2018  August-20         Wrigley 2
    2018  September-4     Boston 2
    2022  May-18              Sacramento...fuck covid
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,565
    pjhawks said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    pjhawks said:
    This sucks for all the people holding tickets to those shows and especially those travelling to the shows.  I wonder if there is anything else to do in Vegas :wink:   Now to get political a bit, I really hope they are not testing asymptomatic people.  It really makes no sense to test asymptomatic people at this point.  And yes I am prepared for the blowback starting....

And when the asymptomatic people spread it to other who become symptomatic? Or someone in the chain dies? What then?
    It makes total sense to test regularly in their situation.
    Almost all the people dying from COVID currently (not that this can't change) are either unvaccinated or immuncompromised and most of those are either elderly and/or obese.  If we continue to treat this as it was in 2020 then nothing will ever go back to normal.  It's not 2020.  People are going to get this. The best way to be safe is to get vaccinated and lead a healthy lifestyle.  
    Nobody is treating it like it's 2020. If they were the shows never would have been scheduled in the first place.
    Yes, people are going to get this... and those people need to stay home until they aren't going to spread it around to others.

With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    U2SJU2SJ Posts: 62
    CO278952 said:
    More depressing than the show cancellations is all the Covid talk now taking over the boards again. Looking forward to the Fall leg!  Get well soon fellas!
    I agree, this board is going to experience another Covid surge. Main reason why I left early last year. Oh well it was fun talking shows and reconnecting for the few weeks it lasted. There’s no real answers for the band, nobody to blame. Having experienced Covid last week I know it sucks but all the doom and gloom talk is honestly worse. Like many I’m done traveling to shows with the level of uncertainty. So unless the band is coming back to Nor Cal I may be in for an extended show drought. Hoping for a Bridge School return so maybe we can all reconnect then. Take care all!
    yes bring back Bridge Benefit!!
    My ugly crying tonite at times is due to that... it's gonna be a long while before they come back to California. Covid sucks.
  • Options
    walkunafraidwalkunafraid Posts: 2,557
    I haven't seen a single person angry at PJ, what are you talking about??
    The multiple comments about how COVID is just a cold/flu, that the band shouldn't even be testing, that Ed/Stone/Mike should've just played an acoustic show, that there wasn't adequate communication, etc.
    Everything has chains...Absolutely nothing's changed. - PJ

“The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.” - Albert Camus
  • Options
    mmissik98mmissik98 Posts: 1
    edited May 2022
  • Options
    PJammin'PJammin' Posts: 1,743
    U2SJ said:
    CO278952 said:
    More depressing than the show cancellations is all the Covid talk now taking over the boards again. Looking forward to the Fall leg!  Get well soon fellas!
    I agree, this board is going to experience another Covid surge. Main reason why I left early last year. Oh well it was fun talking shows and reconnecting for the few weeks it lasted. There’s no real answers for the band, nobody to blame. Having experienced Covid last week I know it sucks but all the doom and gloom talk is honestly worse. Like many I’m done traveling to shows with the level of uncertainty. So unless the band is coming back to Nor Cal I may be in for an extended show drought. Hoping for a Bridge School return so maybe we can all reconnect then. Take care all!
    My ugly crying tonite at times is due to that... it's gonna be a long while before they come back to California. Covid sucks.
    They will play Ohana again at some point. 
    I died. I died and you just stood there. I died and you watched. I died and you walked by and said no. I'm dead.
  • Options
    LizardLizard So Cal Posts: 12,073
    I am not surprised at the cancelations...but still disappointed.  Flashbacks to my very 1st show in 1995 San Diego being canceled. I recall it as the morning of, but may have been day before...way before social media sites. I just recall seeing it in the morning newspaper.  Went to the Del Mar fair anyway...

