Options

Important Cancelation Notice for Sacramento and Las Vegas

Comments

• Options
    The_Giant_MidgetThe_Giant_Midget Los Angeles Posts: 539
    hoping Matt/Jeff get healthy soon & the rest of the band stays healthy. bummed they had to cancel which leads me to this, i had a feeling it would've been an epic show - id love to see what their idea for that setlist was going to be!
    Beacon '08
    Philly 2-4 '09
    Newark '10
    MSG 1+2 '10
    E.V. Beacon 1+2 '11
    Made in America Festival '12
    Worcester 1+2 '13
    Brooklyn 1+2 '13
    Global Citizens Festival '15
    MSG 1+2 '16
    Fenway Park 1+2 '16
    Ohana '17
    Home Shows 1+2 '18
    Ohana '18
    Ohana '19
    Sea Hear Now '21
    Ohana '21
    LA 1+2 '22
    Austin 1+2 '23
    Ohana '23
  • Options
    clarwillclarwill SE Idaho Posts: 3
    Still heading to Vegas but....Super Bummed Wolfmoon!

• Options
    JH81185JH81185 Posts: 17
    Zod said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    davidos said:
    I know from first hand experience that the band and crew were in a VERY tight bubble trying to keep Covid away… you could not get anywhere backstage without a Covid test on the spot… this new variant is a sneaky Fu@k.  Until we get to a point where it’s treated like a common cold then this will keep happening… we will all get Covid 2-3x a year because reinfection is a reality. The shots don’t do anything to keep you from getting infected and there is no built up immunity from previous versions.

I wouldn't be surprised if Jeff got it from the crowd. It is airborne, and far from a stretch to assume it drifted up on stage.
    This. I tested positive today after being in the Oakland 2 pit and just found out another person I know who was in there tested positive too. We were in the back but you can't completely stay away from airborne germs inside a packed arena. Totally sucks for the band, the fans, and everyone involved. I'm sure they didn't want to cancel but it's understandable and the risk we were all taking.

I was in the pit for both nights and started getting a sore throat last night.. had tested negative every day until today.  Test came back positive this morning.   I think we had a superspreader in the pit.  Friend of mine got it too... 3rd one didn't though.
    Same exact story/timeline here. Both wife and I. Lower level close to stage

10/28/00 - San Bernardino - PJ
    10/28/03 - SB BOWL - PJ
    7/13/06 - SB BOWL - PJ
    4/10/08 - SB ARLINGTON - EV
    7/9/11 - SB BOWL - EV
    10/31/12 - LAS VEGAS - EV
    11/1/12 - LAS VEGAS - EV
    11/24/13 - LA SPORTS ARENA - PJ
    8/18/18 - WRIGLEY - PJ
    8/20/18 - WRIGLEY - PJ

• Options
    Just got my refund for Vegas. They didn't refund the commemorative ticket though.

• Options
    FR181798FR181798 Posts: 2,166

I'm not surprised in the slightest that band members caught covid. Maybe if it was a solo performer with a manager and a couple of technicians in a bubble travelling by bus then you might get through a tour if you are lucky. PJ have a big crew of people and air travel etc. Travelling through lots of different places. It was unfortunately inevitable. 

In the UK at the moment it's almost as if covid suddenly doesn't exist anymore. Everything seems pretty much back to normal which is quite weird. People are more concerned by the cost of living. Maybe healthcare workers would have a different opinion. Wearing a mask is very much optional here. If I'm in an enclosed space I will still wear a mask or around lots of people but I'm in the minority. People are still catching it, taking a few days off work and that's it.

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,835
    people here are most certainly acting as if covid is done. yet our hospital admissions are at a steady pace. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    people here are most certainly acting as if covid is done. yet our hospital admissions are at a steady pace. 
    Same here in KC. It's baffling.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    whitepantswhitepants Posts: 723
    D-Rod said:
    Just my 2 cents as things currently stand.   

