Ohana 2022?

Comments

• JH6056JH6056 Posts: 2,427
    You can take a bus from LAX to downtown union station, then take the train to San Juan Capistrano (1 hr 20 min. $12.50 one way), then you're 5 miles from Dana Point for a taxi, a long walk, or a folding bike ride.
    That really only works if you have minimal stuff. Add a suitcase and a bag and that "long walk or folding bike ride" gets a lot more complicated.  Also, getting home AFTER the show has to happen too, and to the degree there are bikes and all, pretty sure not enough for all who'd want them, just like never enough Lyfts/Ubers, cabs for all who want them when everyone is leaving at once.

These are typical festival challenges although the harder it is to get onsite, the more complicated the logistics are.

Not complaining about it, just explaining that it's all part of the calculation for each individual on what is worth the effort/cost, and what maybe isn't.
  • 3days3days Posts: 1,158
    I think the concept of Encore weekend is inconsiderate . While no one is being forced to go either weekend, it seems like it does the fan a disservice. 

Why not just make Ohana a 2 weekend festival, which would be easier to plan for?

Why all the secrecy about the upcoming Encore weekend, instead of confirming it, which would be easier to plan for?

What if someone wants to attend both weekends, but only allotted vacation time for one, based on the super slow, too cutesy, will they/won't they info rollout?

What if someone with limited funds likes the Encore lineup better, but already blew their cash and/or paid leave on the first weekend? 

What if someone wishes to attend Encore, but is no longer able to select vacation dates, due to the super slow info rollout?
  • RatherStarvedRatherStarved Posts: 4,889
    3days said:
    I think the concept of Encore weekend is inconsiderate . While no one is being forced to go either weekend, it seems like it does the fan a disservice. 

Why not just make Ohana a 2 weekend festival, which would be easier to plan for?

Why all the secrecy about the upcoming Encore weekend, instead of confirming it, which would be easier to plan for?

What if someone wants to attend both weekends, but only allotted vacation time for one, based on the super slow, too cutesy, will they/won't they info rollout?

What if someone with limited funds likes the Encore lineup better, but already blew their cash and/or paid leave on the first weekend? 

What if someone wishes to attend Encore, but is no longer able to select vacation dates, due to the super slow info rollout?
    All valid points.  However they simply will sell as much Ohana as they can before announcing Encore.  Just like they always sell Europe before announcing NA.  It’s a business and it’s all about optimizing revenue.  As a fan sometimes we have to make decisions with imperfect info.  
    PJ: 2013: London (ON); Buffalo; 2014: Cincinnati; 2016: Sunrise, Miami, Toronto 1-2, Wrigley 2; 2018: London (UK) 1, Milan, Padova, Sea 2, Wrigley 1-2, Fenway 1-2; 2021: SHN, Ohana, Ohana Encore 1-2; 2022: LA 1-2, Phx, Oak 1-2, Fresno, Copenhagen, Hyde Park 1-2; Quebec, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto; MSG, Camden, Nashville, Louisville, St. Louis, OKC; 2023: St. Paul 1-2, Chicago 1-2; Fort Worth 2; Austin 1-2; 2024:  Vancouver 1-2, LV 1-2, LA 1-2, Napa, Barcelona 1-2

EV Solo: 2017 Louisville and Franklin, 2018 Ohana, 2019 Innings Fest, Berlin, Düsseldorf, Dublin and Ohana; 2021 Ohana Friday (from beach) and Saturday; 2022 Earthlings Newark; 2023 Innings Fest and Benoraya 1-2.

Gutted:  London 2 2018, Sacramento 2022, Noblesville 2023
  • aisleseatsaisleseats Posts: 1,403
    Monday I had no intention of going. This morning I bought tickets and airfare (I sprung for first class since it was relatively cheap). Funny how quickly things change.
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 29,362
    Monday I had no intention of going. This morning I bought tickets and airfare (I sprung for first class since it was relatively cheap). Funny how quickly things change.
    My wife is not really a fan of concerts in general, so we are flying first class and staying at the Waldorf.  That's what it takes...
  • tschavtschav Posts: 2,831
    Encore had its issues for a few reasons:
    - Small window to announce & plan, well after most people made travel plans for the first weekend
    - Crazy expensive to stay near it for the touring fans, and alternative lodging (shuttle busses, rideshare) wasn't too convenient
    - Still riding out what we thought was the end of Covid (pre-omicron)
    - Already had PJ the first weekend, less incentive to spend another $300 weekend pass for two more fest-length sets
    - Fanbase still didn't know how quick 2020 rescheduled dates would come, fest might not be their thing

I know I broke the bank to figure out how to do both weekends, and would've been completely content with doing just one. If they announce anything during the spring vs mid-summer I'll likely come in for Encore (regardless of lineup) as the first weekend doesn't line up with my schedule.
  • Red MosqitoRed Mosqito Posts: 1,239
    mrussel1 said:
    My wife is not really a fan of concerts in general, so we are flying first class and staying at the Waldorf.  That's what it takes...
    I feel your pain my man! If I’m traveling solo to a show, I can usually do it fairly on the cheap since I don’t really require all that much.

