Rip Taylor Hawkins

Comments

• cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,680
    Worst musician death for me in a long long time.   No disrespect to the great ones we’ve lost this past decade.  
  • Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 11,042
    The preliminary urinalysis says 10 different narcotics found in his body. THC, opioids, anti depressants, etc. 
    ugh

• GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 10,688
    The preliminary urinalysis says 10 different narcotics found in his body. THC, opioids, anti depressants, etc. 
    What’s the source of that info? I am not doubting you, it’s just that there is always so much speculation and misinformation at first. Remember what happened with Tom Petty. 
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,710
    GlowGirl said:
    What’s the source of that info? I am not doubting you, it’s just that there is always so much speculation and misinformation at first. Remember what happened with Tom Petty. 
    What happened with Petty? He died of fentanyl right?
  • CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,774
    GlowGirl said:
    Colombian authority’s did a urine analysis

being reported by multiple news outlets
  • nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 8,306
    Man.  I just can’t shake this feeling of sadness. 
  • Cropduster-80Cropduster-80 Posts: 2,034
    edited March 2022
    CROJAM95 said:
    GlowGirl said:

Drugs present in the body doesn’t necessarily establish a cause of death. 

If I have 2 drinks and die there will be alcohol  detected. Doesn’t mean that’s what killed me or even that I was even drunk. 

GlowGirl said:
    I was talking about the misinformation. First they said he died. Then they said he was still alive. It took a while to get the story right. 
  • patkelly12patkelly12 Posts: 361
    CROJAM95 said:
    GlowGirl said:

Drugs present in the body doesn’t necessarily establish a cause of death. 

If I have 2 drinks and die there will be alcohol  detected. Doesn’t mean that’s what killed me or even that I was even drunk. 

I don't understand this cuckold response of "softening" the blow. Telling the truth about what happened may save someone's life someday. But I ain't surprised.
  • alphawolfalphawolf DelMarVa/Big Sky Posts: 646
    edited March 2022
    nicknyr15 said:
    Man.  I just can’t shake this feeling of sadness. 
    Im right there with you 😞 
    1996 - Columbia Maryland, Hartford

1998 - DC RFK Stadium, Virginia Beach, Columbia Maryland, DC Constitution Hall
    2000 - Virginia Beach, Camden I+II, Columbia Maryland

2002 - Seattle Key Arena I+II

2003 - Raleigh, Charlotte, State College, Bristow, Camden II

2004 - Asheville

2006 - Boston II, Camden I+II, DC

2008 - Virginia Beach, Camden I+II, DC

2009 - Philadelphia I, II, III, IV

2010 - Bristow

2013 - Philadelphia II, Baltimore, Charlottesville, Charlotte

2022 - Camden

• Jimmydean55Jimmydean55 Posts: 1,274
    The report I saw said the paramedics were responding to someone complaining of chest pains. We all know his struggles. Could’ve just been everything caught up with him. Regardless, it doesn’t matter. He’s gone. This one is hitting pretty hard. RIP Taylor. 
  • Go AnimalGo Animal Posts: 5,613
    I remember seeing Foo open for RHCP back in 2000 (blew the Peppers away performance wise) and every time Dave turned to jam w/ the band he was jumping up on the riser & engaging w/ Taylor… to the extent he was almost ignoring the rest of the band. Their connection was so obvious and impressive and fun to witness, it was my biggest takeaway from that night. 

Saw that tour in Carbondale and St. Louis.   SO much energy
    Orlando, here. And agreed on all points.

PJ - 09/23/98: West Palm Beach II, 08/12/00: Tampa, 04/12/03: Orlando, 04/13/03: Tampa, 06/12/08: Tampa, 06/27/08: Hartford, 09/22/09: Seattle II, 04/11/16: Tampa, 05/01 & 05/02/16: MSG I & II, 09/18/21: Sea Hear Now, 10/01 & 10/02/21: Ohana Encore I & II, 05/06 & 05/07/22: Los Angeles I & II, 09/11/22: MSG, 09/16/22: Nashville, 09/02/23: St. Paul II, 09/07/23: Chicago II, 09/18 & 09/19/23: Austin I & II, 05/16 & 05/18/24: Las Vegas I & II, 08/29 & 08/31/24: Wrigley Field I & II, 09/03 & 09/04/24: MSG I & II

EV - 08/04 & 08/05/08: (Eddie solo, w/Liam Finn) NYC I & II, 11/27 & 11/28/12: (Eddie solo, w/Glen Hansard) Orlando I & II, 02/09 & 02/10/22: (Eddie & the Earthlings) Chicago I & II, 09/30/23: (Eddie & the Earthlings) Ohana Festival

