Rip Taylor Hawkins

Comments

• facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    RIP. 
    Had no idea he was the drummer for Sass Jordan pre-Alanis. I probably saw him play pre-Foo. 

Can’t imagine what this does to Dave. I’m guessing the show in September probably will be off. 
    I bet the Foo Fighters continue on and play by September.  These guys won’t want to start from
    scratch at this point in their careers, and Dave won’t want to play Foo songs for the next 20 years without the other guys I imagine.  

In my opinion the foos are done for the foreseeable future. I think Dave will finally do a full scale nirvana reunion. Maybe do another them crooked vultures record or maybe a solo record. I don’t think he touches the foos for a long time. Taylor was as much of a star of that band as Dave. 

Edit: those that think Dave will carry on, think of it this way. If anything happened to Jeff, stone or mike do you think Pearl Jam would carry on? Hell, I don’t think they would carry on if anything happened to Matt either. If someone chose to retire that would be a different story. 
    I don't know, Dave seems to use music to process his feelings - remember he recorded the first Foos record 6 months after Kurt died and released it the next year.

• ZoSoTimZoSoTim Posts: 944
    RIP. 
    Had no idea he was the drummer for Sass Jordan pre-Alanis. I probably saw him play pre-Foo. 

Can’t imagine what this does to Dave. I’m guessing the show in September probably will be off. 
    I bet the Foo Fighters continue on and play by September.  These guys won’t want to start from
    scratch at this point in their careers, and Dave won’t want to play Foo songs for the next 20 years without the other guys I imagine.  
    Just hope he is getting a lot of support now. He’s probably not even back home yet.
    Was just saying to my wife how hard it must be, being so far from home and family right now. 
    One positive is that Dave’s daughter Violet tours with the Foos as a background singer now so at least he has some family with him. 
    Dallas, TX (November 15, 2013)
    Chicago 1 (August 20, 2016)
    Chicago 2 (August 22, 2016)
    Ft. Worth 1 (September 13, 2023)
    Ft. Worth 2 (September 15, 2023)
  • iwasatpj20iwasatpj20 Posts: 3,410
    I saw the Foos four different times and all were fun shows.  Never expected to read about Taylor passing.
    2000 - Chicago, IL
    2003 - Champaign, IL
    2006 - Chicago, IL 1 & 2
    2007 - Chicago, IL Lollapalooza
    2009 - Chicago, IL 1 & 2
    2010 - St. Louis, MO
    2011 - East Troy, WI 1 & 2 (PJ20 Destination Weekend)
    2012 - Atlanta, GA, Missoula, MT
    2013 - Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field), Dallas, TX, Oklahoma City, OK
    2014 - St. Louis, MO, Tulsa, OK, Moline, IL (No Code, IL), Saint Paul, MN, Milwaukee, WI (Yield, WI)
    2016 - Greenville, SC (Vs, SC), Raleigh, NC, Columbia, SC, Boston, MA (Fenway Park 1), Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field 1 & 2)
    2018 - Seattle, WA (Safeco Field 2), Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field 1 & 2), Boston, MA (Fenway Park 2)
    2020 - Nashville, TN, St. Louis, MO, Oklahoma City, OK, Phoenix, AZ, ??
    2022 - Nashville, TN, St. Louis, MO, Oklahoma City, OK, Phoenix, AZ, Las Vegas, NV
    2023 - St. Paul, MN 2, Fort Worth, TX 2, Austin, TX 1, and Austin, TX 2
    2024 - Portland, OR and Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field 1 & 2)

2012 - Temple of the Dog East Troy, WI (PJ20 Destination Weekend)
    2014 - Soundgarden Tinley Park, IL (with Nine Inch Nails)
    2014 - Alice in Chains Davenport, IA
    2016 - Chris Cornell Solo Madison, WI and Peoria, IL (official hometown show)
    2016 - Temple of the Dog San Francisco, CA (both shows)
    2017 - Soundgarden Dallas (cancelled) RIP Chris Cornell
    2018 - Smashing Pumpkins Chicago, IL (first show)
    2019 - Alice in Chains Milwaukee, WI
    2022 - Jerry Cantrell Chicago, IL
    2023 - Jerry Cantrell Milwaukee, WI

RIP Andrew Wood, Kurt Cobain, Layne Staley, and Chris Cornell

RIP Mom (may your star shine the brightest in the sky, our family loves and misses you very much, we'll meet again)

• Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 11,042
    I remember seeing Foo open for RHCP back in 2000 (blew the Peppers away performance wise) and every time Dave turned to jam w/ the band he was jumping up on the riser & engaging w/ Taylor… to the extent he was almost ignoring the rest of the band. Their connection was so obvious and impressive and fun to witness, it was my biggest takeaway from that night. 

• 100 Pacer100 Pacer Posts: 8,901

To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Missoula, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
  • SH211703SH211703 Posts: 55
    RIP. 