However whenever the wife is in tow, it’s a completely different ballgame. Case in point, I locked up a room at the Westin once the new Vegas date was announced in the event I won the ticket lottery. I win the lottery & secure two reserved seats and think I’m golden. That’s until the wife ask where we’re staying at while there. 😂🤣

Long story short, we’re now booked at the Cosmo for our stay and taking a small 30 seat commuter jet to Vegas (JSX.com if anyone is interested). 🤷🏼‍♂️😂 
  • drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,450
    They should just focus on making one Ohana weekend the best it can be. The idea of the encore was a cool one off thing, but to keep it up is a little silly to me 
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,775
    Yea, Encore to me was because 2020 was cancelled

Don’t know if it will or won’t happen again, but I’m not buying tix til I see the big picture

if they sell out, I’ll get in for cheaper anyway

• SS105464SS105464 Posts: 30
    Ohana 2018 - $106 single day pass
    Ohana 2022 - $196 single day pass

Almost double.  Kinda ridiculous!
  • The_Giant_MidgetThe_Giant_Midget Los Angeles Posts: 574
    The problem is the festival organizers said they wanted to expand this festival + they did an encore last year. Combine that with Stone’s comments, the vendors apparently booking that weekend and the other social media clues it kind of creates a mess. That being said I hope it happens
    Beacon '08
    Philly 2-4 '09
    Newark '10
    MSG 1+2 '10
    E.V. Beacon 1+2 '11
    Made in America Festival '12
    Worcester 1+2 '13
    Brooklyn 1+2 '13
    Global Citizens Festival '15
    MSG 1+2 '16
    Fenway Park 1+2 '16
    Ohana '17
    Home Shows 1+2 '18
    Ohana '18
    Ohana '19
    Sea Hear Now '21
    Ohana '21
    LA 1+2 '22
    Austin 1+2 '23
    Ohana '23
    Vegas 1+2 '24
    LA 1+2 '24
    MSG 1+2 '24
  • IndifferenceIndifference Posts: 2,679
    SS105464 said:

Hmmm are prices going up or down for everything these days?

SHOW COUNT: (157) 1990's=3, 2000's=53, 2010/20's=97, US=116, CAN=15, Europe=20 ,New Zealand=2, Australia=2
    Mexico=1, Colombia=1 

Upcoming:   Ohana x2  Aucklandx2, Gold Coast, Melbournex2

• BentleyspopBentleyspop Posts: 10,666
    SS105464 said:

I believe that last year vip was
    $1500
     This year $1400 but only 1 complimentary alcohol beverage 
  • IndifferenceIndifference Posts: 2,679
    SS105464 said:

I believe that last year vip was
    $1500
     This year $1400 but only 1 complimentary alcohol beverage 

maybe why VIP sold out already!

SHOW COUNT: (157) 1990's=3, 2000's=53, 2010/20's=97, US=116, CAN=15, Europe=20 ,New Zealand=2, Australia=2
    Mexico=1, Colombia=1 

Upcoming:   Ohana x2  Aucklandx2, Gold Coast, Melbournex2

• jgregory89jgregory89 Las Vegas Posts: 195
    SS105464 said:

Yeah I noticed that too.  That's a crazy price hike. 
  • matt84matt84 Posts: 713
    I hope if Encore happens the announcement will come soon. Like others have said, people need to make plans in advance - getting time off work etc.
  • DEGBTIDEGBTI Posts: 965
    here's my take. Its clear people are asking on social media about an encore weekend. Why, because of comments made last year by the band and expectations of it happening again. So that being said, the 10 club, the band, people close with the band and most of all, Ohana themselves know if  there is an encore. The fact that nobody has address it to shoot it down speaks volumes, its happening!. 
    mrussel1 said:
    I feel your pain my man! If I’m traveling solo to a show, I can usually do it fairly on the cheap since I don’t really require all that much.

However whenever the wife is in tow, it’s a completely different ballgame. Case in point, I locked up a room at the Westin once the new Vegas date was announced in the event I won the ticket lottery. I win the lottery & secure two reserved seats and think I’m golden. That’s until the wife ask where we’re staying at while there. 😂🤣

Long story short, we’re now booked at the Cosmo for our stay and taking a small 30 seat commuter jet to Vegas (JSX.com if anyone is interested). 🤷🏼‍♂️😂 
    Gotta do the right thing!

