Groomers aka sexual predators

Comments

• Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,093
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:
    The notion (as stated by some of you above) that working as pastor, youth group leader, etc. creates access makes sense.  What doesn't make sense is that supposedly Christianity is a faith based at least in part on a sense of morality and yet here you have people committing heinous and highly immoral acts.  It reminds me of Christians who love and support Trump, another example of a confounding disconnect. All I can say is, Jesus would be mightily pissed off.  If you think he lost his cool with the money changers in the temple, imagine how he would feel about these creeps.
    American Christianity is a long way from Jesus's teachings.  
    Not all the churches suck.  I've been to some good ones.

Agreed, for sure.  I don't have anything against people who are religious or church going.  My father was very involved in the Presbyterian Church.  He was a deacon for several year and at one time he became the Moderator of the General Assembly of the U.S. Presbyterian Church.  He did good work and was a faithful and decent man.  So I know there are good people doing good things in various churches.  What I don't understand is why more people of faith have not spoken out against those who would distort and pervert the foundations of their faith. 
    They usually end up leaving rather than start something.  Not everyone can be Martin Luther, lol.
    It's funny but everyone forgets that Luther was an extreme anti-semite.  His book "On the Jews and Their Lies" was influential in the Nuremberg Laws.  
    He missed the part in the old testament where it mentions that the Jews are Gods chosen people.  Whoops.
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,694
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:
    The notion (as stated by some of you above) that working as pastor, youth group leader, etc. creates access makes sense.  What doesn't make sense is that supposedly Christianity is a faith based at least in part on a sense of morality and yet here you have people committing heinous and highly immoral acts.  It reminds me of Christians who love and support Trump, another example of a confounding disconnect. All I can say is, Jesus would be mightily pissed off.  If you think he lost his cool with the money changers in the temple, imagine how he would feel about these creeps.

Agreed, for sure.  I don't have anything against people who are religious or church going.  My father was very involved in the Presbyterian Church.  He was a deacon for several year and at one time he became the Moderator of the General Assembly of the U.S. Presbyterian Church.  He did good work and was a faithful and decent man.  So I know there are good people doing good things in various churches.  What I don't understand is why more people of faith have not spoken out against those who would distort and pervert the foundations of their faith. 
    They usually end up leaving rather than start something.  Not everyone can be Martin Luther, lol.
    It's funny but everyone forgets that Luther was an extreme anti-semite.  His book "On the Jews and Their Lies" was influential in the Nuremberg Laws.  
    He missed the part in the old testament where it mentions that the Jews are Gods chosen people.  Whoops.
    Luther was not quite the Nazi that the Nazis were.  He believed it was heresy to not acknowledge that Jesus was Jewish.  His disdain was for Jews that did not convert to Christianity.  For those that truly converted, he ironically held no prejudice (according to his writings).  But for those that did not convert, he writings were cruel, advocating forfeiture of property, expulsion and even death.  
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,990
    brianlux said:
    They conveniently ignore the things that don't fit their "morality."

I've told the story on here about one of my tax clients who brought his tax info in late and stopped paying his quarterly estimates because he was certain that Jesus was coming back soon. That begs the question "why bring it in at all then?" but we let that go. He made a similar statement last year.

This is the same guy who told me that his church tithes but he considers the social security/medicare tax that he pays personally (he's self employed) as part of that tithe. Does that make any sense? Half of that tax goes directly to his SS account. He considers the other half charity and reduces his church tithe accordingly. How do you belief in god...then not believe that he thinks that strategy is bullshit?

Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,829
    If I didn't know any better (I don't), I'd say this has never been about the kids.

Fox covered Target’s Pride Month displays for hours and the allegations of abuse in the Illinois Catholic Church for less than a minute

https://www.mediamatters.org/fox-news/fox-covered-targets-pride-month-displays-hours-and-allegations-abuse-illinois-catholic
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    brianlux said:

I've told the story on here about one of my tax clients who brought his tax info in late and stopped paying his quarterly estimates because he was certain that Jesus was coming back soon. That begs the question "why bring it in at all then?" but we let that go. He made a similar statement last year.