In my opinion the foos are done for the foreseeable future. I think Dave will finally do a full scale nirvana reunion. Maybe do another them crooked vultures record or maybe a solo record. I don’t think he touches the foos for a long time. Taylor was as much of a star of that band as Dave. 

Edit: those that think Dave will carry on, think of it this way. If anything happened to Jeff, stone or mike do you think Pearl Jam would carry on? Hell, I don’t think they would carry on if anything happened to Matt either. If someone chose to retire that would be a different story. 
    I don't know, Dave seems to use music to process his feelings - remember he recorded the first Foos record 6 months after Kurt died and released it the next year.

Such a loss! One of my favorite shows was Foo Fighters in NYC. Guess I should hold off on buying sold out stub hub tickets for Foo Fighters at Merriweather in MD??  Does this tour get postponed? 
  • FR181798FR181798 Posts: 2,166
    nicknyr15 said:
    RIP. 

Not the same. FF is Dave’s band. Started that way and will always be that way. Pearl Jam, as much as EV might take the lead, isn’t his band. 
    True that FF started out as Dave's band but I'm pretty sure Taylor saved them when he joined. Truly believe they wouldnt have lasted otherwise, he brought something that's hard to describe. They had a new energy when he joined. Just really sad news.
  • facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    SH211703 said:
    RIP. 

Such a loss! One of my favorite shows was Foo Fighters in NYC. Guess I should hold off on buying sold out stub hub tickets for Foo Fighters at Merriweather in MD??  Does this tour get postponed? 
    If they do carry on I wouldn't think it would be for a year or so. I've got tickets for a show this summer, which almost certainly won't happen. 
  • I remember seeing Foo open for RHCP back in 2000 (blew the Peppers away performance wise) and every time Dave turned to jam w/ the band he was jumping up on the riser & engaging w/ Taylor… to the extent he was almost ignoring the rest of the band. Their connection was so obvious and impressive and fun to witness, it was my biggest takeaway from that night. 

Saw that tour in Carbondale and St. Louis.   SO much energy
    07-02-98, 10-11-00, 04-22-03, 04-23-03, 06-09-03, 06-10-03, 06-18-03, 06-21-03, 06-22-03, 10-02-04, 10-03-04, 10-05-04, 05-16-06, 05-17-06, 05-22-06, 06-24-06, 06-29-06
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,525
    I did not have “Richard Marx texting with Taylor Hawkins” on my Foo Fighters Bingo card. 
    new album "Cigarettes" out Fall 2024!

www.headstonesband.com

Well, they did say before if any of the FF died, the band would be done. Easy to say when you don’t expect it to happen. Who knows. 

Still processing this. Going to The Watchmen tonight. I’m sure it will be a touch somber. 

www.headstonesband.com

• SpartanacusSpartanacus Posts: 828
    So sad...and on the day of the Dream Widow album release (a bit too metal for my tastes, but the song Cold is definitely a keeper).  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPTEdMBuNek
    19 Pearl Jam shows and still searching for Deep!
    1998 (2) - East Lansing & Auburn Hills; 2000 (2) - Tampa & Noblesville; 2003 (2) - Lexington & Noblesville; 2006 (1) - Cincinnati; 2007 (1) - Chicago (Lollapalooza); 2008 (Ed in Milwaukee); 2009 (1) - Chicago; 2010 (1) - Noblesville; 2013 (3) - San Diego & Los Angeles I & II; 2016 (Temple of the Dog in Los Angeles); 2017 (Ed at Ohana in Dana Point);
    2021 (3) - Dana Point I, II & III; 2022 (3) - San Diego & Los Angeles I & II; 2025 - Southern U.S. Tour Please!
  • OfThePearlOfThePearl Posts: 769
    Stunned and sad about Taylor. In a blink, gone. All that light and energy. Such a beast on the kit. Glad I got to see him at Ohana. Oh my gosh, he played for Sass Jordan? May have seen him then too, early 90s shows.

Condolences to his reeling family and Foos. R.I.P.
  • PapPap Posts: 28,759
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1&2 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,660
    I remember seeing Foo open for RHCP back in 2000 (blew the Peppers away performance wise) and every time Dave turned to jam w/ the band he was jumping up on the riser & engaging w/ Taylor… to the extent he was almost ignoring the rest of the band. Their connection was so obvious and impressive and fun to witness, it was my biggest takeaway from that night. 