Be well all....see y'all around the bend.
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • Options
    OJ1414OJ1414 Posts: 35
    I was able to get my hotel deposit back as well. Called and told them the event I was visiting Vegas to see got canceled and they asked what event it was, then said they'd refund the deposit even though it was past the deadline (the Bellagio, for reference in case anyone else had reservations there and was thinking about canceling). Able to bank the airfare for a trip sometime this year, just have to figure out where/when. So luckily it didn't wind up costing any money but still sucks. 

Hope Matt and Jeff (and Ed, for that matter) get better quickly and look forward to (hopefully) catching them in OKC this fall. 
  • Options
    given2fly23given2fly23 Evanston, IL Posts: 5,882
    edited May 2022
    Be careful out there. Numbers are spiking and people refuse to wear masks. 
    Post edited by given2fly23 on
    Found: Soundgarden Hyde Park DVD (Thank you for the gift!)
    Posters for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/117469/posters-for-sale
    T-Shirts for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/149289/pj-t-shirt-trade-or-sale
  • Options
    OfThePearlOfThePearl Posts: 637
    edited May 2022
    Post edited by OfThePearl on
  • Options
    My brother got super-tired this afternoon. As some of you know, we’ve been following this whole tour despite the fact we’re from nowhere near here. I thought he was just down from the last 2 shows being canceled, but when he couldn’t finish a single piece of pizza or glass of wine at dinner, I forced him to test and said I would too. He’s positive. I was so down about the 2 final shows but after seeing how tired he got, I could not care less about the shows and am grateful we weren’t at a show with a 90-minute drive back to Oakland. We’re both triple-vaxxed, not obese or underlying conditions and we were fully masked at all 7 shows and every flight. We don’t drink at shows and never took our masks off. I need to get him home. I just wish everyone health and happiness, but I’m not fucking around with this thing anymore. I don’t care if I die, but I can’t see my loved ones suffer. 
    Best wishes to your brother and you. I hope he doesn't get hit too hard by this, and that you manage to avoid it. Be well.

“The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.” - Albert Camus
  • Options
    given2fly23given2fly23 Evanston, IL Posts: 5,882
    OJ1414 said:
    I was able to get my hotel deposit back as well. Called and told them the event I was visiting Vegas to see got canceled and they asked what event it was, then said they'd refund the deposit even though it was past the deadline (the Bellagio, for reference in case anyone else had reservations there and was thinking about canceling). Able to bank the airfare for a trip sometime this year, just have to figure out where/when. So luckily it didn't wind up costing any money but still sucks. 

Hope Matt and Jeff (and Ed, for that matter) get better quickly and look forward to (hopefully) catching them in OKC this fall. 
    Same. All in all, feeling lucky, but we were doing the whole tour and it lasted 4 shows before the wheels came off. Bummed. Everything is so expensive right now, I can’t say this was worth the money and trouble. 
    Found: Soundgarden Hyde Park DVD (Thank you for the gift!)
    Posters for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/117469/posters-for-sale
    T-Shirts for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/149289/pj-t-shirt-trade-or-sale
  • Options
    U2SJU2SJ Posts: 62
    PJammin' said:
    U2SJ said:
    CO278952 said:
    They will play Ohana again at some point. 
    i hope so..the disappointment is real
  • Options
    RatherStarvedRatherStarved Posts: 4,234
    I’ll stay out of debating Covid as a health or political issue.  Purely as a fan there’s a risk when traveling for shows that you could get snafu’d.  I had just arrived in Sac when the news broke.  Salvaged the night with a drive to SF, dinner overlooking the water, and a drive back across the Golden Gate Bridge.  Pretty good for a bad night! Fortunate to have been at other shows that were not cancelled and was never planning on Vegas.  All in all I was lucky on this tour.  Oh and btw masked up at all shows except when eating or drinking, vaxxed to the max, and pretty damn healthy so far.  It was a mistake by the organizers not to have vax/test and mask mandates.  My opinion.  Maybe even a fact.  
    PJ: 2013: London (ON); Buffalo; 2014: Cincinnati; 2016: Sunrise, Miami, Toronto 1-2, Wrigley 2; 2018: London (UK) 1, Milan, Padova, Sea 2, Wrigley 1-2, Fenway 1-2; 2021: SHN, Ohana, Ohana Encore 1-2; 2022: LA 1-2, Phx, Oak 1-2, Fresno, Copenhagen, Hyde Park 1-2; Quebec, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto; MSG, Camden, Nashville, Louisville, St. Louis, OKC; 2023: St. Paul 1-2, Chicago 1-2; Fort Worth 2; Austin 1-2

