Options

Important Cancelation Notice for Sacramento and Las Vegas

Comments

• Options
    CopperTomCopperTom Posts: 2,990
    I arrived in Vegas yesterday, however, I am still pissed off that there is still no email communication to ticket holders.  
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,209
    PJ_Soul said:
    davidos said:
    I know from first hand experience that the band and crew were in a VERY tight bubble trying to keep Covid away… you could not get anywhere backstage without a Covid test on the spot… this new variant is a sneaky Fu@k.  Until we get to a point where it’s treated like a common cold then this will keep happening… we will all get Covid 2-3x a year because reinfection is a reality. The shots don’t do anything to keep you from getting infected and there is no built up immunity from previous versions.

I wouldn't be surprised if Jeff got it from the crowd. It is airborne, and far from a stretch to assume it drifted up on stage.
    This. I tested positive today after being in the Oakland 2 pit and just found out another person I know who was in there tested positive too. We were in the back but you can't completely stay away from airborne germs inside a packed arena. Totally sucks for the band, the fans, and everyone involved. I'm sure they didn't want to cancel but it's understandable and the risk we were all taking.

I was in the pit for both nights and started getting a sore throat last night.. had tested negative every day until today.  Test came back positive this morning.   I think we had a superspreader in the pit.  Friend of mine got it too... 3rd one didn't though.
  • Options
    SpartanacusSpartanacus Oviedo, FL Posts: 822
    Does anyone know if Matt had symptoms, and if so, how bad?  It has been at least 6 days since Oakland 1, with many going back to their business after 5 days off.  Curious how he's feeling, and how Jeff is feeling too.  I want them to be well of course, but please don't tell me they were both asymptomatic or had very minor symptoms and they canceled shows because of a couple positive tests and a little fatigue.

Listen folks...this is not going away...EVER.  So bands on tour are either going to have to stop testing and if they FEEL sick, then decide if they can play or if they can't play...or else this kind of thing will keep happening until the end of time. 

And if this remains the status quo, then buying tickets that require a hotel room (let alone a long drive or a flight) is simply risking too much, and people aren't going to do it ever again.
    19 Pearl Jam shows and still searching for Deep!
    1998 (2) - East Lansing & Auburn Hills; 2000 (2) - Tampa & Noblesville; 2003 (2) - Lexington & Noblesville; 2006 (1) - Cincinnati; 2007 (1) - Chicago (Lollapalooza); 2008 (Ed in Milwaukee); 2009 (1) - Chicago; 2010 (1) - Noblesville; 2013 (3) - San Diego & Los Angeles I & II; 2016 (Temple of the Dog in Los Angeles); 2017 (Ed at Ohana in Dana Point);
    2021 (3) - Dana Point I, II & III; 2022 (3) - San Diego & Los Angeles I & II; 2025 - Southern U.S. Tour Please!
  • Options
    droptheleash9droptheleash9 Posts: 1,341
    It will be interesting to see where "we" go from here. If fewer songs/shorter setlists are the new norm and you couple that with the ever-present risk of covid (this shit ain't going away), it's hard to see large portions of this fan base committing to traveling to see this band consistently like they do now. With other bands that have large followings like Phish, Dave Matthews Band, Foo Fighters, etc... it's easy to see them in your hometown because they tour relentlessly and have large numbers of dates on their schedule. If one of those artists are your favorite band, you don't have to span the earth to be able to attend their concerts.

Pearl Jam is a different story considering how small their tours are relative to most artists. You add shorter and less diverse sets together with the ever-present risk of Covid (I think this band takes it much more seriously than most) and you get a perfect recipe for what was once a traveling fan base electing to stay home. Big markets like the east coast will always sell out but it might be harder for them to fill shows arenas/amphitheaters, and stadiums in other parts of the country than they previously thought.

I don't mean to be doom and gloom here - maybe that's just me being butthurt about having the carpet pulled out from underneath me minutes before I was supposed to board a flight for the Vegas show.

PS: Hours after the initial post on social media, I finally got an email about the cancellation.
  • Options
    THEBIBLEISTENTHEBIBLEISTEN Posts: 1,679
    Does anyone know if Matt had symptoms, and if so, how bad?  It has been at least 6 days since Oakland 1, with many going back to their business after 5 days off.  Curious how he's feeling, and how Jeff is feeling too.  I want them to be well of course, but please don't tell me they were both asymptomatic or had very minor symptoms and they canceled shows because of a couple positive tests and a little fatigue.

