Ohana 2022?

Comments

• JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,702
    mrussel1 said:
    matt84 said:
    Is it likely the Saturday will sell out before Encore is announced (if it is indeed happening)?
    That's what happened last time.  But do we really expect an Encore weekend?  There are plenty of PJ CA dates this year. 
    If the California made up dates for 2020 were in the Fall  instead of the Spring I would say no, but it will have been 5 months and Ohana is sort of a destination beach weekend. There will be a lot of people who travel to California to attend the festival and I feel like I heard a lot of people talk about traveling to attending both weekends last year. 
  • RatherStarvedRatherStarved Posts: 4,889
    matt84 said:
    Is it likely the Saturday will sell out before Encore is announced (if it is indeed happening)?
    I’d say no more than 50/50 on this.  There have been a lot of Ed shows in Calif over the last year.  Usually the Sunday headliner sells out before the Ed Saturday, although I’m not the target market for Pink so I can’t speak to that.  
    PJ: 2013: London (ON); Buffalo; 2014: Cincinnati; 2016: Sunrise, Miami, Toronto 1-2, Wrigley 2; 2018: London (UK) 1, Milan, Padova, Sea 2, Wrigley 1-2, Fenway 1-2; 2021: SHN, Ohana, Ohana Encore 1-2; 2022: LA 1-2, Phx, Oak 1-2, Fresno, Copenhagen, Hyde Park 1-2; Quebec, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto; MSG, Camden, Nashville, Louisville, St. Louis, OKC; 2023: St. Paul 1-2, Chicago 1-2; Fort Worth 2; Austin 1-2; 2024:  Vancouver 1-2, LV 1-2, LA 1-2, Napa, Barcelona 1-2

EV Solo: 2017 Louisville and Franklin, 2018 Ohana, 2019 Innings Fest, Berlin, Düsseldorf, Dublin and Ohana; 2021 Ohana Friday (from beach) and Saturday; 2022 Earthlings Newark; 2023 Innings Fest and Benoraya 1-2.

Gutted:  London 2 2018, Sacramento 2022, Noblesville 2023
  • JimmyVJimmyV Posts: 19,124
    If PJ was never going to play Ohana this year, saving some of these California shows for the fall would have made sense. 

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • given2fly23given2fly23 Posts: 5,902
    edited April 2022
    "It will be just one weekend this year, as opposed to the two it spread out to in 2021, due to high demand for a long-awaited reappearance by Pearl Jam, which is not on the lineup this time."

Found: Soundgarden Hyde Park DVD (Thank you for the gift!)
    Posters for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/117469/posters-for-sale
    T-Shirts for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/149289/pj-t-shirt-trade-or-sale
  • JojoRiceJojoRice Posts: 4,207
    Should get Captain Geech and the Shrimp Shack Shooters
    "I got memories, I got shit"

ISO 2016 Greenville shirt. Size medium. PM me if you have one for sale/trade.
    "It will be just one weekend this year, as opposed to the two it spread out to in 2021, due to high demand for a long-awaited reappearance by Pearl Jam, which is not on the lineup this time."

Interesting. I wonder if there is a press release somewhere that says that or if this reporter is just surmising. 

edited April 2022
    JimmyV said:

Interesting. I wonder if there is a press release somewhere that says that or if this reporter is just surmising. 
    That is what I am wondering too because this article is the only place that it has been mentioned. Also if there isn’t a second weekend planned, it would be good from a ticket selling point of view to announce it is only one weekend so that people don’t wait to buy tickets waiting for another weekend to be announced. 
    Post edited by JeBurkhardt on
  • The_Giant_MidgetThe_Giant_Midget Los Angeles Posts: 574
    welp that article took the wind out of my sails. wonder if it was in the works and they scrapped it because there were a few solid rumblings about an Encore
    Beacon '08
    Philly 2-4 '09
    Newark '10
    MSG 1+2 '10
    E.V. Beacon 1+2 '11
    Made in America Festival '12
    Worcester 1+2 '13
    Brooklyn 1+2 '13
    Global Citizens Festival '15
    MSG 1+2 '16
    Fenway Park 1+2 '16
    Ohana '17
    Home Shows 1+2 '18
    Ohana '18
    Ohana '19
    Sea Hear Now '21
    Ohana '21
    LA 1+2 '22
    Austin 1+2 '23
    Ohana '23
    Vegas 1+2 '24
    LA 1+2 '24
    MSG 1+2 '24
  • Luckytwn1Luckytwn1 Posts: 513
    JimmyV said:
    From March:

https://www.spin.com/2022/03/stone-gossard-loosegroove-records-interview/

"A supergroup of sorts featuring Gossard, one-time Pearl Jam drummer Matt Chamberlain and singer/songwriter Mason Jennings, Painted Shield will release its second album, Painted Shield 2, on April 22. Gossard says the group is already halfway through a third album and plans to play its first live shows later this year, including a stop at Eddie Vedder’s annual Ohana festival in September in Southern California."
    ^This 
    Plans change, especially now when it comes to touring. And that article specifically sites Ohana in September, Encore was treated as a separate festival so using that as evidence is a big leap IMO.
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 29,364
    JimmyV said:

That is what I am wondering too because this article is the only place that it has been mentioned. Also if there isn’t a second weekend planned, it would be good from a ticket selling point of view to announce it is only one weekend so that people don’t wait to buy tickets waiting for another weekend to be announced. 
    Well the promoters can't lose.  They don't care who buys the tickets, and when (within reason).  So if they don't sell out now, they'll sell out when people figure out there's no second weekend.  
    edited April 2022
    JimmyV said:

Safe to say, Variety doesn't just "surmise" info.
  • JP218404JP218404 Posts: 1,402
    edited April 2022
    rey said:
    Does Billy Strings play bluegrass music?
    Yes and he is an amazing guitar player. His band is incredible.he will blow people away that aren’t familiar with him.

Post edited by JP218404 on
    Marquee 91
    Wetlands 91
    CBGB 91
    Roseland 91
    and many, many more
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,770
    RiotAct10 said:
    Who do you all think will play last Saturday? Jack White or Ed?
    Eddie
    I miss igotid88
  • DEGBTIDEGBTI Posts: 965
    what does co-headline mean exactly? They play together? Each does their own set, or half a set?
    DEGBTI said:
    what does co-headline mean exactly? They play together? Each does their own set, or half a set?
    On an actual tour, co-headline means the acts get equal billing and play basically the same amount of time. Sometimes co-headliners swap the order of play as well. So Act A goes on first one night, Act B the other night. It is also very normal for the acts to play together.

In this case, from the billing, it looks like Ed will play last.
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,787
    Stevie will be great, she plays all the hits. Saturday line up is fantastic.  Not that familiar with Sunday's line up, but I agree with what others have said about the festival.  My experience from 2021 is that the location is great, it does feel smaller than it is, and it really is a low hassle festival until 6-7 pm. It was so relaxed until the LA people showed up late all dressed up just to see Ed or PJ ;) 

Go early, cop a good spot and chillax. The best thing for me about 2021 (other than the Earthlings debut) was the bands on the undercard.  Ed and his team know what they are doing and there was only one band that I disliked.

Only real complaints were that the drinks were expensive and weak (couldn't even bribe the bartenders, they are closely watched), and the rideshare situation after the fest is not good.  It will sell out, there are a lot of resident of nearby areas that go every year no matter the lineup. 
    edited April 2022
    If the California made up dates for 2020 were in the Fall  instead of the Spring I would say no, but it will have been 5 months and Ohana is sort of a destination beach weekend. There will be a lot of people who travel to California to attend the festival and I feel like I heard a lot of people talk about traveling to attending both weekends last year. 
    People traveled last year because they were the ONLY shows other than the single SHN appearance. 2022 is totally different. They are doing a full tour and there's a ridiculous number of shows already on sale in CA. Plus, EV played solo shows in So Cal as well. You cannot compare the circumstances that led to Encore in 2021 to this year.
  • DE4173DE4173 Posts: 577
    For those going Sunday, check out Devon Gilfillian.

