Ohana 2022?

Comments

• RatherStarvedRatherStarved Posts: 4,889
    UtahBolt said:
    Anyone do VIP in the past?  Was it worth it?  Some festivals the extra cost is worth it and some not so much.  We have not been to Ohana so wondering if anyone has any insight into it?  Thanks!
    I haven’t done Ohana VIP but I have done a few Ohanas.  Assuming the same setup as in the past, the best viewing locations (front of stage) are in the regular section.  The VIP section is off to the side.  VIP people can still come into the regular section but for 3-4 times the price, I think it’s a waste.  There are definitely some festivals where VIP is worth it if you can afford it, but in my opinion not this one.   
    PJ: 2013: London (ON); Buffalo; 2014: Cincinnati; 2016: Sunrise, Miami, Toronto 1-2, Wrigley 2; 2018: London (UK) 1, Milan, Padova, Sea 2, Wrigley 1-2, Fenway 1-2; 2021: SHN, Ohana, Ohana Encore 1-2; 2022: LA 1-2, Phx, Oak 1-2, Fresno, Copenhagen, Hyde Park 1-2; Quebec, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto; MSG, Camden, Nashville, Louisville, St. Louis, OKC; 2023: St. Paul 1-2, Chicago 1-2; Fort Worth 2; Austin 1-2; 2024:  Vancouver 1-2, LV 1-2, LA 1-2, Napa, Barcelona 1-2

EV Solo: 2017 Louisville and Franklin, 2018 Ohana, 2019 Innings Fest, Berlin, Düsseldorf, Dublin and Ohana; 2021 Ohana Friday (from beach) and Saturday; 2022 Earthlings Newark; 2023 Innings Fest and Benoraya 1-2.

Gutted:  London 2 2018, Sacramento 2022, Noblesville 2023
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,567
    UtahBolt said:
    Anyone do VIP in the past?  Was it worth it?  Some festivals the extra cost is worth it and some not so much.  We have not been to Ohana so wondering if anyone has any insight into it?  Thanks!
    I haven’t done Ohana VIP but I have done a few Ohanas.  Assuming the same setup as in the past, the best viewing locations (front of stage) are in the regular section.  The VIP section is off to the side.  VIP people can still come into the regular section but for 3-4 times the price, I think it’s a waste.  There are definitely some festivals where VIP is worth it if you can afford it, but in my opinion not this one.   
    Agreed from what I've seen and heard others say about it.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • UtahBoltUtahBolt Posts: 188
    ^^ Thanks both of you for the info.   

BTW-the Best Western Marina Plus across PCH has rooms still.   Average place but seems very walkable.
  • Luckytwn1Luckytwn1 Posts: 513
    Luckytwn1 said:
    JimmyV said:
    "It will be just one weekend this year, as opposed to the two it spread out to in 2021, due to high demand for a long-awaited reappearance by Pearl Jam, which is not on the lineup this time."

This is either really poor writing or (more likely) the writer is surmising based on the initial lineup drop.

If he had actual inside information about this, he would/should have mentioned the source of it, as he does the information about the fest potentially moving to another location ("Although festival organizers had indicated last year...").

My guess is still that there will be an Encore, it won't be announced until a few weeks/months down the line, and this writer is just assuming that since it wasn't part of the original lineup announcement, it's not happening.
    I think his source is this article Variety published last October. I don't know that I totally buy the origin of Encore presented here, to be honest. 

https://variety.com/2021/music/news/ohana-festival-growing-pearl-jam-1235080446/
    Right. He doesn't sound like someone who has inside information when many other factors seem to point toward there being a second weekend.

The writer of the Variety article is Chris Willman. He is one of the most experienced and well connected music reporters around writing for a major industry trade publication. It's a little bit different than reading a rumor on Twitter.

He was just promoted to Senior Music Writer and Chief Music Critic last week.  You can read about his extensive career here. https://variety.com/2022/music/news/chris-willman-promote-music-critic-1235219972/
    That's fine. He can obviously write. But there's not a single thing in the article that suggests any sort of inside knowledge. He's essentially telling us who's on the lineup, saying some things about a few of the artists, and reminding us of some details from last year.

Since he's an experienced writer, he would likely not make the rookie mistake of providing information without a source IF there is a source. It stands to reason that his comment about there not being a Weekend 2 this year is an assumption based on today's lineup drop -- if he knew this for a fact, he should have provided the source of this information.

Just because someone is an experienced and highly-regarded writer, doesn't mean they know everything that is going on behind the scenes, and it certainly doesn't mean that EV and the other festival organizers are letting anyone in on their plans for an Encore (if those plans indeed exist).
    I don't believe there is any way he (or any other writer for a major trade publication) drops that into the article without running it by the event's publicist first. And if it was wrong, they'd probably have him remove it once the article came out. That's the way things work.
  • Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,251
    Underwhelming lineup compared to years past. JW and EV is awesome but after that it’s really meh
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,770
    noticed the new post option is disabled
    I miss igotid88
  • Josh10376Josh10376 Posts: 76
    Day 3 will be first to sell out cause of Pink
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 29,364
    Josh10376 said:
    Funny, I skipped that day.  I'll head home on Sunday
  • RatherStarvedRatherStarved Posts: 4,889
    UtahBolt said:
    ^^ Thanks both of you for the info.   