Listen folks...this is not going away...EVER.  So bands on tour are either going to have to stop testing and if they FEEL sick, then decide if they can play or if they can't play...or else this kind of thing will keep happening until the end of time. 

And if this remains the status quo, then buying tickets that require a hotel room (let alone a long drive or a flight) is simply risking too much, and people aren't going to do it ever again.
    Clueless
  • Options
    CO278952CO278952 Orlando, FL Posts: 1,233
    More depressing than the show cancellations is all the Covid talk now taking over the boards again. Looking forward to the Fall leg!  Get well soon fellas!
    4.17.94 Paramount 9.28.96 Randall's Island 8.25.00 Jones Beach 4.28.03 Spectrum 7.5.03 Camden 7.6.03 Camden
    07.08.03 MSG 07.09.03 MSG 7.12.03 Hershey 7.14.03 Holmdel 6.12.08 Tampa 10.19.13 Brooklyn 4.11.16 Tampa
    5.1.16 MSG 5.2.16 MSG 8.7.16 Fenway 9.2.18 Fenway 9.4.18 Fenway 9.11.22 MSG 9.16.22 Nashville 9.18.23 Austin 9.19.23 Austin
  • Options
    edited May 2022

Clueless
    That's your opinion, which you are more than entitled to. I think he/she/they makes a fair point about the fan base being less likely to travel far and wide to see shows in the covid era. Let me ask you this: would you risk flying to see the band play a show in Australia knowing you could be out $1,500 just on flights alone if the show got cancelled for an asymptomatic case (and don't get me wrong, I'm not trivializing covid by any stretch....everyone should take it seriously)? To call that line of questioning clueless is disingenuous but we can agree to disagree. Not everyone is lucky enough to have PJ shows taking place down the road.
  • Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,799
    CO278952 said:
    More depressing than the show cancellations is all the Covid talk now taking over the boards again. Looking forward to the Fall leg!  Get well soon fellas!

Agreed. This thread is a tough read from both sides of the covid experts.

• Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,208

Clueless
    That's your opinion, which you are more than entitled to. I think he/she/they makes a fair point about the fan base being less likely to travel far and wide to see shows in the covid era. Let me ask you this: would you risk flying to see the band play a show in Australia knowing you could be out $1,500 just on flights alone if the show got cancelled for an asymptomatic case (and don't get me wrong, I'm not trivializing covid by any stretch....everyone should take it seriously)? To call that line of questioning clueless is disingenuous but we can agree to disagree. Not everyone is lucky enough to have PJ shows taking place down the road.
    I've already had Nashville cancelled once.  Now I am concerned about it a 2nd time.  Yea I agree I'd be very wary of traveling again to see this band if this is the new normal. 
  • Options
    wwsuicidewwsuicide Posts: 1,307
    Not gunna lie….this one stings a bit. 
  • Options
    pjhawks said:

Clueless
    I've already had Nashville cancelled once.  Now I am concerned about it a 2nd time.  Yea I agree I'd be very wary of traveling again to see this band if this is the new normal. 
    At a minimum, I will be booking refundable travel from here on out. Saved me thousands for Vegas.
  • Options
    CarryTheZeroCarryTheZero Posts: 2,146
    Yeah, was going to fly to Nashville and St. Louis, but now I’m thinking about driving from Atlanta with my son. Air BNB can be fully refunded and I won’t have to worry about canceling flights. Going to be a haul on the way home, but might be the best bet.
  • Options
    CopperTomCopperTom Posts: 2,990
    I'm an east coaster and have traveled far and wide.  For next year or so, I'll be avoiding long flights to see the band.
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,309
    When ever in crowded indoor gatherings wear a mask! 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    ddeschlerddeschler Posts: 634
    matt84 said:
    On a purely selfish note as someone who is seeing them in Europe - it’s good that Matt and Jeff got it before the European leg.
    Really making me nervous for Europe.  Wish my shows were at the front of the line, rather than at the end.
    I've seen quite a few Pearl Jam shows.
  • Options
    Mr. FixerMr. Fixer Posts: 586
    Unfortunately, I could not attend Vegas and sold my tickets on Fan to Fan.  I have yet to get paid by Ticketmaster for the sale. Will both I AND the buyer be refunded via our original purchase methods? Anybody have experience with this? Kind of a weird situation.  Thanks and stay well!
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,544
    I don’t know the policy but I am guessing even if asymptomatic you can’t play,  To me, if asymptomatic you still play (assuming Jeff is comfortable with that).  You can mask up and socially distance pretty easily I would imagine.  No mask needed on stage.  