Song Wishlist: Oceans, Brother, Alone, Let Me Sleep, full W.M.A., Hold On, Bugs/all of Vitalogy, Gremmie Out Of Control, Mankind, Around The Bend (full band), The Long Road, Don't Gimme No Lip, Pilate, Push Me Pull Me, All Those Yesterdays, Rival, Parting Ways, Ghost, Bu$hleaguer, WWS, Parachutes, Army Reserve, low octave Driftin', Strangest Tribe, Other Side, Undone, Fatal, Hitchhiker, Education, Black Red Yellow, Of the Earth, Love Reign O'er Me, Gonna See My Friend, Amongst the Waves, Santa Cruz, Infallible, Yellow Moon, Alright, Comes Then Goes, Got to Give, and the Mamasan Trilogy.

Wanted Posters: WPB '98, Tampa/WPB '00, Tampa '03, EV Batmobile '08        ISO: any picks, or setlists from any of my shows!
  • ZodZod Posts: 10,517
    Well, they did say before if any of the FF died, the band would be done. Easy to say when you don’t expect it to happen. Who knows. 

Still processing this. Going to The Watchmen tonight. I’m sure it will be a touch somber. 
    I don’t think the foo fighters exist anymore. I think they could replace some people, I don’t see them replacing Taylor
    I think that's a hard choice to make.  Walking away from a band that can sell out stadiums and arenas, to doing something smaller... I imagine they sit on it for a while until they figure things out..  it ain't easy making decisions like that.    Robert Plant would probably be a rarity.
  • BrainofBGABrainofBGA Posts: 4,159
    today was a cold day in the sun…RIP Taylor Hawkins 
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,180
    GlowGirl said:
    GlowGirl said:
    I was talking about the misinformation. First they said he died. Then they said he was still alive. It took a while to get the story right. 
    I thought Petty died of a heart attack? 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • GlowGirl said:
    GlowGirl said:
    I am pretty sure he was addicted to pain killers at the time of his death. A heart attack may have did him in but the drugs were a main factor in his early death.
  • facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    Yeah according to his wiki page, Tom Petty died of mixed drugs toxicity.

I heard from a family member who works in the industry and who has a colleague working out in South America at the moment, that Taylor's death was drug related, and also that there was a relapse a couple of years ago that was kept under wraps. I think the most recent Rolling Stone interview he did was very telling. It painted quite a sad picture of someone really struggling with anxiety and the pressure to still perform at such a high level, whilst never truly feeling worthy of playing drums in a band with the 'greatest drummer in the world'. I know it's not nice to speculate, and perhaps now isn't the time to comment, but I think this is part of the problem, there never seems to be a good time to talk about mental health problems.
  • ZodZod Posts: 10,517
    GlowGirl said:
    GlowGirl said:

From how I understand it, he had fractured hip and decided to tough out the tour, and was using drugs to hide the pain. Then right after the tour had an accidental overdose from mixing stuff.

Bums me out.  In hindsight I don't think anyone would of minded if he took the tour off to heal, but it's probably harder being a musician in the moment and making that call :(
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,180
    Zod said:
    GlowGirl said:
    GlowGirl said:

From how I understand it, he had fractured hip and decided to tough out the tour, and was using drugs to hide the pain. Then right after the tour had an accidental overdose from mixing stuff.

Bums me out.  In hindsight I don't think anyone would of minded if he took the tour off to heal, but it's probably harder being a musician in the moment and making that call :(
    Yes now I remember the circumstances of his passing! 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 13,429
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4s9svpOPyc0

I never got to see him play with The Foo Fighters but he put on an amazing performance last year at Ohana. That last couple of minutes of this song was all him and still gives me chills. Gone way too young. 
  • NWOntarioNWOntario Toronto Posts: 826
    As someone who doesn't have a stake in the band's future whatsoever, what a brutal decision to have to make. I think everyone would understand if they called it quits; I think everyone would understand if they soldiered on. But it's a brutal call either way.

Listening to the Foos has helped, kind of. "Walk" is a gut punch.
    Minneapolis 1998 | Jones Beach I & II, Montreal, and Toronto 2000 | Buffalo, State College, Toronto, Montreal and Hershey 2003 | Boston I & II 2004 | Thunder Bay, Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa and Toronto 2005 | Toronto I & II 2006 | The Vic and Lollapalooza 2007 | Calgary and Toronto 2009 | PJ20 I & II, Toronto I & II, Ottawa, Calgary and Edmonton 2011 | London, Chicago, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver and Seattle 2013 | Ottawa and Toronto I & II 2016 | Chicago I & II 2018 | Ottawa, Hamilton and Toronto 2022
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,525
    edited March 2022
    So The Watchmen show went as expected. Heavy feeling. As most of you don’t know the band, their singer (Danny) is one of a kind. Voice of an angel type. My wife asked me yesterday afternoon if I thought they’d play a Foos song; I told her I doubted it (different style), but I could see Danny doing part of My Hero a capella. He does at least one song a capella every show. Well, wouldntcha know it, middle of song three, he starts up
    and does a few lines of My Hero on his own. I immediately started to tear up. 
    new album "Cigarettes" out Fall 2024!

