Rip Taylor Hawkins

Comments

• JH6056JH6056 Posts: 2,427
    NWOntario said:
    if I had to take a guess based on absolutely nothing, I say the Foos are retired for the time being. Until at least Dave is ready to play those songs again, if ever. Maybe a new Them Crooked Vultures record will be next, but it will still be a while I think. 
    I think so, too, and I might go so far as to say (also based on absolutely nothing) that they're done done. Taylor Hawkins meant way too much to that band, not just as a musician but as a fucking force of nature, and I just can't see them bringing in a new drummer; he or she might have the chops, but no one else is Taylor Hawkins (and that's before getting into Dave's and his friendship, ugh...). Dave Grohl's favourite band is Led Zeppelin. Led Zeppelin lost its drummer. I think that's his road map.

The flip side to that: bringing in a new drummer, making Dave the focal point, and touring in memory of Taylor. It'd be similar to what the E Street Band did following the deaths of Danny Federici and Clarence Clemons. The Foos have a lot of songs about living life and starting life over again, and those songs might break them (and us) on the road - but it might also be a path towards healing (imagine hearing "Walk" in a stadium right now? Or "These Days"? Or basically any song from Wasting Light, let alone any other album from their catalogue?). I dunno. I'm way more upset by this than I thought I would be. 
    I completely agree. It doesn't mean Dave or even Dave & rest of Foos will never play Foo songs again, or never play together, but I really doubt they will continue as the Foo Fighters.

Not because they think Taylor wouldn't have wanted them to... but because THEY may not want to.

And many have pointed out that they seem to love touring, it's a huge business enterprise now, and playing stadiums and arenas is not easily come by.  All true.

And... they also got to do it and have one HELL of a good time doing it, for 25 yrs.  Sometimes, some changes hurt too much.  I won't be surprised if they stop being the Foos but who knows what greatness will come next. Or maybe they will go on... hard to tell, but what an awful situation to be in TWICE for Grohl.

No matter what, the Foos fan community is pretty awesome, hopefully overalll there will be great understanding no matter what they do.

But I also agree, not expecting ANYTHING, no live shows or anything for awhile.  Unless Dave channels his grief and other emotions into a new album the way he did when Kurt died and he created the 1st Foo Fighters music... but even then we might not actually hear it or experience it live for a long while.
  • SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 6,436
    Heavy hearts and tragic sudden death sadness

• JimmyVJimmyV Posts: 19,123
    May be an image of text that says It is with great sadness that Foo Fighters confirm the cancellation of all upcoming tour dates in light of the staggering loss of our brother Taylor Hawkins Were sorry for share in the disappointment that we wont be seeing one another as planned Instead lets take this time to grieve to heal to pull our loved ones close and to appreciate all the music and memories  made together and With Love Foo Fighters Fy

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 10,688
    tish said:
    Heavy hearts and tragic sudden death sadness

:'( Haven't gotten my cancellation yet for the New York City show in July, but I am sure it is coming.

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,525
    yeah, I haven't received my email yet, and I actually thought it would be a bit more time before they cancelled all shows, but not a surprise. Can't believe Rolling Stone actually reached out to the band to see if they'd still be playing the Grammy's this weekend. Come on. 
    new album "Cigarettes" out Fall 2024!

www.headstonesband.com

• yeah, I haven't received my email yet, and I actually thought it would be a bit more time before they cancelled all shows, but not a surprise. Can't believe Rolling Stone actually reached out to the band to see if they'd still be playing the Grammy's this weekend. Come on. 

Bad taste by Rolling Stone that's for sure. However, I wouldn't be surprised if Dave Grohl summoned the testicular fortitude to honor Taylor by playing an acoustic song.

As others have said and as I have said earlier in the thread. The Foos are done for the foreseeable future. I think Dave goes solo or goes back to drumming for a few years. Then maybe Foos come back in 5 years or so. They don't need the dough and they all have side projects they can work on to keep themselves busy.
  • Cropduster-80Cropduster-80 Posts: 2,034
    edited March 2022
    yeah, I haven't received my email yet, and I actually thought it would be a bit more time before they cancelled all shows, but not a surprise. Can't believe Rolling Stone actually reached out to the band to see if they'd still be playing the Grammy's this weekend. Come on. 
    Just a guess but insurance may have forced the decision sooner rather than later. It’s still a business and I’m sure there is a ton of costs to be recouped for a tour not happening. Not just by the band 

The only times I have personally dealt with death in the family, the financial issues always come up way too soon
    Post edited by Cropduster-80 on
    Just a guess but insurance may have forced the decision sooner rather than later. It’s still a business and I’m sure there is a ton of costs to be recouped for a tour not happening. Not just by the band 

The only times I have personally dealt with death in the family, the financial issues always come up way too soon
    true enough. 

www.headstonesband.com

• ZodZod Posts: 10,517
    This is generally what I expected.  Cancel the upcoming tours, grieve, figure life out for a while, then reassess where your at and where you want to go when you've had time to deal with what happened.