Bummer.  Was excited for Vegas.
  • Options
    ddeschlerddeschler Posts: 634
    I saw a few people wearing masks in LA and PHX.  Definitely outliers.  Alas, there was also the drunk, hairy gentleman behind me in PHX, who shouted as loud as he could Ed should "take his liberal ass back to Seattle." 
    I've seen quite a few Pearl Jam shows.
  • Options
    OfThePearlOfThePearl Posts: 637
    BF25394 said:
    I was sitting at the airport gate in Burbank 20 minutes from boarding my flight when a friend and fellow Ten Club member called and said, "Don't get on the plane."  I drove from L.A. to Phoenix, from L.A. to Oakland and from L.A. to Fresno, and was fully prepared for the possibility that I might be five hours into a drive to Phoenix or Oakland when word came down that a show was canceled.  In spite of that, I thought we were in the clear, Matt's absence notwithstanding.  I guess I'm glad I wasn't driving to Sacramento, because I would have been about four hours up the road by the time I got word.

I'm disappointed, but these are the times we're living in.  I have avoided getting into this subject on this board, but I want to say that, despite what many posters are saying, there are things that we can all do to help to avoid situations like this.  We can't guarantee anything, but we can do our part.  Get vaccinated.  It doesn't prevent spread, but it reduces spread.  Lower-grade cases will shed less virus and be less contagious.  Wear a mask in indoor public spaces.  Wear it over your nose and mouth.  I just attended seven Pearl Jam shows in 14 days.  I was fully masked at all times in the arenas, including two shows in the pit.  It did not diminish my enjoyment.  I sang along with the same passion as I did in the days when I wasn't wearing a mask.  I have heard of many people around me who have tested positive.  I have not.

Vaccination does not protect 100 percent against infection.  Masks don't protect 100 percent against infection.  Condoms don't protect 100 percent against pregnancy or disease.  But no reasonable person decides, in a high-risk sexual situation, not to wear a condom because it doesn't guarantee protection against pregnancy or disease.  An indoor concert with thousands of people singing along at the top of their lungs is a high-risk situation for the spread of COVID.  Take reasonable precautions.  But, honestly, take reasonable precautions any time you're in an enclosed space with people you don't live with.

I want to add one other thing: if you don't want to wear a mask, don't wear a mask.  I think you should wear a mask, but I constantly see people with masks draped around their necks, or covering only their mouth but not their nose.  You might as well not wear the damned thing.  It's not even like they're wearing it because of mandates.  There are no mandates being enforced anymore, not even on airplanes, so either wear a mask properly or don't wear one at all.  I know there are people out there who got COVID and then said, "See, I told you masks don't work," but they were not wearing the masks properly or consistently.  Anyway, I'll get off the soapbox...
    I agree with every single thing you've said. Rational sane points. Nothing works 100% in preventing covid. Nothing. But many simple precautions help reduce transmission tremendously. I was one of the few you saw wearing a mask at all 7 shows, one in the pit, singing my heart out as enthusiastically as ever.

Luckily I got the announcement before I boarded my plane for Sac also.

I just wonder if the audience had been more conscientious and protected the band better, if we might have been able to get through all 9 shows. Tonight being 5 years since Chris's passing, was sure to have some special moments. Vegas being the "grand finale" had the air of likely being a big celebration...oh well.