- When the spring tour was announced I went for the first 4 shows knowing they were safest ( least likely to get canceled)
    - I added both Oakland shows but had alternative arrangements for both Thursday and Friday 
    -  I will have the same mindset in the fall,  I'm only planning the 4 Canadian shows.   beyond that your rolling the dice
    -  If your traveling to Europe only to see Pearl Jam your asking for trouble.  It this point make other plans and consider it a bonus if your concerts are performed.

On a side note. What bothers me about this whole situation is why isn't there more discussions about diet and exercise?  That should be recommended before vaccination because its something everyone can do and control.  

notes about the author......he is triple vaxed and is a social smoker ( meaning he smokes other peoples, that cheap bastard) usually when getting drunk as f**k.  

People can’t even wear a mask in the grocery store for 10 minutes, do you actually think they will run for 20 minutes, do sit ups or eat a vegetable? This whole pandemic just shows how selfish some people are and the inability to care about anyone but themselves. Put the mask mandates back for flying, indoor public places and watch the numbers of cases go down. People can’t even do the bare minimum for their communities, it’s embarrassing. Drink water, exercise, stay home when your sick, keep your disgusting snotty kids home when they are sick. Do the bare minimum and shit will get better. Aaah, that felt good. 

~*~Me and Hippiemom dranketh the red wine in Cleveland 2003~*~

First PJ Show: March 20, 1994 | Ann Arbor | Crisler Arena
  • Options
    aisleseatsaisleseats Posts: 1,120
    May be a Twitter screenshot of text that says Middle Age Riot middleageriot When a rabid anti-vaxxer like Eric Clapton has to cancel concerts after catching COVID-19 its not irony or karma its science Sweet hilarious science
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,835
    as much as I can't stand that racist POS, he apparently had real adverse reactions to the vaccines, so I get his issue with it. Just wish he would have realized that is rare, and didn't need to spread fear across the world about it. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,309
    May be a Twitter screenshot of text that says Middle Age Riot middleageriot When a rabid anti-vaxxer like Eric Clapton has to cancel concerts after catching COVID-19 its not irony or karma its science Sweet hilarious science
    Damn irony strikes again. 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    BF25394BF25394 Posts: 3,323
    EA17313 said:
    You're packing arenas and all kinds of people are giving each other covid and you do that every time you have a show. Which is fine! We're building on our immunity. It's basically a cold now and it will be with us for ever. All the restrictions have basically been lifted and we're as protected from it now as we're going to be. So not sure why we need to obsessively keep testing ourselves freaking each other out and littering the planet. The hospitals are not at max capacity. This isn't 2020/21. 

Over 300 Americans died yesterday from COVID.  Colds don't kill 300 Americans a day.
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • Options
    aurelgugusaurelgugus France & Luxembourg Posts: 499
    mfc2006 said:
    Same here in KC. It's baffling.
    Same thing in Europe, COVID is not a thing with Ukraine and Inflation. 
    I’m in the minority with my mask and it looks like it starts to be a stigma, a sign of defiance…
    2012 : Amsterdam 2
    2014 : Amsterdam 1&2, Milan, Berlin, Werchter
    2018 : Amsterdam 1&2, Pinkpop, London 1, Berlin, Werchter, London 2
    2020 : ?
  • Options
    I haven't seen a single person angry at PJ, what are you talking about??
    The multiple comments about how COVID is just a cold/flu, that the band shouldn't even be testing, that Ed/Stone/Mike should've just played an acoustic show, that there wasn't adequate communication, etc.

You couple the Covid risk with the lack of setlist variety, and as someone else said, I think there is going to be a massive dent in the number of traveling PJ fans going forward.