This is the same guy who told me that his church tithes but he considers the social security/medicare tax that he pays personally (he's self employed) as part of that tithe. Does that make any sense? Half of that tax goes directly to his SS account. He considers the other half charity and reduces his church tithe accordingly. How do you belief in god...then not believe that he thinks that strategy is bullshit?

Haha, that's awesome.  Reminds me of the Seventh Day Adventists.  The original sect sold off their possessions, went to the top of a hill and waited for Rapture.  It didn't come.  So they went home, recalculated, accumulated more stuff, got rid of their possessions and did again.  Spoiler, still no Rapture.  Somehow that sect is still around.  I guess they changed their beliefs.  

• Options
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:

Haha, that's awesome.  Reminds me of the Seventh Day Adventists.  The original sect sold off their possessions, went to the top of a hill and waited for Rapture.  It didn't come.  So they went home, recalculated, accumulated more stuff, got rid of their possessions and did again.  Spoiler, still no Rapture.  Somehow that sect is still around.  I guess they changed their beliefs.  

insane....I am always amazed at the people I see making a household income of $100K/year that give $10K to their church. Fuck put it in a college savings account or family vacation fund.

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    cblock4lifecblock4life Posts: 1,411
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:
    Jesus didn’t pass a collection plate.  All American religions are corrupt in one way or another and some to a lesser degree (there is no degree of sin?) than others.  
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:
    Yes. 
  • Options
    Jews believe he was “special” and Muslims believe him to be a prophet.  Christians believe he is the son of God.  Catholics concentrate on the painful part of Christ's life, as if to continually remind them to repent.  Repent for what?  My point is everyone believes differently, the amazing part is most believe in something, some type of “God”.
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,866
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 12,069
    edited May 2023
    It's all about power and the abuse there if. I agree with clock on religion. And the money plate.They all have some kind of nastiness,abuse of power and fear of telling on the leader because god. Will punish them. Fear 
    Post edited by lastexitlondon on
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:

Luther was not quite the Nazi that the Nazis were.  He believed it was heresy to not acknowledge that Jesus was Jewish.  His disdain was for Jews that did not convert to Christianity.  For those that truly converted, he ironically held no prejudice (according to his writings).  But for those that did not convert, he writings were cruel, advocating forfeiture of property, expulsion and even death.  
    I read that was the whole cause of his readings, people not converting.  Kill the infidels!
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:
    Jesus didn’t pass a collection plate.  All American religions are corrupt in one way or another and some to a lesser degree (there is no degree of sin?) than others.  
    I guess we are doing a religion class now?

Jesus did not but Tithes are very much mentioned throughout the bible.  It goes with the whole Give unto the Lord thing.

Can we add synagogues and Mosques to the corruption list too?
  • Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,838
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:

Jesus did not but Tithes are very much mentioned throughout the bible.  It goes with the whole Give unto the Lord thing.

No. Only Christianity. 
  • Options
    lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 12,069
    I'm sure Islam does it's bit too
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    nicknyr15 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:

No. Only Christianity. 
    Not the Pentecostals though.  Their speaking in tongues has convinced me they have it right. 
  • Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,838
    mrussel1 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:

No. Only Christianity. 
    Not the Pentecostals though.  Their speaking in tongues has convinced me they have it right. 
    Speaking in tongues is my absolute favorite. 
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:

No. Only Christianity. 
    nicknyr15 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:

No. Only Christianity. 
    A priest also speaks in tongues, I had a conversation with some about this.

I had also gone to a pentacostal church and do I have stories...  I enjoyed it but man, coming from a boring catholic upbringing these people were nuts!

They weren't the ones with snakes they just spoke in tongues and ran up and down the aisles like it was gym class.

I should write a short story on that experience.
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:

No. Only Christianity. 
    nicknyr15 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:

No. Only Christianity. 

I had also gone to a pentacostal church and do I have stories...  I enjoyed it but man, coming from a boring catholic upbringing these people were nuts!

They weren't the ones with snakes they just spoke in tongues and ran up and down the aisles like it was gym class.

