at a few of those green states. I’m curious if some of the exemptions themselves have an age requirement, so the marriage law itself doesn’t. Like maybe a minor can marry if they are emancipated from their parents, and they have to be at least 16 to be emancipated or something. I would just be very surprised if any state allowed a 12 year old to marry under any circumstance.
    Also interesting there seems to be about equal blue and red states without the age requirement, but it’s conservatives and republicans that are being accused of wanting it.
    I noticed this too and got hammered on a Twitter thread for bringing it up. Now, I suspect that republicans, state-by-state, would be far more against banning child marriage but it doesn't seem like anyone is really making a move, so I cannot prove it.

Seems like this would be a terrific opportunity for the Dems to say "you're so worried about the children, let's change this rule." They'd either be able to do some actual good or at least get some points in the debate.

Edit: But also, don't get too excited about the 33 red "banned" states. Most are not 100% banned. Only the blue ones fit that bill (I thought the number where it was totally banned was eight) so maybe some of the red ones do fit.

Here's a link that is consistent with that graphic ("Minnesota, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, and Delaware are the only states where 18 is the legal age to get married.")  https://www.newsnationnow.com/us-news/child-marriage-is-currently-legal-in-46-states/

Post edited by OnWis97 on
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    and make that the only thing in the bill. no excuses. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,960
    There is Kid who identified as a unicorn at my sister in law's school. 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    and make that the only thing in the bill. no excuses. 
    I agree. But has that ever happened, with any bill, ever?
  • Options
    OnWis97 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mickeyrat said:

I noticed this too and got hammered on a Twitter thread for bringing it up. Now, I suspect that republicans, state-by-state, would be far more against banning child marriage but it doesn't seem like anyone is really making a move, so I cannot prove it.

Seems like this would be a terrific opportunity for the Dems to say "you're so worried about the children, let's change this rule." They'd either be able to do some actual good or at least get some points in the debate.

Edit: But also, don't get too excited about the 33 red "banned" states. Most are not 100% banned. Only the blue ones fit that bill (I thought the number where it was totally banned was eight) so maybe some of the red ones do fit.

Here's a link that is consistent with that graphic ("Minnesota, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, and Delaware are the only states where 18 is the legal age to get married.")  https://www.newsnationnow.com/us-news/child-marriage-is-currently-legal-in-46-states/

At least in California, it was like I predicted. Even though there isn’t a minimum age specified, it’s not like any minor can just go marry someone. It requires parental consent AND court approval. I just don’t see a court approving a 12 year old.

But if that’s what they are worried about, why was TN singled out more for proposing a law that didn’t specify age when states already have that? When I see tweets like the one I shared it just makes me realize for those people it’s more about politics, and not about the kids.
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,631
    mace1229 said:
    OnWis97 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mickeyrat said:

At least in California, it was like I predicted. Even though there isn’t a minimum age specified, it’s not like any minor can just go marry someone. It requires parental consent AND court approval. I just don’t see a court approving a 12 year old.

But if that’s what they are worried about, why was TN singled out more for proposing a law that didn’t specify age when states already have that? When I see tweets like the one I shared it just makes me realize for those people it’s more about politics, and not about the kids.
    There's one thing to have an old law on the books.  It's different to propose and pass news laws.  I think that was the case in TN.
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mace1229 said:
    OnWis97 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mickeyrat said:

There's one thing to have an old law on the books.  It's different to propose and pass news laws.  I think that was the case in TN.
    That was my take, too. It seems like it's always a challenge to remove archaic laws from the books (e.g., laws that say you can only have sex with your married partner) because some group screams about...since they're unenforced, nobody really worries about it.

While these marriage laws are used for bad reasons, I still think it's a lot bigger of a deal to create a brand new one.

That said, because children actually do get married it's important to actually remove the laws. And even if it's extremely unlikely that the court would grant permission for a 12-year old, there are situations in which legit adults marry legit children and not just 18-year-olds marrying 17-year-olds.*

*Even then, we have a hard age of 18 to buy lotto tickets and tobacco. Why the hell not to get married? That's a really big life-altering thing for kids to get into (I'd actually make the age 21, but I know that would be a non-starter).
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    cutzcutz Posts: 11,430
    mace1229 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mickeyrat said:

How do you join the army at 17?  I thought you had to be a legal adult, with a high school education. 

To your punchline, I agree using your children as political props is wrong.  I see it on both sides.  I would not go so far as saying it's as bad as the criminal examples that we've shared here.  That's overstated. 
    Screenshot from: https://www.usa.gov/military-requirements#:~:text=Age%20limits&text=Army%3A%2017%20%2D%2035,Navy%3A%2017%20%2D%2039

I’ve always believed you needed parental consent at 17, but it doesn’t mention that here. 