EV Solo: 2017 Louisville and Franklin, 2018 Ohana, 2019 Innings Fest, Berlin, Düsseldorf, Dublin and Ohana; 2021 Ohana Friday (from beach) and Saturday; 2022 Earthlings Newark; 2023 Innings Fest and Benoraya 1-2.

Gutted:  London 2 2018, Sacramento 2022, Noblesville 2023
  • Options
    I feel numb! Please don’t refund me. I will wait patiently for a rescheduled Vegas show. I had finally won the lottery and had GA tickets in hand for my DREAM SHOW! I don’t care about my hotel that won’t refund me, or the airfare I will lose. I just want the opportunity to see my favorite band up close. My heart goes out to all of my fellow PJ fans who are also experiencing this emptiness. Get feeling better Jeff and Matt. 
  • Options
    BF25394BF25394 Posts: 3,323
    edited May 2022
    pjhawks said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    pjhawks said:
    This sucks for all the people holding tickets to those shows and especially those travelling to the shows.  I wonder if there is anything else to do in Vegas :wink:   Now to get political a bit, I really hope they are not testing asymptomatic people.  It really makes no sense to test asymptomatic people at this point.  And yes I am prepared for the blowback starting....

And when the asymptomatic people spread it to other who become symptomatic? Or someone in the chain dies? What then?
    It makes total sense to test regularly in their situation.
    Almost all the people dying from COVID currently (not that this can't change) are either unvaccinated or immuncompromised and most of those are either elderly and/or obese.  If we continue to treat this as it was in 2020 then nothing will ever go back to normal.  It's not 2020.  People are going to get this. The best way to be safe is to get vaccinated and lead a healthy lifestyle.  
    70 percent of the U.S. population is overweight or obese.  This is a big reason why 78 percent of COVID deaths are among those who are overweight or obese.  (And, yes, it is overweight AND obese, not just the obese.)  So, sure, living healthier is a good strategy, but that is not something that is going to be accomplished in the short- or medium-term.  (And it's not ever going to happen in a country where inexpensive food is unhealthy food, and many people have little or no access to fresh produce or healthy food because they live in food deserts.)  Meanwhile, people can take reasonable precautions to protect themselves and others.  If they don't, then, yes, "people are going to get this."  But there are things you can do to increase your odds of avoiding it, primarily wearing a mask properly and consistently when in any indoor public setting or when mixing with people from outside of your household.  I have practiced this religiously, and I am living my life.  I just saw Pearl Jam seven times, fully masked at all times.  I saw Wilco four times last fall.  I saw Jeff Tweedy five times this spring.  Etc.  I haven't gotten it.  Maybe it will catch up to me eventually but, as long as transmission is high-- and it is where I live-- I'll continue to take these reasonable precautions that are a minor inconvenience to me.

EDIT: Some people have remarked about politics.  I just want to be clear: I am not coming at this from a political point of view.  As a great man has said many times: "I ain't no Democrat/Sure as fuck ain't no Republican either."
    Post edited by BF25394 on
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • Options
    teskeincteskeinc Posts: 836
    Boggles my mind that with all the precautions they were taking that Matt and Jeff still got it. Even their crew was masked up and I’m sure they were tested multiple times. Couldn’t even make it 2 weeks? Ed and Earthlings either? 

Multiple bands are touring extensively and/or residencies here in Vegas and you rarely here of any shows canceled? Ed/PJ go 2 for 2. Unreal.

Not rescheduling is a kick in the nuts. Just flat out canceling and refunding tix punishes the fans. Some losing thousands. Shit happens but this isn’t cool.