I'm so glad to have gotten what we did, though!
  • Options
    lastexit78lastexit78 Posts: 615
    CO278952 said:
    I agree, this board is going to experience another Covid surge. Main reason why I left early last year. Oh well it was fun talking shows and reconnecting for the few weeks it lasted. There’s no real answers for the band, nobody to blame. Having experienced Covid last week I know it sucks but all the doom and gloom talk is honestly worse. Like many I’m done traveling to shows with the level of uncertainty. So unless the band is coming back to Nor Cal I may be in for an extended show drought. Hoping for a Bridge School return so maybe we can all reconnect then. Take care all!
    06/22/95, 11/04/95, 11/15/97, 07/16/98, 10/30/99, 10/30/00, 10/31/00, 10/20/01, 10/21/01, 12/08/02, 06/01/03, 06/06/03, 10/25/03, 10/26/03, 09/28/04, 03/18/05, 09/01/05, 07/15/06, 07/16/06, 07/18/06, 07/22/06, 07/23/06, 10/21/06, 10/22/06, 08/28/09, 09/21/09, 09/22/09, 05/20/10, 05/21/10, 10/24/10, 11/26/13, 12/06/13, 06/28/14, 10/26/14, 07/10/18, 08/10/18, 10/02/21, 
  • Options
    nmueller83nmueller83 Posts: 3
    Yeah shots don't do anything except minimize the illness I got it after Phoenix and I've had every shot I'm allowed to get and still got it and symptomatic 
    Hey, same!
  • Options
    Robyn BRobyn B Posts: 22
    So heartbroken but trying to put everything in perspective given what’s happening in the world. Was supposed to see Ed and the Earthlings in Inglewood and it got postponed bc of Covid and couldn’t make the rescheduled show (we live in Santa Fe, New Mexico —moved here after 15 years in NYC right before Covid so looking forward to seeing the guys helped me get through all the lockdowns) Was sad to not make it to Inglewood but was okay cause I knew I had the 2020 rescheduled tour to look forward to. Had floor tickets to Vegas, got someone to stay with our two kids, booked flights, hotel room and canceled it all when I got the news this afternoon. I really respect the guys for being careful about Covid especially since they all have their families to think about. But of course sad that I won’t see them.💔 I was so close!!! Will try and get Denver tickets now that Vegas isn’t happening. If anyone has has Denver GA that they can’t use PLEASE let me know🙏
  • Options
    danlee1095danlee1095 Posts: 990
    DEGBTI said:
    MGM Park just gave me full refund even though it was too late per policy. So mention the cancellation to your hotels if not there yet. They already knew about it and were cool.
    That’s amazing - did you have to plead?  I had to eat first night but thinking I’ll call back and ask.
    9/8/98 (NJ), 9/10/98 (NY), 8/23/00 (NY), 8/24/00 (NY), 8/25/00 (NY), 4/30/03 (NY), 7/8/03 (NY), 7/9/03 (NY), 5/12/06 (NY), 6/1/06 (NJ), 6/3/06 (NJ), 8/5/07 (IL), 6/22/08 (DC), 6/24/08 (NY), 6/25/08 (NY), 7/1/08 (NY), 10/4/09 (TX ), 10/30/09 (PA), 5/20/10 (NY), 5/21/10 (NY), 9/3/11 (WI), 9/4/11 (WI), 7/19/13 (IL), 10/18/13 (NY), 10/19/13 (NY), 10/3/14 (MO), 9/23/15 (NY), 9/26/15 (NY), 5/1/16 (NY), 5/2/16 (NY), 8/5/16 (MA), 8/22/16 (IL), 4/7/17 (NY), 6/18/18 (UK), 8/20/18 (IL), 9/2/18 (MA), 9/4/18 (MA), 9/18/21 (NJ), 9/26/21 (CA), 10/1/21 (CA), 10/2/21 (CA), 9/10/22 (NY), 9/11/22 (NY), 9/14/22 (NJ), 9/16/22 (TN), 9/22/22 (CO), 8/31/23 (MN), 9/2/23 (MN), 9/5/23 (IL), 9/7/23 (IL)
  • Options
    GregzonitGregzonit Posts: 1
    Definitely disapointed along with everyone out there...  flying from florida to a PJ concert!  Anticipating a kick-ass Vegas show,  as a craps player envisioning "Gods Dice" on the setlist as a good luck omen.  Fuck... roll them again...
  • Options
    danlee1095danlee1095 Posts: 990
    My wife and I got the news while waiting to board from JFK on the 550 flight.  Thought about making the trip anyway but decided to save the babysitting credits and not miss a bunch of stuff for my kids at home (ironically including their year end chorus concerts - they refused to play PJ…)  Totally devastated but I’m holding 5 shows for Sept and now may add a 6th!  Hang in there guys and goes without saying, get well soon Jeff / Matt.
    9/8/98 (NJ), 9/10/98 (NY), 8/23/00 (NY), 8/24/00 (NY), 8/25/00 (NY), 4/30/03 (NY), 7/8/03 (NY), 7/9/03 (NY), 5/12/06 (NY), 6/1/06 (NJ), 6/3/06 (NJ), 8/5/07 (IL), 6/22/08 (DC), 6/24/08 (NY), 6/25/08 (NY), 7/1/08 (NY), 10/4/09 (TX ), 10/30/09 (PA), 5/20/10 (NY), 5/21/10 (NY), 9/3/11 (WI), 9/4/11 (WI), 7/19/13 (IL), 10/18/13 (NY), 10/19/13 (NY), 10/3/14 (MO), 9/23/15 (NY), 9/26/15 (NY), 5/1/16 (NY), 5/2/16 (NY), 8/5/16 (MA), 8/22/16 (IL), 4/7/17 (NY), 6/18/18 (UK), 8/20/18 (IL), 9/2/18 (MA), 9/4/18 (MA), 9/18/21 (NJ), 9/26/21 (CA), 10/1/21 (CA), 10/2/21 (CA), 9/10/22 (NY), 9/11/22 (NY), 9/14/22 (NJ), 9/16/22 (TN), 9/22/22 (CO), 8/31/23 (MN), 9/2/23 (MN), 9/5/23 (IL), 9/7/23 (IL)
  • Options
    opsopcopolisopsopcopolis Posts: 1,096
    Robyn B said:
    So heartbroken but trying to put everything in perspective given what’s happening in the world. Was supposed to see Ed and the Earthlings in Inglewood and it got postponed bc of Covid and couldn’t make the rescheduled show (we live in Santa Fe, New Mexico —moved here after 15 years in NYC right before Covid so looking forward to seeing the guys helped me get through all the lockdowns) Was sad to not make it to Inglewood but was okay cause I knew I had the 2020 rescheduled tour to look forward to. Had floor tickets to Vegas, got someone to stay with our two kids, booked flights, hotel room and canceled it all when I got the news this afternoon. I really respect the guys for being careful about Covid especially since they all have their families to think about. But of course sad that I won’t see them.💔 I was so close!!! Will try and get Denver tickets now that Vegas isn’t happening. If anyone has has Denver GA that they can’t use PLEASE let me know🙏
    I missed the LA Earthlings show because of the cancellation as well. Made it to SD a few weeks ago but I’m now 1/4 for PJ related shows this year…
    2006: Hartford
    2008: Camden 2, Hartford
    2010: Hartford
    2013: Wrigley, Worcester x2, Hartford
    2015: NYC
    2016: Philly 2, MSG x2, Boston 2, (TOTD Philly 2, MSG)
    2018: Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Boston x2
    2022: San Diego, Sacramento, Las Vegas
  • Options
    PJNB said:
    CO278952 said:

Agreed. This thread is a tough read from both sides of the covid experts.

+1000
  • Options
    walkunafraidwalkunafraid Posts: 2,557
    edited May 2022
    Post edited by walkunafraid on
    Everything has chains...Absolutely nothing's changed. - PJ

“The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.” - Albert Camus
  • Options
    OfThePearlOfThePearl Posts: 637
    I haven't seen a single person angry at PJ, what are you talking about??
  • Options
    apkirklandapkirkland Big Sky Country Posts: 196
    edited May 2022
    Zod said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    davidos said:
    I know from first hand experience that the band and crew were in a VERY tight bubble trying to keep Covid away… you could not get anywhere backstage without a Covid test on the spot… this new variant is a sneaky Fu@k.  Until we get to a point where it’s treated like a common cold then this will keep happening… we will all get Covid 2-3x a year because reinfection is a reality. The shots don’t do anything to keep you from getting infected and there is no built up immunity from previous versions.

I wouldn't be surprised if Jeff got it from the crowd. It is airborne, and far from a stretch to assume it drifted up on stage.
    This. I tested positive today after being in the Oakland 2 pit and just found out another person I know who was in there tested positive too. We were in the back but you can't completely stay away from airborne germs inside a packed arena. Totally sucks for the band, the fans, and everyone involved. I'm sure they didn't want to cancel but it's understandable and the risk we were all taking.

I was in the pit for both nights and started getting a sore throat last night.. had tested negative every day until today.  Test came back positive this morning.   I think we had a superspreader in the pit.  Friend of mine got it too... 3rd one didn't though.
    I tested negative two days and positive today. It felt like I had mild allergies so I was testing just to be sure it wasn't Covid. Turns out it was. So far my husband (who was also there) doesn't have it. Wonder how many in the pit got it and if it made its way all the way up to Jeff.
    Post edited by apkirkland on