Ohana 2022?

Comments

• RiotAct10RiotAct10 Posts: 1,618
    Who do you all think will play last Saturday? Jack White or Ed?
    words seem so out of place.

8.21.00 Columbus | 6.24.03 Columbus | 7.9.03 NYC | 10.2.04 Toledo | 9.11.05 Kitchener | 5.20.06 Cleveland | 8.5.07 Chicago | 5.6.10 Columbus | 5.7.10 Noblesville | 5.9.10 Cleveland | 9.3.11 East Troy | 9.4.11 East Troy | 7.19.13 Chicago | 10.11.13 Pittsburgh | 10.1.14 Cincinnati | 4.8.16 Ft. Lauderdale | 4.9.16 Miami | 8.8.18 Seattle | 8.10.18 Seattle | 9.26.21 Dana Point | 10.1.21 Dana Point | 10.2.21 Dana Point | 9.16.22 Nashville | 9.17.22 Louisville | 9.18.22 St. Louis | 9.2.23 St. Paul | 9.15.23 Ft. Worth | 6.22.24 Dublin | 8.26.24 Noblesville
    6.26.11 Detroit (EdVed) | 9.23.17 Louisville (EdVed) | 9.25.21 Dana Point (EdVed) | 10.01.22 Dana Point (EdVed) | 2.6.22 Newark (EdVed)
  • wsimon74wsimon74 Posts: 503
    JimmyV said:
    They are going to need to figure out the business model if Encore is going to continue. You can't announce one festival and sell tickets only to announce a second festival later. Particularly not one where Pearl Jam plays, because much of Ed's audience will look at that as a better bill than this, no matter who is underneath. You could get away with it last year because Encore clearly was devised after the original Ohana announcement was made in 2020. You can't do that every year. ACL doesn't do that. Coachella doesn't do that. 
    and if that is your business model, you need to announce both lineups at the same time, allow people to make the choice, instead of trying to get them to buy tickets to ohana, only to get them to buy more tickets to encore.  For example, my wife would 100% prefer this years Ohana lineup, while I would 100% prefer an encore show that included pearl jam (I'm not assuming PJ is in fact playing encore, just trying to make an example).  There is a market for both, just be up front about it. 
  • nippleholicnippleholic Posts: 1,084
    Broken Social Scene playing you Forgot it in People is awesome! Wish they would do that here in their hometown (Toronto).
    2003: Buffalo, Toronto
    2004: Boston (x2), Toledo, Grand Rapids
    2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto
    2006: Toronto (x2), Grand Rapids, Cleveland, Detroit
    2008: New York City (x2), Hartford, Boston II
    2010: Buffalo, Newark, New York City (x2), Nijmegen, Berlin, Werchter
    2011: Alpine Valley I, Alpine Valley II, Montreal, Toronto (x2), Ottawa, Hamilton
    2012: Amsterdam (x2), Berlin (x2)
    2013: London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Brooklyn (x2)
    2014: Detroit
    2016: Quebec City, Ottawa, Toronto (x2), Chicago (x2)
    2018: Amsterdam (x2), Padua, Rome, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Barcelona
    2022: San Diego, Los Angeles (x2), Oakland (x2), Fresno, Sacramento, Las Vegas, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto
    2023: Fort Worth (x2), Austin (x2)
    2024: Vancouver (x2), Portland, Sacramento, Las Vegas (x2), Los Angeles (x2), Dublin, Manchester, London, Berlin (x2), Barcelona (x2)

• Luckytwn1Luckytwn1 Posts: 513
    wsimon74 said:
    JimmyV said:
    They are going to need to figure out the business model if Encore is going to continue. You can't announce one festival and sell tickets only to announce a second festival later. Particularly not one where Pearl Jam plays, because much of Ed's audience will look at that as a better bill than this, no matter who is underneath. You could get away with it last year because Encore clearly was devised after the original Ohana announcement was made in 2020. You can't do that every year. ACL doesn't do that. Coachella doesn't do that. 
    and if that is your business model, you need to announce both lineups at the same time, allow people to make the choice, instead of trying to get them to buy tickets to ohana, only to get them to buy more tickets to encore.  For example, my wife would 100% prefer this years Ohana lineup, while I would 100% prefer an encore show that included pearl jam (I'm not assuming PJ is in fact playing encore, just trying to make an example).  There is a market for both, just be up front about it. 
    This is a great point. 2021 was a major exception because Encore gave Pearl Jam a chance to do 2 additional shows outdoors very easily during the pandemic. If there are two weekends this year, definitely they should have been announced at the same time. 
  • UtahBoltUtahBolt Posts: 188
    edited April 2022
    My initial rambling thoughts (if anyone cares): 