They played 70 different songs across the first six shows, and that's despite not having their regular drummer for the last two of those shows.  How is that a lack of setlist variety?  There were only four songs played at all seven shows: "Even Flow"; "Alive"; "Porch"; and "Quixk Escape."
  • Options
    danlee1095danlee1095 Posts: 990
    Slight silver lining is Aria (MGM property) just refunded my deposit for the first night so now I guess I'm only out the Ubers back and forth from JFK (we found out waiting to board) and the single beer I ordered at the airport.  In hindsight, I really needed that beer!  For others that had to eat first night deposit, might be worth trying to call your hotel.
    9/8/98 (NJ), 9/10/98 (NY), 8/23/00 (NY), 8/24/00 (NY), 8/25/00 (NY), 4/30/03 (NY), 7/8/03 (NY), 7/9/03 (NY), 5/12/06 (NY), 6/1/06 (NJ), 6/3/06 (NJ), 8/5/07 (IL), 6/22/08 (DC), 6/24/08 (NY), 6/25/08 (NY), 7/1/08 (NY), 10/4/09 (TX ), 10/30/09 (PA), 5/20/10 (NY), 5/21/10 (NY), 9/3/11 (WI), 9/4/11 (WI), 7/19/13 (IL), 10/18/13 (NY), 10/19/13 (NY), 10/3/14 (MO), 9/23/15 (NY), 9/26/15 (NY), 5/1/16 (NY), 5/2/16 (NY), 8/5/16 (MA), 8/22/16 (IL), 4/7/17 (NY), 6/18/18 (UK), 8/20/18 (IL), 9/2/18 (MA), 9/4/18 (MA), 9/18/21 (NJ), 9/26/21 (CA), 10/1/21 (CA), 10/2/21 (CA), 9/10/22 (NY), 9/11/22 (NY), 9/14/22 (NJ), 9/16/22 (TN), 9/22/22 (CO), 8/31/23 (MN), 9/2/23 (MN), 9/5/23 (IL), 9/7/23 (IL)
  • Options
    D-Rod said:

On a side note. What bothers me about this whole situation is why isn't there more discussions about diet and exercise?  That should be recommended before vaccination because its something everyone can do and control.  

Not so easy to control if you: a) live in a food desert with little access to fresh, healthy food; b) live paycheck to paycheck and have to subsist on inexpensive food, which is generally less healthy; and c) have job and/or family obligations that limit the time you can spend exercising.

I agree with you that we need a greater emphasis as a society on healthy living, but there are so many structural impediments in place, not to mention the politics of it.  When Michelle Obama adopted exercise and healthy eating as her First Lady pet causes, she was vilified by political opponents for daring to suggest that Americans should do anything short of exercise their God-given freedom to eat whatever they want.  We couldn't even get millions of Americans to wear masks in a public-health emergency, and wearing a mask is easy.  Changing your diet and exercising more is very hard for most people.
  • Options
    Wilco87 said:
    BF25394 said:

70 percent of the U.S. population is overweight or obese.  This is a big reason why 78 percent of COVID deaths are among those who are overweight or obese.  (And, yes, it is overweight AND obese, not just the obese.)  So, sure, living healthier is a good strategy, but that is not something that is going to be accomplished in the short- or medium-term.  (And it's not ever going to happen in a country where inexpensive food is unhealthy food, and many people have little or no access to fresh produce or healthy food because they live in food deserts.)  Meanwhile, people can take reasonable precautions to protect themselves and others.  If they don't, then, yes, "people are going to get this."  But there are things you can do to increase your odds of avoiding it, primarily wearing a mask properly and consistently when in any indoor public setting or when mixing with people from outside of your household.  I have practiced this religiously, and I am living my life.  I just saw Pearl Jam seven times, fully masked at all times.  I saw Wilco four times last fall.  I saw Jeff Tweedy five times this spring.  Etc.  I haven't gotten it.  Maybe it will catch up to me eventually but, as long as transmission is high-- and it is where I live-- I'll continue to take these reasonable precautions that are a minor inconvenience to me.

EDIT: Some people have remarked about politics.  I just want to be clear: I am not coming at this from a political point of view.  As a great man has said many times: "I ain't no Democrat/Sure as fuck ain't no Republican either."
    As you may guess from my moniker we are likely kindred spirits. I was supposed to see Wilco in Vegas (2020) but that was shelved to last fall. Couldn't make it to the make-up date. Was also supposed to see PJ in Vegas tomorrow. I guess it's just not in the cards for me in Vegas.