Totally bummed, as it's pretty rare for us to a Foo Fighters caliber band playing our small city, but completely understand.   The message does give me hope they might carry on one day....  wouldn't be the same without Taylor...  but It'll take them time to figure out if they to take the Robert Plant approach or everyone else's approach.
  • 77777777 Posts: 163
    JH6056 said:
    NWOntario said:
    if I had to take a guess based on absolutely nothing, I say the Foos are retired for the time being. Until at least Dave is ready to play those songs again, if ever. Maybe a new Them Crooked Vultures record will be next, but it will still be a while I think. 
    I think so, too, and I might go so far as to say (also based on absolutely nothing) that they're done done. Taylor Hawkins meant way too much to that band, not just as a musician but as a fucking force of nature, and I just can't see them bringing in a new drummer; he or she might have the chops, but no one else is Taylor Hawkins (and that's before getting into Dave's and his friendship, ugh...). Dave Grohl's favourite band is Led Zeppelin. Led Zeppelin lost its drummer. I think that's his road map.

The flip side to that: bringing in a new drummer, making Dave the focal point, and touring in memory of Taylor. It'd be similar to what the E Street Band did following the deaths of Danny Federici and Clarence Clemons. The Foos have a lot of songs about living life and starting life over again, and those songs might break them (and us) on the road - but it might also be a path towards healing (imagine hearing "Walk" in a stadium right now? Or "These Days"? Or basically any song from Wasting Light, let alone any other album from their catalogue?). I dunno. I'm way more upset by this than I thought I would be. 
    I completely agree. It doesn't mean Dave or even Dave & rest of Foos will never play Foo songs again, or never play together, but I really doubt they will continue as the Foo Fighters.

Not because they think Taylor wouldn't have wanted them to... but because THEY may not want to.

And many have pointed out that they seem to love touring, it's a huge business enterprise now, and playing stadiums and arenas is not easily come by.  All true.

And... they also got to do it and have one HELL of a good time doing it, for 25 yrs.  Sometimes, some changes hurt too much.  I won't be surprised if they stop being the Foos but who knows what greatness will come next. Or maybe they will go on... hard to tell, but what an awful situation to be in TWICE for Grohl.

No matter what, the Foos fan community is pretty awesome, hopefully overalll there will be great understanding no matter what they do.

But I also agree, not expecting ANYTHING, no live shows or anything for awhile.  Unless Dave channels his grief and other emotions into a new album the way he did when Kurt died and he created the 1st Foo Fighters music... but even then we might not actually hear it or experience it live for a long while.
    Twice for Pat too.
    people keep mentioning the Zeppelin thing....being a fan but not knowing the true history of LZ....does anyone think they were on their way to calling it quits anyway? or were they still a full juggernaut, loved each other, loved touring, that just got stopped in its tracks? or was Bonham's death just the final straw?

www.headstonesband.com

• GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 10,688

Saddened, but not surprised 😢
    I'm not sure.. but when you've read stuff about Plant, it sounded like he just got too sad doing it without Bonham on the drums.  It's why (aside from a few very rare occasions) have never retoured.   Plant never had a desire to do Zeppelin without Bonham there.  I guess they must of been tight.

Which causes earie similarities to this situation... but one can hope for a better outcome :(
    Zod said:
    I'm not sure.. but when you've read stuff about Plant, it sounded like he just got too sad doing it without Bonham on the drums.  It's why (aside from a few very rare occasions) have never retoured.   Plant never had a desire to do Zeppelin without Bonham there.  I guess they must of been tight.

Which causes earie similarities to this situation... but one can hope for a better outcome :(
    Did they attempt to continue without him and it was too hard? or was it a "he's gone, we're done"?

www.headstonesband.com

• mattcozmattcoz Posts: 2,202
    Yeah, you'd think they could just reach out to the Grammy's instead. Leave the band alone.

• cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,680
    Great weather today.  

Went for a drive and blasted:

My Hero
    Best of You
    Walk
    Wheels

felt great.  Long Live Taylor Hawkins.  
    Zod said:

Did they attempt to continue without him and it was too hard? or was it a "he's gone, we're done"?
    It was the latter, He's gone, we're done.   I think they've reunited 4 times since.  Live Aid, a record label celebration, RROF, and that O2 concert.   And I think it was mostly Plant.  I think the other other two would of reunited and toured eventually, but Robert Plant still hasn't gotten over it :(
    Zod said:
    Zod said:

It was the latter, He's gone, we're done.   I think they've reunited 4 times since.  Live Aid, a record label celebration, RROF, and that O2 concert.   And I think it was mostly Plant.  I think the other other two would of reunited and toured eventually, but Robert Plant still hasn't gotten over it :(
    but still odd that he was ok with writing, recording, and touring with Page, but not Jones. I'm sure they must have played some Zep at those shows. 