I'm not saying no priests speak in tongues, but having been raised in a Catholic school and church, I can't say I've ever seen it happen or heard about it.  

Pentecostal stories would be hilarious.  People are nuts. 
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,526
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:

Is this thread about religious corruption, or groomers? 

Christians don't really have a leg to stand on when it comes to the latter. 
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:

That's debatable.
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:

No. Only Christianity. 
    nicknyr15 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:

No. Only Christianity. 

I'm not saying no priests speak in tongues, but having been raised in a Catholic school and church, I can't say I've ever seen it happen or heard about it.  

Pentecostal stories would be hilarious.  People are nuts. 
    Dude, same thing.  Growing up in the stand up, sit down and kneel world of Catholicism when I first went I almost left.  I remember muttering to myself "these muthfukas are crazy!"

I need to write the story about Boogs.  He was also with my first time there.  It's better with visuals but I know I can portray it to words pretty good.
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,866
    a buddy of mine promised his mom he'd go to mass on a saturday afternoon. we were hanging out that day, so he begged me to go with him. having never been in a catholic church before (I was about 17), I started fiddling around with that kneeling thing with my foot, wondering what it was. well, I let it fall and it cranked an old man down the aisle on his shin, and he let out a massive "AAAHHH!", spending the rest of mass massaging his leg and giving me the stink eye. 

that was my last catholic mass until I got married. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:

That's debatable.
    What is? 
  • Options
    a buddy of mine promised his mom he'd go to mass on a saturday afternoon. we were hanging out that day, so he begged me to go with him. having never been in a catholic church before (I was about 17), I started fiddling around with that kneeling thing with my foot, wondering what it was. well, I let it fall and it cranked an old man down the aisle on his shin, and he let out a massive "AAAHHH!", spending the rest of mass massaging his leg and giving me the stink eye. 

That... is awesome.  I can totally see doing it.  I suddenly have flashbacks to me doing the same thing and my dad squeezing the life out of my knee indicating that I better fucking stop right now.  
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:

That's debatable.
    What is? 
    Grooming.  It happens everywhere unfortunately.
  • Options

Every single one of us has done that, lol.

Our pews were old and had a crack in some from bigger people sitting on the edge rather than kneeling.

Well in the summer when you wear shorts and someone bigger than you sits on the edge those cracks open up.  When they shift or move those cracks close.  Sometimes on your exposed skin.

I too have let out an ouch.  That hurts!
  • Options
    I remember being surprised by the kneeling piece when I attended a Catholic funeral. 

I grew up in the United Methodist Church. We only did communion twice a year I believe...Easter and Xmas. 

I used to go to church with my Grandma in Ft Wayne whenever I stayed with them during the summers. She attended a church affiliated with the Church of God. They did communion every week which was an impressive snack for me.

• Options
    I remember being surprised by the kneeling piece when I attended a Catholic funeral. 

I grew up in the United Methodist Church. We only did communion twice a year I believe...Easter and Xmas. 

I used to go to church with my Grandma in Ft Wayne whenever I stayed with them during the summers. She attended a church affiliated with the Church of God. They did communion every week which was an impressive snack for me.
    Dude.. you ate the Body of Christ.  Sicko.  
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:

That's debatable.
    What is? 
    Grooming.  It happens everywhere unfortunately.

It sure does, and in the case of the Catholic church there's been coordinated cover up and enabling of grooming and abuse of children over the course of decades, if not centuries. 

This piqued my curiosity as to whether or not grooming and abuse is more prevalent in some religions as opposed to others... . I don't have the answer to that question, nor do I have time to dive in today, but with that being said:

There's no small amount of hypocrisy coming from the overwhelmingly Christian conservatives in America vilifying LGBTQ groups for grooming of children. Like you said, it happens everywhere. Has it been happening among the drag or trans community to the extent that they should be demonized for it? Not that I'm aware of, (but I'm open to new information). 

Vilifying an already marginalized group for something that happens everywhere suggests this line of attack has nothing to do with children at all, and more about attacking that group and stoking the culture wars. 

I trust that's not lost on you. 

This discussion has been closed.