1994 : Memphis 1995 : New Orleans 1996 : Seattle
    1998 : St Louis, Birmingham, Knoxville
    2000 : Memphis, Nashville, St Louis
    2003 : Irvine 1+2, Vegas, Bridge School 1+2, Santa Barbara
    2005 : Missoula, Vancouver, Gorge 2006 : LA 1+2, Vegas
    2008 : W Palm Beach, Tampa, Who Rock Honors, EV LA 2
    2009 : LA 1, LA 4, EV 1 Nashville 2011 : EV Long Beach
    2012: EV Vegas 1+2
    2013 LA 1+2 2018 Prague, Wrigley 2
    2020 Phoenix, SD

• Options
    teskeinc said:

Not rescheduling is a kick in the nuts. Just flat out canceling and refunding tix punishes the fans. Some losing thousands. Shit happens but this isn’t cool.

Last time they postponed/rescheduled there were countless complaints by people claiming PJ was "holding their money." Given the fact that swinging back around to these cities would be difficult logistically, I think it was the right call. They can always decide later if they want to tack Sacramento/Vegas on to Leg 2 of their US tour, but I don't blame them for not wanting to make that commitment right now considering the surging number of COVID cases and frustration with the medical complications on Leg 1 of the tour.

• Options
    fsu2626fsu2626 Posts: 324
    Already in Vegas and have to eat the travel costs. It will feel weird when they put the merch up for sale 
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,127
    It will be interesting to see where "we" go from here. If fewer songs/shorter setlists are the new norm and you couple that with the ever-present risk of covid (this shit ain't going away), it's hard to see large portions of this fan base committing to traveling to see this band consistently like they do now. With other bands that have large followings like Phish, Dave Matthews Band, Foo Fighters, etc... it's easy to see them in your hometown because they tour relentlessly and have large numbers of dates on their schedule. If one of those artists are your favorite band, you don't have to span the earth to be able to attend their concerts.

Pearl Jam is a different story considering how small their tours are relative to most artists. You add shorter and less diverse sets together with the ever-present risk of Covid (I think this band takes it much more seriously than most) and you get a perfect recipe for what was once a traveling fan base electing to stay home. Big markets like the east coast will always sell out but it might be harder for them to fill shows arenas/amphitheaters, and stadiums in other parts of the country than they previously thought.

I don't mean to be doom and gloom here - maybe that's just me being butthurt about having the carpet pulled out from underneath me minutes before I was supposed to board a flight for the Vegas show.

PS: Hours after the initial post on social media, I finally got an email about the cancellation.

There are about 30 major markets in the US. If an album tour were split over four legs over two years, it isn’t that difficult to hit most of the major markets. The reason so many say “it’s been xxx years since they played my city” is based on their unique boutique approach and indifference to prioritizing where fans live and how much travel is generated by this style of touring.
  • Options
    EA17313EA17313 Posts: 62
    You're packing arenas and all kinds of people are giving each other covid and you do that every time you have a show. Which is fine! We're building on our immunity. It's basically a cold now and it will be with us for ever. All the restrictions have basically been lifted and we're as protected from it now as we're going to be. So not sure why we need to obsessively keep testing ourselves freaking each other out and littering the planet. The hospitals are not at max capacity. This isn't 2020/21. 

• Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,928
    I'll say that from many reports it sounds like Vegas hotels have a great policy when it comes to event cancellations. Makes sense that they would given their business model, but still good to see it happen for those that were able to get their money back. 

I personally thought PJ20 should have been in Vegas and would love if they did a residency there sometime. 

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    pistol3pistol3 CO Posts: 159
    JimmyV said:
    We joke about the term gutted but that is how I feel for the people who had tickets. There are literally GA and merch lines in Sacramento. There's a lady on FB posting a happy picture from the airport gate on her way to Vegas who found out as she boarded. There are probably others who are going to find out when they land. Just awful. 