-BILLY STRINGS will blow the place away!  Guaranteed! 
    -Pink puts on a GREAT live show (one of my wife's favs), though I don't think she can do her acrobatics at a fest?  Maybe acoustic?
    -Honestly, not sure what to think about Stevie.  Love her (who doesn't) but how has the voice held up?  Sort of indifferent here.
    -Saw Grouplove at Innings a couple of years ago and the were way better than expected.   
    -Khruangbin, Revivalists, Gang of Youths and Manchester Orchestra are the future and all are great.  I look forward to seeing each of them for the first time. 
    -Curious about St. Vincent.  Everybody raves about her and her live show but really doesn't seem like something I would dig.  Will have to give it a try.
    -Brittany can sing...I mean really sing.  Don't always love the music but appreciate the talent.  
    -Saw St. Paul and the Broken Bones twice (one at said Innings fest) and a big MEH both times.   That's a beach break band. 
    -Mike Campbell.  Have seen him and the DKs many times but If they play Runnin Down a Dream, it's worth it.
    -All the other bands are mostly just names to me.  Will have fun sampling some of their catalog as we get closer.
    -HOWEVER, the possibility of Eddie, Jack and Billy together is crazy and if it happened would be worth the price of admission!
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,483
    JimmyV said:
    Seems as if the 2021 encore was a one-off so that PJ could do a few more shows/create work for their crew.

Not sure what makes people think the encore is happening again this year
  • JimmyV said:
    Lots of possibilities for  a Stevie/Ed duet. 

https://youtu.be/H5i7j0VhEHw
    should be a given.  got to see stevie and TP perform it at Bonnaroo back in the day.  while I hate to miss them do this at ohana, thats not enough to get me there. 
  • JimmyVJimmyV Posts: 19,124
    JOEJOEJOE said:
    JimmyV said:
    Seems as if the 2021 encore was a one-off so that PJ could do a few more shows/create work for their crew.

I agree that is how Encore started, but there have been some rumblings. Plus, Stone claimed in an interview that Painted Shield was scheduled to play Ohana this year, yet they are not on this bill.  

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • JOEJOEJOE said:
    JimmyV said:

the whole town being (mostly) sold out for both of those weekends for months now tells you something is happening that weekend.
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 29,364
    UtahBolt said:
    My initial rambling thoughts (if anyone cares): 

-BILLY STRINGS will blow the place away!  Guaranteed! 
    -Pink puts on a GREAT live show (one of my wife's favs), though I don't think she can do her acrobatics at a fest?  Maybe acoustic?
    -Honestly, not sure what to think about Stevie.  Love her (who doesn't) but how has the voice held up?  Sort of indifferent here.
    -Saw Grouplove at Innings a couple of years ago and the were way better than expected.   
    -Khruangbin, Revivalists, Gang of Youths and Manchester Orchestra are the future and all are great.  I look forward to seeing each of them for the first time. 
    -Curious about St. Vincent.  Everybody raves about her and her live show but really doesn't seem like something I would dig.  Will have to give it a try.
    -Brittany can sing...I mean really sing.  Don't always love the music but appreciate the talent.  
    -Saw St. Paul and the Broken Bones twice (one at said Innings fest) and a big MEH both times.   That's a beach break band. 
    -Mike Campbell.  Have seen him and the DKs many times but If they play Runnin Down a Dream, it's worth it.
    -All the other bands are mostly just names to me.  Will have fun sampling some of their catalog as we get closer.
    -HOWEVER, the possibility of Eddie, Jack and Billy together is crazy and if it happened would be worth the price of admission!
    I've seen St. Vincent twice, opening for the Black Keys and QOTSA.  Wasn't a fan.

Brittany Howard is fantastic live.  She will be a monster on that stage.  I can't wait to see her again.  

Stevie will be great.  She's a goddess to me.  

Excited about the Dirty Knobs.  I think their music is good.  

I hope we get a good set from JW and not just 60 min average opener sort of thing. 
  • reyrey Posts: 280
    Does Billy Strings play bluegrass music?
  • nc_jammer1nc_jammer1 Posts: 547
    Does Ohana typically sell out ?  any idea on the number of people approx ?
    Yes it does.  I would bet it's around 10-12?  It's definitely much smaller than a normal giant ass festival. 
    mrussel1 said:
    Yes it does.  I would bet it's around 10-12?  It's definitely much smaller than a normal giant ass festival.