I don't mind paying first class for airfare.  I'm 6'  and 210lbs so flying coach is brutal cross country.  The Waldorf bill is steep though.  But she's pleased so...
  • gotthebottlegotthebottle Posts: 2,640
    UtahBolt said:
    Anyone do VIP in the past?  Was it worth it?  Some festivals the extra cost is worth it and some not so much.  We have not been to Ohana so wondering if anyone has any insight into it?  Thanks!
    Not worth it... most of VIP end up in general area cause their view is so limited. I see so many of them wandering out
  • gotthebottlegotthebottle Posts: 2,640
    Being local to So Cal has its privileges and last year 2 PJ shows in 2 nights was it! 
    I have heard from many in the industry that shows are not planned for the fans that travel, but for the fans in the area. 
  • 3days3days Posts: 1,158
    Being local to So Cal has its privileges and last year 2 PJ shows in 2 nights was it! 
    I have heard from many in the industry that shows are not planned for the fans that travel, but for the fans in the area. 
    That's fair. I originally viewed Ohana as a destination event, so the idea of Encore really rubbed me wrong. If they really don't expect that the majority of attendees will travel, it makes Encore weekend a more reasonable proposition.
  • Foriginal SinForiginal Sin Posts: 1,770
    Has ohana ever “sold out” I may wanna go be won’t know until mid sept
    Chicago 6/29/98, Alpine Valley(EV) 6/13/99, Alpine Valley 10/08/00, Chicago 10/09/00, Phoenix 10/20/00, Orlando 4/12/03, Tampa 4/13/03, San Diego 6/05/03, Vegas 6/06/03, Phoenix 6/07/03, Chicago 6/18/03, Alpine Valley 6/21/03, Orlando 10/08/04, D.C. 10/11/04, Chicago 5/16/06, Chicago 5/17/06, LA 7/12/08, Chicago 8/23/09, Chicago 8/24/09, LA 10/07/09, San Diego 10/09/09 (Front Row Center, Finally), Phoenix(EV) 11/4/11, Wrigley 7/19/13, Phoenix 11/19/13, Denver 10/22/14, Wrigley 8/20/16, Wrigley 8/22/16
  • DEGBTIDEGBTI Posts: 965
    just another thought regarding people who say CA is getting 7 shows so not much demand for Ohana Encore. That's crazy way to think. It's not a PJ only show. Two nights. At least 12 bands. Imagine if one of the nights were the chili peppers, or Miley, Bruce, KOL. They could easily pack the beach for the encore with the right lineup. 
  • matt84matt84 Posts: 713
    DEGBTI said:
    just another thought regarding people who say CA is getting 7 shows so not much demand for Ohana Encore. That's crazy way to think. It's not a PJ only show. Two nights. At least 12 bands. Imagine if one of the nights were the chili peppers, or Miley, Bruce, KOL. They could easily pack the beach for the encore with the right lineup. 
    Nothing would please me more than if Encore was headlined by Bruce and RHCP.
    matt84 said:
    DEGBTI said:
    If Bruce was there,  I'd fly back again or stay the week.  I'm dying for a Bruce tour.  It's time. 
  • JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,702
    mrussel1 said:
    matt84 said:
    DEGBTI said:
    If Bruce was there,  I'd fly back again or stay the week.  I'm dying for a Bruce tour.  It's time. 
    It would be a pass for me if Bruce was headlining. I am not a fan. 
  • The_Giant_MidgetThe_Giant_Midget Los Angeles Posts: 574
    didn't Ed say publicly he tried to get Bruce for Ohana once already? 
    Beacon '08
    Philly 2-4 '09
    Newark '10
    MSG 1+2 '10
    E.V. Beacon 1+2 '11
    Made in America Festival '12
    Worcester 1+2 '13
    Brooklyn 1+2 '13
    Global Citizens Festival '15
    MSG 1+2 '16
    Fenway Park 1+2 '16
    Ohana '17
    Home Shows 1+2 '18
    Ohana '18
    Ohana '19
    Sea Hear Now '21
    Ohana '21
    LA 1+2 '22
    Austin 1+2 '23
    Ohana '23
    Vegas 1+2 '24
    LA 1+2 '24
    MSG 1+2 '24
  • jstu39jstu39 Posts: 145
    I admit the Bruce rumor has me intrigued. When the Ohana Instagram account followed him I was hopeful, then he wasn’t in the lineup. So with Stone saying Painted Shield is playing Ohana and the social media clue I am holding out hope for an encore weekend again. Last years Encore was a blast and I’d go again. 
    mrussel1 said:
    matt84 said:
    DEGBTI said:
    You need to be baptized in the Church of Bruce. Once his music touches you, you're in forever. 
  • JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,702
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    matt84 said:
    DEGBTI said:
    You need to be baptized in the Church of Bruce. Once his music touches you, you're in forever. 
    I did go see him at a show because my Aunt had an extra ticket. Just didn’t do much for me.