Yes, I should have been more clear. I was referring to the non-criminal examples, like Christmas cards with a gun when I was comparing that picture. Not actually raping a kid.
    My father joined the Air Force in 1952 at 17 and his Mom also had to sign.
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    mrussel1 said:
    mace1229 said:
    OnWis97 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mickeyrat said:

But that wasn’t really the case.
    The proposed bill was just going to recognize common law marriage. It didn’t put an age requirement, so some people went off the rails claiming republicans want to marry children. Within about 2 weeks the bill was amended to include the age requirement of 18, but the child accusation remarks kept coming.
    I think it was probably poorly worded not to put an age requirement, but I don’t think you really needed to. The age of consent in  TN is 18. How is someone under 18 going to establish they’ve been in a relationship and live with someone and apply for common law marriage. Wouldn’t that be illegal in and of itself? I would think you can’t have common law marriage with someone you’re not legally allowed to have a relationship with to begin with. And the fact they amended it so quickly shows that probably was the intent, and not to marry off kids.

But my point was I find it interesting/ironic/hypocritical that republicans and conservatives get all these accusations, but half the states allowing child marriages are blue states. People accuse one state of being basically pedophiles because they misinterpreted a proposed law while ignoring the states that actually allow it. If you’re going to dress up your child in a wedding gown and post her all over social media and claim republicans in Tennessee want to marry your child, you should probably be upset about the states that actually do allow it too. But they’re not.
    Its an example of it not being about kids, it’s about politics. Texas can cure cancer and some people will hate them for it because it’s TX and their soul says they have to hate everything it does.
    Post edited by mace1229 on
  • Options
    Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,607
    edited June 2023
    If Tejas invented a cure for cancer, they’d make you swear allegiance to Jesus and require you to buy a gun before they’d give it to you. Fuck Tejas.

It would be insightful to know which states actually practice and allow child marriage as opposed to having an archaic law on the books and for what reason or particular demographic is “accepting” of marriage between 17 and under and full adults.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Child_marriage_in_the_United_States
    Post edited by Halifax2TheMax on
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    this thread is creeping me out. too many fucking gross pigs out there. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,020
    mickeyrat said:
    There was a show on TV that had cops pose as teens or even used teens to lure predators and arrest them.  It seemed like entrapment but at the same time, WTF are you talking to a teenager?

Real creepy show.
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    mickeyrat said:

The trick is to look into the validity of claims before commenting on them - whether the source is twitter or anywhere else. & it's remarkably easy to do but still so few people do it... they read something and just hit the ground running with their reaction. 

I've been guilty of it myself in the past, but nowadays, rather than openly asking others "Is this true?" and hoping for a response, I'm trying to look into it before forming an opinion, let alone commenting on it. 

It's wild how much information we have at our fingertips, and at the same time how much misinformation is running rampant. 
    Thank you for explaining how the internet works and fact checking, lol.

Like some topics I really don't want to invest my time in delving down certain rabbit holes.  I googled the 10yo and found stories mentioning that it happened but zero proof.  I don't understand how some of these people get their information...
  • Options
    VitalogensiaVitalogensia Posts: 1,924
    There is Kid who identified as a unicorn at my sister in law's school. 
    Does it have any connection to this?
    Chart for Gender Identity
    Virginia Beach 2000; Pittsburgh 2000; Columbus 2003; D.C. 2003; Pittsburgh 2006; Virginia Beach 2008; Cleveland 2010; PJ20 2011; Pittsburgh 2013; Baltimore 2013; Charlottesville 2013; Charlotte 2013; Lincoln 2014; Moline 2014; St. Paul 2014; Greenville 2016; Hampton 2016; Lexington 2016; Wrigley 2016; Prague 2018; Krakow 2018; Berlin 2018; Fenway 2018; Camden 2022; St. Paul 2023
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    mickeyrat said:
    There was a show on TV that had cops pose as teens or even used teens to lure predators and arrest them.  It seemed like entrapment but at the same time, WTF are you talking to a teenager?

Real creepy show.
    Reminds me of To Catch a Predator.
    I always wondered how that was actually illegal though. Not entrapment, but like this, the sting didn’t involve any actual kids. I just don’t see how it’s illegal to think you’re talking to a 12 year old, but actually is a 20 year old. If the reverse was true, you thought she was 20 but was 14, you’d still be in trouble.
    Not that I felt bad for any of those guys, they deserved it. Just don’t understand how it was illegal, they never committed a sex crime, they just thought they did.
  • Options

• Options
    mickeyrat said:
    I mean, even has a folder titled “sweet pedo stars”? What an idiot. Didn’t even bother with the “Taxes 2019” title.

• Options
    mace1229 said:
    mickeyrat said:

Real creepy show.
    Reminds me of To Catch a Predator.
    I always wondered how that was actually illegal though. Not entrapment, but like this, the sting didn’t involve any actual kids. I just don’t see how it’s illegal to think you’re talking to a 12 year old, but actually is a 20 year old. If the reverse was true, you thought she was 20 but was 14, you’d still be in trouble.
    Not that I felt bad for any of those guys, they deserved it. Just don’t understand how it was illegal, they never committed a sex crime, they just thought they did.
    It may have been that show?

That is the exact definition of "catfishing".  It's deceiving.  

Were the people creeps?  No doubt.  I do believe the perps seeked out the teens, though it took a little convincing from the teens side to encourage the convo to go further and get to a meet up.

It's a world that I do not understand...
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:
    Wow.  So this is why he represented them?
  • Options

• Options

• Options
    So the entire West Virginia State Police force is made up of drag queens and transgendered individuals? Amazing.
  • Options

This discussion has been closed.