Pun intended.

Next big show on the horizon is Wilco in Cedar Rapids. It will be #41 for me. 56 overall for seeing Tweedy in some form. As of now, my 2022 highlight was seeing Golden Smog (with Tweedy for the first time in over a decade) for 2 shows in Minneapolis.
    Nice!  My next show is Solid Sound next weekend.  I'm traveling cross-country for that, so I'm getting a little nervous about show cancellations in the wake of this week's events.  According to Jeff's latest Chit-Chat Check-In, he's been living a hermetic existence, so maybe we'll get lucky.

My Wilco/Tweedy numbers are similar to yours.  I have the benefit of living in L.A. so I've racked up a lot of Tweedy shows at Largo.  My first Wilco show was June 1995 at Tramps in NYC.  It was me and a bunch of Uncle Tupelo fans.  In the early years (pre-Yankee Hotel Foxtrot), I saw them in a lot of weird venues (an opera house in Maine, a college spring weekend show with Black Star opening) where I didn't exactly have to fight or get there early to be right up front.  I'm jealous that you got to see the Golden Smog reunion shows.  I saw them in 1998 but it was sans Tweedy.  Still awesome.  Those Golden Smog albums are fantastic.  I actually think I might like the Tweedy Golden Smog songs less than the Jayhawks-led songs.

I was in line for GA for Wilco at the Wiltern in L.A. in 2012 when I saw a guy a few people in front of me in line who looked really familiar.  He looked at me like he recognized me, too.  We got to talking, and it turns out we recognized each other from having been at PJ20 a few months earlier.  We became friends, and we've seen Pearl Jam and Wilco together dozens of times since then.
  • Options
    clarwill said:

Took the show away too soon...
  • Options
    release00release00 Posts: 342
    BF25394 said:
    clarwill said:

Took the show away too soon...
    A+
    "So much it dont show"
  • Options
    Wilco87Wilco87 Posts: 33
    BF25394 said:
    Wilco87 said:
    BF25394 said:

70 percent of the U.S. population is overweight or obese.  This is a big reason why 78 percent of COVID deaths are among those who are overweight or obese.  (And, yes, it is overweight AND obese, not just the obese.)  So, sure, living healthier is a good strategy, but that is not something that is going to be accomplished in the short- or medium-term.  (And it's not ever going to happen in a country where inexpensive food is unhealthy food, and many people have little or no access to fresh produce or healthy food because they live in food deserts.)  Meanwhile, people can take reasonable precautions to protect themselves and others.  If they don't, then, yes, "people are going to get this."  But there are things you can do to increase your odds of avoiding it, primarily wearing a mask properly and consistently when in any indoor public setting or when mixing with people from outside of your household.  I have practiced this religiously, and I am living my life.  I just saw Pearl Jam seven times, fully masked at all times.  I saw Wilco four times last fall.  I saw Jeff Tweedy five times this spring.  Etc.  I haven't gotten it.  Maybe it will catch up to me eventually but, as long as transmission is high-- and it is where I live-- I'll continue to take these reasonable precautions that are a minor inconvenience to me.

EDIT: Some people have remarked about politics.  I just want to be clear: I am not coming at this from a political point of view.  As a great man has said many times: "I ain't no Democrat/Sure as fuck ain't no Republican either."
    As you may guess from my moniker we are likely kindred spirits. I was supposed to see Wilco in Vegas (2020) but that was shelved to last fall. Couldn't make it to the make-up date. Was also supposed to see PJ in Vegas tomorrow. I guess it's just not in the cards for me in Vegas.

Pun intended.

Next big show on the horizon is Wilco in Cedar Rapids. It will be #41 for me. 56 overall for seeing Tweedy in some form. As of now, my 2022 highlight was seeing Golden Smog (with Tweedy for the first time in over a decade) for 2 shows in Minneapolis.
    Nice!  My next show is Solid Sound next weekend.  I'm traveling cross-country for that, so I'm getting a little nervous about show cancellations in the wake of this week's events.  According to Jeff's latest Chit-Chat Check-In, he's been living a hermetic existence, so maybe we'll get lucky.