No question, Talyor was Clarence to Dave's Bruce.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • GibsonGibson Posts: 2,633
    This one has not registered yet. 
    1998: Barrie  2000: Toronto  2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Toronto  2006: Toronto 1&2, Paris, Milan, Torino, Pistoia  2009: Calgary, Vancouver  2011: Canada  2013: London, Wrigley, Philly 1&2  2014: St. Louis, ACL 1, Detroit  2016: Lexington, Quebec, Ottawa, Toronto 1&2, Fenway 1&2, Wrigley 1&2  2017: EV - Louisville  2018: London 1&2, Milan, Padova, Rome, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 1&2, Fenway 1&2  2020: Toronto, Ottawa, Hamilton  2021: London 1&2  2022: Hamilton, Toronto  2023: Chicago 1&2, Noblesville  2024: Seattle 1&2, Noblesville, Wrigley 1&2

• bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,837
    Man, you got everything going for you and still can't kick the drugs.  Very sad.  Catches up to you eventually.    
  • iwasatpj20iwasatpj20 Posts: 3,410
    Man, you got everything going for you and still can't kick the drugs.  Very sad.  Catches up to you eventually.    
    Sad but true
    2000 - Chicago, IL
    2003 - Champaign, IL
    2006 - Chicago, IL 1 & 2
    2007 - Chicago, IL Lollapalooza
    2009 - Chicago, IL 1 & 2
    2010 - St. Louis, MO
    2011 - East Troy, WI 1 & 2 (PJ20 Destination Weekend)
    2012 - Atlanta, GA, Missoula, MT
    2013 - Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field), Dallas, TX, Oklahoma City, OK
    2014 - St. Louis, MO, Tulsa, OK, Moline, IL (No Code, IL), Saint Paul, MN, Milwaukee, WI (Yield, WI)
    2016 - Greenville, SC (Vs, SC), Raleigh, NC, Columbia, SC, Boston, MA (Fenway Park 1), Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field 1 & 2)
    2018 - Seattle, WA (Safeco Field 2), Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field 1 & 2), Boston, MA (Fenway Park 2)
    2020 - Nashville, TN, St. Louis, MO, Oklahoma City, OK, Phoenix, AZ, ??
    2022 - Nashville, TN, St. Louis, MO, Oklahoma City, OK, Phoenix, AZ, Las Vegas, NV
    2023 - St. Paul, MN 2, Fort Worth, TX 2, Austin, TX 1, and Austin, TX 2
    2024 - Portland, OR and Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field 1 & 2)

2012 - Temple of the Dog East Troy, WI (PJ20 Destination Weekend)
    2014 - Soundgarden Tinley Park, IL (with Nine Inch Nails)
    2014 - Alice in Chains Davenport, IA
    2016 - Chris Cornell Solo Madison, WI and Peoria, IL (official hometown show)
    2016 - Temple of the Dog San Francisco, CA (both shows)
    2017 - Soundgarden Dallas (cancelled) RIP Chris Cornell
    2018 - Smashing Pumpkins Chicago, IL (first show)
    2019 - Alice in Chains Milwaukee, WI
    2022 - Jerry Cantrell Chicago, IL
    2023 - Jerry Cantrell Milwaukee, WI

RIP Andrew Wood, Kurt Cobain, Layne Staley, and Chris Cornell

RIP Mom (may your star shine the brightest in the sky, our family loves and misses you very much, we'll meet again)

Have drugs been confirmed as the cause of death? 
  • CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,774
    I saw the NY post suggest it, but who knows at this point…

• bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,837
    That's what the unconfirmed reports seem to be saying.  
  • JV130312JV130312 Posts: 2,457
    not only was he a great drummer...what a great story teller and a funny guy.  paired with grohl, the two were hilarious.  ill miss him a lot.  rip.
    I Know All The Rules But The Rules Do Not Know Me.
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,710
    Well, they did say before if any of the FF died, the band would be done. Easy to say when you don’t expect it to happen. Who knows. 

Still processing this. Going to The Watchmen tonight. I’m sure it will be a touch somber. 
    I don’t think the foo fighters exist anymore. I think they could replace some people, I don’t see them replacing Taylor
  • GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 10,688
    That's what the unconfirmed reports seem to be saying.  
    I’m not going to pay attention to those reports until the official toxicology report comes out. The NY Post is a rag. 

I don’t think the foo fighters exist anymore. I think they could replace some people, I don’t see them replacing Taylor
    I think Grohl takes some time to figure it out… I could honestly see it going either way. He could keep Foo going & honor Hawkins, but after 25 years or so, he was such a major part of the band. 

Brutal decision for Grohl to have to make. 

re: the unconfirmed drugs report… I’ll wait for confirmation. 
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,710
    edited March 2022

I think Grohl takes some time to figure it out… I could honestly see it going either way. He could keep Foo going & honor Hawkins, but after 25 years or so, he was such a major part of the band. 

Brutal decision for Grohl to have to make. 

re: the unconfirmed drugs report… I’ll wait for confirmation. 
    And from all accounts one of his best friends in the world. I just don’t see how someone else sits back there.

Maybe some Who like iteration 10 years from now. Tough time seeing it anytime “soon”
    Post edited by Cliffy6745 on
    The preliminary urinalysis says 10 different narcotics found in his body. THC, opioids, anti depressants, etc. 

www.headstonesband.com