www.headstonesband.com

• NWOntarioNWOntario Toronto Posts: 826
    This is probably morbid, so my apologies in advance - but I wonder if the band (or bands in general, for that matter) have the "what happens if one of us dies?" conversation. I know the Tragically Hip had it in light of Gord Downie's cancer diagnosis, but that's a bit different. (Gord wanted the band to continue after he was gone; the rest of the members refused.) There's also the matter of KISS musing about whether the band could just continue with new members even after Paul and Gene are gone...
    Minneapolis 1998 | Jones Beach I & II, Montreal, and Toronto 2000 | Buffalo, State College, Toronto, Montreal and Hershey 2003 | Boston I & II 2004 | Thunder Bay, Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa and Toronto 2005 | Toronto I & II 2006 | The Vic and Lollapalooza 2007 | Calgary and Toronto 2009 | PJ20 I & II, Toronto I & II, Ottawa, Calgary and Edmonton 2011 | London, Chicago, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver and Seattle 2013 | Ottawa and Toronto I & II 2016 | Chicago I & II 2018 | Ottawa, Hamilton and Toronto 2022
    NWOntario said:
    This is probably morbid, so my apologies in advance - but I wonder if the band (or bands in general, for that matter) have the "what happens if one of us dies?" conversation. I know the Tragically Hip had it in light of Gord Downie's cancer diagnosis, but that's a bit different. (Gord wanted the band to continue after he was gone; the rest of the members refused.) There's also the matter of KISS musing about whether the band could just continue with new members even after Paul and Gene are gone...
    I mentioned this here or in the FF thread, but apparently they did. They said if any of the members died, FF would cease to exist. however, we all know that bands decide this thinking that won't happen until it no longer matters, so who knows what they'll actually do. 

www.headstonesband.com

• BF89905BF89905 Posts: 1,408
    Great weather today.  

Went for a drive and blasted:

My Hero
    Best of You
    Walk
    Wheels

felt great.  Long Live Taylor Hawkins.  
    Four great songs
  • garland09garland09 Posts: 833
    I say take a break get things right then get Dave A behind the drum kit and get going again
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,889
    garland09 said:
    I say take a break get things right then get Dave A behind the drum kit and get going again

With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • PapPap Posts: 28,759
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1&2 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024
  • PapPap Posts: 28,759
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1&2 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024
    PJ_Soul said:
    garland09 said:

haha, I also had this thought....but chose not to say it out loud for obvious reasons. 

www.headstonesband.com

NWOntario said:
    I mentioned this here or in the FF thread, but apparently they did. They said if any of the members died, FF would cease to exist. however, we all know that bands decide this thinking that won't happen until it no longer matters, so who knows what they'll actually do. 

Yah that would be super tough.  It's one thing to have in a casual conversation when it feels like it's a far away problem.  It's another when your confronted with the issue long before you ever thought you would.

I know my perspective and feelings on things change all the time.   Living through things is often different then when you plan for them in advance :(
  • cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,680
    Like someone said before (maybe Zod) it’s so tough to just suddenly drop from the stadium circuit.  As a career it’s the pinnacle of cash and comfort when it comes to touring.  Dave is an alien to have come out of Nirvana and form a band that plays way bigger venues than Nirvana ever could.  

FF are such a Dave vehicle.  It’s just tough because Taylor’s personality was so big and his drumming was so well known.  Hard to know.   Just truly bums me out like no other music loss in such a long time.  

• KL159781KL159781 Posts: 118
    Zod said:

They announced their breakup a couple months after Bonham’s death in 1980 but reunited at Live Aid with Phil Collins and Tony Thompson on drums. What doesn’t get talked about much is that after Live Aid they actually took steps towards continuing on with Tony Thompson as their drummer. Here’s a bit of what Robert Plant said about those 1986 rehearsals:

Robert Plant interviewed in Rolling Stone #522 3/24/88:

RS: What's the real story about the secret rehearsals you, Page and John Paul Jones reportedly held with drummer Tony Thompson after Live Aid? How far did you really get in forming a new Led Zeppelin?

RP: We had a week together with Tony Thompson. This was the following January,'86. The guy who's now my tour manager was brought in to look after the drums, to help Tony Thompson leave Heathrow Airport and travel to this secret destination.

RS: Where was this secret destination?

RP: Isn't it crazy? "Secret destination." It was off the motorway near Peter Gabriel's house in Bath. We took a village hall, filled it with parachutes to take all the angles and corners off the room and set up the equipment. Page duly arrived, and we plugged in. But as much as he wanted to do it, it wasn't time for Pagey to do that. He had just finished the second Firm album, and I think he was a bit confused about what he was doing. And the interesting thing is that after seven years of being without him and fending for myself, I'm a lot more forthright. When I reach a conclusion, I immediately react to it. Way back in the old days, this may have taken a week of mutual discussion. One person couldn't make the decision of four people.

If you want to hear more details on this, here’s a link:

https://forums.ledzeppelin.com/topic/12882-jones-page-plant-and-thompson-in-1986/

• pdalowskypdalowsky Posts: 15,047
    edited March 2022
    Zod said:
    Zod said:

Live8 then saw the mighty Floyd :)