Great , Thanks 
    mrussel1 said:

Great , Thanks 
    Was definitely fearing it being a "Big-ass" festival,... have never been down that way, think of making the trip !!   So securing the presale tix a good idea?/
    This remains a bucket list thing for me. Some year we will make it out there. 

• whitepantswhitepants Posts: 727
    Ohana sells out every year. Amazingly, those VIP Experience tickets that are $10k each sell out quickly. 

Like, who the hell has that kind of money?
    ~*~Me and Hippiemom dranketh the red wine in Cleveland 2003~*~

First PJ Show: March 20, 1994 | Ann Arbor | Crisler Arena
    mrussel1 said:

Great , Thanks 
    Was definitely fearing it being a "Big-ass" festival,... have never been down that way, think of making the trip !!   So securing the presale tix a good idea?/
    If you're going for sure, yes.  Last year I got tickets late.  But it was kind of a pain because there are wrist bands.  So I had to drive to someone's house in metro LA to pick them up.  You can get them late, but it isn't a seamless transfer.  You will have to meet a person.  But there's always something for sale.  

It's definitely not big.  I hate festivals and my wife REALLY hates crowds.  All three days we were with a group of people where we laid the blankets under teh palms between the two stages and never moved.  It was great.  Never, ever felt crowded.  But also didn't bother to try to get close.  
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

Great , Thanks 
    If you're going for sure, yes.  Last year I got tickets late.  But it was kind of a pain because there are wrist bands.  So I had to drive to someone's house in metro LA to pick them up.  You can get them late, but it isn't a seamless transfer.  You will have to meet a person.  But there's always something for sale.  

It's definitely not big.  I hate festivals and my wife REALLY hates crowds.  All three days we were with a group of people where we laid the blankets under teh palms between the two stages and never moved.  It was great.  Never, ever felt crowded.  But also didn't bother to try to get close.  
    thanks for all the info,  big help!!
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 13,429
    They will have fan to fan set up for Ohana. It can be above face and with fees. You can not sell below face on it. Also Ohana is around 20K. 
  • drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,450
    Briston Maroney is a gem. Best person on that lineup behind Ed. Seriously! 
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
    PJNB said:
    They will have fan to fan set up for Ohana. It can be above face and with fees. You can not sell below face on it. Also Ohana is around 20K. 
    1. Does this mean TM or whomever will then send the wristband to the new recipient or does it become will call?

2. 20k?  It doesn't seem like anywhere close to that.  If you figure that is a full size arena (MSG, Wells Fargo, etc.), I cannot imagine there are that many people in front of the main stage.  At 80% of the people are definitely in that area at the time of the main show.  
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,567
    PJNB said:
    It has never felt like 20K. More like 5k feel to it unless you are trying to muscle up close. We were about 12 rows back for Ed and Incubus a few years ago and even that didn't feel that crowded. Last year, we hung back near the edge of the grass. Plenty of room there to chill and dance to the music. And it really doesn't start to get "crowded" until after 6.
    It's a hopeless situation...
    From March:

https://www.spin.com/2022/03/stone-gossard-loosegroove-records-interview/

"A supergroup of sorts featuring Gossard, one-time Pearl Jam drummer Matt Chamberlain and singer/songwriter Mason Jennings, Painted Shield will release its second album, Painted Shield 2, on April 22. Gossard says the group is already halfway through a third album and plans to play its first live shows later this year, including a stop at Eddie Vedder’s annual Ohana festival in September in Southern California."

• JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,702
    JimmyV said:
    From March:

https://www.spin.com/2022/03/stone-gossard-loosegroove-records-interview/

"A supergroup of sorts featuring Gossard, one-time Pearl Jam drummer Matt Chamberlain and singer/songwriter Mason Jennings, Painted Shield will release its second album, Painted Shield 2, on April 22. Gossard says the group is already halfway through a third album and plans to play its first live shows later this year, including a stop at Eddie Vedder’s annual Ohana festival in September in Southern California."
    ^This 
  • matt84matt84 Posts: 713
    Is it likely the Saturday will sell out before Encore is announced (if it is indeed happening)?
  • JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,702
    edited April 2022
    matt84 said:
    Is it likely the Saturday will sell out before Encore is announced (if it is indeed happening)?
    I wouldn’t expect an Encore announcement if there is one until sometime in May. Saturday should sell out before then. 
    matt84 said:
    That's what happened last time.  But do we really expect an Encore weekend?  There are plenty of PJ CA dates this year. 
  • RK50065RK50065 Posts: 897
    wsimon74 said:
    JimmyV said:
    isn't trying to sell the most tickets the best business model?
  • matt84matt84 Posts: 713
    If there is an Encore I doubt PJ will be playing. More likely to have another Ed show.