Just think how shitty this would’ve been for people taking the trip to Fresno to have it cancelled upon arrival. At least it’s Vegas, I guess.
    VA Beach 8/3/00, Council Bluffs 6/13/03, St. Paul 6/16/03, East Troy 6/21/03, The Gorge 7/22/06, 7/23/06, Chicago 8/23/09, KC 5/3/10, St. Louis 5/4/10, Dublin 6/22/10, Belfast 6/23/10, London 6/25/10, EV Minneapolis 7/2/11, EV Tulsa 11/18/12, Chicago 7/19/13, OKC 11/16/13, Phoenix 11/19/13, Pemberton 7/17/16, Missoula 8/13/18, San Diego 5/3/22
  • Options
    Weston1283Weston1283 Fredericksburg, VA Posts: 4,632
    edited May 2022
    The multiple comments about how COVID is just a cold/flu, that the band shouldn't even be testing, that Ed/Stone/Mike should've just played an acoustic show, that there wasn't adequate communication, etc.
    I’m not saying they should or shouldn’t be testing, they can do whatever they want

But it is an absolute fact that if they are going to choose to test daily, that every show has a moderate to high risk of being canceled, and that traveling to shows as a fan comes with more risk than ever.  That’s all I’m saying.  I would be incredibly hesitant to go to Europe this summer and I don’t plan on booking a single non-refundable hotel for the fall.

You couple the Covid risk with the lack of setlist variety, and as someone else said, I think there is going to be a massive dent in the number of traveling PJ fans going forward.

Pre-Covid, I would have NEVER canceled plans last minute to see the band.  But when I woke up on Sunday, after thinking about how the tour was going so far (Covid, setlists) I just said to myself “I think I’m good”.  I almost couldn’t believe it myself that I felt that way, but I did and canceled my west coast trip this week.
    Post edited by Weston1283 on
    2010: Cleveland
    2012: Atlanta
    2013: London ONT / Wrigley Field / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / San Diego / Los Angeles I / Los Angeles II
    2014: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Detroit / Denver
    2015: New York City
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale / Miami / Jacksonville / Greenville / Hampton / Columbia / Lexington / Philly II / New York City II / Toronto II / Bonnaroo / Telluride / Fenway I / Wrigley I / Wrigley - II / TOTD - Philadelphia, San Francisco
    2017: Ohana Fest (EV)
    2018: Amsterdam I / Amsterdam II / Seattle I / Seattle II / Boston I / Boston II
    2021: Asbury Park / Ohana Encore 1 / Ohana Encore 2
    2022: Phoenix / LA I / LA II / Quebec City / Ottawa / New York City / Camden / Nashville / St. Louis / Denver
    2023: St. Paul II
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,544
    Feel bad for the band.  Sucks for everyone.  Missing Vegas.

Weston - I would say that I enjoyed Phoenix immensely and have had thoughts about slowing down going forward.  You wouldn’t have regretted traveling to see them.  The show was awesome.  2 hrs 20 minutes is a worth traveling for still.
  • Options
    ImcoffeegirlImcoffeegirl Posts: 207
    Agreed - fans here and on social media are making some really disappointing remarks. People need to remember that it's a privilege, not a right, to see our favorite bands live. Everyone touring right now is taking a huge risk, and I think people should remember that before they spew criticism 
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,928
    Agreed - fans here and on social media are making some really disappointing remarks. People need to remember that it's a privilege, not a right, to see our favorite bands live. Everyone touring right now is taking a huge risk, and I think people should remember that before they spew criticism 
    I agree with all of this but it goes both ways. We should also be understanding of people who are rightly disappointed, out money they can't get back, etc. They have a right to be frustrated and we should let them work through it. 

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    ImcoffeegirlImcoffeegirl Posts: 207
    JimmyV said:
    I agree with all of this but it goes both ways. We should also be understanding of people who are rightly disappointed, out money they can't get back, etc. They have a right to be frustrated and we should let them work through it. 
    Absolutely spot on - compassion should go both ways. ❤️Thank you for the reminder. 
  • Options
    Wishing Matt and Jeff a speedy recovery!