My Wilco/Tweedy numbers are similar to yours.  I have the benefit of living in L.A. so I've racked up a lot of Tweedy shows at Largo.  My first Wilco show was June 1995 at Tramps in NYC.  It was me and a bunch of Uncle Tupelo fans.  In the early years (pre-Yankee Hotel Foxtrot), I saw them in a lot of weird venues (an opera house in Maine, a college spring weekend show with Black Star opening) where I didn't exactly have to fight or get there early to be right up front.  I'm jealous that you got to see the Golden Smog reunion shows.  I saw them in 1998 but it was sans Tweedy.  Still awesome.  Those Golden Smog albums are fantastic.  I actually think I might like the Tweedy Golden Smog songs less than the Jayhawks-led songs.

I was in line for GA for Wilco at the Wiltern in L.A. in 2012 when I saw a guy a few people in front of me in line who looked really familiar.  He looked at me like he recognized me, too.  We got to talking, and it turns out we recognized each other from having been at PJ20 a few months earlier.  We became friends, and we've seen Pearl Jam and Wilco together dozens of times since then.
    Cool stories, especially building a friendship over both bands. I have never really associated much of a cross over between the fanbases but there is some. Both are fiercely loyal. I got well over a dozen acknowledgements when I wore a Wilco shirt to Ohana last fall.

Have fun a Solid Sound, been a bucket list item for me, but already have plans for a family reunion on the Cape shortly after so just didn't make sense to make the trek twice. At least those are outside, so hopefully that will work to your and everyone's favor.

While I was an Uncle Tupelo fan and liked AM well enough, it wasn't until Smog's Down by the Old Mainstream followed up Wilco's Being There (and tours for both) that I got fully on board the Tweedy ride. Been a lot of fun.
  • Options
    PJammin'PJammin' Posts: 1,743
    edited May 2022
    D-Rod said:

- When the spring tour was announced I went for the first 4 shows knowing they were safest ( least likely to get canceled)
    - I added both Oakland shows but had alternative arrangements for both Thursday and Friday 
    -  I will have the same mindset in the fall,  I'm only planning the 4 Canadian shows.   beyond that your rolling the dice
    -  If your traveling to Europe only to see Pearl Jam your asking for trouble.  It this point make other plans and consider it a bonus if your concerts are performed.

notes about the author......he is triple vaxed and is a social smoker ( meaning he smokes other peoples, that cheap bastard) usually when getting drunk as f**k.  

People can’t even wear a mask in the grocery store for 10 minutes, do you actually think they will run for 20 minutes, do sit ups or eat a vegetable? This whole pandemic just shows how selfish some people are and the inability to care about anyone but themselves. Put the mask mandates back for flying, indoor public places and watch the numbers of cases go down. People can’t even do the bare minimum for their communities, it’s embarrassing. Drink water, exercise, stay home when your sick, keep your disgusting snotty kids home when they are sick. Do the bare minimum and shit will get better. Aaah, that felt good. 
    I did that for two years and was Gucci. I go to two PJ shows and I come down with Covid bcuz idiots who are sick went to the shows. 

Just goes to show there are a lot of idiotic selfish PJ fans. 
    Post edited by PJammin' on
    I died. I died and you just stood there. I died and you watched. I died and you walked by and said no. I'm dead.
  • Options
    The NorthThe North Posts: 95

This in not irony, by definition..... he is not vaxxed and got covid. What is ironic is all the people who are vaxxed and still get covid.
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,238
    The North said:

This in not irony, by definition..... he is not vaxxed and got covid. What is ironic is all the people who are vaxxed and still get covid.
    He is vaxxed. Had 2 shots and bad reactions both times.
    It's like raaaaaaaiiiiinnnn on your wedding day.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    PJammin' said:
    D-Rod said:

I did that for two years and was Gucci. I go to two PJ shows and I come down with Covid bcuz idiots who are sick went to the shows. 