BTW-the Best Western Marina Plus across PCH has rooms still.   Average place but seems very walkable.
    Stayed there last year for Encore.  It is indeed both average and walkable.  
    PJ: 2013: London (ON); Buffalo; 2014: Cincinnati; 2016: Sunrise, Miami, Toronto 1-2, Wrigley 2; 2018: London (UK) 1, Milan, Padova, Sea 2, Wrigley 1-2, Fenway 1-2; 2021: SHN, Ohana, Ohana Encore 1-2; 2022: LA 1-2, Phx, Oak 1-2, Fresno, Copenhagen, Hyde Park 1-2; Quebec, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto; MSG, Camden, Nashville, Louisville, St. Louis, OKC; 2023: St. Paul 1-2, Chicago 1-2; Fort Worth 2; Austin 1-2; 2024:  Vancouver 1-2, LV 1-2, LA 1-2, Napa, Barcelona 1-2

EV Solo: 2017 Louisville and Franklin, 2018 Ohana, 2019 Innings Fest, Berlin, Düsseldorf, Dublin and Ohana; 2021 Ohana Friday (from beach) and Saturday; 2022 Earthlings Newark; 2023 Innings Fest and Benoraya 1-2.

Gutted:  London 2 2018, Sacramento 2022, Noblesville 2023
  • Josh10376Josh10376 Posts: 76
    mrussel1 said:
    Josh10376 said:
    Funny, I skipped that day.  I'll head home on Sunday
    Cool, just making the point.
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Posts: 10,666
    UtahBolt said:
    Did VIP last year.
    For viewing it is not the best unless you get there real early and stake out your spot near the front corner near Mike.
    Sat in the bleachers each night.
    Great if you don't want to be hemmed in with the crowds.
    Great bathroom, beach, and merch access.
    Fun people watching.
    Overall I would say not worth the cost. But glad I did it.
  • MakeUSmileMakeUSmile Posts: 1,128
    FWIW, the list I saw that my friend had showed Ohana as weekend one and weekend two. My friend works sales for a vendor that rents space at Festivals in North America.  He spoke with someone at Ohana inquiring about renting space. He opted not to because they were requiring both weekends, not just one and his company couldn’t afford both weekends.  This is someone who had no knowledge of the festival prior to talking to them and me.  
    Obviously things could change, but as of about 3 weeks ago there was a second weekend ( weekend of 10/7) listed. 
    can you feel this world with your heart and not your brain?
  • DEGBTIDEGBTI Posts: 965
    FWIW, the list I saw that my friend had showed Ohana as weekend one and weekend two. My friend works sales for a vendor that rents space at Festivals in North America.  He spoke with someone at Ohana inquiring about renting space. He opted not to because they were requiring both weekends, not just one and his company couldn’t afford both weekends.  This is someone who had no knowledge of the festival prior to talking to them and me.  
    Obviously things could change, but as of about 3 weeks ago there was a second weekend ( weekend of 10/7) listed. 
    Thank you. I believe this. 
  • matt84matt84 Posts: 713
    mrtsurt is being very hush hush when asked about the Encore weekend on Instagram. I originally doubted there would be one, but now I think it’s happening.
  • The_Giant_MidgetThe_Giant_Midget Los Angeles Posts: 574
    thats great news and would align more with what they said about the festival expanding despite the article saying its just one weekend. Plus, would Stone really lie to us?!
    Beacon '08
    Philly 2-4 '09
    Newark '10
    MSG 1+2 '10
    E.V. Beacon 1+2 '11
    Made in America Festival '12
    Worcester 1+2 '13
    Brooklyn 1+2 '13
    Global Citizens Festival '15
    MSG 1+2 '16
    Fenway Park 1+2 '16
    Ohana '17
    Home Shows 1+2 '18
    Ohana '18
    Ohana '19
    Sea Hear Now '21
    Ohana '21
    LA 1+2 '22
    Austin 1+2 '23
    Ohana '23
    Vegas 1+2 '24
    LA 1+2 '24
    MSG 1+2 '24
  • whitepantswhitepants Posts: 727
    "It will be just one weekend this year, as opposed to the two it spread out to in 2021, due to high demand for a long-awaited reappearance by Pearl Jam, which is not on the lineup this time."

This is either really poor writing or (more likely) the writer is surmising based on the initial lineup drop.

If he had actual inside information about this, he would/should have mentioned the source of it, as he does the information about the fest potentially moving to another location ("Although festival organizers had indicated last year...").