www.headstonesband.com

• lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 13,498
    Im not a fan at all but i understand  grief and sorrow and loss. And addictions  and anxiety. 
    So very sad to see children lose  a father in any circumstances.  Chris Cornell  was my hero i adore that man so i feel what the true fans feel here. I still cry listening to c.c 
     Love your loved ones more.  And tell them you love them more
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • I’m not a FF guy, never have been so from someone on the periphery, my guess is they soldier on after a brief break and make the drummer seat a guest rotation. 
    Sorry for all feeling this loss. 
  • nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 8,306
    NWOntario said:
    As someone who doesn't have a stake in the band's future whatsoever, what a brutal decision to have to make. I think everyone would understand if they called it quits; I think everyone would understand if they soldiered on. But it's a brutal call either way.

Tried listening yesterday. Threw on my favorite “Aurora”. Had to shut it off. 
  • YourDirtisMyfoodYourDirtisMyfood Posts: 4,633
    edited March 2022
    I don't normally listen to Sirius Satellite radio anymore (had the Sirius gadget in my truck many years ago), but when the Earthlings live Beacon show was announced as going to be broadcast, I logged on to hear some of it.  Around the same time, the famed director Ivan Reitman had just passed and I knew he had a huge connection with Howard Stern, since Ivan backed and produced Howard's movie, Private Parts.  So when Ivan passed, I made a point to listen to Stern that day to hear what he had to say about him.

Either that same day or during that week, Howard had Taylor and Dave on to promote something and since I still had my free pass still running for Sirius, I tuned in for a bit.  You could tell the camaraderie with Stern, Dave and Taylor was authentic and they all just got along like best buds.

I am so grateful to have seen the Foos play at Fenway in 2018 with a special appearance by Joe Walsh.  I got to see Alanis a few times in 1996, including at UMASS-Amherst, and I'd bet Taylor was on tour during those shows, although I can't remember.

Just truly awful hearing this news.  I pray for his family and friends.  I, of course feel so bad for Dave and Pat Smear, who also went through this with the passing of Kurt.  

Here's a clip from that Stern interview, one of Taylor's last interviews I'm guessing, where they talk about Paul McCartney inducting them into the Rock n Roll HOF.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfKherztGfE
    Post edited by YourDirtisMyfood on
    nicknyr15 said:
    NWOntario said:

Tried listening yesterday. Threw on my favorite “Aurora”. Had to shut it off. 
    I love the Foos. When I was running yesterday "These Days" came up on my running playlist. I listened to it. It made me sad, but also helped in a way.

• cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,680
    Big loss for the entire genre of rock.  There’s so few 90s and newer rock bands that are still putting out new music AND capable of playing huge arenas and ballparks.  Foos, Green Day, PJ.  Im leaving someone out but that’s such a small list.    

He was 50% of the Foo Fighters personality IMO.  
  • JimmyVJimmyV Posts: 19,123
    I don't normally listen to Sirius Satellite radio anymore (had the Sirius gadget in my truck many years ago), but when the Earthlings live Beacon show was announced as going to be broadcast, I logged on to hear some of it.  Around the same time, the famed director Ivan Reitman had just passed and I knew he had a huge connection with Howard Stern, since Ivan backed and produced Howard's movie, Private Parts.  So when Ivan passed, I made a point to listen to Stern that day to hear what he had to say about him.

Either that same day or during that week, Howard had Taylor and Dave on to promote something and since I still had my free pass still running for Sirius, I tuned in for a bit.  You could tell the camaraderie with Stern, Dave and Taylor was authentic and they all just got along like best buds.

I am so grateful to have seen the Foos play at Fenway in 2018 with a special appearance by Joe Walsh.  I got to see Alanis a few times in 1996, including at UMASS-Amherst, and I'd bet Taylor was on tour during those shows, although I can't remember.

Just truly awful hearing this news.  I pray for his family and friends.  I, of course feel so bad for Dave and Pat Smear, who also went through this with the passing of Kurt.  

Here's a clip from that Stern interview, one of Taylor's last interviews I'm guessing, where they talk about Paul McCartney inducting them into the Rock n Roll HOF.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfKherztGfE
    I was at that same Alanis show at the Mullins Center. 

"...I changed by not changing at all..."