Just goes to show there are a lot of idiotic selfish PJ fans. 

Same here, except I did not go to a show.  Two plus years and one simple soccer carpool got all four of us.  It is the combination of the relaxed rules and a more contagious variant that is resulting in more infections.  And I would not call the fans idiots, because you are most contagious before the symptoms really kick in. Also, there are bad colds and flu going around so people do not necessarily believe they have COVID.  That said, I am sure there were fans in attendance that knew they were sick (or tested positive and did not quarantine) and went to the shows.
  • Options
    SpartanacusSpartanacus Oviedo, FL Posts: 822
    EA17313 said:
    You're packing arenas and all kinds of people are giving each other covid and you do that every time you have a show. Which is fine! We're building on our immunity. It's basically a cold now and it will be with us for ever. All the restrictions have basically been lifted and we're as protected from it now as we're going to be. So not sure why we need to obsessively keep testing ourselves freaking each other out and littering the planet. The hospitals are not at max capacity. This isn't 2020/21. 

Well said.
    19 Pearl Jam shows and still searching for Deep!
    1998 (2) - East Lansing & Auburn Hills; 2000 (2) - Tampa & Noblesville; 2003 (2) - Lexington & Noblesville; 2006 (1) - Cincinnati; 2007 (1) - Chicago (Lollapalooza); 2008 (Ed in Milwaukee); 2009 (1) - Chicago; 2010 (1) - Noblesville; 2013 (3) - San Diego & Los Angeles I & II; 2016 (Temple of the Dog in Los Angeles); 2017 (Ed at Ohana in Dana Point);
    2021 (3) - Dana Point I, II & III; 2022 (3) - San Diego & Los Angeles I & II; 2025 - Southern U.S. Tour Please!
  • Options
    childofthemoonchildofthemoon Detroit Posts: 60
    My sympathies to everyone who lost money on hotels, flights, etc. 

I had a friend working on Stones crew last fall and he couldn’t even go up to see his wife in a suite attending the show in Los Angeles. I also spoke with Lucas Jagger in the pit at the Detroit show and he wasn’t allowed to go backstage and see his Dad. Literally nobody was allowed into the bubble who wasn’t in the touring party. It’s really a miracle they were able to pull off the tour with no cancellations. 

• Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,238

I had a friend working on Stones crew last fall and he couldn’t even go up to see his wife in a suite attending the show in Los Angeles. I also spoke with Lucas Jagger in the pit at the Detroit show and he wasn’t allowed to go backstage and see his Dad. Literally nobody was allowed into the bubble who wasn’t in the touring party. It’s really a miracle they were able to pull off the tour with no cancellations. 

Yet Mick was posting Instagram selfies from public places in just about every tour stop.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    THEBIBLEISTENTHEBIBLEISTEN Posts: 1,679
    Poncier said:

Yet Mick was posting Instagram selfies from public places in just about every tour stop.
    You have to remember there is a new variant out now and cases are increasing. 
  • Options
    elvistheking44elvistheking44 Posts: 4,241
    Poncier said:

You have to remember there is a new variant out now and cases are increasing. 
    Not the first or last time this will happen. New variant, cases rise, cases fall…..rinse and repeat. It will be this way forever now. Protect yourself. Live your life and stop judging others….
  • Options
    mshnaydermshnayder Posts: 81
    teskeinc said:
    Boggles my mind that with all the precautions they were taking that Matt and Jeff still got it. Even their crew was masked up and I’m sure they were tested multiple times. Couldn’t even make it 2 weeks? Ed and Earthlings either? 

Multiple bands are touring extensively and/or residencies here in Vegas and you rarely here of any shows canceled? Ed/PJ go 2 for 2. Unreal.

Not rescheduling is a kick in the nuts. Just flat out canceling and refunding tix punishes the fans. Some losing thousands. Shit happens but this isn’t cool.

You're a lunatic.