My guess is still that there will be an Encore, it won't be announced until a few weeks/months down the line, and this writer is just assuming that since it wasn't part of the original lineup announcement, it's not happening.
    As someone who reads Variety, I even have a print subscription, they don't write things like this based on gut feelings or rumors. The journalist wrote what they wrote. There ain't gonna be an Encore this year. There was pent-up demand for concerts in 2021, and Eddie was smart and took advantage of it and invited PJ. Encore may happen again in the future.
    ~*~Me and Hippiemom dranketh the red wine in Cleveland 2003~*~

First PJ Show: March 20, 1994 | Ann Arbor | Crisler Arena
  • DEGBTIDEGBTI Posts: 965
    Can someone please tell me who mrtsurt is?
  • CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,775
    DEGBTI said:
    Can someone please tell me who mrtsurt is?
    Merch dude
  • JimmyVJimmyV Posts: 19,124
    I'm fascinated by this despite having no intention of going to either weekend. 

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
    Is your friend the one who saw something indicating weekend 2 was going to be all acoustic performances? I know that got mentioned somewhere but I've lost track of where. 

• MakeUSmileMakeUSmile Posts: 1,128
    JimmyV said:
    Is your friend the one who saw something indicating weekend 2 was going to be all acoustic performances? I know that got mentioned somewhere but I've lost track of where. 
    Yeah, that’s him.  I really don’t think he knew what he was talking about there. Known him over half my life, but he tends to BS a lot. Lol.  However, the dates and Ohana Weekend one and weekend two I saw on the spread sheet with my own eyes.  
    can you feel this world with your heart and not your brain?
    JimmyV said:
    Yeah, that’s him.  I really don’t think he knew what he was talking about there. Known him over half my life, but he tends to BS a lot. Lol.  However, the dates and Ohana Weekend one and weekend two I saw on the spread sheet with my own eyes.  
    Understood, thanks. 

• Red MosqitoRed Mosqito Posts: 1,239
    Secured a room at the Laguna Cliffs resort for that weekend already & plan on bringing the family! I really don’t expect that PJ will be at Ohana this year, but seeing EV & the Earthlings again (minus Glen unfortunately) will be worth it. 
    Same....got Laguna Cliffs on points...difference is that this will be the first year with both "kids" at college.  No more cramming four people into the room...I don't think my wife has ever been more nervous....
    Last year was my first time going to Ohana and went both weekends. The first weekend we stayed at Laguna Cliffs and it was an absolute breeze getting to & from the show. For Encore weekend I stayed at a hotel further out and after the show, it was an absolute goat rodeo trying to get transportation back to our hotel. So while it’s a little more pricey, having the convenience of being in walking distance of your hotel makes it worth it in my opinion. 
    Well....I look forward to hanging out by the pool with you.....
    Right on! First beer on me!
  • aisleseatsaisleseats Posts: 1,403
    Josh10376 said:
    Seriously? That's the day with like zero appeal. For me, the lineup on saturday is the only one worthwhile.
    edited April 2022
    PRL1JAM said:
    I completely regret not booking a room when I saw the “rumor” dates announced earlier in here earlier. 

I got a room last time (Ohana 2021) that was 5 miles away from the venue. Both nights, after numerous attempts, I couldn’t get an Uber back to my hotel. Both nights I walked 5 miles back to my hotel. I was hoping for something closer this time around. 

Looks like everything even remotely close by is completely sold out already. Has anyone ever had any luck on any booked rooms that were sold out, but eventually became available in the future by chance, due to cancellations, etc? 
    I'm so glad I booked a room when I saw the "rumor" dates and if you're wanting to stay at the Laguna Cliffs resort, I'm actually holding two room reservations and was going to release one since my friends decided not to go. It's an ocean view room, so let me know if you're interested in it and I'll see if I can have the reservation put in your name. Check-in date: 10/01 and Check out date: 10/03
    Post edited by Red Mosqito on
    I don't know if these would fit the vibe of Ohana; but would be epic - NIN and Rage Against the Machine are open...
    Hahahaha. I’ve had Rage tix for 3 years now, they just rescheduled Phoenix for 2023. Dont hold your breath on Ohana. 
    LOL, RATM! They were the only concert tickets I chose to get a refund for when COVID first hit. Personally I thought it was strange that they chose to push the dates all the way back to 2023, makes me wonder if they'll even do the tour at this point.

A 2020 tour was perfect because it was right before the election, so it just felt right that they were touring. Fast forward to 2023 and I don't get that same feeling. 
    Sept 30th is my birthday, and I've never seen Stevie Nicks live, so I have to go now. And as a Detroiter now living in California, I need to see Jack White as well. So yeah, I got the last room at the closest hotel, <5 miles away. All other hotels w/in walking distance are booked. I usually can nab one of those, but they're all sold out, so demand is unusually high for Ohana already.
    I would keep checking those hotels near Ohana. I have a feeling a lot of people pre-booked their rooms like I did when I saw the rumored dates thinking PJ would be playing. I’d imagine there will be some cancellations now that the lineup is announced. 
  • JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,702
    edited April 2022
    I had a room booked for the Best Western Plus Dana Point Inn-by-the-sea for Friday 9/30 and Saturday 10/1 that I just cancelled due to deciding to pass on the festival. It might still be available. 
    Post edited by JeBurkhardt on
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,405
    We considered flying in for Saturday, but we've gotta keep saving. Enjoy the festival, everyone. Last year was amazing and I bet this year's will be great as well.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com