I hadn't heard of him before I saw he's opening for Nathaniel Rateliff and the Night Sweats
    1993: 11/22 Little Rock
    1996; 9/28 New York
    1997: 11/14 Oakland, 11/15 Oakland
    1998: 7/5 Dallas, 7/7 Albuquerque, 7/8 Phoenix, 7/10 San Diego, 7/11 Las Vegas
    2000: 10/17 Dallas
    2003: 4/3 OKC
    2012: 11/17 Tulsa(EV), 11/18 Tulsa(EV)
    2013: 11/16 OKC
    2014: 10/8 Tulsa
    2022: 9/20 OKC
    2023: 9/13 Ft Worth, 9/15 Ft Worth
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Posts: 19,455
    JojoRice said:
    Should get Captain Geech and the Shrimp Shack Shooters
    lol....I know this reference
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Wrigley; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • walkunafraidwalkunafraid Posts: 2,569

This is either really poor writing or (more likely) the writer is surmising based on the initial lineup drop.

If he had actual inside information about this, he would/should have mentioned the source of it, as he does the information about the fest potentially moving to another location ("Although festival organizers had indicated last year...").

My guess is still that there will be an Encore, it won't be announced until a few weeks/months down the line, and this writer is just assuming that since it wasn't part of the original lineup announcement, it's not happening.
    Everything has chains...Absolutely nothing's changed. - PJ

“The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.” - Albert Camus
  • RatherStarvedRatherStarved Posts: 4,889
    Doubletree availability across from the site…seems consistent with Encore theory to me.

PJ: 2013: London (ON); Buffalo; 2014: Cincinnati; 2016: Sunrise, Miami, Toronto 1-2, Wrigley 2; 2018: London (UK) 1, Milan, Padova, Sea 2, Wrigley 1-2, Fenway 1-2; 2021: SHN, Ohana, Ohana Encore 1-2; 2022: LA 1-2, Phx, Oak 1-2, Fresno, Copenhagen, Hyde Park 1-2; Quebec, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto; MSG, Camden, Nashville, Louisville, St. Louis, OKC; 2023: St. Paul 1-2, Chicago 1-2; Fort Worth 2; Austin 1-2; 2024:  Vancouver 1-2, LV 1-2, LA 1-2, Napa, Barcelona 1-2

EV Solo: 2017 Louisville and Franklin, 2018 Ohana, 2019 Innings Fest, Berlin, Düsseldorf, Dublin and Ohana; 2021 Ohana Friday (from beach) and Saturday; 2022 Earthlings Newark; 2023 Innings Fest and Benoraya 1-2.

Gutted:  London 2 2018, Sacramento 2022, Noblesville 2023

This is either really poor writing or (more likely) the writer is surmising based on the initial lineup drop.

If he had actual inside information about this, he would/should have mentioned the source of it, as he does the information about the fest potentially moving to another location ("Although festival organizers had indicated last year...").

My guess is still that there will be an Encore, it won't be announced until a few weeks/months down the line, and this writer is just assuming that since it wasn't part of the original lineup announcement, it's not happening.
    I think his source is this article Variety published last October. I don't know that I totally buy the origin of Encore presented here, to be honest. 

https://variety.com/2021/music/news/ohana-festival-growing-pearl-jam-1235080446/

• PJNBPJNB Posts: 13,429
    edited April 2022
    mrussel1 said:
    PJNB said:
    They will have fan to fan set up for Ohana. It can be above face and with fees. You can not sell below face on it. Also Ohana is around 20K. 
    1. Does this mean TM or whomever will then send the wristband to the new recipient or does it become will call?

2. 20k?  It doesn't seem like anywhere close to that.  If you figure that is a full size arena (MSG, Wells Fargo, etc.), I cannot imagine there are that many people in front of the main stage.  At 80% of the people are definitely in that area at the time of the main show.  
    There is a deadline to buy the tickets to be eligible to have them mailed to you. I do not remember when it was since I was international and had to get them through willcall but after that deadline all buyers have to go to willcall and any bracelets shipped out to sellers would be not valid for entry. 

It is definitely around 20K for a sellout and agree it did not feel like that many. I think cause the crowd packs in late closer to the entrance it gives that effect. 

https://www.thewrap.com/eddie-vedders-ohana-fest-was-a-chill-way-to-end-festival-season/ 
    JimmyV said:

I think his source is this article Variety published last October. I don't know that I totally buy the origin of Encore presented here, to be honest. 

https://variety.com/2021/music/news/ohana-festival-growing-pearl-jam-1235080446/
    Right. He doesn't sound like someone who has inside information when many other factors seem to point toward there being a second weekend.

I know there were various unusual circumstances that led to Encore last year, but it would be pretty unusual itself for a major festival to expand, do well, then revert back to one weekend. Just my humble opinion.

“The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.” - Albert Camus
    If there isn’t going to be a second weekend, then hopefully there is confirmation so those of us who are looking at going know one way or the other. 
  • gotthebottlegotthebottle Posts: 2,640
    Doubletree availability across from the site…seems consistent with Encore theory to me.

Not necessarily....lots of us booked rooms both weekends just in case. In fact I have 3 different rooms the supposed Encore weekend....
    edited April 2022
    JimmyV said:

Right. He doesn't sound like someone who has inside information when many other factors seem to point toward there being a second weekend.

The writer of the Variety article is Chris Willman. He is one of the most experienced and well connected music reporters around writing for a major industry trade publication. It's a little bit different than reading a rumor on Twitter.

He was just promoted to 
    Senior Music Writer and Chief Music Critic last week.  You can read about his extensive career here. https://variety.com/2022/music/news/chris-willman-promote-music-critic-1235219972/
    Post edited by Luckytwn1 on
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 13,429
    edited April 2022

Not necessarily....lots of us booked rooms both weekends just in case. In fact I have 3 different rooms the supposed Encore weekend....
    Those are not sold out but blacked out. You would have to call the hotel directly after Encore is announced to book them at a huge increased rate and likely 4 nights minimum stay. This is how they protect against us crazies that get wind of events happening before hand.
  • UtahBoltUtahBolt Posts: 188
    Anyone do VIP in the past?  Was it worth it?  Some festivals the extra cost is worth it and some not so much.  We have not been to Ohana so wondering if anyone has any insight into it?  Thanks!
    Luckytwn1 said:
    JimmyV said:

The writer of the Variety article is Chris Willman. He is one of the most experienced and well connected music reporters around writing for a major industry trade publication. It's a little bit different than reading a rumor on Twitter.

He was just promoted to Senior Music Writer and Chief Music Critic last week.  You can read about his extensive career here. https://variety.com/2022/music/news/chris-willman-promote-music-critic-1235219972/
    That's fine. He can obviously write. But there's not a single thing in the article that suggests any sort of inside knowledge. He's essentially telling us who's on the lineup, saying some things about a few of the artists, and reminding us of some details from last year.

Since he's an experienced writer, he would likely not make the rookie mistake of providing information without a source IF there is a source. It stands to reason that his comment about there not being a Weekend 2 this year is an assumption based on today's lineup drop -- if he knew this for a fact, he should have provided the source of this information.

Just because someone is an experienced and highly-regarded writer, doesn't mean they know everything that is going on behind the scenes, and it certainly doesn't mean that EV and the other festival organizers are letting anyone in on their plans for an Encore (if those plans indeed exist).